Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby hansen on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:If I recall UA overbid by a wide margin to win the BC contract. Their bid might have been double the closest competitor? Champion has started making a comeback... :ace

Make it so.
https://www.starter.com/

I own a BC starter jacket. I haven’t looked at it recently but I remember it being a bit louder than that and much closer to Reebok red color than our actual maroon color. I’ll wear it to the next EO nametag event.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I thought all Boston area starter jackets spelled BC "Notre Dame"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I thought all Boston area starter jackets spelled BC "Notre Dame"

:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am

Fedexiled stock up +17.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

I have heard it through the grapevine that UA is going to go private. The share price is so low now that it would make sense. Cancelling the bad deals they made with UCLA and Cal would also make sense. The interesting one to look at is their deal with Notre Dame. It was, at the time, the biggest endorsement deal in NCAA history, but it was also a stock-heavy deal that has obviously been disastrous for Notre Dame and should have lead to Savvy Jack Swarbrick getting canned. That deal has actually worked out well for UA—ND sells more merchandise than any other college, but I wonder that if UA is going private, what ND will demand as one of UA’s biggest shareholders. Got to believe they are looking to recoup some losses.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

ND can't be that big of a shareholder they're not in the proxy. by which I really mean ND has no leverage here. any going-private transaction will be at a premium to the stock's recent price
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:39 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:ND can't be that big of a shareholder they're not in the proxy. by which I really mean ND has no leverage here. any going-private transaction will be at a premium to the stock's recent price

Perhaps, but having been involved in taking Dell private I can tell you that some of the sizable, but not necessarily largest contractual relationships proved much harder to deal with then pretty much every shareholder outside of Carl Icahn.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:00 pm

I've had my dealings with Icahn too. almost all pleasant, but i had no skin in his games.

Think ND is their largest contract? UCLA's is massive, but UA tossed some large ones to a lot of places.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Pretty big NFL names are under UA contract. Lotsa small 1AA schools, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... onsorships
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I have heard it through the grapevine that UA is going to go private. The share price is so low now that it would make sense. Cancelling the bad deals they made with UCLA and Cal would also make sense. The interesting one to look at is their deal with Notre Dame. It was, at the time, the biggest endorsement deal in NCAA history, but it was also a stock-heavy deal that has obviously been disastrous for Notre Dame and should have lead to Savvy Jack Swarbrick getting canned. That deal has actually worked out well for UA—ND sells more merchandise than any other college, but I wonder that if UA is going private, what ND will demand as one of UA’s biggest shareholders. Got to believe they are looking to recoup some losses.

Does it make any sense for a competitor like Nike or Adidas to buy UA instead?
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 am

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I have heard it through the grapevine that UA is going to go private. The share price is so low now that it would make sense. Cancelling the bad deals they made with UCLA and Cal would also make sense. The interesting one to look at is their deal with Notre Dame. It was, at the time, the biggest endorsement deal in NCAA history, but it was also a stock-heavy deal that has obviously been disastrous for Notre Dame and should have lead to Savvy Jack Swarbrick getting canned. That deal has actually worked out well for UA—ND sells more merchandise than any other college, but I wonder that if UA is going private, what ND will demand as one of UA’s biggest shareholders. Got to believe they are looking to recoup some losses.

Does it make any sense for a competitor like Nike or Adidas to buy UA instead?

Probably not Adidas or Nike. But, might make sense for a brand like New Balance. UA is very heavy in apparel and weak in shoes... vice versa on NB. Could be some nice synergies there.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 am

Planck owns 2/3s of the voting power of the stock. I know nothing about the guy, except that I'd be shocked if he sold to competitor - it's his baby and his ego
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:ND can't be that big of a shareholder they're not in the proxy. by which I really mean ND has no leverage here. any going-private transaction will be at a premium to the stock's recent price

Perhaps, but having been involved in taking Dell private I can tell you that some of the sizable, but not necessarily largest contractual relationships proved much harder to deal with then pretty much every shareholder outside of Carl Icahn.

This is not 100% reliable but most articles make reference to ND getting options at the time the deal was consummated which I would imagine are very very far under water at this time.

One article said at this time (2018) the ND deal is #6 in overall college apparel company size (Wisconsin and UCLA having larger UA contracts). It is possible with the stock price tanking the ND deal is one that UA would want to hold onto. I did not see if there have been extensions beyond 2024.

I cannot verify this but there is a rumor that a long standing member of The New York Athletic Club of the City of New York brokered a meeting between UA and Nike when UA started making NYAC apparel. Why? Out of loyalty to his friend Phil Knight he refused to wear non Nike apparel but because of his love of the NYAC he felt conflicted not wearing the new NYAC UA apparel. UA was less interested in the meeting at the time circa 2014 than Nike (if you believe in these urban legends). :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

This is not 100% reliable but most articles make reference to ND getting options at the time the deal was consummated which I would imagine are very very far under water at this time.

One article said at this time (2018) the ND deal is #6 in overall college apparel company size (Wisconsin and UCLA having larger UA contracts). It is possible with the stock price tanking the ND deal is one that UA would want to hold onto. I did not see if there have been extensions beyond 2024.

I cannot verify this but there is a rumor that a long standing member of The New York Athletic Club of the City of New York brokered a meeting between UA and Nike when UA started making NYAC apparel. Why? Out of loyalty to his friend Phil Knight he refused to wear non Nike apparel but because of his love of the NYAC he felt conflicted not wearing the new NYAC UA apparel. UA was less interested in the meeting at the time circa 2014 than Nike (if you believe in these urban legends). :ace

As a member of NYAC, I doubt Nike cares about NYAC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:08 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

As a member of NYAC, I doubt Nike cares about NYAC.

:suicide :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:18 am

apparently the ac did not discount this year under the guise of 'keeping all employees you love employed', then proceeded lay off some and set up a go fund me for the members to support the employees. care to confirm logi?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:apparently the ac did not discount this year under the guise of 'keeping all employees you love employed', then proceeded lay off some and set up a go fund me for the members to support the employees. care to confirm logi?

Yes, I can confirm that. Semi-annual dues had to paid by 4/1 and the club closed around 3/23 (NYC and NY State regulations). Basically they called the payment a donation to the employees. They also have kept billing each month for operational expenses as if it is business as usual. They have as you noted laid off most people.

The leadership on this situation has been underwhelming at best. From personal conversations with the hierarchy they are extraordinarily dim with no forward thinking. They just hide behind the governor/mayor if pushed and mention they send out emails each day about different wines you should be trying. They got caught totally off guard that Travers Island was allowed to open as part of Phase 3. Nothing was prepared. Crazy scramble that week to have things in place.

They have waived our food minimums! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:43 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:They have waived our food minimums! :ace

:woot One less chance to contract WuFlu.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:They have waived our food minimums! :ace

:woot One less chance to contract WuFlu.

Zing! :whammy
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:05 pm

Why is anyone over the age of 30 still a member of the AC? The AC is a way station, a place you join on the relative cheap while attending the FLS diploma mill if you are too donkey Irish to get into the U Club. But the idea that one would still be there when you have procured enough cash to join an honest to goodness country club is beyond ridiculous. The AC is for children and irredeemable alcoholics.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Why is anyone over the age of 30 still a member of the AC? The AC is a way station, a place you join on the relative cheap while attending the FLS diploma mill if you are too donkey Irish to get into the U Club. But the idea that one would still be there when you have procured enough cash to join an honest to goodness country club is beyond ridiculous. The AC is for children and irredeemable alcoholics.

How much does the NYAC cost? My butler is asking.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Why is anyone over the age of 30 still a member of the AC? The AC is a way station, a place you join on the relative cheap while attending the FLS diploma mill if you are too donkey Irish to get into the U Club. But the idea that one would still be there when you have procured enough cash to join an honest to goodness country club is beyond ridiculous. The AC is for children and irredeemable alcoholics.

You would have a more intimate view of the current membership since your cousin (iona prep graduate) works for the NYAC. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

You would have a more intimate view of the current membership since your cousin (iona prep graduate) works for the NYAC. :ace

Wait. Back that up for a moment. As you well know, one of the more shameful aspects of my extended donkey Irish family is the number of Iona Prep grads. Which particular cousin is an employee at the AC. I take it that it was the once promising hoopster turned tennis pro. The other two or three do not seem to have skill sets that would lend themselves to working at the AC—and seemed to be above that station in life at this point. The tennis pro also makes sense as his brother-in-law is your former classmate at Parkchester Prep and apparently a member at the AC. I believe the tennis pro also resides in New Rochelle and would thus be a prime candidate for employment at that pathetic island facility that always gave the Hollow tennis team a good chuckle when we steamrolled the AC in MITL matches. I believe my butler’s pool boy’s gardener used to play there.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Wait. Back that up for a moment. As you well know, one of the more shameful aspects of my extended donkey Irish family is the number of Iona Prep grads. Which particular cousin is an employee at the AC. I take it that it was the once promising hoopster turned tennis pro. The other two or three do not seem to have skill sets that would lend themselves to working at the AC—and seemed to be above that station in life at this point. The tennis pro also makes sense as his brother-in-law is your former classmate at Parkchester Prep and apparently a member at the AC. I believe the tennis pro also resides in New Rochelle and would thus be a prime candidate for employment at that pathetic island facility that always gave the Hollow tennis team a good chuckle when we steamrolled the AC in MITL matches. I believe my butler’s pool boy’s gardener used to play there.

Fordham Prep should thank your family for it was a certain IP alum converted FP father, member of the Hollow that influenced one of the best golfers to come out of the northeast in a generation to grace the halls of the Prep and I believe win 4 city titles in golf.

The brother-in-law and my fellow FLS/parkchester prep alum (not classmate) only has spousal privileges. His wife, your cousin, is now and has forever been the "member". I crashed a first birthday party for your first cousin once removed at the city house back when NYC was still a thing in February. Your uncle is found on the lawn of Travers Island most weekends. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Fordham Prep should thank your family for it was a certain IP alum converted FP father, member of the Hollow that influenced one of the best golfers to come out of the northeast in a generation to grace the halls of the Prep and I believe win 4 city titles in golf.

The brother-in-law and my fellow FLS/parkchester prep alum (not classmate) only has spousal privileges. His wife, your cousin, is now and has forever been the "member". I crashed a first birthday party for your first cousin once removed at the city house back when NYC was still a thing in February. Your uncle is found on the lawn of Travers Island most weekends. :ace

And a special thank you on my part to your cousin for endorsing my membership application 10 years ago. Of course, Mrs. Murt and I have moved on after they did almost irreperable damage to our butler's boat by not turning the battery on when they put it in the water, thus resulting in the bilge not pumping and the enging compartment filling with salt water. When confronted, their response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Mrs. Murt also did not like the flower arrangements on the pool deck, particularly the ones that were just herb gradens which I can't be sure they weren't just plucking basil from the flower boxes and using that in their dinners.

I have heard they renovated and updated the Tiki Bar which was in desperate need of an upgrade, though generally speaking on the weekends that thing is crawling with Ginzos from New Rochelle (I can say that because I married a Ginzo) and kids from grammar school I hated who are children of members pretending they are WASPy when at best they are just a half step up from lace curtain Irish but only because they went to Miami OH or Holy Cross and not Manhattan or Fordham.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

And a special thank you on my part to your cousin for endorsing my membership application 10 years ago. Of course, Mrs. Murt and I have moved on after they did almost irreperable damage to our butler's boat by not turning the battery on when they put it in the water, thus resulting in the bilge not pumping and the enging compartment filling with salt water. When confronted, their response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Mrs. Murt also did not like the flower arrangements on the pool deck, particularly the ones that were just herb gradens which I can't be sure they weren't just plucking basil from the flower boxes and using that in their dinners.

I have heard they renovated and updated the Tiki Bar which was in desperate need of an upgrade, though generally speaking on the weekends that thing is crawling with Ginzos from New Rochelle (I can say that because I married a Ginzo) and kids from grammar school I hated who are children of members pretending they are WASPy when at best they are just a half step up from lace curtain Irish but only because they went to Miami OH or Holy Cross and not Manhattan or Fordham.

Four things:

1. I am surprised that Logi was not beaten and tossed out of the Christening after his "unfortunate" relationship with yet another of my cousins. I am fairly certain I could have collected a not unsubstantial bounty had I maimed you in the aftermath of that meltdown.

2. I doubt that the IP alum turned FP parent would even concede to having attended IP at this point. IP seems to be the school of choice for my various relations who resided in Yonkers during their high school years (with one or two exceptions who got into Regis). Despite some nostalgia for the City of Gracious Living, I think if you asked the IP alum, "in his mind, he was always at FP". Of course, I sometimes also think that he might feel the same way about our respective alma mater vis a vis Holy Cross.

3. I wish things were going better for the FP golfer. He is a nice kid, but Skip informs me that the general consensus amongst the golf cognoscenti at The Hollow is that he is unlikely to make it on the PGA Tour. I am told he was leading the Q School tournament for the MacKenzie Tour (the Canadian PGA), but the final round was cancelled and the tour has been shut down ever since. The general consensus, such as it is, is he will likely make the Web.com tour at some point and might be able to hang around the fringes of the PGA Tour if everything goes well. Don't know what that assessment is based on, but it is what it is. There is apparently some other junior phenom there now who is allegedly better than the FP kid was at the same age, but I have not seen him play.

4. Murt, you deserved what you got, putting on airs and taking your boat to Travers Island. The Yonkers Yacht Club is a far superior alternative and is where you and your boat belong. If you really want to get into the Long Island Sound, take your boat down the majestic Hudson, into the Harlem River and out through Hell's Gate like decent people do.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Four things:

1. I am surprised that Logi was not beaten and tossed out of the Christening after his "unfortunate" relationship with yet another of my cousins. I am fairly certain I could have collected a not unsubstantial bounty had I maimed you in the aftermath of that meltdown.

2. I doubt that the IP alum turned FP parent would even concede to having attended IP at this point. IP seems to be the school of choice for my various relations who resided in Yonkers during their high school years (with one or two exceptions who got into Regis). Despite some nostalgia for the City of Gracious Living, I think if you asked the IP alum, "in his mind, he was always at FP". Of course, I sometimes also think that he might feel the same way about our respective alma mater vis a vis Holy Cross.

3. I wish things were going better for the FP golfer. He is a nice kid, but Skip informs me that the general consensus amongst the golf cognoscenti at The Hollow is that he is unlikely to make it on the PGA Tour. I am told he was leading the Q School tournament for the MacKenzie Tour (the Canadian PGA), but the final round was cancelled and the tour has been shut down ever since. The general consensus, such as it is, is he will likely make the Web.com tour at some point and might be able to hang around the fringes of the PGA Tour if everything goes well. Don't know what that assessment is based on, but it is what it is. There is apparently some other junior phenom there now who is allegedly better than the FP kid was at the same age, but I have not seen him play.

4. Murt, you deserved what you got, putting on airs and taking your boat to Travers Island. The Yonkers Yacht Club is a far superior alternative and is where you and your boat belong. If you really want to get into the Long Island Sound, take your boat down the majestic Hudson, into the Harlem River and out through Hell's Gate like decent people do.

I tell the people at our new club that I grew up in Bronxville and went to Prep school in the Bronx. They assume I mean Fieldston or Riverdale and so we don't need to discuss anything uncomfortable and I can conceal my Yonkers donkey roots.

FP strives to be Regis Monday to Friday and Iona on Saturday. IP has essentially stopped pretending to care about academics and more or less offers athletic scholarships by telling the athletically gifted kids some rich alum will pay their way. They also stopped requiring the COOP for kids coming from Iona Grammar since a whole generation of that school from the 90s and 00s jumped ship for FP. What's funny is, except for football, FP usually beats IP in every other sport. These day IP is more or less people from Toughchester afraid to send their kids to the Bronx and slightly above average athletes who will get Division 1 scholarships to Buffalo.

You could probably still collect on that bounty.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:49 pm

You answered your question.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:54 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

You answered your question.

Touche.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:00 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Four things:

I tell the people at our new club that I grew up in Bronxville and went to Prep school in the Bronx. They assume I mean Fieldston or Riverdale and so we don't need to discuss anything uncomfortable and I can conceal my Yonkers donkey roots.

FP strives to be Regis Monday to Friday and Iona on Saturday. IP has essentially stopped pretending to care about academics and more or less offers athletic scholarships by telling the athletically gifted kids some rich alum will pay their way. They also stopped requiring the COOP for kids coming from Iona Grammar since a whole generation of that school from the 90s and 00s jumped ship for FP. What's funny is, except for football, FP usually beats IP in every other sport. These day IP is more or less people from Toughchester afraid to send their kids to the Bronx and slightly above average athletes who will get Division 1 scholarships to Buffalo.

You could probably still collect on that bounty.

So you are passing as an RCD or Fieldston grad? Are you also telling everyone your name is Murtstein, Murtberg or Murtenthal? If you belong to Century or Quaker Ridge, these are acceptable adaptations, but I don't see you pulling it off in the long term. I thought FP was only good at white kid sports? Are they also good at basketball and if so, are they playing the city game or some sort of Bronxville/Scarsdale meets the Wisconsin Badgers type of slow-footed rock fight style?

It is interesting to hear that IP is morphing into Stepinac. I wish I still lived in Toughchester to enjoy the spectacle.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium