BC football pictures- 60s & 70s

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC football pictures- 60s & 70s

Postby xu9697 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 am

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/sea ... e+football

Found this today.

Very fortunate to find it as I found many pictures of my Father as a player.

Enjoy!

NOTED: Edited the title- got a little giddy at first- maybe not thousands of pictures, but still some cool old pics if your into that kind of thing.
Last edited by xu9697 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Re: BC football pictures- 19,000+!

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:41 am

Really awesome old school pics.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am

No stripe on the helmets.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:No stripe on the helmets.

The stripe on the helmet was a Coughlin era invention. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Los on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm an absolute mark for this type of stuff. Thanks for sharing, xu!
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

This guy?

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Actually, I believe Coughlin resurrected them from an earlier era but I may be misremembering.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Re: BC football pictures- 60s & 70s

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:01 pm

Remember campion? He was a great one for this stuff. He told me that he's been researching BC's uniform history in his spare time, and that he's come to the conclusion that the maroon shirt, gold pants, and shiny gold helmet were put together as BC's uniform by Frank Leahy in 1939 in imitation of Notre Dame's uniform. BC's colors were maroon and gold back through the 30s into the 20s, but what we think of as BC's 'traditional' uniform is a set inspired by Notre Dame, Leahy's alma mater.

He also told me that the stripe appeared around 1958 and went away in 1960 or 61, and that there were numbers on the side of the helmets in the late 50s as well. BC wore the "UCLA" style jerseys in the 60s, but when Joe Yukica was hired he stripped it all down to plain jerseys and pants. Like Leahy, this was inspired by Yukica's favorite school, Penn State. Yukica also made the jerseys a brighter red, something from which BC has never recovered.

Campion knows a shitload about this stuff, but I still can't stand him. I for one am glad he doesn't stink this place up anymore.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby xu9697 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:56 pm

lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:Remember campion? He was a great one for this stuff. He told me that he's been researching BC's uniform history in his spare time, and that he's come to the conclusion that the maroon shirt, gold pants, and shiny gold helmet were put together as BC's uniform by Frank Leahy in 1939 in imitation of Notre Dame's uniform. BC's colors were maroon and gold back through the 30s into the 20s, but what we think of as BC's 'traditional' uniform is a set inspired by Notre Dame, Leahy's alma mater.

He also told me that the stripe appeared around 1958 and went away in 1960 or 61, and that there were numbers on the side of the helmets in the late 50s as well. BC wore the "UCLA" style jerseys in the 60s, but when Joe Yukica was hired he stripped it all down to plain jerseys and pants. Like Leahy, this was inspired by Yukica's favorite school, Penn State. Yukica also made the jerseys a brighter red, something from which BC has never recovered.

Campion knows a shitload about this stuff, but I still can't stand him. I for one am glad he doesn't stink this place up anymore.

I do remember him. He was actually kind enough to PM me some stuff and find some really cool pictures of my Dad from his playing days. I've been a LONG TIME member on this site, but don't post or read as much as many of you do. So, I never built up enough hate for anyone here. :-)
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:08 pm

xu9697 {l Wrote}:
lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:Remember campion? He was a great one for this stuff. He told me that he's been researching BC's uniform history in his spare time, and that he's come to the conclusion that the maroon shirt, gold pants, and shiny gold helmet were put together as BC's uniform by Frank Leahy in 1939 in imitation of Notre Dame's uniform. BC's colors were maroon and gold back through the 30s into the 20s, but what we think of as BC's 'traditional' uniform is a set inspired by Notre Dame, Leahy's alma mater.

I do remember him. He was actually kind enough to PM me some stuff and find some really cool pictures of my Dad from his playing days. I've been a LONG TIME member on this site, but don't post or read as much as many of you do. So, I never built up enough hate for anyone here. :-)

In addition to remembering him, you might also be responding to him.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
xu9697 {l Wrote}:

In addition to remembering him, you might also be responding to him.

Yup, 2020 continues to deliver new surprises by the day.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 am

xu9697 {l Wrote}:

Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium