2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:bill romanowski

gene defilippo

margie from lower

paul grant

rick kuhn

bill leahy

seymore skinner (nee armin tamzatian)

Since Margie is the only female from your list, my money is on her. On an aside, I would welcome her. She was always a big fan of BC athletics (taking a special interest in the football team). That immediately puts her ahead of two out of our last three ADs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 am

One thing that has been mentioned over the years is about how little Leahy actually cares about athletics. And, how he views it mostly from an economic view (one in which is generally a drain on finances). This was discussed ad nauseam during the whole move to the ACC and why he took such an active role. It has been discussed of late as it relates to coaching moves (particularly regarding his disdain for paying coaches not to be here). To that end, coronavirus is creating very real financial challenges within the world of athletics (see article below). While I have repeatedly heard about Fr. Bill's desire to hire BC's first female AD, it is possible that the unprecedented issues of today may force him to look less towards social progress and more towards competency.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-pandemic
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:One thing that has been mentioned over the years is about how little Leahy actually cares about athletics. And, how he views it mostly from an economic view (one in which is generally a drain on finances). This was discussed ad nauseam during the whole move to the ACC and why he took such an active role. It has been discussed of late as it relates to coaching moves (particularly regarding his disdain for paying coaches not to be here). To that end, coronavirus is creating very real financial challenges within the world of athletics (see article below). While I have repeatedly heard about Fr. Bill's desire to hire BC's first female AD, it is possible that the unprecedented issues of today may force him to look less towards social progress and more towards competency.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-pandemic

1. LNH looks really old.

2. Rutgers is in deeper shit than I thought.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 am

Pete is reporting that it’s Pat Kraft. Great news!
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Pete is reporting that it’s Pat Kraft. Great news!

Truth
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 am

can someone who followed the search process explain why it is great news?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 am

works for me

been able to navigate temple being a stepping stone program on football field and has consistently hired good coaches.

temple went to ncaa tournament 2 of his 5 years there. don't know about fran dunphy to aaron mckie transition speak enough about it

40 under 40, set record for athletic donations every year.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am

The Aaron McKie transition was really popular with basketball alumni, donors, etc, as well as appearing to be pretty successful on the court. Speaks more to the eventual Jerry transition than basketball. But it’s clear he knows hiring and fundraising so I would hope he can do a good job with basketball too.

Also worked really closely with Rhule to build up Temple football after Addazio left, so Hafley should be excited.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:set record for athletic donations every year.

If this is true then I'm happy. Can't build facilities or hire good coaches without money.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:55 am

Los {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:set record for athletic donations every year.

If this is true then I'm happy. Can't build facilities or hire good coaches without money.

Temple doesn’t seem like the easiest place to raise money at either
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:11 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:can someone who followed the search process explain why it is great news?

Yeah, I would have preferred someone with experience at an elite athletics program..
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 am

This is an excellent hire on paper. Kraft has been up for other major jobs (like Jarmond was before we hired him). I heard early on that he was even recommended to Leahy from Marty. He has navigated coaching hires, been in the Northeast, worked at private and Jesuit universities. He has even handled situations where he inherited a up-and-coming football coach. How he actually does here is anyone's guess... but, like the Hafley hire, this hire makes sense. It seems to be an immediate fit and logical choice. For a school that has done a lot of stupid in the past, I am happy with boring competency. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Kraft find his way to the Big Ten in somewhat short order (with us collecting another buyout check). I would have no problem with BC running through series of successful coaches and administrators. That's a very good position for the school to be in (and sure as hell beats the alternative).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:This is an excellent hire on paper. Kraft has been up for other major jobs (like Jarmond was before we hired him). I heard early on that he was even recommended to Leahy from Marty. He has navigated coaching hires, been in the Northeast, worked at private and Jesuit universities. He has even handled situations where he inherited a up-and-coming football coach. How he actually does here is anyone's guess... but, like the Hafley hire, this hire makes sense. It seems to be an immediate fit and logical choice. For a school that has done a lot of stupid in the past, I am happy with boring competency. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Kraft find his way to the Big Ten in somewhat short order (with us collecting another buyout check). I would have no problem with BC running through series of successful coaches and administrators. That's a very good position for the school to be in (and sure as hell beats the alternative).

This was my reaction. I was pleasantly surprised, but my expectations were low once HJS started mentioning people like the Yale AD. And he does have experience at a P5 school with an elite basketball tradition. He was an assistant AD for marketing at Indiana in addition to getting three degrees from Indiana. And one of his top priorities will be fixing the BC basketball program so hopefully he learned something during his time at the school.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:30 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This is an excellent hire on paper. Kraft has been up for other major jobs (like Jarmond was before we hired him). I heard early on that he was even recommended to Leahy from Marty. He has navigated coaching hires, been in the Northeast, worked at private and Jesuit universities. He has even handled situations where he inherited a up-and-coming football coach. How he actually does here is anyone's guess... but, like the Hafley hire, this hire makes sense. It seems to be an immediate fit and logical choice. For a school that has done a lot of stupid in the past, I am happy with boring competency. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Kraft find his way to the Big Ten in somewhat short order (with us collecting another buyout check). I would have no problem with BC running through series of successful coaches and administrators. That's a very good position for the school to be in (and sure as hell beats the alternative).

This was my reaction. I was pleasantly surprised, but my expectations were low once HJS started mentioning people like the Yale AD. And he does have experience at a P5 school with an elite basketball tradition. He was an assistant AD for marketing at Indiana in addition to getting three degrees from Indiana. And one of his top priorities will be fixing the BC basketball program so hopefully he learned something during his time at the school.

He played football at IU so I expect he will value its importance here especially in the current NCAA landscape.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:36 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
...He played football at IU so I expect he will value the importance of the elephant walk

still e.s.t. with you, eh hansen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
...He played football at IU so I expect he will value the importance of the elephant walk

still e.s.t. with you, eh hansen

whatever, go climb a glacier, TRE (rhymes with the fedex package was never delivered)

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Quick reminder that HJS was told by his internal source that we were definitely hiring a female candidate.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Over/under for when he will first be referred to on this board as "Krafty Pat"?
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Quick reminder that HJS was told by his internal source that we were definitely hiring a female candidate.

Which is (in part) why I am over-the-moon at the choice. I had very little hope of a decent hire.

I heard Chun (Yale) and Goetz (Ball St) were Leahy's early focus. I completely gave up (even when I heard of a couple of successful BC alums wanting the gig, even though they had no AD experience). You will also note that this thread died 2 weeks ago.... which speaks to the lack of interest and hope of all posters.

All that said, I don't necessarily know that being told Leahy was hiring a chick has anything to do with the quality of the person ultimately hired.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:20 pm

Good to hear he can raise money at Temple. Because on the athletics side of the job he looks like a home run. No complaints here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Agreed with both of you.

Though I’m a little leery of any BC hire from Temple.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I completely gave up (even when I heard of a couple of successful BC alums wanting the gig, even though they had no AD experience).

Anything you can share (other than Matt Hass)?
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I completely gave up (even when I heard of a couple of successful BC alums wanting the gig, even though they had no AD experience).

Anything you can share (other than Matt Hass)?

Hass was one. The other was a corporate guy. I didn't understand the interest (as BC AD would've been a step down). It is entirely possible the alleged "interview" was more of a discussion with a successful alum who may have just offered guidance.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:55 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Pete is reporting that it’s Pat Kraft. Great news!

Very happy with this hire. I was expecting a lot worse. I would have liked someone with more Power 5 experience, but this is about as good as it gets with a hire from a mid-major conference. Young and highly successful. Welcome :angrychicken
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 pm

With his track record of fund raising and being at a hoop school, would it increase the chance for BC to build a Hoops training facility? Or is that still dead in the water?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 am

press conf today at 2
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 am

You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:27 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports

School should drop basketball. the program is irrelevant anyway.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:You want better facilities, start pushing for the AD to drop about 8 sports

We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We're not going to build much of a facility with whatever minimal amount of money you save in expenses from that plan.

Do the math on the present value of an annuity that saves you 100 scholarships' worth of money every year in perpetuity, plus whatever you were paying the coaching staffs, plus whatever you were paying in travel for the teams. Not that they'll do it anyway.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium