Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu May 14, 2020 8:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That is the most naive post I have ever read. Replacing very good coaches is extremely difficult to do. BC is far better off retaining top talent and building a top tier program. Cycling through coaches is all that has ever happened at BC that is why we are a stepping stone. One bad hire and it’s back to the bottom third of the conference.

Go Eagles!

Lookin for the space.

Nobody can keep good coaches forever (just look at Saban leaving MSU, LSU and the Dolphins for other jobs), but at the same time, we shouldn't embrace stepping stone status. Money talks. Pay good people a lot of money. It's worth the investment. Ever to Excel.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Thu May 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:If he wants to have his family live in Pasadena (which is nice). It’s a good move. It is a higher profile gig. However, it isn’t a major step up.

It is a State school in a State that is teetering on bankruptcy. One of university systems (the one that has schools like Fresno and San Diego State) already cancelled college for next Fall. From a stability perspective, BC is a better gig. Financially, PAC12 does better than the ACC because they have the most ridiculous contract. The next go around for them will likely be difficult because their viewership is in the toilet.

From a coaching perspective, Chip Kelly hasn’t been the home run everyone thought and his contract is massive. They just gave a massive contract to Mick Cronin as well. He’d have a runway similar to BC where he’d have a good 3 years to let contracts bleed out before making a move. Fans there are more laid back than USC and are even more patient when USC is also down.

At the end of the day, this is what we signed up for... bring in people who will do a good job and then leave.

Pasadena = Rose Bowl

Westwood = UCLA campus :ace

Bump. :ace

Personally couldn’t give a shit about anything other than football and hoops but in the athletics world, UCLA is as prestigious as it gets with a number of highly ranked sports. Not even to mention LA vs Boston...which is not even in the same solar system
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 14, 2020 8:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That is the most naive post I have ever read. Replacing very good coaches is extremely difficult to do. BC is far better off retaining top talent and building a top tier program. Cycling through coaches is all that has ever happened at BC that is why we are a stepping stone. One bad hire and it’s back to the bottom third of the conference.

Go Eagles!

Lookin for the space.

I laughed
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu May 14, 2020 9:17 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
Not even to mention LA vs Boston...which is not even in the same solar system

Hmm...somebody is not paying attention to what is happening in LA. And it's not like Boston is Manhattan, Kansas. Boston is the third most expensive real estate market in the lower 48.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2020 9:37 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:If he wants to have his family live in Pasadena (which is nice). It’s a good move. It is a higher profile gig. However, it isn’t a major step up.

It is a State school in a State that is teetering on bankruptcy. One of university systems (the one that has schools like Fresno and San Diego State) already cancelled college for next Fall. From a stability perspective, BC is a better gig. Financially, PAC12 does better than the ACC because they have the most ridiculous contract. The next go around for them will likely be difficult because their viewership is in the toilet.

From a coaching perspective, Chip Kelly hasn’t been the home run everyone thought and his contract is massive. They just gave a massive contract to Mick Cronin as well. He’d have a runway similar to BC where he’d have a good 3 years to let contracts bleed out before making a move. Fans there are more laid back than USC and are even more patient when USC is also down.

At the end of the day, this is what we signed up for... bring in people who will do a good job and then leave.

Pasadena = Rose Bowl

Westwood = UCLA campus :ace

Bump. :ace

Personally couldn’t give a shit about anything other than football and hoops but in the athletics world, UCLA is as prestigious as it gets with a number of highly ranked sports. Not even to mention LA vs Boston...which is not even in the same solar system

I hear you, LA I'd tell you LA is fucking terrible, but I am stuck on the 10 going to nofuckingwherethatlookslikearealcity, so I will be late. Say hi to my agent tomorrow.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2020 9:46 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles!

Lookin for the space.

I laughed

I know my audience.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu May 14, 2020 9:53 pm

We ain't waitin' for them Yankees:

When asked if could envision a scenario where the conference moves forward with a football season even if some schools are unable to participate, Swofford said that definitely could be an option.

"I don't know what the threshold is," he said. "We haven't really reached a point of having that discussion; I'm sure we will in due time, as to whether it's three-fourths or two-thirds or 50 percent, or whatever it might be. But I don't think some schools not being able to compete necessarily keeps the majority of the schools who could compete from competing. But again, it's premature to answer that question fully at this point."
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby flakes on Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

Hmm...somebody is not paying attention to what is happening in LA. And it's not like Boston is Manhattan, Kansas. Boston is the third most expensive real estate market in the lower 48.

If you're talking covid, they have 10x the population as Boston and half the deaths. That's crazy. And not that it matters, but Boston is definitely behind San Fran, San Jose, LA and Manhattan in terms of housing market. They are probably anywhere between 5 and 7.

All I'm saying is...if you had an opportunity to do your dream job/the same job in LA or Boston, it's not that hard of a decision.

All that said, really hope he stays.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

If you're talking covid, they have 10x the population as Boston and half the deaths. That's crazy. And not that it matters, but Boston is definitely behind San Fran, San Jose, LA and Manhattan in terms of housing market. They are probably anywhere between 5 and 7.

All I'm saying is...if you had an opportunity to do your dream job/the same job in LA or Boston, it's not that hard of a decision.

I'm not talking about covid. I'm talking about living in a million dollar home and looking across the street at homeless camps.

I could get a job in LA, but it's an easy decision not to.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

Yup, zero chance I would take the same job in LA over Boston unless I was a dumb actor. That place fucking blows. San Francisco is a different story.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2020 11:10 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

I'm not talking about covid. I'm talking about living in a million dollar home and looking across the street at homeless camps.

I could get a job in LA, but it's an easy decision not to.

This, I am surprised this is a question. Ignoring that UCLA is a mediocre state school with shitty athletics, LA blows.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 am

Add in close to a 15% state income tax!

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby yurch10 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:10 am

And the UNLV AD Reed-Francois just withdrew from consideration.

This isn't looking good. Any chance we can fire Jimmy C asap and have MJ hire a hoops coach in the couple days before he leaves?
yurch10
n00b

Postby BC923 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:15 am

There are real, live people that find LA appealing?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 am

LA is great ... if you can afford to buy a $4 million dollar house in a gated community
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am

It is Marty's job if he wants it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 am

Give him a raise or kiss him goodbye
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am

thamel says bc is making a push to keep marty.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1261328496934170627
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:thamel says bc is making a push to keep marty.

This is simple. If you are BC admin and you like what he has done, you match whatever UCLA is offering. If you think he has done a good (but not incredible) job, you thank him and wish him well. If that young talent keeps coming to you annually with new offers, eventually you may get tired of it and decide that he isn't worth the latest. But, how this plays out will say a lot about Marty and how BC views him.

The thing about hiring good, young talent is that they will be presented with other opportunities. That's a good thing because it allows you the option to keep a known quantity or move onto the next.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri May 15, 2020 11:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

This is simple. If you are BC admin and you like what he has done, you match whatever UCLA is offering. If you think he has done a good (but not incredible) job, you thank him and wish him well. If that young talent keeps coming to you annually with new offers, eventually you may get tired of it and decide that he isn't worth the latest. But, how this plays out will say a lot about Marty and how BC views him.

The thing about hiring good, young talent is that they will be presented with other opportunities. That's a good thing because it allows you the option to keep a known quantity or move onto the next.

This would be an odd move for MJ and it would be a big loss for BC but I don't think anyone thought he was in for the long term.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:56 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:LA is great ... if you can afford to buy a $4 million dollar house in a gated community

Only because you can probably afford a driver.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am

UCLA is a challenging gig. Likely would have to be a long term move for his family. Can't hire any coaches for a while... will be spending most of the time shoring up the financials. I personally hate LA as a city (feel the opposite about Boston). That said, if he is making something like $5mm a year (I have no idea what is offered... just slotting him in between Chip and Cronin), he could afford Malibu or a real nice place in Santa Monica. Both areas are beautiful. And, especially Malibu, would be a nice place to raise a family (Santa Monica less so as you get some beach element with the Pier).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This would be an odd move for MJ and it would be a big loss for BC but I don't think anyone thought he was in for the long term.

This. I just was hoping a little longer and not to lose him to a dumpster fire like UCLA.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:UCLA is a challenging gig. Likely would have to be a long term move for his family. Can't hire any coaches for a while... will be spending most of the time shoring up the financials. I personally hate LA as a city (feel the opposite about Boston). That said, if he is making something like $5mm a year (I have no idea what is offered... just slotting him in between Chip and Cronin), he could afford Malibu or a real nice place in Santa Monica. Both areas are beautiful. And, especially Malibu, would be a nice place to raise a family (Santa Monica less so as you get some beach element with the Pier).

The beach element largely stays to the south in Venice. Santa Monica is not Malibu, but its still nice. Again, as long as you don't have to go anywhere in a car.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 15, 2020 12:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:UCLA is a challenging gig. Likely would have to be a long term move for his family. Can't hire any coaches for a while... will be spending most of the time shoring up the financials. I personally hate LA as a city (feel the opposite about Boston). That said, if he is making something like $5mm a year (I have no idea what is offered... just slotting him in between Chip and Cronin), he could afford Malibu or a real nice place in Santa Monica. Both areas are beautiful. And, especially Malibu, would be a nice place to raise a family (Santa Monica less so as you get some beach element with the Pier).

The beach element largely stays to the south in Venice. Santa Monica is not Malibu, but its still nice. Again, as long as you don't have to go anywhere in a car.

I spent like 2 years in LA for a consulting gig. Stayed at the JW in Santa Monica and drove to Westwood Monday - Friday. Unless you can work flexible hours, I can't imagine anyone signing up voluntarily for that daily commute.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 12:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Going to the Westwood campus coming from the ocean isn't that bad of a commute at all. I'd take it over anything into Boston west of 95.

This comes down to where he sees his career. He moves to UCLA, he's going to stay put for a while. If he want the B10 or SEC, he should stay put at BC and move in a year or two. Look... maybe he wants something more permanent. I can certainly see how he may view UCLA as a better option. I could also see how someone would prefer to stay at BC long term. But, let's be real here... UCLA is not like he's leaving for UC Davis or URI. UCLA's athletic department brings in much more revenue than that of BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Going to the Westwood campus coming from the ocean isn't that bad of a commute at all. I'd take it over anything into Boston west of 95.

This comes down to where he sees his career. He moves to UCLA, he's going to stay put for a while. If he want the B10 or SEC, he should stay put at BC and move in a year or two. Look... maybe he wants something more permanent. I can certainly see how he may view UCLA as a better option. I could also see how someone would prefer to stay at BC long term. But, let's be real here... UCLA is not like he's leaving for UC Davis or URI. UCLA's athletic department brings in much more revenue than that of BC.

It seems like an unnecessary move and one where the is a greater chance of failure than success. There is much less potential to screw up at BC (or more willingness to overlook it) than at UCLA which would damage chances of going to B1G or SEC (assuming thats what he wants, maybe he always wanted to be at Pac 12 school)
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This. I just was hoping a little longer and not to lose him to a dumpster fire like UCLA.

I don't see how UCLA is a dumpster fire. They are excellent at almost every (non-revenue) sport, which matters in the AD world. Football has underachieved, but we're not exactly lighting it up either. BC's non-revenue sports have largely been downright awful in the ACC (and we can include basketball in that as well). Fold in the fact that you can spend about 364 of 365 days a year outside...I must be missing something.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Boston commute from the West is by far the easiest of the three directions. South is the worst. North not far behind. Boston is also worse at rush hour than almost any other city, but at every other time of the day, has no traffic relatively speaking. LA is terrible at 3 am.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Boston commute from the West is by far the easiest of the three directions. South is the worst. North not far behind. Boston is also worse at rush hour than almost any other city, but at every other time of the day, has no traffic relatively speaking. LA is terrible at 3 am.

If his office is on the main Westwood campus, the commute from Santa Monica is the same as his commute would be from Wellesley to BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium