Jags' first full recruiting class

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Jags' first full recruiting class

Postby talon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:49 pm

I know that it's a popular revisionist history to claim that Jags was an awful recruiter, but look at that 2008 class:

Stephen Atkinson
Codi Boek
Nick Clancy
Emmett Cleary
Alexander DiSanzo
Donte Elliott
Donnie Fletcher
Mike Goodman
Josh Haden
Nick Halloran
Montel Harris
Chris Hayden-Martin
Max Holloway
Isaac Johnson
Jerry Kelly
Christian Klein
Colin Larmond
Clyde  Lee
Dominick LeGrande
Bryan Murray
Patrick Neumann
Okechuckwu Okoroha
Ugo Okpara
Chris Pantale
Ryan Quigley
Kaleb Ramsey
Eric Reynolds
Mike Stone
Justin Tuggle
talon
Cushing Hall

Re: Jags' first full recruiting class

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Your sig has a Boise feel to it.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DougBushBC on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Definately a class group, although many of them have a lot to prove still, but they are looking good so far!
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:04 pm

I thought the "official" story was that Jags gave up on recruiting, not necessarily that he was never any good at it.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:06 pm

TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:I thought the "official" story was that Jags gave up on recruiting, not necessarily that he was never any good at it.

Yes, that was the version of the story Coach Flip leaked to the media and recruiting sites.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:09 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:I thought the "official" story was that Jags gave up on recruiting, not necessarily that he was never any good at it.

Yes, that was the version of the story Coach Flip leaked to the media and recruiting sites.

It has the added benefit of being plausible, given the difference between the class in this post and the one that came after.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Jags' only full recruiting class was incredible. That's almost half the 2-deep right there.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:37 pm

That class is seemingly an excellent haul. The one glaring exception is a QB. If there was ever a time to hit on a top QB, that was the year. I still contend they went after the wrong kind of QB, and therefore struck out big time. I'm hopeful that one of the current QB's goes on to a successful career here, or that they bridge the gap significantly for a monster career by Rettig.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:That class is seemingly an excellent haul. The one glaring exception is a QB. If there was ever a time to hit on a top QB, that was the year. I still contend they went after the wrong kind of QB, and therefore struck out big time. I'm hopeful that one of the current QB's goes on to a successful career here, or that they bridge the gap significantly for a monster career by Rettig.

Let's not write off Tuggle yet. He's only played one game and thrown 5 passes.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:That class is seemingly an excellent haul. The one glaring exception is a QB. If there was ever a time to hit on a top QB, that was the year. I still contend they went after the wrong kind of QB, and therefore struck out big time. I'm hopeful that one of the current QB's goes on to a successful career here, or that they bridge the gap significantly for a monster career by Rettig.

Yeah but the staff clearly has no faith in him.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DougBushBC on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:25 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Tuggle might be a good placeholder, but Rettig has the talent to be a superstar, lets hope that as soon as he's available they get him ready and going and don't hold any seniority over him... or was that only a TOBby kinda move?
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:13 am

There are plenty of reasons to dump on Jags, but the whole recruiting thing shouldn't be one of them. You can't say his recruiting sucked and yet keep his recruiting coordinator (who was hand picked by Gene) and you promote the DC who hadn't actively recruited in years.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 am

great class but I agree, jags wasn't a great qb recruiter for our school. We have always had big offensive lineman and pro style quarterbacks so that is who we appeal to. Changing that up hurts what we do get. Jags tried for too harsh a transition, he needed to try and phase pro style qbs out rather than all of a sudden stop. That being said, What the 1-2 punch has done and will do makes this a terrific class.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:51 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:great class but I agree, jags wasn't a great qb recruiter for our school. We have always had big offensive lineman and pro style quarterbacks so that is who we appeal to. Changing that up hurts what we do get. Jags tried for too harsh a transition, he needed to try and phase pro style qbs out rather than all of a sudden stop. That being said, What the 1-2 punch has done and will do makes this a terrific class.

I don't think most people said jags was bad at recruiting. I think it was more what people have mentioned above, that he didn't do a good job with QB and that his second year there was not near enough energy put into recruiting as compared to his first full year.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCFanFormerlyInCuse on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:There are plenty of reasons to dump on Jags, but the whole recruiting thing shouldn't be one of them. You can't say his recruiting sucked and yet keep his recruiting coordinator (who was hand picked by Gene) and you promote the DC who hadn't actively recruited in years.

