Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby eaglesmith on Sat May 16, 2020 12:45 pm

eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat May 16, 2020 12:49 pm

I thought MJ was good not great. Thought the hiring process of him was great.

I don’t care at all about non rev sports.

Basketball remains an absolute mess

Hafley I really like, but ultimately is unproven. Hope he works out.

Fundraising, he was good. Likely the primary reason UCLA got him.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I thought MJ was good not great. Thought the hiring process of him was great.

I don’t care at all about non rev sports.

Basketball remains an absolute mess

Hafley I really like, but ultimately is unproven. Hope he works out.

Fundraising, he was good. Likely the primary reason UCLA got him.

Why do you think the hiring process of Jarmond was great? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Doesn’t make much sense. Los Angeles is an absolute mess. Good weather but how is this possibly a step up from BC? It didn’t seem like BC was his destination when hired but figured once he left it would be for a factory not a a school with very mediocre sports. Maybe he really wanted to be in California? It seemed like he wanted the USC job as well.

I liked Jarmond and wanted him to stay but we can do better. He did well with the football hiring process (though gave Addazio probably one year too many) and should have fired JC long ago.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Doesn’t make much sense. Los Angeles is an absolute mess. Good weather but how is this possibly a step up from BC? It didn’t seem like BC was his destination when hired but figured once he left it would be for a factory not a a school with very mediocre sports. Maybe he really wanted to be in California? It seemed like he wanted the USC job as well.

I liked Jarmond and wanted him to stay but we can do better. He did well with the football hiring process (though gave Addazio probably one year too many) and should have fired JC long ago.

You are missing the point. The hiring and firing was still in the hands of Fr. Leahy.

Your critiques were decisions that were overruled.

I would assume at UCLA he will have more autonomy. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 16, 2020 1:35 pm

i think the process of hiring someone who has had success at multiple big time programs, is viewed as a riser in the industry, etc. is a huge step forward from miami of ohio fans thanking us for hiring bates.

overall i'd give marty a b-. hafley looks good but who knows. basketball program is a clusterfuck, jc is still here and we're no closer to having an indoor facility. hockey is self sustaining and has it's donorbase that gives jerry what he wants. jarmond brought energy to a program that needed it. he also modernized the program in ways that aren't obvious (upping academic support, now more teams flying charter, etc).

thamel reporting bc made a big step up to keep him is encouraging. we'll see if that carries over.
Last edited by claver2010 on Sat May 16, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Be interesting to see if Jarmond pursues Hafley if he is successful after a year or two.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat May 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:And the UNLV AD Reed-Francois just withdrew from consideration.

This isn't looking good. Any chance we can fire Jimmy C asap and have MJ hire a hoops coach in the couple days before he leaves?

Trying to figure out how it was her job to lose in the first place.

The only thing that she seemed to accomplish so far is keeping Tony Sanchez around long enough so that all of those Fertitta checks could clear.

When this thread first popped up, I though she may have a nice resume with a couple of smart hires. Chris Beard in March 2016 for men's hoops. Ofcoarse 3 weeks later the Texas Tech job opened up and it was the only school in his contract with UNLV that he could exercise an escape clause for.
Turns out that was the AD before Desiree got here

The hiring of local HS FB coach Tony Sanchez from Bishop Gorman, after he had built that program to a national power, wasnt about rebuilding a FB program. It was about Sanchez's ability to get the Fertitta's to pony up huge dollars for facilities. Turns out that hire was before desiree's time at UNLV too.

All she's done is fire those guys and hire an assistant from oregon as the new FB coach and some guy no one has ever heard of out of the Dakotas for hoops.

Im not sure if she even had anything to do with UNLV FB being able to play at the new Raiders Dome on the strip.

Seems crazy that she was UCLA's top choice and it seems even crazier that she is a UCLA alum and wants to stay in Vegas.

I wonder if she withdrew her name because she knew she wasn't going to get it.

It definitely looks that way.

Jarmond was always a short timer. He agreed to let Leahy be the ultimate decision maker where others asked for full control and in return he got to skip the level of being AD at the Fordhams of the world going right to a Power 5.

From the day he arrived it was just a matter of time before he left. He tried to get the USC job before even making a major coaching hire.

He got overruled on firing Addazio last year and overruled on firing JC this year. How long would you want to work under those conditions when you don't have to?

The missing piece of his puzzle was have you made a major hire? Yes, and it has been very well received.

Bye Martin. We had some nice conversations and people kept asking why I was not more enthusiastic about him and his "energy". It was because he was not really worth my time or effort.

Hopefully, UCLA just needs power bars and a fruit grab and go station. The sum total of Martin's contributions to BC! (just kidding, he was fine) :ace

I don't know how true that is about Daz.
Someone close to the program is insisting that Jarmond did not want to fire Daz this year and was forced to by donors.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 2:04 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:And the UNLV AD Reed-Francois just withdrew from consideration.

This isn't looking good. Any chance we can fire Jimmy C asap and have MJ hire a hoops coach in the couple days before he leaves?

The only thing that she seemed to accomplish so far is keeping Tony Sanchez around long enough so that all of those Fertitta checks could clear.

When this thread first popped up, I though she may have a nice resume with a couple of smart hires. Chris Beard in March 2016 for men's hoops. Ofcoarse 3 weeks later the Texas Tech job opened up and it was the only school in his contract with UNLV that he could exercise an escape clause for.

The hiring of local HS FB coach Tony Sanchez from Bishop Gorman, after he had built that program to a national power, wasnt about rebuilding a FB program. It was about Sanchez's ability to get the Fertitta's to pony up huge dollars for facilities. Turns out that hire was before desiree's time at UNLV too.

All she's done is fire those guys and hire an assistant from oregon as the new FB coach and some guy no one has ever heard of out of the Dakotas for hoops.

Im not sure if she even had anything to do with UNLV FB being able to play at the new Raiders Dome on the strip.

Seems crazy that she was UCLA's top choice and it seems even crazier that she is a UCLA alum and wants to stay in Vegas.

Jarmond was always a short timer. He agreed to let Leahy be the ultimate decision maker where others asked for full control and in return he got to skip the level of being AD at the Fordhams of the world going right to a Power 5.

From the day he arrived it was just a matter of time before he left. He tried to get the USC job before even making a major coaching hire.

He got overruled on firing Addazio last year and overruled on firing JC this year. How long would you want to work under those conditions when you don't have to?

The missing piece of his puzzle was have you made a major hire? Yes, and it has been very well received.

Bye Martin. We had some nice conversations and people kept asking why I was not more enthusiastic about him and his "energy". It was because he was not really worth my time or effort.

Hopefully, UCLA just needs power bars and a fruit grab and go station. The sum total of Martin's contributions to BC! (just kidding, he was fine) :ace

Someone close to the program is insisting that Jarmond did not want to fire Daz this year and was forced to by donors.

You either have no source or whomever this person is has lied to you about how close to the program he or she is.

BC does not let its donors have almost any say.

If you reread the threads I had announced Daz was fired way before anyone knew what was happening. Jarmond had made up his mind and was working Leahy for a long time to get rid of him.

If Jarmond wanted to keep Dazz Leahy would have been all for it. The faux extension last year was a compromise because Leahy would not sign off on firing and Jarmond didn't want to give him an extension.

Fr. Leahy was firmly in charge of hiring and firing.

The only thing that is plausible is Jarmond initially was hoping to get out of BC without having any major hires on his resume but that changed over time. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm

He’s apparently getting 1.2 million from UCLA and BC got at least fairly close on the counteroffer.

If we’re willing to shell out there’s no reason we can’t make a good hire here.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat May 16, 2020 3:15 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:He’s apparently getting 1.2 million from UCLA and BC got at least fairly close on the counteroffer.

If we’re willing to shell out there’s no reason we can’t make a good hire here.

except for the leahy factor mentioned above.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat May 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

You either have no source or whomever this person is has lied to you about how close to the program he or she is.

BC does not let its donors have almost any say.

If you reread the threads I had announced Daz was fired way before anyone knew what was happening. Jarmond had made up his mind and was working Leahy for a long time to get rid of him.

If Jarmond wanted to keep Dazz Leahy would have been all for it. The faux extension last year was a compromise because Leahy would not sign off on firing and Jarmond didn't want to give him an extension.

Fr. Leahy was firmly in charge of hiring and firing.

The only thing that is plausible is Jarmond initially was hoping to get out of BC without having any major hires on his resume but that changed over time. :ace

This. I have a friend who was heavily involved in the building of the new Plex. Fr. Leahy made the decisions about the tiniest of details, such as the exact hue of maroon used. EVERYTHING had to be run by him for final approval, authority wasn't delegated to anyone - maybe for his closest confidants.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 16, 2020 6:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i think the process of hiring someone who has had success at multiple big time programs, is viewed as a riser in the industry, etc. is a huge step forward from miami of ohio fans thanking us for hiring bates.

overall i'd give marty a b-. hafley looks good but who knows. basketball program is a clusterfuck, jc is still here and we're no closer to having an indoor facility. hockey is self sustaining and has it's donorbase that gives jerry what he wants. jarmond brought energy to a program that needed it. he also modernized the program in ways that aren't obvious (upping academic support, now more teams flying charter, etc).

thamel reporting bc made a big step up to keep him is encouraging. we'll see if that carries over.

Not that anyone cares, but I endorse the above message.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat May 16, 2020 6:53 pm

I give Marty a B+ maybe even an A-. As a fan, the most important thing an AD has to do is hire a good football coach if given the opportunity. I think he hit it out of the park, but that's more of a prediction at this stage. As he said in the presser, he chose to do it himself instead of hire a firm. Smart decision. He also hired a great women's basketball coach. As for men's basketball, maybe Leahy restricted his options, not sure. I think he would have hired a good replacement if given the opportunity. He also promoted the old BC logo. Fundraising seemed to be decent.

On the negative side, he did a couple of questionable things, albeit minor. I didn't make it to any hockey games this year, but I guess he experimented with restricting the pep band and using a DJ. In his words, it was to appeal to a "diverse" audience. Weird move when the pep band adds a lot to the hockey environment. And when the marching band would play before football games, it used to say the "oldest fight song in the country" on the video boards and that was removed. Why? And overall, he wasn't 100% invested in BC. I get that you want somebody who is talented with high aspirations who might move on, but you want somebody who is passionate about BC while he is here.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Marty was an A. take him back right now. You are all just bitter bitches rooting for a second rate football program. It's cool. But stop.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Marty was an A. take him back right now. You are all just bitter bitches rooting for a second rate football program. It's cool. But stop.

Can’t give him an A with the state of this basketball program.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:51 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Marty was an A. take him back right now. You are all just bitter bitches rooting for a second rate football program. It's cool. But stop.

Wish I rooted for a school where it was his choice.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat May 16, 2020 7:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Yup. He's above a B- but can't give him an A because of that.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I wish I believed that was his making.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat May 16, 2020 8:56 pm

All Marty has to do is raise money for the next two years and start putting together a list of candidates for the UCLA football job while Chip Kelly circles the drain. Mick Cronin will be fine in the PAC-12, especially with Arizona in a zombie state as Sean Miller waits to get arrested by the feds. He’s probably got five or six years of Cronin not making the Final Four before the boosters demand MJ fire him. With his hiring the booster spigots will open up and that $20 million debt will be gone shortly. Maybe he’ll hire Hafley again in a couple of years when he fires Chip Kelly.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Los on Sat May 16, 2020 9:44 pm

What makes him an A? The fact that we got an extra hour tacked on to the front end of tailgating? Cool.

His one big move has yet to be evaluated. A year from now we may know if he's a B+, but we won't know he's an A unless BC somehow miraculously wins the ACC in football in the next three years.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sat May 16, 2020 10:14 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Be interesting to see if Jarmond pursues Hafley if he is successful after a year or two.

Duh. Obviously he will pursue Schiano
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Los {l Wrote}:What makes him an A? The fact that we got an extra hour tacked on to the front end of tailgating? Cool.

His one big move has yet to be evaluated. A year from now we may know if he's a B+, but we won't know he's an A unless BC somehow miraculously wins the ACC in football in the next three years.

Jaded second rate school fans. Hes the best AD you can get. Thus, A. And he left to a dumpster fire that should hurt like fuck.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat May 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Jarmond is overrated.

I think the Hafley hire will prove to be a good one but as of this moment that is an unknown. So other than being credited for raising 105 million dollars what has he done? Not impressed. #ELR

Also, word on the street is the reason he left had nothing to do with BC but rather his family did not like living in the northeast.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm

LOL at BC fans. Thats why we have a Jesuit Athletic Director.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I wish I believed that was his making.

Re-signing Jimmy Mac to a very real extension because he believed the program turned the corner when Bowman and Robinson secured an NIT invite was Marty’s making. Drunk tedwardo thinks that move was fucking Aces.

Here’s the thing about Leahy... he does not want to pay people to not be here (and then hire a more expensive replacement). He simply won’t let AD’s out of their mistakes. The trash Bates left Marty was not of Jarmond’s making and he should have had more leverage to fire. That said, Marty owned JC as soon as he gave him an extension. That was his guy. Coming back the very next year and lobbying for a check to cleanup the mess was not a good look.

Besides, MJ beat out others because he promised to work with the inherited coaches (while other candidates argued for an immediate change). He knew what he was getting into... and that involved Costco trips for granola bars at a super new snack table. Perhaps, the absence of Welch’s Fruit Snacks is what ultimately kept him from grading out as an A+.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 pm

The revisionist hstory is priceless. I will go on record that boring HJS will long for Marty in about 3 months.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm

My wife, who gets dragged to games and could give a fuck but hangs in there with the other 22,456 fans, said "why did they get rid of him, he's great." I said that he left, and she said, "that sounds like a BC problem."

Bingo. And she thinks Sherman Alston still plays in the slot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I will go on record that Marty gave a real extension to JC and you apparently think it was well deserved.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I will go on record that Marty gave a real extension to JC and you apparently think it was well deserved.

You are a BC fan the way my old man was a Red Sox fan before they started winning the World Series, It's amusing for 10-20 minutes, and then it is just masochism.

Christian sucks, he is an F. Marty is an A. We got to keep one, yeah.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium