2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:12 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:16 pm

MattTheEagle wrote:
BC923 wrote:Pete is reporting that it’s Pat Kraft. Great news!

Very happy with this hire. I was expecting a lot worse. I would have liked someone with more Power 5 experience, but this is about as good as it gets with a hire from a mid-major conference. Young and highly successful. Welcome :angrychicken


thamel spoke to rhule about kraft:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1270036976377516034
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -67

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18466
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3123

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:13 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:26 pm

HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -204

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:28 pm

any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -215

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Leahy's alive!
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 318

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock


this is really dumb.

go back to the basketball board you hoops weirdo
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 318

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm

claver2010 wrote:


Buckley asked a couple of tough, pointed questions (paraphrasing): 1) interest in BC is at an all-time low, what can you do besides winning to engage Boston fans? 2) Buckley sees comments on his articles saying BC should get out of the ACC - what can you do to make BC belong?

Kraft talked about engaging young people and alumni, building relationships, but there is no magic switch. And winning does matter.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 163

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:25 pm

MF73-Eleazar wrote:any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.


I heard north of $50 million which seemed/seems crazy to me.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm

hansen wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock


this is really dumb.

go back to the basketball board you hoops weirdo


It's a conversation about basketball. Go back to trying to get Dee to pay attention to you on twitter.
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -204

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:54 pm

MilitantEagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:


Buckley asked a couple of tough, pointed questions (paraphrasing): 1) interest in BC is at an all-time low, what can you do besides winning to engage Boston fans? 2) Buckley sees comments on his articles saying BC should get out of the ACC - what can you do to make BC belong?

Kraft talked about engaging young people and alumni, building relationships, but there is no magic switch. And winning does matter.


thought he handled that well and was surprised such pointed question was brought up in what is usually constant softballs

he can speak to it from his experience at temple

not 1 mention of jimmy mac but raved about hafley, talked about york and the women's bball coach
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18466
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3123

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
hansen wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock


this is really dumb.

go back to the basketball board you hoops weirdo


It's a conversation about basketball. Go back to trying to get Dee to pay attention to you on twitter.


your response was even dumber than I could have ever imagined.

Kraft said he is committed to not just the revenue sports but non-revenues sports as well ... all 31 BC sports. so, it sounds like your idea might not get traction with him. what you hoops weirdos forget is that although you don't give a fuck about skiing (or whatever nag sports you are thinking of) that doesn't mean we should overlook the 1k or so students that do. that's like 1/8 of the student population. as these student-athletes realize none of them will have a career in these olympic sports after BC, they are most likely the top students we need to attract to better the value of our degree. that's what I care about not some stupid basketball facility that will benefit 20 people for a program that is a fucking joke.

for a program with more conte forum ghosts then fans (mbb), y'all want a lot (50 million for a practice facility). if enough people actually cared, this money would have been raised already and it would have been on the schedule by now. Kraft would be best served to focus on giving Hafley whatever he needs and go from there. football runs the show nationally and here at BC.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 318

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:44 pm

hansen wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
hansen wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock


this is really dumb.

go back to the basketball board you hoops weirdo


It's a conversation about basketball. Go back to trying to get Dee to pay attention to you on twitter.


your response was even dumber than I could have ever imagined.

Kraft said he is committed to not just the revenue sports but non-revenues sports as well ... all 31 BC sports. so, it sounds like your idea might not get traction with him. what you hoops weirdos forget is that although you don't give a fuck about skiing (or whatever nag sports you are thinking of) that doesn't mean we should overlook the 1k or so students that do. that's like 1/8 of the student population. as these student-athletes realize none of them will have a career in these olympic sports after BC, they are most likely the top students we need to attract to better the value of our degree. that's what I care about not some stupid basketball facility that will benefit 20 people for a program that is a fucking joke.

for a program with more conte forum ghosts then fans (mbb), y'all want a lot (50 million for a practice facility). if enough people actually cared, this money would have been raised already and it would have been on the schedule by now. Kraft would be best served to focus on giving Hafley whatever he needs and go from there. football runs the show nationally and here at BC.


The problem with the non revenue sports is: (1) BC isn’t a land grant university so space is a problem and (2) BC isn’t even trying to be competitive in most of them. With that said, this is a pointless debate because you’re never getting rid of them.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Land grant universities are the first to piss on non revenue sports.

That said, no one gives a fuck about BC hoop. It might as well be fencing at this point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31545
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2480

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports


We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.



Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.


Title IX makes ^ irrelevant.

Facilities do not come out of the operations budget. At BC, facilities are all built off of donor dollars. Unless you think the main thing holding BC facilities back is the electricity and custodial crews to maintain said facility, the above is ridiculous.


An AD with some imagination could pitch a cut of some number of million dollars a year to the operating budget in exchange for a debt-funded infusion of cash for a new facility in such a manner that the school comes out ahead in the long run. This would require prioritizing facility-building over having teams no one cares about, and also having the stomach to kill a bunch of said teams, neither of which conditions I suspect are met, which is the real reason I'm not holding my breath. They tell you facilities have to be donor-funded in the fundraising emails because they want you to donate. Shocker. :shock

It has nothing to do with imagination. BC is not going to issue debt for a building that 10 kids use. If alums care about building something, they will donate to get it built. That is the way it works at BC... doesn't matter if it is athletics, academics or student life. It is not dissimilar to the way most well-heeled private institutions operate. The institutions that develop on the back of debt issuance tend to be public, and often done in a manner that ultimately burdens both institution and the taxpayer.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:51 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
MF73-Eleazar wrote:any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.


I heard north of $50 million which seemed/seems crazy to me.


jfc. doubt that they can find 100 alums/donors who'd hand over 500k+ each. i can see why it's a dead issue. fuuuuuck.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -215

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:27 am

MF73-Eleazar wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
MF73-Eleazar wrote:any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.


I heard north of $50 million which seemed/seems crazy to me.


jfc. doubt that they can find 100 alums/donors who'd hand over 500k+ each. i can see why it's a dead issue. fuuuuuck.

This is why I suggest the arena idea. You get something for your money other than a practice facility (why should the practice court be superior to that which the game is played?).

Something like that will take time, thoughtful design and years of fundraising. They talked about the football Indoor Practice Facility forever and Bates was fundraising for it his entire time on campus. That didn’t fit Marty’s timeline. The result was some weird half-assed dream chasing where he went from (a) hockey arena on Brighton and a Conte remodel to (b) a new BB arena and practice facility (in between Alumni and the New Plex) to (c) a BB practice facility between Conte and Higgins (all in the course of a few months).

My point here is that just because Marty failed to raise $50mm+ immediately for a building slush fund with no concrete plans, doesn’t mean that any doors have been closed. Let Kraft settle in. If he thinks there is value in a new arena/BB facility, I have confidence that he’ll be able to raise the funds if done thoughtful and deliberately.

One final note... the lack of a facility was never the focus until after Jimmy Mac got his mistaken extension and immediately failed (and Marty realized he couldn’t fire him). Up until that point Jarmond talked about other priorities and mentioned more BB training space as an aside. I always viewed the BB facility to be a BS excuse peddled as to why JC sucks and why he’s the best we can do right now.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 am

HJS wrote:
MF73-Eleazar wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
MF73-Eleazar wrote:any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.


I heard north of $50 million which seemed/seems crazy to me.


jfc. doubt that they can find 100 alums/donors who'd hand over 500k+ each. i can see why it's a dead issue. fuuuuuck.

This is why I suggest the arena idea. You get something for your money other than a practice facility (why should the practice court be superior to that which the game is played?).

Something like that will take time, thoughtful design and years of fundraising. They talked about the football Indoor Practice Facility forever and Bates was fundraising for it his entire time on campus. That didn’t fit Marty’s timeline. The result was some weird half-assed dream chasing where he went from (a) hockey arena on Brighton and a Conte remodel to (b) a new BB arena and practice facility (in between Alumni and the New Plex) to (c) a BB practice facility between Conte and Higgins (all in the course of a few months).

My point here is that just because Marty failed to raise $50mm+ immediately for a building slush fund with no concrete plans, doesn’t mean that any doors have been closed. Let Kraft settle in. If he thinks there is value in a new arena/BB facility, I have confidence that he’ll be able to raise the funds if done thoughtful and deliberately.

One final note... the lack of a facility was never the focus until after Jimmy Mac got his mistaken extension and immediately failed (and Marty realized he couldn’t fire him). Up until that point Jarmond talked about other priorities and mentioned more BB training space as an aside. I always viewed the BB facility to be a BS excuse peddled as to why JC sucks and why he’s the best we can do right now.


When you're the only P5 team in America without a basketball practice facility it's not an excuse. It's closer to a failing on the institution.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby BC923 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am

Listening to the press conference now, Buckley is dumber than I remember
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 430

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:02 am

buckley wrote the article before the presser yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/1861478/2020/06 ... n-college/

Buckley: Here’s some advice for the new AD at Boston College. He’ll need it



By Steve Buckley 3h ago 7
Boston College held a video press conference Monday to introduce Patrick Kraft as its new director of athletics. My three takeaways are as follows:

1. Nobody cares about Boston College athletics.
2. Nobody cares that Kraft, formerly the AD at Temple, has landed his “dream” job.
3. Nobody cares about Boston College athletics.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s extend a great, big Boston welcome to Pat Kraft! Here’s hoping your transition from Philly to Boston is smooth and problem-free — no easy task during these troubled times. You’ll find Boston to be a friendly, exciting, vibrant city, and in that spirit please know that we are all at your service.

The man certainly brings some stellar credentials to his new job. BC’s president, the Rev. William Leahy, spoke of Kraft’s “personal integrity,” praising his new AD for his focus on academic excellence. Kraft, 43, is a Chicago native who played football at Indiana, where he later earned a doctorate in sports management. He was associate AD at Loyola University in Chicago, and he took over the Temple athletic program in 2015.

He comes across as a sturdy, blue-collar guy, such as when he said, “For those of you don’t know me I’ll give you the CliffsNotes version. I’m a Chicago kid who grew up in a Catholic family. I’m full of passion and enthusiasm for school and sports.”

And he can be believed when he says, and he said it several times Monday, that the welfare of his student-athletes trumps all.

“I never forget — never — why I do what I do,” he said. “Simply put, the student-athletes. Period. They’re at the center of every single decision I make. I always will ask, ‘Will this benefit the student-athlete? Will this give them a better experience? Will this help them in life, and everything that comes their way?’”

What’s not to like about this guy?

Nothing … as long as he remembers the following:

1. Nobody cares about Boston College athletics.
2. Nobody cares that Kraft, formerly the AD at Temple, has landed his “dream” job.
3. Nobody cares about Boston College athletics.

(And we’ll pause here for a moment while diehard Boston College fans collect themselves.)

Pause.

Everybody OK? Good. Let’s get to work. We’ll begin here: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, there are plenty of people who have tremendous respect and admiration for the BC athletic program. And guess what: I’m one of them. I speak as a 1978 UMass grad who in late December 1984 flew to Dallas and on Jan. 1, 1985, paid my way into the Cotton Bowl and then froze my nose off while watching Doug Flutie and his Eagles teammates emerge with a 45-28 victory over Houston. No way did I want to go through life never having seen Flutie play a college football game.

So when I say “nobody cares about Boston College athletics,” please consider it a vitally necessary tough-love stance. Let’s be honest: BC athletics isn’t much of a talker these days, and it hasn’t been for a while. We get spurts here and there, such as Matt Ryan emerging as a top college quarterback during the first decade of this century, followed by several stellar seasons from future seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Luke Kuechly. The men’s hockey team has produced a busload of NHL players, which reminds me of the time I interviewed a skinny kid named Johnny Gaudreau and then asked Eagles coach Jerry York, “Aren’t you worried he’ll get pushed around in the NHL?” To which York replied, “They’ll have to catch him first.” For the most part, they haven’t.

Kraft spoke enthusiastically about Boston College, but he didn’t acknowledge the obvious, which is that interest in the school’s athletic program is pretty much limited to parents and alums once you get a quarter-mile off campus. And judging from the snarky comments I get from my own friends who are BC graduates, even the alumni support is suspect.

Most of what Kraft said Monday was boilerplate, and one could practically hear “For Boston” humming in the background as he spoke: “We will outwork every program in the country and it will start with me, and it will go all there way down to the interns and student-athletes and the (graduate assistants) and everybody in this department. We will be champions, and we will not allow excuses to get in our way. We will represent BC with pride. We will compete in everything we do. We will strive for excellence at all times. It is our time, Boston College.”

And, yes, inevitably, Kraft said something that practically every new BC athletics hire says.

“This was really a dream job for me,” he said.

Or, as I like to put it, he Addazio’d.

Emma Healy, the sports editor of BC’s student newspaper, The Heights, posed one of the most important questions of the day. After Kraft spoke of “the Boston College family,” Healy wanted to know what he planned to do about “building on and expanding” that family.

“I think it’s constant engagement,” Kraft said. “We have to communicate … it comes from coaches to all staff members. We have to engage. This is a very passionate alumni base. The students are very passionate … and I will tell you this, the students are going to drive the energy and the excitement. Students are so critical to that. There’s such a critical piece of the, of the whole operation.”

But the students can’t lure thousands of sports fans from around New England to attend BC sporting events, as once was the norm. And it won’t change the fact that Boston is … wait for it, wait for it … a pro sports town.

To his credit, Kraft channeled his time working in Philly in responding to that question.

“Look, I’m in Philadelphia and it’s very similar,” he said. “It’s Eagles all the time.”

(He was referring to the Eagles who beat the Malcolm Butler-less Patriots in Super Bowl LII, of course, not the Boston College Eagles.)

Kraft sees Boston’s pro sports dominance this century — six championships by the Patriots, four by the Red Sox, one each by the Celtics and Bruins — as “a real positive. You all know sports, you appreciate sports. And so winning doesn’t cure all, but winning does help.”

Kraft’s rising-tides-lift-all-boats outlook seems fine, except for the fact that a lot of people, alums included, do not believe BC can win in the ACC.

Kraft doesn’t see it that way.

“Do I think we can compete in the ACC? There’s no doubt,” he said. “We’ve got to roll our sleeves up, we’ve got to grind. We gotta go compete. So I look at this, I mean I wouldn’t be here with you if I didn’t think there was an incredible opportunity and incredible chance to go win championships and compete at the highest level.”

But, Kraft conceded, “There is no magic bullet. It’s not just like we’re all of a sudden going to flip the switch.”

Rather than just saying it, here’s hoping he also believes it.

Even more importantly, he needs to know this: Nobody cares about Boston College athletics. He needs to write it in his day planner. He needs to sing it in the shower. I’ll stop short of saying he needs to tattoo it on his forearm, but maybe he could make a little sign and put it on his desk, which is where President Truman famously kept his “The Buck Stops Here” sign.

It’s good that Pat Kraft knows where he wants to take Boston College athletics. But he also needs to know where the departure gate is.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18466
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3123

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 am

MilitantEagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:


Buckley asked a couple of tough, pointed questions (paraphrasing): 1) interest in BC is at an all-time low, what can you do besides winning to engage Boston fans? 2) Buckley sees comments on his articles saying BC should get out of the ACC - what can you do to make BC belong?


No BC fan thinks BC should leave the ACC. This is dumb.
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8346
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 116

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am

Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:50 am

HJS wrote:Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).


Aside from the top (Clemson in football and Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball), the rest of the conference is a mediocre mess most years. It's not a real high bar to climb to the top of the mediocrity.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:14 am

eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).


Aside from the top (Clemson in football and Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball), the rest of the conference is a mediocre mess most years. It's not a real high bar to climb to the top of the mediocrity.

"Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball"... UVA wasn't part of that group until very recently. It shows what one hire can do.

BTW... I guess we should all take this moment to thank ATL for shutting down his comments section. "Hey Pat... Steve Buckley...welcome to Boston... I've been reading comments posted on ATLeagle's blogspot and I was wondering if you could, through me, address some their observations."
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 pm

HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).


Aside from the top (Clemson in football and Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball), the rest of the conference is a mediocre mess most years. It's not a real high bar to climb to the top of the mediocrity.

"Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball"... UVA wasn't part of that group until very recently. It shows what one hire can do.

BTW... I guess we should all take this moment to thank ATL for shutting down his comments section. "Hey Pat... Steve Buckley...welcome to Boston... I've been reading comments posted on ATLeagle's blogspot and I was wondering if you could, through me, address some their observations."


Part Tony Bennett, part the insane new facilities they built (JPJ Arena and their practice facility are the nicest I've seen in person in the ACC).
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -254

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:18 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).


Aside from the top (Clemson in football and Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball), the rest of the conference is a mediocre mess most years. It's not a real high bar to climb to the top of the mediocrity.


Clemson is only one bad football coach from falling back by the wayside. Beyond them, no other team is really that far above BC right now in football. A better coach and a lot of these recent 7 win seasons would have been 8,9,10 win seasons. I think Hafley would have really shocked some people with results this year had covid-19 not set him back. But with only 5 very light spring practices, I think this year will be a struggle. I'm still going to hope for 8 wins but Hafley has a lot of things going against him this year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 318

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:11 pm

was on packer and durham

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18466
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3123

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby StratEagle on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm generally happy with the Kraft pick, but his manner reminds me a little of Matt Foley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:04 pm
Karma: 188

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:06 pm

He looks like GDF and has the mannerisms of Daz. That said, he’s engaging and comes off as a self-deprecating listener. He talks about the big picture and long term. He says all the right things about student athletes and alums. At the end of the day, all we’ll really care about is who he hires and what he builds. Good luck to him. He so far has reinforced my own continued surprise over a quality hire.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14757
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 322

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Untitled document
cron