I'll paraphrase what someone else said in another thread: The best thing Jags did in terms of recruiting was getting speed. We need more and more of it.
BCFanFormerlyInCuse
n00b

Postby tales1727 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:12 pm

DougBushBC {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Tuggle might be a good placeholder, but Rettig has the talent to be a superstar, lets hope that as soon as he's available they get him ready and going and don't hold any seniority over him... or was that only a TOBby kinda move?

Rettig better be damn handsome because everyone knows the only criteria for a qb are seniority and handsomeness.
tales1727
n00b

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Jags was an excellent recruiter in discovering diamonds in the rough. He has had an incredibly high hit rate on 2- and 3-star guys. I agree that he (and more to the point, Logan) focused too little on BC's history and uniqueness when factoring in what kind of QB to recruit. While I think Jags wasn't the greatest recruiter one-on-one and while I think his recruiting strategy was non-existant, I do think he was able to identify talent. Hell, look at guys we missed out on. Even they have turned out to be pretty damn good (hello Jacory Harris).

As I've said before, Jags wasn't a smart guy and was arrogant. That combination ultimately cost him his job. But, it was all things outside of the program (i.e. not kissing the Don's ring enough). Nothing within the that Jags did should be met with anything but gratitude. Unless, of course, you are an old POS who still can't get over Toby not being our coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Jags was an excellent recruiter in discovering diamonds in the rough. He has had an incredibly high hit rate on 2- and 3-star guys. I agree that he (and more to the point, Logan) focused too little on BC's history and uniqueness when factoring in what kind of QB to recruit. While I think Jags wasn't the greatest recruiter one-on-one and while I think his recruiting strategy was non-existant, I do think he was able to identify talent. Hell, look at guys we missed out on. Even they have turned out to be pretty damn good (hello Jacory Harris).

As I've said before, Jags wasn't a smart guy and was arrogant. That combination ultimately cost him his job. But, it was all things outside of the program (i.e. not kissing the Don's ring enough). Nothing within the that Jags did should be met with anything but gratitude. Unless, of course, you are an old POS who still can't get over Toby not being our coach.

Are you prdicting a possible loss to Kent St. this week like you did for Northeastern? :lol:
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Jags was an excellent recruiter in discovering diamonds in the rough. He has had an incredibly high hit rate on 2- and 3-star guys. I agree that he (and more to the point, Logan) focused too little on BC's history and uniqueness when factoring in what kind of QB to recruit. While I think Jags wasn't the greatest recruiter one-on-one and while I think his recruiting strategy was non-existant, I do think he was able to identify talent. Hell, look at guys we missed out on. Even they have turned out to be pretty damn good (hello Jacory Harris).

Are you prdicting a possible loss to Kent St. this week like you did for Northeastern? :lol:

Yes. It is possible that we lose to Kent St.
I know I didn't say that we would possibly lose to Northeaster, but... considering I think that anything is possible, I would've agreed with the comment last week. I never really get the Tobyfiles who follow me around and mock me for shit I never posted. I post enough crap that, if your life was so meaningless that you felt the need to "call me out" on the accuracy of each of my interweb postings, you would have plenty of real material. Sigh... at least this board will get the benefit of viewership from my virtual stalkers.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:38 pm

HJS
n00b

* Report this post

Quick Thoughts

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm
1. Awesome new site. Will really have fun checking things out once I get back from vacation.
2. I don't hold any grudge against those who want to post on the other sites. However, I would wish that said postings would be like Talon's and RevMike's have been on EA... i.e. making the occasional snide remarks. Original thoughts, flames and board wars would ideally be kept here.
3. I predict that we will struggle mightily today. We are eleventy billion times better than Northeastern, but I think Spaz has done a crap job getting these kids mentally ready to start the season. Wouldn't even be THAT surprised by a loss... thought it would be the worst loss in BC history.
4. I predicted the TOB game right on down to the drop pass in the endzone... I predicted that he would've caught it and TOB would have won his usually boring game that made all his fans feel about as horrible as you can feel about a team after a win. But... they lost and Toby is realizing that NCS doesn't have the same magic that BC had.
5. With a good coach, this team is 7-5. With an average coach, this team is 6-6. Let's see where Spaz falls on the scale.

Wouldn't even be THAT surprised by a loss... thought it would be the worst loss in BC history
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Yes. It is possible that we lose to Kent St.
[color=#0040FF]I know I didn't say that we would possibly lose to Northeaster[/color]but... considering I think that anything is possible, I would've agreed with the comment last week. I never really get the Tobyfiles who follow me around and mock me for shit I never posted. I post enough crap that, if your life was so meaningless that you felt the need to "call me out" on the accuracy of each of my interweb postings, you would have plenty of real material. Sigh... at least this board will get the benefit of viewership from my virtual stalkers.

SEE BELOW:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BigPete on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:great class but I agree, jags wasn't a great qb recruiter for our school. We have always had big offensive lineman and pro style quarterbacks so that is who we appeal to. Changing that up hurts what we do get. Jags tried for too harsh a transition, he needed to try and phase pro style qbs out rather than all of a sudden stop. That being said, What the 1-2 punch has done and will do makes this a terrific class.

This is true save that our most iconic player was the exact opposite of a pro style quarterback, and pre-Ryan our best recent QB was also a scrambler (Paul Pete).
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 pm

BigPete {l Wrote}:

This is true save that our most iconic player was the exact opposite of a pro style quarterback, and pre-Ryan our best recent QB was also a scrambler (Paul Pete).

That and everybody is already writing off the QB Jags brought in that's currently on the field. One game. Five passes. No one knows if they didn't land a single decent QB yet or not. Or if the guy's simply filler. And you don't know Rettig is better because he's still in highschool. Chris Crane had more stars than Rettig when he signed up here, so no - you don't know.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:49 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
BigPete {l Wrote}:

That and everybody is already writing off the QB Jags brought in that's currently on the field. One game. Five passes. No one knows if they didn't land a single decent QB yet or not. Or if the guy's simply filler. And you don't know Rettig is better because he's still in highschool. Chris Crane had more stars than Rettig when he signed up here, so no - you don't know.

e4gle1 and oldbaldeagle have already decided that "Tuggle seems like he's a clubhouse cancer" and OJ of course has already decided that he's a bust. :dildodog
Last edited by Endless Mike on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 pm

teddy... Like I said, there is plenty out there if you are so inclined... just use what I freaking write.

Eagledom's question asked if I was predicting another possible loss. I'll predict that it is possible we lose every game we play now until the end of time. I also predict the same possible loss for any future game of USC, Bama, Florida, etc. The question as posed by Eagledom is either retarded or phrased in a manner to suggest I predicted that Northeastern had something like a 50% chance of winning.

Regardless, Northeastern was not the same program we played a few years ago. That much was clear on Staurday. Outside of that, I don't think you can tell much about the team other than Spaz had them ready to play and they performed better than could have been expected. I think we will learn a hell of a lot more when we play Kent State. Unlike others, I think the MAC is a decent conference and KSU is going to be one of the conference's better teams this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:HJS
n00b

* Report this post

Quick Thoughts

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm
1. Awesome new site. Will really have fun checking things out once I get back from vacation.
2. I don't hold any grudge against those who want to post on the other sites. However, I would wish that said postings would be like Talon's and RevMike's have been on EA... i.e. making the occasional snide remarks. Original thoughts, flames and board wars would ideally be kept here.
3. I predict that we will struggle mightily today. We are eleventy billion times better than Northeastern, but I think Spaz has done a crap job getting these kids mentally ready to start the season. Wouldn't even be THAT surprised by a loss... thought it would be the worst loss in BC history.
4. I predicted the TOB game right on down to the drop pass in the endzone... I predicted that he would've caught it and TOB would have won his usually boring game that made all his fans feel about as horrible as you can feel about a team after a win. But... they lost and Toby is realizing that NCS doesn't have the same magic that BC had.
5. With a good coach, this team is 7-5. With an average coach, this team is 6-6. Let's see where Spaz falls on the scale.

Wouldn't even be THAT surprised by a loss... thought it would be the worst loss in BC history

Research indicates a big gut or a lot of fat around the waistline impacts one's memory. HJS must have a snow tube filled with lard around his waist because it seems he can never remember anything he posts.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm

As an aside- love the OJ macro. If OJ actually registers with his EI handle, will he be posting as King of Dicks1969?

EDIT: Looks like it's not working.

OJ1969
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:As an aside- love the King of Dicks macro. If King of Dicks actually registers with his EI handle, will he be posting as OJ1969?

That name is already taken, as Manny tried to fake us all out zander-style last night
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:00 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:And you don't know Rettig is better because he's still in highschool. Chris Crane had more stars than Rettig when he signed up here, so no - you don't know.

What is the deal with Rettig???? WTF is a stress fracture of the back??? Can you even do that?
http://www.sanclementetimes.com/index.p ... eturnid=99

In other news, Kiffin finally landed a QB... but had to steal him from another program.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/sep/08/bray-says-hes-coming-to-tennessee/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Just busting your balls, HJS. I have no problem with your constant negativism. This one was just too easy to pass up.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium