BC purchases Pine Manor College

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby hansen on Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Pine Manor, we hardly knew ye.

Pending approval by accreditors and appropriate state agencies, Boston College will assume responsibility for Pine Manor College along with its assets and liabilities. Pine Manor College students will be able to remain at their school in a “teach out” agreement for a period of up to two years. Students currently deposited or enrolled at Pine Manor College will be able to continue their Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts degree programs in classes taught by Pine Manor College faculty on the Pine Manor College campus. Boston College will subsidize Pine Manor College’s cost of operations to support the “teach out.” Pine Manor College students who gain admission to Boston College’s Woods College of Advancing Studies can finish their Bachelor of Arts degree at Boston College. All Pine Manor College students will continue to receive the financial aid necessary to meet their cost of attendance.


https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ement.html
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 321

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BC923 on Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Great real estate
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 430

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 13, 2020 5:55 pm

It is nice to have more local land. Route 9 makes the buses a bit tricky. Maybe they use short buses for the Pine Manor loop. The two year commitment is interesting. Makes me wonder if they can do whatever they want after.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3567
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 611

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby innocentbystander on Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 pm

hansen wrote:Pine Manor, we hardly knew ye.

Pending approval by accreditors and appropriate state agencies, Boston College will assume responsibility for Pine Manor College along with its assets and liabilities. Pine Manor College students will be able to remain at their school in a “teach out” agreement for a period of up to two years. Students currently deposited or enrolled at Pine Manor College will be able to continue their Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts degree programs in classes taught by Pine Manor College faculty on the Pine Manor College campus. Boston College will subsidize Pine Manor College’s cost of operations to support the “teach out.” Pine Manor College students who gain admission to Boston College’s Woods College of Advancing Studies can finish their Bachelor of Arts degree at Boston College. All Pine Manor College students will continue to receive the financial aid necessary to meet their cost of attendance.


https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ement.html


Good on BC, nicely done.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17284
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -164

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 pm

And GDF didn't even schedule these guys as an early season beat-down.
In.
User avatar
JesuitIvy
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm
Karma: 239

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 13, 2020 6:45 pm

ATLeagle wrote:It is nice to have more local land. Route 9 makes the buses a bit tricky. Maybe they use short buses for the Pine Manor loop. The two year commitment is interesting. Makes me wonder if they can do whatever they want after.


They should only have to cross Route 9 on Hammond Street or Hammond Pond Parkway. Don't think that's a big deal.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31382
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby mod6A on Wed May 13, 2020 7:14 pm

6 posts in and not one pine mattress mention yet. ?




:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
User avatar
mod6A
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 am
Karma: 426

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 pm

It's 45 acres. According to a quick google search, 1 parking spot is 180 sq ft which equates to 242 parking spots per acre. That's 10,890 parking spots!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 148

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BC923 on Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:It is nice to have more local land. Route 9 makes the buses a bit tricky. Maybe they use short buses for the Pine Manor loop. The two year commitment is interesting. Makes me wonder if they can do whatever they want after.


They should only have to cross Route 9 on Hammond Street or Hammond Pond Parkway. Don't think that's a big deal.

Pine Manor had a bus that dropped off at Reservoir, so I don’t see the issue
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 430

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby HJS on Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14662
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 285

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby hansen on Wed May 13, 2020 8:26 pm

HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 321

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 pm

hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.


Define "win"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31382
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby hansen on Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.


Define "win"


I assume there’s no way BC can prevent them from taking the land? So I guess win would be to get paid more than they offered. Good question, I don’t really know. What is a win in this case?
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 321

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby HJS on Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.


Define "win"

Newton will be ale to get the property. They won't be able to get it at the fictitious price tag. I'd guess it'll be 50 to 100% higher. If BC gets a favorable valuation, I think it is possible (though I don't know the specifics) that Newton gives up the fight and relinquishes the land back to BC (possibly will have a new administration at that point).
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14662
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 285

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 pm

HJS wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.


Define "win"

Newton will be ale to get the property. They won't be able to get it at the fictitious price tag. I'd guess it'll be 50 to 100% higher. If BC gets a favorable valuation, I think it is possible (though I don't know the specifics) that Newton gives up the fight and relinquishes the land back to BC (possibly will have a new administration at that point).


I know. I was just asking hansen what he would consider a win. Either of your outcomes is a win for BC.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31382
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed May 13, 2020 10:49 pm

HJS wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:Pine Manor's proximity to the Hammond Pond campus will also be nice continuity should the Newton Mayor lose her personal battle for a bigger backyard.


Yeah, if you cut through the woods around the pond, then it’s really close to upper.

What’s the chance BC wins that case? I thought the chances were low despite it being complete and utter bullshit what the town are doing.


Define "win"

Newton will be ale to get the property. They won't be able to get it at the fictitious price tag. I'd guess it'll be 50 to 100% higher. If BC gets a favorable valuation, I think it is possible (though I don't know the specifics) that Newton gives up the fight and relinquishes the land back to BC (possibly will have a new administration at that point).


Given what's happening to local economies, I think it will be very interesting to see if Newton residents pony up in support of the final price tag.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 66

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed May 13, 2020 11:08 pm

MilitantEagle wrote:It's 45 acres. According to a quick google search, 1 parking spot is 180 sq ft which equates to 242 parking spots per acre. That's 10,890 parking spots!


So no Engineering School/Medical School to hopefully sway potential football recruits? Damn.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -204

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 14, 2020 12:32 am

But where are guys gonna go to get laid when circumstances require that their intended paramours have lower standards then horny BC Nursing School students? What else is reachable on foot? I will mourn the passing of Pine Manor—a place with standards so “flexible” that the girls pined for Duchie, even on those occasions when he was covered in his own vomit and his breath smelled vaguely of fat girl vagina and Crazy Horse Malt Liquor—or Tuesday, as it was also called. I, for one, will fondly remember the vapid, empty-headed gazes of most of the girls (interspersed by looks of barely concealed horror on the faces of the distinct minority of students who were there due to some horrible mistake in high school and were desperately/feverishly working to transfer out as soon as practicable.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 599

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon May 18, 2020 11:22 am

In what will be a completely predictable and unimaginative move, much like the next AD hire, BC will use Pine Manor for additional dorms to finally get students off-campus so they don't need to deal with the Brighton neighbors anymore. This will inevitably draw the ire of Chestnut Hill and Newton neighbors as BC buses will clog Hammond Street and Boylston.

If they convert the Pine Manor gym into a basketball-only practice facility, I will be incredibly impressed.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"
User avatar
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:49 am
Karma: 517

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BC923 on Mon May 18, 2020 11:28 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:But where are guys gonna go to get laid when circumstances require that their intended paramours have lower standards then horny BC Nursing School students? What else is reachable on foot? I will mourn the passing of Pine Manor—a place with standards so “flexible” that the girls pined for Duchie, even on those occasions when he was covered in his own vomit and his breath smelled vaguely of fat girl vagina and Crazy Horse Malt Liquor—or Tuesday, as it was also called. I, for one, will fondly remember the vapid, empty-headed gazes of most of the girls (interspersed by looks of barely concealed horror on the faces of the distinct minority of students who were there due to some horrible mistake in high school and were desperately/feverishly working to transfer out as soon as practicable.

The waning days of Pine Manor it moved even further from its roots as a finishing school for the least desirable Dana Call girls. Probably even further than what you mention. For what you’re talking about, there is still Simmons
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 430

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Crazy idea.....

Will the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success become a BC-owned junior college?

The idea being that upping the diversity of the incoming freshman class would lower the average SATs and GPAs, a tradeoff they don't want to make. But of course they want to get their diversity numbers up.

Instead, they admit promising students to the Institute for Student Success. This group will be disproportionately diverse. They go to PMI for two years get their associates, then they transfer into BC as juniors.

BC wins on diversity because now the BC student body becomes more diverse.

But they don't sacrifice on the rankings because the SATs and GPAs for the incoming studetnts still remain high. No one pays attention to the high school SAT and GPA of *graduating* students just entering (as freshman).

PMI would be a completely different school.

The Pine Manor athletics facilities become BC athletic facilities including a brand new basketball training facility

More dorms are built for both BC and PMI students.
User avatar
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm
Location: Marblehood, Marblehood...always up to no good
Karma: 191

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm

sorta like in "Rudy" when he went to St WhateverTheFuck at first, then got into Notre Dame later.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -204

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon May 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I thought Volleyball was being moved to PMI? BC could renovate and expand the Power Gym into a first class practice facility. There is lots of room on the north side of Conte to expand.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -340

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 am

MF73-Eleazar wrote:sorta like in "Rudy" when he went to St WhateverTheFuck at first, then got into Notre Dame later.


And then committed securities fraud after that.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"
User avatar
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:49 am
Karma: 517

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am

*gasp*

that wasn't in the movie!!! :duchE
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -204

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby innocentbystander on Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 am

BC923 wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:But where are guys gonna go to get laid when circumstances require that their intended paramours have lower standards then horny BC Nursing School students? What else is reachable on foot? I will mourn the passing of Pine Manor—a place with standards so “flexible” that the girls pined for Duchie, even on those occasions when he was covered in his own vomit and his breath smelled vaguely of fat girl vagina and Crazy Horse Malt Liquor—or Tuesday, as it was also called. I, for one, will fondly remember the vapid, empty-headed gazes of most of the girls (interspersed by looks of barely concealed horror on the faces of the distinct minority of students who were there due to some horrible mistake in high school and were desperately/feverishly working to transfer out as soon as practicable.

The waning days of Pine Manor it moved even further from its roots as a finishing school for the least desirable Dana Call girls. Probably even further than what you mention. For what you’re talking about, there is still Simmons


Ex-fiancée #1 did all of one semester at Pine Manor after she got her associates degree from community college. The only reason why she went to Pine Manor was because she wanted to finally live on a campus to take classes that she didn't have to pay for, her being so destitute meant financial aid covered everything. She didn't actually learn anything there but she partied. But she pretty much echoed what Dick and 923 are saying about the school. It starts out as a Victorian "finishing school" for proper, dowry possessing, Boston Brahmin, WASP daughters, patiently waiting for suitors to come calling to court them like out of Pride and Prejudice and a century later morphed into a school for stupid girls (starting first for rich stupid girls but later into broke stupid girls.) And now, its gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_and_historical_women%27s_universities_and_colleges_in_the_United_States#Massachusetts

If you look at that list, its pretty sad. Basically it is a list of colleges that have pretty much all closed, went "Co-Ed", or were bought/merged-into a major university. I guess if you serve no functional purpose beyond being a more expensive community college with dorms, you probably should close?
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17284
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -164

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed May 20, 2020 7:15 am

Which school will BC take over in 2040....Regis or Emmanuel? Or Both?
User avatar
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm
Location: Marblehood, Marblehood...always up to no good
Karma: 191

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 20, 2020 9:35 am

DrJackRyan wrote:Which school will BC take over in 2040....Regis or Emmanuel? Or Both?

Holy Cross is next.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3567
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 611

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby Logitano on Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am

ATLeagle wrote:
DrJackRyan wrote:Which school will BC take over in 2040....Regis or Emmanuel? Or Both?

Holy Cross is next.


:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 938

Re: BC purchases Pine Manor College

Postby AdamBC on Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 pm

DrJackRyan wrote:Which school will BC take over in 2040....Regis or Emmanuel? Or Both?


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Boston_area_college_town_map.png

Surprised BC didn't buy Newbury when they announced their shutdown. Instead the campus was bought by a senior living company.
User avatar
AdamBC
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 pm
Karma: 385


Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DomingoOrtiz, StratEagle and 40 guests

Untitled document