Official Gameday Thread - BC at Duke - 9/19/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Duke - 9/19/2020

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Jurk is outplaying Ian Book against a common opponent. Has a big arm and is displaying nice touch on long throws. Has not run as well as he did at ND yet, but you’d have to be a joyless dick not to enjoy what he has done the last two drives.

so, just hjs.

Second half play calling and jurkovec both kicking hjs in the dick made this awesome win doubly good. I was enjoying the playcalling in the second half so much I didnt need to post. Heaven.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 pm

That was satisfying.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Thought Garwo looked good closing it out.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Beat non football moment of the day, BC football ending with a big win led by Jurkovec and NESN cutting away after Hafleys interview to join the Brian Kelly show.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Remember when we were like oh shit Kobay White is out, this sucks.

Long and Flowers having monster games.

Is Kobay injured?

Yes, battled knee issue for a couple of weeks now

I thought he was practicing and was back for the game. I didn’t realize he was out. Just thought he wasn’t getting looks (which has largely been exclusive to Zay, TEs and RBs).

He was out for much of camp but came back at some point because he was on the depth chart and he was dressed in the WR photo that was posted Thursday.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Postgame Interviews

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Based on what hafley said kobay might be out for a while
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Remember when we were like oh shit Kobay White is out, this sucks.

Long and Flowers having monster games.

Is Kobay injured?

Yes, battled knee issue for a couple of weeks now

I thought he was practicing and was back for the game. I didn’t realize he was out. Just thought he wasn’t getting looks (which has largely been exclusive to Zay, TEs and RBs).

He was out for much of camp but came back at some point because he was on the depth chart and he was dressed in the WR photo that was posted Thursday.

Sounds like he was back and then something happened earlier in the week. They are getting a “second opinion” and will let everyone know at practice. But... it certainly didn’t sound good.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Based on what hafley said kobay might be out for a while

I think Ethon Williams is gonna be a baller but the lack of depth at WR is not great.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Zays quote on how he’s no longer being used just to run jet sweeps is awesome
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:34 pm

I love football. I missed sports. That was fun. First half was frustrating but this team came together for an amazing second half effort. Yes, definitely reason for optimism.

Go Eagles!
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm

Even with White out, Gill, Flowers, Lewis and Williams is fine.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm

So I watched the game. I am very happy (and very surprised) with the results. Either BC is much better than I thought they were (possible) or Duke is just flat out awful (that is also possible.) Either way, here is my report card. Start with the worst, go to the best.

Offensive line: 0. You don't get an F. You get worse than F. You get a zero. Jurkovec got killed today (what was it 6 sacks??????) and there is no one who is going to convince me that the Duke defensive line is simply awesome and unstoppable. Anyone who says that, I call horseshit. And I could partially forgive a horribly shitty performance protecting Jurk if the team could at least run the ball on Duke but that really only happened at the end of the game. There was no consistency or control of the line of scrummage in the running game today until the very end. 84 yards rushing on 42 attempts is unacceptable. I think Lindstom had a personal foul which should never happen. More to the point, BC's offensive line I supposed to be their great strength this year and it most certainly wasn't today (so I will not be grading the running backs.)

Kicking game: D-minus. You can't miss extra points. You just can't. Miss XPs, and the team winds up losing very close games to teams that they should beat.

Defensive line: C. You gave up almost 140 yards rushing and 19 first downs. That whole first half, Duke was moving that ball well. And you never really did a bang-up-job getting to Bryce. Anyone who was watching that game would note the score should have been 21-7 Duke at the half were it not for the BEST score on this report card.

Jurkovec: B-Plus (and its a big plus.) You don't get an A because there were quite a few overthrown passes in the first half and you had the pick. So you lose a letter grade there.

Time of possession: A-minus. It was looking bad at the beginning of the game with Duke controlling the tempo and both the offense and the defense not even knowing what the fuck they were doing. But by the midway point of the 3rd quarter, BC just held on to the ball. Outstanding! Perfect. That is exactly the way I want to see BC dominate a team at the end which brings me to the highest grade (and the MVP of the game)

Defensive playmakers for turnovers: A-(fucking)-PLUS! 100. You get a perfect score. 5 turnovers. Do that every game, BC wins all 11. Its that simple. The team really doesn't even need to do anything else if you get 5 turnovers (as BC scored only a few points on those turnovers.) What it does is demoralize your opponent. You turn the ball over and there is such a huge adrenaline depletion, everything seems to collectively fall apart. And that was clearly what plagued Duke today. But BC needs to have playmakers on defense who are opportunistic in order to get them. You don't need to be athletic, you just need to be aware. And BC was today (and more.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:28 pm

If they can somehow find another safety on the roster and fix the OL, then 10-2 season will last a bit longer this year.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm

I liked Muse playing that hybrid LB Chung role, but that means more Palmer. Jones was very good and I thought the corners were fantastic other than the one drop when Maitre got burned
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:If they can somehow find another safety on the roster and fix the OL, then 10-2 season will last a bit longer this year.

If the defense continues to get 5 turnovers a game, no matter how shitty the O-line plays, they will win 10.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I liked Muse playing that hybrid LB Chung role, but that means more Palmer. Jones was very good and I thought the corners were fantastic other than the one drop when Maitre got burned

Agreed. The corners, specifically DeBerry and E. Jones, were a huge positive and have eased my concerns on that front. Granted it's Duke and they didn't impress, but a good start.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:13 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I liked Muse playing that hybrid LB Chung role, but that means more Palmer. Jones was very good and I thought the corners were fantastic other than the one drop when Maitre got burned

Agreed. The corners, specifically DeBerry and E. Jones, were a huge positive and have eased my concerns on that front. Granted it's Duke and they didn't impress, but a good start.

They did let BC be physical all day on deep balls. Wasn't as bad as the announcers led us to believe, but they could have made some calls.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

They did let BC be physical all day on deep balls. Wasn't as bad as the announcers led us to believe, but they could have made some calls.

True. But ACC officials let Clemson's DBs get very physical with Wake last week. I think you keep playing that way unless/until the refs start calling it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Even with White out, Gill, Flowers, Lewis and Williams is fine.

WR is our deepest position. Hansen is a stupid person
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm just happy to get to be happy about football Saturday's again.

Even if we end up sucking the rest of the year. It's such a relief to be gone from Addazio.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I'm just happy to get to be happy about football Saturday's again.

Even if we end up sucking the rest of the year. It's such a relief to be gone from Addazio.

Texas State is the most important game of the season as it is the next game.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:34 am

That was a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of big penalties by Duke in that second half to keep things flowing for BC, but you could see and feel that offense get better as the game went on. What a great way to start the season.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:42 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:The issues with the offense in the first half were 100% play calling induced. It was obvious to anyone watching.

They wanted to "establish the run" but it wasn't working. So being the fact that we don't have an awful coach anymore they changed it up.

I applaud that.

Credit the playcalling in the second half as they started using misdirection and playaction to slow Duke down. The OL probably didn't account for themselves great, but Duke does have some defensive athletes, and they were very agressive throughout the game. Its something that they will learn from on film and improve with game experience.

Now, our defense, especially in the secondary looks real shaky. At times reminded me of the Spaziani cushion coverages where they just were trying to keep the play in front of them. The slants were wide open all day. But, this should be Hafleys stock in trade, and maybe that was the strategy given he doesn't have the horses he needs back there and he knows it.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:How many years does Jurk have?

eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:The issues with the offense in the first half were 100% play calling induced. It was obvious to anyone watching.

They wanted to "establish the run" but it wasn't working. So being the fact that we don't have an awful coach anymore they changed it up.

I applaud that.

Credit the playcalling in the second half as they started using misdirection and playaction to slow Duke down. The OL probably didn't account for themselves great, but Duke does have some defensive athletes, and they were very agressive throughout the game. Its something that they will learn from on film and improve with game experience.

Now, our defense, especially in the secondary looks real shaky. At times reminded me of the Spaziani cushion coverages where they just were trying to keep the play in front of them. The slants were wide open all day. But, this should be Hafleys stock in trade, and maybe that was the strategy given he doesn't have the horses he needs back there and he knows it.

5 turnovers said hello.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:20 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Even with White out, Gill, Flowers, Lewis and Williams is fine.

WR is our deepest position. Hansen is a stupid person

How many of those guys are proven/reliable? For running 3 WR sets and throwing the ball a lot downfield? Assuming Kobay is out for awhile, we are an injury to Zay from being in a bad situation.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:27 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:How many years does Jurk have?

Is that true? I thought Hafley made some comment like: “this year doesn’t count, right... so, he’s really like a freshman.”
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I'm just happy to get to be happy about football Saturday's again.

Texas State is the most important game of the season as it is the next game.

This was so stupid I had to check to make sure I hadn't written it in a blackout.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby Skidmark on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:09 am

Did either TJ Rayam or Brandon Barlow see the field yesterday?
Skidmark
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium