Bowls

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bowls

Postby durkcal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:37 pm

I'm good with the players decision. They did a great job this season and gave us a ton of football entertainment! :screamyeagle
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Sounds like players decided they’d rather head home and relax, which I fully support

agreed.

these kids are going to need to be back for winter training in 6 weeks.

why go into lockdown again for a couple of more weeks for a game that there's a decent chance it doesn't get played and you don't get any of the side benefits of being in a bowl

Well, you do get extra practice which this group could have certainly used, but Gen Z is gonna Gen Z.

Snide.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Taking care of the boys. 100% the right call by Hafley to support this decision. Not to mention the trust and confidence he just built within the team for his leadership. Can’t overstate how impactful this decision by Hafley is going to be to get buy in from this team, recruits, and their families.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:50 pm

I think this was the right call, certainly by Hafley to support the players, and even the players, who did a great job this year avoiding COVID and getting in a full season. A bowl is not going to be the reward it normally is, and I don't know if in this season those extra weeks of practice will mean as much as they normally do.

In a fucked up year, they did a great job beating adversity and a good job on the field. They should be rewarded, and if the reward they choose is family rather than a bowl, than good for them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They should be rewarded, and if the reward they choose is family rather than a bowl, than good for them.

100% agreed.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:We're not going bowling.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1 ... 2163969025

No problem with this if it was the players' decision (and it sounds like it was).

Agreed. The last Hafley conference where he said "I think so" in response to whether the kids were excited about a bowl... and then went on to talk about how tired the team was (as a partial excuse for sucking against UVA)... was an omen that this was coming. BC players were more diligent than any other group in the country. That is how they effectively avoided an outbreak. To do that for another month, through Xmas and New Years, would require even more sacrifice. Why bother? This is the same group who have had successive bowl games cancelled on them. There is nothing to say that, after spending an additional month in the bubble, THIS bowl game wouldn't be cancelled due to a local politician or an outbreak by the opponent. I'm glad they pulled the plug on the season, but sad to see Grosel not get the chance to further his reputation as BC's version of Ian Book.

Ian Book has thrown fewer interceptions in his last 15 games then Grosel did in the embarrassing UVA loss. Now if Phil's knee still needs more time and we were going to have to play in a bowl with a kid who should be playing MAC Ball on Tuesday nights on The Ocho, then perhaps this was a sound decision to avoid further embarrassment.

So... you finally admit that Tommy Rees was right.

I'll also take the moment to point out that only one BC player was able to beat out Ian Book... Grosel for ACC QB of the Week.

We will never know if he was right. I would have liked to see Jurk playing behind an OL that could keep him upright and having time to stretch defenses with passes longer than 35 yards downfield. Book has had a great season, no doubt, but Jurk has a lot more upside and it would have been nice if they had attempted develop him. Anyway, next year they will have Brendan Clark and we will have Jurk. I'd much rather be us than them from a QB perspective going forward.

You know who has no upside? Dennis Grosel. And his multi-turnover performance was as worthy of that award as the chick squib kicker's SEC Award. Weird to see you doing an affirmative action flex/cake and ice cream award for Denny G, but 2020 is a strange year I suppose.

Can’t (and won’t) Ian Book come back next year? I don’t see him going top 2 rounds in this draft and there’s less of a good QB crop for next year’s draft.

Book is gone. He signed up for the Senior Bowl. He is now projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder which is significantly higher than what he was projected at before this year and than what he is likely to be projected if he exposes himself to another year of college ball. His goal is to be Colt McCoy—the perpetual back up who grinds out 10-12 years in the league by being a good guy in the QB Room, who is smart enough to learn whatever offense he needs to absorb and has enough tricks up his sleeve to win the random spot start every three or four years. He will walk away with close to $100 million in 12 years under such a scenario—far more than Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen or Curtis Painter, all of whom were taken well ahead of McCoy in the draft cleared in their aborted careers. Of course, behind a competent O-line, Jurk will be a first rounder and clear a couple of hundred million before he is done.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:40 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

No problem with this if it was the players' decision (and it sounds like it was).

Agreed. The last Hafley conference where he said "I think so" in response to whether the kids were excited about a bowl... and then went on to talk about how tired the team was (as a partial excuse for sucking against UVA)... was an omen that this was coming. BC players were more diligent than any other group in the country. That is how they effectively avoided an outbreak. To do that for another month, through Xmas and New Years, would require even more sacrifice. Why bother? This is the same group who have had successive bowl games cancelled on them. There is nothing to say that, after spending an additional month in the bubble, THIS bowl game wouldn't be cancelled due to a local politician or an outbreak by the opponent. I'm glad they pulled the plug on the season, but sad to see Grosel not get the chance to further his reputation as BC's version of Ian Book.

Ian Book has thrown fewer interceptions in his last 15 games then Grosel did in the embarrassing UVA loss. Now if Phil's knee still needs more time and we were going to have to play in a bowl with a kid who should be playing MAC Ball on Tuesday nights on The Ocho, then perhaps this was a sound decision to avoid further embarrassment.

I'll also take the moment to point out that only one BC player was able to beat out Ian Book... Grosel for ACC QB of the Week.

We will never know if he was right. I would have liked to see Jurk playing behind an OL that could keep him upright and having time to stretch defenses with passes longer than 35 yards downfield. Book has had a great season, no doubt, but Jurk has a lot more upside and it would have been nice if they had attempted develop him. Anyway, next year they will have Brendan Clark and we will have Jurk. I'd much rather be us than them from a QB perspective going forward.

You know who has no upside? Dennis Grosel. And his multi-turnover performance was as worthy of that award as the chick squib kicker's SEC Award. Weird to see you doing an affirmative action flex/cake and ice cream award for Denny G, but 2020 is a strange year I suppose.

Can’t (and won’t) Ian Book come back next year? I don’t see him going top 2 rounds in this draft and there’s less of a good QB crop for next year’s draft.

Book is gone. He signed up for the Senior Bowl. He is now projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder which is significantly higher than what he was projected at before this year and than what he is likely to be projected if he exposes himself to another year of college ball. His goal is to be Colt McCoy—the perpetual back up who grinds out 10-12 years in the league by being a good guy in the QB Room, who is smart enough to learn whatever offense he needs to absorb and has enough tricks up his sleeve to win the random spot start every three or four years. He will walk away with close to $100 million in 12 years under such a scenario—far more than Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen or Curtis Painter, all of whom were taken well ahead of McCoy in the draft cleared in their aborted careers. Of course, behind a competent O-line, Jurk will be a first rounder and clear a couple of hundred million before he is done.

I had legitimately forgotten about Sam Bradford. Sirius XM had offices in my building when I worked on 6th Avenue in midtown and you’d see Brady Quinn in the lobby quite often. He’s carved out a nice career on college sports radio.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I had legitimately forgotten about Sam Bradford. Sirius XM had offices in my building when I worked on 6th Avenue in midtown and you’d see Brady Quinn in the lobby quite often. He’s carved out a nice career on college sports radio.

Sam Bradford made like 150 million
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Colt McCoy was also a 3rd rounder and has made about $20M. Curtis Painter was a 6th rounder. Jimmy Clausen is the only example that made sense. I would say maybe you're mixing him up with Blaine Gabbert but he was a first round pick. And neither Chases Keenum or Daniel isn't going to come close to $100M.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:42 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:13 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The Big10 played this year only because Ohio State demanded it so they could walk into the playoffs by playing in a sub-MAC conference. B10 had a minimum games played requirement to make the Championship game... which they waived because OSU didn't meet it. The Big Ten has become more beholden to Ohio State than B12 has Texas.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -game-rule

So... to further this joke of a conference... in order for Ohio State not be restricted in anyway regarding quarantining players, the Big Ten changed their requirements yet again. This means that Olave and Browning can conveniently play against Clemson.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ys-17-days
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They should be rewarded, and if the reward they choose is family rather than a bowl, than good for them.

100% agreed.

I have had some time to think about this. I am only 50% agreed.

I am of the opinion that if its going to be up to the players to decide if there will be a bowl game, then the vote should only be for the seniors who are most likely putting away their football pads for the very last time, never to wear them again. Once its over, its over. And maybe all the underclassmen want to be home for these covid-19 holidays but the Seniors may have a different opinion.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:The Big10 played this year only because Ohio State demanded it so they could walk into the playoffs by playing in a sub-MAC conference. B10 had a minimum games played requirement to make the Championship game... which they waived because OSU didn't meet it. The Big Ten has become more beholden to Ohio State than B12 has Texas.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -game-rule

So... to further this joke of a conference... in order for Ohio State not be restricted in anyway regarding quarantining players, the Big Ten changed their requirements yet again. This means that Olave and Browning can conveniently play against Clemson.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ys-17-days

the big likes to pretend they care about the student athlete more than the backwards hicks in the acc / sec until they don't

can't start the season because we care more about student athlete health (and then they saw the acc / sec kick off with no problem)
we'll pay for daily testing so we can snuff out outbreaks before they happen (half the minnesota team was in quarantine, wisconsin lost all their qbs, etc.)

at least the pac doesn't even pretend to care about football
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

100% agreed.

I have had some time to think about this. I am only 50% agreed.

I am of the opinion that if its going to be up to the players to decide if there will be a bowl game, then the vote should only be for the seniors who are most likely putting away their football pads for the very last time, never to wear them again. Once its over, its over. And maybe all the underclassmen want to be home for these covid-19 holidays but the Seniors may have a different opinion.

semi agree, they should rank the players by age and assign those players points from 1 (youngest) to 115 (oldest). those points will be the weight of their vote. as much as you may not like it, everyone has a vote in america but we can create the 2020 3/5ths compromise
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:37 pm

It looks like BC made the right call in backing out of the bowl game. USC east our likely opponent in our likely bowl game just cancelled due to the Wu Flu.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium