Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson - 10/31/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson - 10/31/2020

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Someone needs to plant Etienne right now.

Jesus you're a greased, smelly hole.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:46 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Honestly, color me completely underwhelmed by our coaching staff.

From top to bottom.

OK Daz.

I thought they did ok. The one thing I don’t understand is not blitzing a freshman QB in his first start. We’re they that worried about Etienne?
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:46 pm

lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:Stop saying this is like the 91 Miami game- BC finished strong in that game, roared back in the second half, and ran out of time. Today they turtled at halftime. Also, no Coughlin team ever had 11 miles in stupid penalties. This is like Jagozinski and Ryan. Ryan made Jagozinski look good, and that's all Jagz had. This Hapley guy is the new Jagz, and Jurkewicz is Ryan with 1/3 of Ryan's talent. Brian Kelly saw what I see. Kelly isn't stupid. Hapley isn't what you idiots think he is. Wait and see.

This was a little too obvious but well done. Need more caps.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:47 pm

I was in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand over Columbus Day weekend 21 years ago. I remember watching BC and :toby go up 28-0 over Miami. I couldn't believe my eyes. And then BC gave up (what?) 31 straight points and lost. I couldn't believe my eyes.

This loss wasn't quite as bad as that, but it was pretty close.

I am feeling (right now) the same way I felt when BC lost at Clemson back in 2014. And those teams were completely opposite since that 2014 team had an offensive line that no only contributed, but was a game changer.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:47 pm

We let them repeatedly cheap shot our best player and did not retaliate. Afterthe pile drive shot on Jurk, Etienne should have left that field with a knee sprain or broken ankle—an easily done thing in a pile up.
Last edited by Dick Rosenthal on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't dial it down with a lead against that team and then try to dial it back up. Game was lost in the third quarter when they tried to run clock.

correct

i get what they were doing on last real drive, trying to thread the needle of score with little time.

dabo remains moronic. you have 5* everywhere, a tired D and a 250 lb qb you can't get 6 inches?

kudos for tess for calling out the horseshit onside kick we recoeved against UNC
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:48 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Honestly, color me completely underwhelmed by our coaching staff.

From top to bottom.

OK Daz.

I thought they did ok. The one thing I don’t understand is not blitzing a freshman QB in his first start. We’re they that worried about Etienne?

They did early. It worked. Another way they went conservative.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Great effort by the team and coaching staff against the Number 1 team in the nation that hasn’t lost at home or anywhere in a long time. Knowing that we still made a ton of mistakes is encouraging. When we clean that shit up, we are going to be a really top team.

Kudos to Grosel for making a do-or-die fourth down conversion. Never expected in a million years giving him or tessitore props in a huge game like this.
Last edited by hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't dial it down with a lead against that team and then try to dial it back up. Game was lost in the third quarter when they tried to run clock.

Agree but the penalties killed them. The FS on Vrabel may have been the play of the game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:

From top to bottom.

OK Daz.

They did early. It worked. Another way they went conservative.

Frustrating, but this team doesn’t yet have the experience ( in this system ) or players to play the way the coaches want. You can see that they have a plan but not the players
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:51 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

i get what they were doing on last real drive, trying to thread the needle of score with little time.

dabo remains moronic. you have 5* everywhere, a tired D and a 250 lb qb you can't get 6 inches?

kudos for tess for calling out the horseshit onside kick we recoeved against UNC

The last drive was fine until the two stupid deep balls. It was really smart to run clock at that point when you already choked. I'm talking about the third quarter.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:51 pm

The Clemson offense was extremely conservative. With Lawrence in there this might have been a no contest. There’s no shame in having absolutely no answer for Etienne.

With that said, the fucking critical penalties were the most frustrating part of the game.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:52 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Agree but the penalties killed them. The FS on Vrabel may have been the play of the game.

Agree on the penalties and especially that one.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Penalties continue to hurt this team
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:56 pm

And Dabo is an idiot, but let’s be honest, Venables adjusted his defense at halftime and it we did nothing to counter it
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

The last drive was fine until the two stupid deep balls. It was really smart to run clock at that point when you already choked. I'm talking about the third quarter.

That drive was probably the best one of the second half. Fine with taking a shot deep on one of those 2 plays but needed something else for the other one.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:59 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:And Dabo is an idiot, but let’s be honest, Venables adjusted his defense at halftime and it we did nothing to counter it

BC actually adjusted to offense to run clock. Not sure Venables did anything other than luck into BC establishing the run.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

That drive was probably the best one of the second half. Fine with taking a shot deep on one of those 2 plays but needed something else for the other one.

The first deep shot is fin on 3rd and less than 4. But that was like 3rd and 9. Need to get a chunk with a safe throw.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

we're on same page, my was two separate comments regarding 2nd half offensive strategy
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Teddy’s right. They took the foot off the gas to get it into the 4th. Hafley said that was the strategy at halftime... to run the clock and the change. When he said it, I immediately thought... “crap”. Wish he said “28 isn’t enough against this team.”

Give Venables credit. He adjusted at halftime and Jurkovec was confused. When he’s frazzled, he’s really not good. I wonder if he was injured on that play that forced Grosel in. While he was pretty off in the 2nd half, his last 3 snaps were ungodly bad.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm

It’s been a hell of a ride for a pedestrian 4-3.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:04 pm

End of the day, winnable game and it feels like a nut shot but overall it was a good plan and performance and it is tough to get too pissed about it.

Also, that kid at QB is going to be a problem. Other than throwing out routes to his left, he was pretty phenomenal.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

The first deep shot is fin on 3rd and less than 4. But that was like 3rd and 9. Need to get a chunk with a safe throw.

I would have liked some sort of run on third and 9 but I think Levy got abused on 2nd down IIRC so it would have had to been RPO but Jurk had already taken a ton of hits this game. I swear it looked like he had a concussion on that safety. He ran right into the pressure, not sure what he was thinking.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:End of the day, winnable game and it feels like a nut shot but overall it was a good plan and performance and it is tough to get too pissed about it.

Also, that kid at QB is going to be a problem. Other than throwing out routes to his left, he was pretty phenomenal.

This

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Teddy’s right. They took the foot off the gas to get it into the 4th. Hafley said that was the strategy at halftime... to run the clock and the change. When he said it, I immediately thought... “crap”. Wish he said “28 isn’t enough against this team.”

Give Venables credit. He adjusted at halftime and Jurkovec was confused. When he’s frazzled, he’s really not good. I wonder if he was injured on that play that forced Grosel in. While he was pretty off in the 2nd half, his last 3 snaps were ungodly bad.

Trying to get in a scoring contest against the number 1 team in the country over 60 minutes (with our defense) is a bold strategy.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Trying to get in a scoring contest against the number 1 team in the country over 60 minutes (with our defense) is a bold strategy.

It worked. It was their only chance. Running the ball just gave Clemson more possessions and kept the D on the field.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:10 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:It’s been a hell of a ride for a pedestrian 4-3.

Yea our games have all been absolutely batshit crazy with the exception of last week (and that was a good crazy).
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

It worked. It was their only chance. Running the ball just gave Clemson more possessions and kept the D on the field.

Not saying we should have cracked the rock but adding some more carries into the second half strategy was the right idea just poorly executed. Still can’t understand how the OL and running game has fallen off so much this year. I did not expect the drop off from Dillon to Bailey to be these big.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:11 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:The Clemson offense was extremely conservative. With Lawrence in there this might have been a no contest. There’s no shame in having absolutely no answer for Etienne.

With that said, the fucking critical penalties were the most frustrating part of the game.

Agree with this, plus they don’t quite have the players yet. Incidentally the latter is why they don’t sweat at least the pass interference and other energy penalties. They need to play on or past the edge on games like this. Give an early bump in coverage 5 times and bet they only call a couple.

Playing with energy to compensate for lesser talent also includes say hitting the QB a beat too late and risking roughing the passer, so that you follow through on the pass rush. But it doesn’t mean make like McDuffie and take 3 more steps then hit the QB. Nor does it mean getting the count wrong and jumping into a false start.

The staff was hoping the first half passing loosened up the run defense so that they could run the ball and shorten the game. Not so much; the line’s still a problem, especially in pass blocking. But overall I’m really pleased with how they did. As I said before, “Proof of Concept”. They can tell really high-end recruiting targets that they can make the difference.

Even if Hafley leaves soon, this is far more sustainable than Jags. It’s what should have happened after Coughlin if they hadn’t bought the Dan Henning hype.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

correct

He started pressuring up the middle causing Jurk to come of his spot and stunted and twisted the slime which clearly confuses the Oline. This also took away the deep routes which take time to develop.

LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium