2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon May 18, 2020 11:55 am

If you get an athletic director who is more deliberate in his thinking, I think the right thing to do is create a new BB facility that serves both as a practice facility and a gameday venue. This will allow Conte be only for hockey. Footprint would not be huge and it could be located in a number of spaces on lower campus (I'm thinking something like Alumni Hall at SJU).

Jarmond initially proposed an arena for hockey on Brighton (which would free up the ability to do a fullscale Conte renovation to make it BB only). Probably because the renovation would be cost-prohibitive, he then pivoted to give hockey Conte and create an arena for BB. When he didn't immediately get the money (with little effort or design schematics), he pivoted again to do a BB practice facility. If I recall correctly, he wanted to weirdly stick it in between Conte and Higgins stairs. In my opinion, building a bandbox like BB arena kills 2 birds: crappy home atmosphere and designated practice facility. You're also going to get more money for a building that will be on TV than one that only 10 students a year will be entering.

The idea that they would bus revenue sport players to an offsite practice facility is idiotic. Will never happen. Stop talking about it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If you get an athletic director who is more deliberate in his thinking, I think the right thing to do is create a new BB facility that serves both as a practice facility and a gameday venue. This will allow Conte be only for hockey. Footprint would not be huge and it could be located in a number of spaces on lower campus (I'm thinking something like Alumni Hall at SJU).

Jarmond initially proposed an arena for hockey on Brighton (which would free up the ability to do a fullscale Conte renovation to make it BB only). Probably because the renovation would be cost-prohibitive, he then pivoted to give hockey Conte and create an arena for BB. When he didn't immediately get the money (with little effort or design schematics), he pivoted again to do a BB practice facility. If I recall correctly, he wanted to weirdly stick it in between Conte and Higgins stairs. In my opinion, building a bandbox like BB arena kills 2 birds: crappy home atmosphere and designated practice facility. You're also going to get more money for a building that will be on TV than one that only 10 students a year will be entering.

The idea that they would bus revenue sport players to an offsite practice facility is idiotic. Will never happen. Stop talking about it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If you get an athletic director who is more deliberate in his thinking, I think the right thing to do is create a new BB facility that serves both as a practice facility and a gameday venue. This will allow Conte be only for hockey. Footprint would not be huge and it could be located in a number of spaces on lower campus (I'm thinking something like Alumni Hall at SJU).

The above is pretty accurate per my understanding.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon May 18, 2020 12:34 pm

Nova's Pavillion is impressive. I'm jealous.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 pm

i don't know what derailed moving hockey down to brighton, the presumption (and it was accurate imo) was it would be a lot easier to raise the money for a hockey facility than a basketball one.

correct on the location for the basketball facility. they did a feasibility study and it would cost more than the fieldhouse. not exactly easy to raise money w jc entering year whatever at the helm
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The idea that they would bus revenue sport players to an offsite practice facility is idiotic. Will never happen. Stop talking about it.

In your mind how do players at other schools get to their practice facilities that are on the other side of campus?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 pm

I like the idea, it would just seem odd for a school the size of BC to have separate bball/hockey arenas when even pro teams share arenas. As for the bandbox, would BC go much lower than 8600? Unless it's the size of a high school gym, there are still going to be plenty of empty seats for those 9pm games on a Tuesday night.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

and in this new BB arena, the primary student section should be near the court. iirc, Michigan's student section is opposite the TV camera/player benches.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 2:02 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Nova's Pavillion is impressive. I'm jealous.

we just need to find a gay wrestling coach to kill some people and then donate money to bc so we can build it.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 2:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

we just need to find a gay wrestling coach to kill some people and then donate money to bc so we can build it.

TRE, just curious, were you the one who removed the EdwardAronson post?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

TRE, just curious, were you the one who removed the EdwardAronson post?

it wasn't me. i did not see a post from edward aronson but i was under the belief that username was banned.

what did the post say?
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon May 18, 2020 9:09 pm

It was cost prohibitive to build either a hockey or b-ball arena. I believe that BC will be moving volleyball to PMI. Power Gym will be for basketball only. It can be expanded and become a first class practice facility in the best location. There is plenty of room on the north side of Conte to expand.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 77543?s=21

Sources: BC is naming senior associate athletic director JM Caparro as the interim AD. School has already begun to engage outside candidates via Todd Turner/Collegiate Sports Associates. Search expected to move quickly.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 am

Putting the ticketing guy in charge does suggest that we will move quickly and have it wrapped up before the AD has to do much else.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1263120038694977543?s=21

Sources: BC is naming senior associate athletic director JM Caparro as the interim AD. School has already begun to engage outside candidates via Todd Turner/Collegiate Sports Associates. Search expected to move quickly.

Help me out here. BC hires a search firm that employees Brad Bates to do a search?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Help me out here. BC hires a search firm that employees Brad Bates to do a search?

Yeah that’s not great. Anyone remember the search firm from the Jarmond search?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 am

Hate the search firm. Putting Caparro as interim means that he isn't in the running. If it was Vaughn, it would signal a long process.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 20, 2020 10:26 am

Caparro will not get the job. Probably a good sign that they didn't go with a more obvious internal candidate.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Parker Executive. Very well known in higher education and has a great reputation.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Gross. Are there any candidates from the MAC we should be aware of?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Parker Executive. Very well known in higher education and has a great reputation.

why not hire the same search firm this time?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Isn't Coach Flip also in this business?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Do people even remember the shitshow of the previous search? It was an effing mess that came up with a decent result because Fr. Bill wanted a minority hire. Now... Leahy’s laser-focused on ticking the next box. We will be hiring a female AD. Mark it down. I hear there are a bunch of strong candidates. However, the most accomplished names are the wrong sex and race.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Wed May 20, 2020 11:03 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Isn't Coach Flip also in this business?

Yes. Turnkey.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Caparro will not get the job. Probably a good sign that they didn't go with a more obvious internal candidate.

Regarding Matt Hass, why do you "think the politics of this process will kill his candidacy."?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Caparro will not get the job. Probably a good sign that they didn't go with a more obvious internal candidate.

Regarding Matt Hass, why do you "think the politics of this process will kill his candidacy."?

See my post about Leahy not hiring a white male.

Danny White, Mark Jackson, Ed McLaughlin, Matt Hasselbeck, Graham Neff... all would be interested. None will be chosen for reasons they were born with.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

He doesn't check any of Leahy's boxes. He has no experience. He has enough of a name and connections that he wouldn't have to kiss the ring all the time.

I like Matt and the idea. I think he has the right mix of smarts, work ethic and respect for BC. I also think helping out Jarmond shows that he gets it and cares about BC. I just don't think Leahy will reward him now.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

See my post about Leahy not hiring a white male.

So I guess Fred Smerlas and Bob Sweeney are out.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed May 20, 2020 2:54 pm

bill romanowski

gene defilippo

margie from lower

paul grant

rick kuhn

bill leahy

seymore skinner (nee armin tamzatian)