VTech Week

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: VTech Week

Postby angrychicken on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:The over-under is 64.5? What? VT's last game was 56-45...

Under
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:The over-under is 64.5? What? VT's last game was 56-45...

Seems reasonable. That is a whole lot of points to cover but BC's defense has not been great in 4 games (average at best) and vpi scores a ton with a marginal defense. I'd probably bet the over. It might creep up a bit over the next few hours.

I learned my lesson on over-unders 3 years ago when Texas-A&M and Johnny Football played Duke in whatever bowl that was, Citrus/Peach or whatever it was. The O/U was 72 and I took the under and LOST. Duke scored 38 points all by themselves in the first half.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:22 am

eagletx wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:bc is 17-2-1 ATS in last 20 acc games as underdogs

I can understand being underdogs this week, but it's now up to 13 points. Seems high, but not sure how much longer BC can have success without being able to run the ball. And of course, Herbert killed us last year.

This. I still am perplexed by the complete absence of success running the ball. As of right now, the fact that 4 OL players were returnees was hype over substance. Seems that the RB's are more than serviceable, so the fault has to be on the interior, and it has to catch up with them unless they can turn it around. 10 men in the box only goes so far as an excuse, especially with a guy like Jurkovec, so maybe the play calling needs to change up a bit too to exploit that. But Jurk I think has been sacked more than every ACC QB but one (Divito)...so line has some issues.

This.

Yeah, they have issues. Understatement of the season.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:23 am

They aren't running the ball because they don't care. The best players on offense are the QB and the top 2 pass catchers. The line needs to get its crap together but not to run the ball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:33 am

twballgame9 wrote:They aren't running the ball because they don't care. The best players on offense are the QB and the top 2 pass catchers. The line needs to get its crap together but not to run the ball.

I expect Cignetti will try again today since VT run defense is not great.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 am

twballgame9 wrote:They aren't running the ball because they don't care. The best players on offense are the QB and the top 2 pass catchers. The line needs to get its crap together but not to run the ball.

An effective running attack would make those three players more effective. It also isn’t a terrible thing to get the D some added rest at the end of a game while playing with the lead. But, we ain’t doing anything until the OL gets it shit together (which is looking more and more like on off-season task with a real OL coach).
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 am

Herbstreit loves him some BC Eagles
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 am

HJS wrote:

An effective running attack would make those three players more effective. It also isn’t a terrible thing to get the D some added rest at the end of a game while playing with the lead. But, we ain’t doing anything until the OL gets it shit together (which is looking more and more like on off-season task with a real OL coach).

I think they need to keep running the ball off the pass to keep the defense honest. That I will agree with. I also agree it would help if they could use Bailey to sit on leads - last weekend being a prime example. But I don't think they need to establish the run to set up the pass, that smacks of battered fan syndrome.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am

I suspect Herbstreit likes to say "former Ohio State co-defensive coordinator"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm

As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:10 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
HJS wrote:

I think they need to keep running the ball off the pass to keep the defense honest. That I will agree with. I also agree it would help if they could use Bailey to sit on leads - last weekend being a prime example. But I don't think they need to establish the run to set up the pass, that smacks of battered fan syndrome.

This. And even throwing the ball a bunch against Pitt didn’t stop them from sitting a bunch of guys in the box. The amount we need to run the ball is not that much. Maybe that changes as we play more games, but teams are still defending the run against us
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Yes. These ACC coaches have faced BC so many times. And they think to themselves, when push comes to shove, I'll trust my pass rush and back seven to win against the BC passing game. But I'm going to leave my defense like it has been in the past. Not going to get tricked into playing them like BC is Washington State and get shredded by BC running game.

BC will try to run the ball with the lead. So for those that want to see better production, hope for an early lead. If we fall behind, they're going to turn to steady diet of Jurk and Long magic. Also note that Va Tech very much knows who Zay Flowers is. He burned them last year.
durkcal
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium