Official Gameday Thread - BC at UVA - 12/5/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at UVA - 12/5/2020

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Please enough of this. It's over. We want to watch York's crew.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:57 pm

I for one am so sick of announcers feeling so much pity for all of our sports that they talk about moral victories every week.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Great performance from Grosel. Complete shit show on D.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:58 pm

Grosel 520 yards. There is no room to even speak about him tonight...most yards in BC history???!!!

This defense, however...
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Dennis Grosel... most passing yards in a game in the history of BC football. 520 yards.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:00 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Grosel 520 yards. There is no room to even speak about him tonight...most yards in BC history???!!!

This defense, however...

What do you mean there is no room to speak about him tonight?

He threw 3 interceptions in addition to around 200 garbage time yards.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm

The kid played 3 times this year. One play at Clemson - converted a fourth down. A half against Louisville - two touchdowns to win the game. Finally gets ONE start - ties the school's all-time yardage record.

And no one else has ANY doubt about personnel decisions made throughout the season? Even when the starter had a separated shoulder? Hafley's judgment is so far beyond reproach we trust him unquestioningly?

Frustrating season - probably no bowl, so that's it.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Grosel just tied Flutie's all time single game passing record exactly at 520 yards. That was vs Penn State in 82, a game in which BC was blown out, by the way.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Grosel 520 yards. There is no room to even speak about him tonight...most yards in BC history???!!!

This defense, however...

He’s the backup QB and did more than enough to win the game. The blame for this result begins and ends with the D. As HJS pointed out earlier, while the INTs all took points off the board, none of them gave UVA good field positions (actually it was uniformly terrible field position).
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:05 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Great performance from Grosel. Complete shit show on D.

This
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:06 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

Zero running game and pass protection that was lacking. Dude got laid out on every play.

Go fuck yourself

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

He’s the backup QB and did more than enough to win the game. The blame for this result begins and ends with the D. As HJS pointed out earlier, while the INTs all took points off the board, none of them gave UVA good field positions (actually it was uniformly terrible field position).

I'd don't blame Grosel for the result, but to pretend he was amazing tonight because he threw for a lot of yards against a porous UVa secondary is silly to me. It's putting lipstick on a pig.

He also didn't do more than enough to win the game. You don't win many games turning the ball over 3 times.
Last edited by eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

Zero running game and pass protection that was lacking. Dude got laid out on every play.

Go fuck yourself

lol
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:12 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

I'd don't blame Grosel for the result, but to pretend he was amazing tonight because he threw for a lot of yards against a porous UVa secondary is silly to me. It's putting lipstick on a pig.

I’m not Grosel booster, but objectively he played a great game. Not “the best game in BC QB history!” But enough to win. More than enough. We never stopped UVA.

I love this staff. I love the direction of that program. And I look forward to reminiscing about how a few excellent recruits could turn around a defense. But I also think it’s fair to scratch your head about “Hafley the defensive guru” when we played so incredibly poorly on the road against both UVA and VT.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:14 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

I’m not Grosel booster, but objectively he played a great game. Not “the best game in BC QB history!” But enough to win. More than enough. We never stopped UVA.

I love this staff. I love the direction of that program. And I look forward to reminiscing about how a few excellent recruits could turn around a defense. But I also think it’s fair to scratch your head about “Hafley the defensive guru” when we played so incredibly poorly on the road against both UVA and VT.

Why would you not be a booster of someone who played an objectively great game?

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:14 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

Agree to disagree. Sorry, I'm not impressed by garbage time puff stats.

I will admit, Grosel was better than I expected. But that's just cause my expectations were really low.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:14 pm

great? eh, let's stick with good enough to win
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:great? eh, let's stick with good enough to win

It’s here. Those INTs were crippling and a ton of those yards are junk time.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Fine but it’s splitting hairs. He did much better than most of us expected. And definitely did enough to win. If he threw for 519 yards people might be less touchy. Idk.

Notice that no one is defending our D.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:22 pm

We played worse defenses than UVA this year and didn't throw for 500 yards and 4 touchdowns.

If Sam Johnson threw for 500 yards today, why do I get the impression no one here would be downplaying the accomplishment? Because he's tall?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:45 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Fine but it’s splitting hairs. He did much better than most of us expected. And definitely did enough to win. If he threw for 519 yards people might be less touchy. Idk.

Notice that no one is defending our D.

no question. this game was on the defense. not going to win too many games allowing 6 drives >60 yards
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 pm

C'mon guys, you can't pick and choose which stats to use to evaluate the performance. Use all the stats or don't (or put his stats sheet into a Dominion machine to erase the INTS :whammy ). Gotta give credit to this kid, he's a huge character guy on this team and I think exceeded expectations today. Considering the running game was shit, this could have been REAL ugly if he wasn't able to do throw the ball around the way he did.

520 yards --> cool.
3 picks (2 of which were critical before the game was in hand for UVA) --> pretty critical mistakes.

Either way, the takeaway here isn't Grosel, it's the still the defense. It's a horrific pile of shit. I'm not sure what the roster will look like next season or who we can transfer in, but I am a little scared for next season's defense as well.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I think the second half has gone exactly as the head coach wanted it to go.

This schtick has jumped the shark a very, very long time ago.

around november 3rd

Around 2013
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 pm

This defense, however...

He threw 3 absolutely atrocious picks. He's a short, dumb, no arm Drew Bledsoe.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

But wasn’t the reason we lost. Calling him dumb also seems kinda harsh.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

Who gives a fuck if he's the reason they lost? He wasn't good and the first two picks were fucking stupid.

He said there was no reason to speak about him tonight. I'll speak. With Jurk they win that game despite the terrible defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:28 pm

Even the completed passes were underthrown. Several times WRs came back to the ball and bailed him out on this absolutely terrible HS secondary. Just doesn't have the arm.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This defense, however...

Who gives a fuck if he's the reason they lost? He wasn't good and the first two picks were fucking stupid.

He said there was no reason to speak about him tonight. I'll speak. With Jurk they win that game despite the terrible defense.

Jurk hasn’t been good since the first half of Clemson. He may have broken (instead of tying) the record, but I don’t think we win. The D couldn’t stop them and we couldn’t run the ball and our specials sucked. If Jurk was like he was earlier in the season, we could win in spite of the entire team failures. But, we haven’t seen that version of Jurk in a long time.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:40 pm

14 carries.... 36 yards.

Almost as bad as the lack of tackling by the defense.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Even the completed passes were underthrown. Several times WRs came back to the ball and bailed him out on this absolutely terrible HS secondary. Just doesn't have the arm.

Grosel was late with the ball. Stared down his receivers. Underthrew almost every pass. He still goes down as the best single game passer in history.

We were going for win 7 against a .500 opponent. When the QB passes for 520 yards, you should win. They didn’t. That sure as shit isn’t the blame of the QB. If this was Jurk playing today with those exact numbers, everyone would be focusing on the D and the inability to run the ball and talking about how this game proves Jurk is better than Ian Book.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium