Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:I’d take a day drinking my way from Federal Hill through Inner Harbor through Little Italy and Fells Point and ending in Canton over both places. Sure, there is a good chance of dying 12 hours into a jag that ends in Canton or at the very least ending up drinking bootleg vodka in the basement of the Polish Home Club or worse, being shanghaied into going to Dundalk to drink in some horrible Billytown bar where the bar doesn’t close for the night until there is a stabbing, but there is something noble in the endeavor and more authentic than LA or the new and improved Boston.


This is beautiful - and you even mentioned Dundock, home of The Shit Plant, where sometimes the olive oil factory springs a leak and and oil floods the streets, where a rainfall that doesn't submerge the pilings in Fells still somehow puts half of the shittiest peninsula in the world underwater. That Polish club is a fantastic place, there's also Dnipro (Ukrainian) on O'Donnell St, just if you want to hit all the shitty eastern European cultural dumps in a night. If you do it Halloween week, you can hit the Lithuanian Hall and take in The Night of 100 Elvises.

While you're at it, ponder the great tragedy of this life that that blossom-nosed homunculus Wayne (Mahaffey's) outlived the decent and upstanding Scunny (Mamas on the Half Shell). RIP Scunny, you were an outstanding human being.

I'll tell you what, if you make it on this odyssey around the corner to Little Italy (Germano's is my favorite place there - don't ever trust an Italian place that charges more than $14 for a puttanesca and half the places there do for some damn reason) and into Fells, you'll make it to Canton provided you don't do something like stagger past Captain James down Aliceanna, get propped, and pick a fight with a pimp. With Chubbys closed, this is the only risk I can think of these days.

I have a police blotter somewhere describing a stabbing in Dundock, at a bar, executed by (and I quote that shining beacon of journalism, The Sun) 'a local woman known only as Peaches'. She had been coming to the bar every day for years and no one knew her real name - just Peaches. One of my first Dundock experiences was watching a morbidly obese woman wearing spandex and a denim jacket with a Loony Tunes iron-on push a stroller full of beer out of a liquor store while her kid trailed behind her, in the middle of a weekday. A friend of mine is an artist, actually from Dundock, and a few years ago he circulated among friends a comic book called 'Dundalk Fairy Tales'; I don't remember all of them, because 'Rapunzel, Rapunzel, lit dahn yer weave' had me helpless with tears of laughter.

Dick, I may have to perform this unholy march and report back to you with the results. Once things normalize.
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2952
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2052

Re: Marty

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 pm

eepstein0 wrote:The other guy was already waiting in the last stall when I arrived in fifth Floor O'Neill, and with an oboe lesson looming in just twenty minutes, I knew we only had a limited window for heavy petting. I meant to get a look at his face but as soon as he dropped his trousers, my senses were overwhelmed with the miasmic stench of muenster cheese - like one of those cellars where the cheese breathes for weeks. I sank to my knees and gagged; a second later, I felt something bumping against my forehead. It felt like an ancient saddlebag sewn together from discarded pleather car seats, woven into a pool table net, and swinging around the bottom was the eight ball and the cue ball. Game over, eepstein, I thought to myself, breathe through your mouth, get through this, and then crush that oboe lesson: one foot in front of the other will surely bring you to the promised land of platinum status.

And Baltimore sucks


Seriously, why do you have to pile on Baltimore?
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2952
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2052

Re: Marty

Postby Logitano on Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 pm

hansen wrote:
Manny wrote:
hansen wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:Who is Dan Rubin?:

I remember now how intimidated I was when I met
@MartinJarmond
for the first time. Three years later, I’ll never forget how happy it made me to see him at a scrimmage or game.


Sounds like Martin Juicebar''s man on the down low.

BC staff writer


Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit, and any other bullshit you'd file in the same folder. Argue if you want over the relative stability of the athletic departments; debate if you must the relative merits of living in Boston vs. LA. But Jarmond was never long for BC. Anyone who expected otherwise is an idiot. He came into a shit situation, made it better, and represented alma mater with energy and integrity. That he left for a professional opportunity he determined to be better is not a character flaw, or even the beginnings of a reason to speak ill of him.


Just think his tenure was highly overrated. raised a lot of money and landed Hafley (his biggest accomplishment as it stands now). that's pretty much it. like I said on BC twitter, I give him a B- (unless the rumors about him firing Alison Foley are true... in that case, he gets a C+).

p.s. members of the football team claim that he did not want to fire Daz either but the BOT forced his hand after some former players threatened to them they would stop donating immediately. so before we deify Juicebar, I think we need to stop and consider maybe he wasn't the savior people are making him out to be.


You should really stop peddling the false rumor on Jarmond wanting to keep Daz. It is not even logical.

If you have learned anything over the years the members of the team would be the last ones to know what really happened.

Again, the decision on Dazz had been made by Jarmond during the season. I heard about it in early November. He needed Leahy to bless it (which takes time). If he wanted to keep Dazz, Leahy would have supported it.

The purpose of the non-extension/extension the year before was that Jarmond wanted to move on from Dazz and Leahy said no.

Leahy is final word not the BOT. Also, as an FYI there is no former player or player(s) that has/have the stroke or donates enough money and gives that much of a shit to actually force the BOT's hand. This is the school that alienated the person that endowed the salary of the football coach without blinking.

Perhaps some coverage was thrown out to the team that there was football alumni unrest with Dazz that made Jarmond's job raising money more difficult but Jarmond was very much in favor of firing Dazz. In fact an argument could be made he knew he needed a major hire to get a new job so he had to fire Dazz to prove he can make a big time hire. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 938

Re: Marty

Postby innocentbystander on Tue May 19, 2020 10:44 pm

TontoKowalski wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:The other guy was already waiting in the last stall when I arrived in fifth Floor O'Neill, and with an oboe lesson looming in just twenty minutes, I knew we only had a limited window for heavy petting. I meant to get a look at his face but as soon as he dropped his trousers, my senses were overwhelmed with the miasmic stench of muenster cheese - like one of those cellars where the cheese breathes for weeks. I sank to my knees and gagged; a second later, I felt something bumping against my forehead. It felt like an ancient saddlebag sewn together from discarded pleather car seats, woven into a pool table net, and swinging around the bottom was the eight ball and the cue ball. Game over, eepstein, I thought to myself, breathe through your mouth, get through this, and then crush that oboe lesson: one foot in front of the other will surely bring you to the promised land of platinum status.

And Baltimore sucks


Seriously, why do you have to pile on Baltimore?


Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17284
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -164

Re: Marty

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am

TontoKowalski wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I’d take a day drinking my way from Federal Hill through Inner Harbor through Little Italy and Fells Point and ending in Canton over both places. Sure, there is a good chance of dying 12 hours into a jag that ends in Canton or at the very least ending up drinking bootleg vodka in the basement of the Polish Home Club or worse, being shanghaied into going to Dundalk to drink in some horrible Billytown bar where the bar doesn’t close for the night until there is a stabbing, but there is something noble in the endeavor and more authentic than LA or the new and improved Boston.


This is beautiful - and you even mentioned Dundock, home of The Shit Plant, where sometimes the olive oil factory springs a leak and and oil floods the streets, where a rainfall that doesn't submerge the pilings in Fells still somehow puts half of the shittiest peninsula in the world underwater. That Polish club is a fantastic place, there's also Dnipro (Ukrainian) on O'Donnell St, just if you want to hit all the shitty eastern European cultural dumps in a night. If you do it Halloween week, you can hit the Lithuanian Hall and take in The Night of 100 Elvises.

While you're at it, ponder the great tragedy of this life that that blossom-nosed homunculus Wayne (Mahaffey's) outlived the decent and upstanding Scunny (Mamas on the Half Shell). RIP Scunny, you were an outstanding human being.

I'll tell you what, if you make it on this odyssey around the corner to Little Italy (Germano's is my favorite place there - don't ever trust an Italian place that charges more than $14 for a puttanesca and half the places there do for some damn reason) and into Fells, you'll make it to Canton provided you don't do something like stagger past Captain James down Aliceanna, get propped, and pick a fight with a pimp. With Chubbys closed, this is the only risk I can think of these days.

I have a police blotter somewhere describing a stabbing in Dundock, at a bar, executed by (and I quote that shining beacon of journalism, The Sun) 'a local woman known only as Peaches'. She had been coming to the bar every day for years and no one knew her real name - just Peaches. One of my first Dundock experiences was watching a morbidly obese woman wearing spandex and a denim jacket with a Loony Tunes iron-on push a stroller full of beer out of a liquor store while her kid trailed behind her, in the middle of a weekday. A friend of mine is an artist, actually from Dundock, and a few years ago he circulated among friends a comic book called 'Dundalk Fairy Tales'; I don't remember all of them, because 'Rapunzel, Rapunzel, lit dahn yer weave' had me helpless with tears of laughter.

Dick, I may have to perform this unholy march and report back to you with the results. Once things normalize.


I have made this journey once and it was beautiful. When I was in law school at the FLS diploma mill I was befriended by a classmate that I called Lord Baltimore. He was an exceedingly nice guy who became positively murderous if he was blind drunk and then provoked. Three weeks into our mutual law school careers he smashed the grandson of a former Governor of New York in the side of a head/face with a metal napkin dispenser in an Upper West Side pizza place because the Governor's grandson--who was both a Regis and Georgetown grad (read into that what you will)--talked shit about Lord Baltimore's alma mater, Mount Saint Mary's. I believe that Lord Baltimore was not expelled because said Governor's grandkid was a first rate dick and may have thrown a first feeble punch--he would quit law school a couple of weeks later.

Lord Baltimore had been a rarity in Baltimore, a white kid hoops star at Mount St. Joe's who originally went to a midwestern basketball power. He hated pretty much everything about the school and the Midwest in general and ended up transferring to Mount Saint Mary's to play for the legendary Jim Phelan and the Mounties who had just gone D1. He ended up in the Midwest because someone had given money to his Dad, a Canton bucket head who drove a truck and collected gambling debts for the Corbi Family.

Now interestingly enough, I have another friend from Charm City who is also commonly referred to as Lord Baltimore. As luck would have it the 2nd Lord Baltimore attended a fine Jesuit institution with a cousin of mine and parlayed his family's very successful business (I won't mention the name so as to avoid rocketcarring him) into a porn empire that he runs out of mansion on what used to be an old money horse farm in the area northeast of Caves Valley and southwest of Cockeysville--I think its called Worthington. He casts Baltimore area strippers interspersed with coeds from Towson, UMBC and the occasional girl from Loyola along with a couple of "name stars". He apparently makes a lot of money in this venture and is using some of his profits to set up a state of the art pot farm out past Hagerstown that will open when Maryland gets around to legalizing marijuana for recreational use. He also has a picture of himself with a very dead Johnny Unitas--he apparently was dating the girl whose family owned the funeral home where Johnny was prepared for his funeral and he went in when they were setting him up for the wake (Unitas was in a suit, sitting in chair in preparation of being placed in his casket and Lord Baltimore the 2nd is in a suit sitting next to him with an insane grin on his face--which in fairness is his default expression.

Now, getting back to the 1st Lord Baltimore, after he graduated from the diploma mill, he returned to Baltimore and started out as an associate at Venable before parlaying that job into a non-legal gig at Legg Mason, where he remains today. In any case, he did well for himself and purchased a couple of very nice adjoining brownstone-style row houses on Federal Hill and connected them and fashioned them into something of a party house in the early 2000s. He also obtained some very sweet Ravens' season tickets and some of us would occasionally jump on the Metroliner (I lived in Manhattan in those days) and head down to Baltimore for a game.

Now, in one instance, I ended up heading down on a Friday night because Lord Baltimore was having a house party of some sort. It was an excellent party, but as the Ravens' game was not until Sunday, it left me with a Saturday to spend in Charm City. The day started in ordinary enough fashion with some lunch and a few drinks at Mother's, which has become a cliche at this point, but back then was as good a place to start as any in Federal Hill. We wended our way through a couple of other places on Federal Hill--there was a very good whiskey bar that has since closed--before finding ourselves in the Inner Harbor. We were tossed out of the Rusty Scupper for a relatively minor transgression--there was no violence, but perhaps a bit of profanity--before we staggered over to Little Italy where we ate dinner at some mobbed up mom and pop where the owner was an associate with Lord Baltimore's father. The food was excellent and cheap and fortified us as we entered Fells Point. We hit The Horse and began on the road to ruin. It only took about ten minutes for us to get kicked out of Max's and after Lord Baltimore violently assaulted a pirate statue and a bouncer in front of the Admiral's Cup or some fucking place like it we found ourselves exiled from the Point and returned to Lord Baltimore's neighborhood of Canton. We started off in some place that looked like it came out of a scene in Eastern Promises--except it was Poles, Lithuanians and Ukranians instead of Russians. There was another bar that shared space with a Polish Butcher Shop where we ran into Lord Baltimore's Dad who eyed me suspiciously and remarked that "Irish and Italian kids from Fordham always work for the FBI", but he eventually must have been assuaged and it was then that I was invited to join him and Lord Baltimore at the Polish Home Club. At the PHC we were joined by one of Lord Baltimore's father's associates--a younger specimen of bucket head mob muscle who would soon be out of work (the Corbi's were taken down as collateral damage by a Gambino family rat). He invited Lord Baltimore and I to join him at a bar in Dundalk that was open despite it being well past closing time. Lord Baltimore's father did not approve and Lord Baltimore was sentient enough to recognize that it was folly and when we left the PHC instead of getting into the cab for Dundalk, he threw up on the sidewalk, tossed me the keys to the Federal Hill house and stumbled off to his parents nearby apartment.

Some things are better left forgotten, so I will not comment on what I witnessed and experienced in Dundalk other than to say that the girl who drove me back to Lord Baltimore's place in Federal Hill shortly after sunrise was younger than 25, worked as a stripper and had at least two kids at that point judging from the child seats in the back of the car. Fortunately, she passed out in the driver's seat of her car within one minute of arriving in front of Lord Baltimore's home. I abandoned her, went into the house and went to sleep. Lord Baltimore arrived home at Noon and when we went out to pregame shortly thereafter in the lead up to the 4 pm kickoff, the young stripper Mom was still passed out in her car. When we got home after the game so I could pick up my stuff before heading g to the train station, she was gone, but there was a copious amount of vomit on the street right where her driver's side door would have opened.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 599

Re: Marty

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 pm

claver2010 wrote:you probably just gave naghockeyruption their most clicks since tubasteak wrote an algorithm to rig a nag hockey poll


This is a good post and you should feel good about it.
"I have history, and I understand history, so I know where we’ve been and where we are, and where we are trying to go, okay? But it’s been somewhere between 6.5 and 6.6 wins a year since 1980, which is 38 years. We’re at 7..."
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14977
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2910

Re: Marty

Postby b0mberMan on Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Am just catching up on things here but I will say that part of what makes a city interesting and fun to go out drinking and exploring in is when it's run down enough so that people can afford to be weird in it. You get things like the basement clubs Dick is describing or the bar in Buffalo that has live music 24 hours a day or the illegal karaoke bar I went to in a VFW in.... Cleveland? I think?

You can't afford to be weird in Boston anymore unless you got a trust fund and in that case all you seem to want to do with it is go the Seaport and spend money at stupid clubs.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9552
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2671

Re: Marty

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

b0mberMan wrote:Am just catching up on things here but I will say that part of what makes a city interesting and fun to go out drinking and exploring in is when it's run down enough so that people can afford to be weird in it. You get things like the basement clubs Dick is describing or the bar in Buffalo that has live music 24 hours a day or the illegal karaoke bar I went to in a VFW in.... Cleveland? I think?

You can't afford to be weird in Boston anymore unless you got a trust fund and in that case all you seem to want to do with it is go the Seaport and spend money at stupid clubs.


Spoken like a man that has spent some time on Lark Street.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31382
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: Marty

Postby BCdee on Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm

The best thing MJ did while at BC was FINALLY firing Addazio and hiring Jeff Hafley from Ohio State. I thanked him in person for that.

He hired a great Women's Basketball Coach, too.

But his failure to fire JC and actually give him an extension is just inexcusable.

Too many workout videos, surprise guest appearances at tailgates and the Clothing Line were too much - while he let Daz and JC run two of our biggest programs into the ground.

So, all in all...moving on...Godspeed, MJ.

Jeff Hafley and his team are phenomenal right now...the future looks BRIGHT!! Just need to hire someone to take care of Hoops.
BC!
User avatar
BCdee
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4005
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:07 am
Location: SC
Karma: 986

Re: Marty

Postby hansen on Mon May 25, 2020 8:11 pm

BCdee wrote:The best thing MJ did while at BC was FINALLY firing Addazio and hiring Jeff Hafley from Ohio State. I thanked him in person for that.

He hired a great Women's Basketball Coach, too.

But his failure to fire JC and actually give him an extension is just inexcusable.

Too many workout videos, surprise guest appearances at tailgates and the Clothing Line were too much - while he let Daz and JC run two of our biggest programs into the ground.

So, all in all...moving on...Godspeed, MJ.

Jeff Hafley and his team are phenomenal right now...the future looks BRIGHT!! Just need to hire someone to take care of Hoops.


Good to see sweet dee posting here again. I missed youuuuuuuuuuuuuu (nothing sexual of course, I wouldn't want Clemson hubby to kick my ass lol!!)
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 321

Re: Marty

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm

hansen wrote:
BCdee wrote:The best thing MJ did while at BC was FINALLY firing Addazio and hiring Jeff Hafley from Ohio State. I thanked him in person for that.

He hired a great Women's Basketball Coach, too.

But his failure to fire JC and actually give him an extension is just inexcusable.

Too many workout videos, surprise guest appearances at tailgates and the Clothing Line were too much - while he let Daz and JC run two of our biggest programs into the ground.

So, all in all...moving on...Godspeed, MJ.

Jeff Hafley and his team are phenomenal right now...the future looks BRIGHT!! Just need to hire someone to take care of Hoops.


Good to see sweet dee posting here again. I missed youuuuuuuuuuuuuu (nothing sexual of course, I wouldn't want Clemson hubby to kick my ass lol!!)


Have you ever met a Clemson grad that didn't play football or wasnt' a woman? You're safe.

Image
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31382
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: Marty

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 am

Board Judge Verdict: Harsh, but largely true.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 599

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buconvict, HJS, joetim99 and 30 guests

Untitled document