Bowls

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bowls

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 am

Looks like the ACC and ESPN are going to take bowls from other conferences and put BC in something.

Speculation includes:
Boca vs UCF (AC hosting the name tag event?)

Or St Pete vs BYU

Both those would be good games so we will probably get someone shitty in Shreveport.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Bowls

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:36 am

I think the Gasparilla is better just in terms of the date.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:14 pm

BYU would do bad things to BC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BYU would do bad things to BC

I thought so until this weekend. They are not that great.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:14 pm

UCF would put up 100 on us.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:03 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Looks like the ACC and ESPN are going to take bowls from other conferences and put BC in something.

Speculation includes:

Or St Pete vs BYU

Both those would be good games so we will probably get someone shitty in Shreveport.

Figures this will be the year we get a bowl in a location worth going to.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Looks like the ACC and ESPN are going to take bowls from other conferences and put BC in something.

Speculation includes:

Or St Pete vs BYU

Figures this will be the year we get a bowl in a location worth going to.

This.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:47 pm

The only reason BC is potentially going to desirable bowl locations is because of this year. Everyone is sending a shitty contingent, not just BC, so BC is actually an interesting choice for once.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 pm

The Big10 played this year only because Ohio State demanded it so they could walk into the playoffs by playing in a sub-MAC conference. B10 had a minimum games played requirement to make the Championship game... which they waived because OSU didn't meet it. The Big Ten has become more beholden to Ohio State than B12 has Texas.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -game-rule
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The Big10 played this year only because Ohio State demanded it so they could walk into the playoffs by playing in a sub-MAC conference. B10 had a minimum games played requirement to make the Championship game... which they waived because OSU didn't meet it. The Big Ten has become more beholden to Ohio State than B12 has Texas.

This is what happens when your conference is both trash on the field and corrupt off the field.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:59 am

They also get a $6M payout if OSU makes the playoffs. I'm guessing that's driving the changes more than anything.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The Big10 played this year only because Ohio State demanded it so they could walk into the playoffs by playing in a sub-MAC conference. B10 had a minimum games played requirement to make the Championship game... which they waived because OSU didn't meet it. The Big Ten has become more beholden to Ohio State than B12 has Texas.

In 0.0hio St's defense, they were one of the 3 Big Whatever schools that voted against cancelling the season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:19 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

In 0.0hio St's defense, they were one of the 3 Big Whatever schools that voted against cancelling the season.

That's not really a defense. They still went along with it (while Nebraska was exploring ways to play elsewhere for a season). At the end of the day, they will have played 6 games against terrible opponents. Should they get a spot over an undefeated Cincy team with 10 games or an undefeated USC team with 5 games? Probably. But, they shouldn't replace Bama or ND if they lose in the championship game against Florida and Clemson. And, I think there is an argument to be made that TAMU is more deserving than OSU, Cincy or USC. OSU passes the eye test based upon the names on the backs of the jersey. But, they haven't shown a thing on the field yet (as even Cincy had a more difficult schedule).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

That's not really a defense. They still went along with it (while Nebraska was exploring ways to play elsewhere for a season). At the end of the day, they will have played 6 games against terrible opponents. Should they get a spot over an undefeated Cincy team with 10 games or an undefeated USC team with 5 games? Probably. But, they shouldn't replace Bama or ND if they lose in the championship game against Florida and Clemson. And, I think there is an argument to be made that TAMU is more deserving than OSU, Cincy or USC. OSU passes the eye test based upon the names on the backs of the jersey. But, they haven't shown a thing on the field yet (as even Cincy had a more difficult schedule).

This. Ohio State played one top 20 opponent at home and were lucky to escape with the win. I don't think anyone who watched Fields toss 5 INTs against the one semi-competent defense he played thinks that version of Ohio State would have a chance in hell against Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida or A&M. Ohio State is basically USC with much higher preseason expectations. Frankly, I think the Playoff Committee should tell them they need to play Cincinnati for the winner to be considered--although at this point I think Cincy has a much better resume and case for making the playoffs. Ditto for A&M who apparently has called tOSU out and offered to play them anytime, anywhere. Florida also has a stronger case, but I expect that Bama will beat them and with two losses they'll be out off the conversation.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am

i'm all for an atm/osu game if only because atm is teeming with covaids. it would be glorious to infect the buckies and render them unable to participate in post-season play because of the 'rona. the perfect ending to an imperfect 2020
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

This. Ohio State played one top 20 opponent at home and were lucky to escape with the win. I don't think anyone who watched Fields toss 5 INTs against the one semi-competent defense he played thinks that version of Ohio State would have a chance in hell against Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida or A&M. Ohio State is basically USC with much higher preseason expectations. Frankly, I think the Playoff Committee should tell them they need to play Cincinnati for the winner to be considered--although at this point I think Cincy has a much better resume and case for making the playoffs. Ditto for A&M who apparently has called tOSU out and offered to play them anytime, anywhere. Florida also has a stronger case, but I expect that Bama will beat them and with two losses they'll be out off the conversation.

In no way am I arguing that a 7-0 Ohio St (best win against f-ing Indiana) from a garbage conference should be among the 4 teams vying for the National Championship. It is just not their fault that the rest of the conference voted to cancel the season and then Harbaugh pulled a FSU on them. Whatever, everything about 0.0hio St sucks!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am

On an aside... I am genuinely surprised the way both Michigan and FSU quit this year. I hope this leaves a lasting, reputation-damaging stain on both inflated programs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:51 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:We're not going bowling.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1 ... 2163969025

No problem with this if it was the players' decision (and it sounds like it was).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Sounds like players decided they’d rather head home and relax, which I fully support
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:On an aside... I am genuinely surprised the way both Michigan and FSU quit this year. I hope this leaves a lasting, reputation-damaging stain on both inflated programs.

FSU, I sort of understand. The Athletic Department is 30 or 40 million in the hole to begin with, hosting an attendee-less football game is apparently a big money loser as is traveling to play in front of zero fans. Plus they suck with the power of 1,000,000 million Hoovers and their existence on Clemson or Notre Dame's schedule is a net negative for SoS, so I wouldn't be surprised if the conference was fine with them shutting it down once they had Notre Dame and Clemson positioned for two slots in the CFP.

Michigan is different. They are as wealthy an Athletic Department as exists in college sports They apparently spearheaded the effort to kill the season and then caved when tOSU threatened them. Once the season started they sucked ass and then pulled the plug in a manner that has jeopardized tOSU's ability to make the playoffs--costing the conference money. Plus, there are no bigger collection of douchebags on the planet than Michigan sports fans--both alums and Walmart Wolverines are the absolute worst, edging tOSU fans by a nose. The rest of that conference needs to gang up on Michigan and strip it of any influence in the league office going forward.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Sounds like players decided they’d rather head home and relax, which I fully support

agreed.

these kids are going to need to be back for winter training in 6 weeks.

why go into lockdown again for a couple of more weeks for a game that there's a decent chance it doesn't get played and you don't get any of the side benefits of being in a bowl
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Sounds like players decided they’d rather head home and relax, which I fully support

agreed.

these kids are going to need to be back for winter training in 6 weeks.

why go into lockdown again for a couple of more weeks for a game that there's a decent chance it doesn't get played and you don't get any of the side benefits of being in a bowl

Well, you do get extra practice which this group could have certainly used, but Gen Z is gonna Gen Z.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

No problem with this if it was the players' decision (and it sounds like it was).

Agreed. The last Hafley conference where he said "I think so" in response to whether the kids were excited about a bowl... and then went on to talk about how tired the team was (as a partial excuse for sucking against UVA)... was an omen that this was coming. BC players were more diligent than any other group in the country. That is how they effectively avoided an outbreak. To do that for another month, through Xmas and New Years, would require even more sacrifice. Why bother? This is the same group who have had successive bowl games cancelled on them. There is nothing to say that, after spending an additional month in the bubble, THIS bowl game wouldn't be cancelled due to a local politician or an outbreak by the opponent. I'm glad they pulled the plug on the season, but sad to see Grosel not get the chance to further his reputation as BC's version of Ian Book.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Agreed. The last Hafley conference where he said "I think so" in response to whether the kids were excited about a bowl... and then went on to talk about how tired the team was (as a partial excuse for sucking against UVA)... was an omen that this was coming. BC players were more diligent than any other group in the country. That is how they effectively avoided an outbreak. To do that for another month, through Xmas and New Years, would require even more sacrifice. Why bother? This is the same group who have had successive bowl games cancelled on them. There is nothing to say that, after spending an additional month in the bubble, THIS bowl game wouldn't be cancelled due to a local politician or an outbreak by the opponent. I'm glad they pulled the plug on the season, but sad to see Grosel not get the chance to further his reputation as BC's version of Ian Book.

Ian Book has thrown fewer interceptions in his last 15 games then Grosel did in the embarrassing UVA loss. Now if Phil's knee still needs more time and we were going to have to play in a bowl with a kid who should be playing MAC Ball on Tuesday nights on The Ocho, then perhaps this was a sound decision to avoid further embarrassment.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Ian Book has thrown fewer interceptions in his last 15 games then Grosel did in the embarrassing UVA loss. Now if Phil's knee still needs more time and we were going to have to play in a bowl with a kid who should be playing MAC Ball on Tuesday nights on The Ocho, then perhaps this was a sound decision to avoid further embarrassment.

So... you finally admit that Tommy Rees was right.

I'll also take the moment to point out that only one BC player was able to beat out Ian Book... Grosel for ACC QB of the Week.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I'm sure this decision was made easier by the fact that everyone who should be leaving has another year of eligibility if he so desires. That fact makes the decision to go home now and get laid tonight a no brainer.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I'll also take the moment to point out that only one BC player was able to beat out Ian Book... Grosel for ACC QB of the Week.

We will never know if he was right. I would have liked to see Jurk playing behind an OL that could keep him upright and having time to stretch defenses with passes longer than 35 yards downfield. Book has had a great season, no doubt, but Jurk has a lot more upside and it would have been nice if they had attempted develop him. Anyway, next year they will have Brendan Clark and we will have Jurk. I'd much rather be us than them from a QB perspective going forward.

You know who has no upside? Dennis Grosel. And his multi-turnover performance was as worthy of that award as the chick squib kicker's SEC Award. Weird to see you doing an affirmative action flex/cake and ice cream award for Denny G, but 2020 is a strange year I suppose.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm

lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:I'm sure this decision was made easier by the fact that everyone who should be leaving has another year of eligibility if he so desires. That fact makes the decision to go home now and get laid tonight a no brainer.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

We will never know if he was right. I would have liked to see Jurk playing behind an OL that could keep him upright and having time to stretch defenses with passes longer than 35 yards downfield. Book has had a great season, no doubt, but Jurk has a lot more upside and it would have been nice if they had attempted develop him. Anyway, next year they will have Brendan Clark and we will have Jurk. I'd much rather be us than them from a QB perspective going forward.

You know who has no upside? Dennis Grosel. And his multi-turnover performance was as worthy of that award as the chick squib kicker's SEC Award. Weird to see you doing an affirmative action flex/cake and ice cream award for Denny G, but 2020 is a strange year I suppose.

Can’t (and won’t) Ian Book come back next year? I don’t see him going top 2 rounds in this draft and there’s less of a good QB crop for next year’s draft.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium