Throwback Thursday #2: 2005 BC vs. Wake

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Throwback Thursday #2: 2005 BC-Wake

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:38 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Daz’s secondary with TOBy’s front 7 would have been insane.

The idea that John Johnson, Will Harris, Isaac Yiadom and Justin Simmons were all starting in the NFL last season, and the best cover guy, Kamrin Moore didn't have a job because of off the field problems, is astounding for a program that basically had Tony Thurman (who didn't sniff the pros) Will Blackmon (who TOB moved to WR) and dogshit for years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm

There was a mediocre BC CB that kicked around with the Bears a few years, Albert Louis-Jean?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Watching this game was like reliving a tour in Vietnam or something. I think I am suffering from PTSD from watching Handsome & Tough play QB like a kid who should have ended up at Bates or Bowdoin or Colby. My God he was terrible—maybe not as bad as what we trotted out the last couple of years under the Dazzler, but I think the fact that you know Ryan is sitting on the bench makes it worse.

Tom O’Brien kept Matt Ryan plastered to the bench in favor of Quentin Porter and ran Russell Wilson off in favor of Mike Glennon. Jesus Christ, my eye is starting to twitch.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, Akins was not a CB by the time he went to the combine. He was a third down blitzing OLB. He played CB/S early on, very poorly. Jags et al moved him to LB. The corner opposite Tribble on the 2007 team was not good either, but it wasn't Akins. Nevemind, Taji Morris and DeLeon Gause as a true frosh.

Donnie Fletcher? or was that 2008?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:19 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, Akins was not a CB by the time he went to the combine. He was a third down blitzing OLB. He played CB/S early on, very poorly. Jags et al moved him to LB. The corner opposite Tribble on the 2007 team was not good either, but it wasn't Akins. Nevemind, Taji Morris and DeLeon Gause as a true frosh.

Donnie Fletcher? or was that 2008?

Later. I think it was a kid from Texas?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There was a mediocre BC CB that kicked around with the Bears a few years, Albert Louis-Jean?

Will Poole might have been the most talented DB recruited during the TOB years, but he obviously didn't pan out and ended his career with USC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:10 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Watching this game was like reliving a tour in Vietnam or something. I think I am suffering from PTSD from watching Handsome & Tough play QB like a kid who should have ended up at Bates or Bowdoin or Colby. My God he was terrible—maybe not as bad as what we trotted out the last couple of years under the Dazzler, but I think the fact that you know Ryan is sitting on the bench makes it worse.

Tom O’Brien kept Matt Ryan plastered to the bench in favor of Quentin Porter and ran Russell Wilson off in favor of Mike Glennon. Jesus Christ, my eye is starting to twitch.

Ryan was 7-9 for 130+ yards and 2 TDS in less than five minutes. And one of the incompletions was a ball he threw into the 3rd row.

And correct me if I’m wrong: I believe he was back on the bench the next week. TOB at his finest.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Watching this game was like reliving a tour in Vietnam or something. I think I am suffering from PTSD from watching Handsome & Tough play QB like a kid who should have ended up at Bates or Bowdoin or Colby. My God he was terrible—maybe not as bad as what we trotted out the last couple of years under the Dazzler, but I think the fact that you know Ryan is sitting on the bench makes it worse.

Ryan was 7-9 for 130+ yards and 2 TDS in less than five minutes. And one of the incompletions was a ball he threw into the 3rd row.

And correct me if I’m wrong: I believe he was back on the bench the next week. TOB at his finest.

TOB started QP the next two games: VT and UNC. BC lost both games. UNC was mediocre and Tranquill was their OC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There was a mediocre BC CB that kicked around with the Bears a few years, Albert Louis-Jean?

Will Poole might have been the most talented DB recruited during the TOB years, but he obviously didn't pan out and ended his career with USC.

This is a good call. Forgot about him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: Throwback Thursday #2: 2005 BC vs. Wake

Postby MaxxPower325 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Decided to try the BC/Clemson game from the same year & a couple of things stand out...

1) We actually ran an ENTIRE 2nd string O-line for the first drive of the 2nd quarter and still moved the ball at will.
2) The D-line was also full of NFL talent and was solidly 2-deep. Raji was a Soph starter and Brace wasn’t even on the field. How is it we now have barely 1-AA talent???
3) Doc Walker was very entertaining, but the play by play guy calling Blackmon Solomon all day was the gift that keeps on giving.

Bonus: we had really excellent college LBs during this entire run as well. TOB really, really screwed the pooch by not winning more with the talent he had.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Also never seen a coach punt inside the 35 more than TOB
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:18 pm

In Logan's offense, Callendar got a shit load of catches. I think he held the school record for receptions in a season.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Decided to try the BC/Clemson game from the same year & a couple of things stand out...

1) We actually ran an ENTIRE 2nd string O-line for the first drive of the 2nd quarter and still moved the ball at will.
2) The D-line was also full of NFL talent and was solidly 2-deep. Raji was a Soph starter and Brace wasn’t even on the field. How is it we now have barely 1-AA talent???

Because unlike Addazio, :toby could recruit.

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}: Doc Walker was very entertaining, but the play by play guy calling Blackmon Solomon all day was the gift that keeps on giving.

Bonus: we had really excellent college LBs during this entire run as well. TOB really, really screwed the pooch by not winning more with the talent he had.

TOB brought in that talent.

We hated :toby because he was so negative with the press about BC. "We are what we are." "8 or 9 wins is the best anyone can do at BC." You hear that over and over and it drives you crazy, the incredible disrespect he pays your alma mater and his own employer. But when you really listened to him in the press conferences (and he gave a lot of them) what drove us all batshit was the constant whining and complaining about how he had to travel all over the country to find players that he felt were good enough to play for BC. He never stopped complaining. Basically, what he was saying (and he was right) was that Massachusetts/New England high school football players just sucked. That he had to go above and beyond every other head coach in the country because there was no one that lived close enough to BC that was good enough to play at BC.

But you know what? He got the job done. He recruited his fucking ass off. He did better (in that one category) than probably any head coach in BC football history. And maybe that's not saying that much, but "we are what we are."

That said, everyone on the board wanted to FIRE HIM for the annual WTF loss. Those were inexcusable. With :toby, there was a guaranteed LOSS every single season to a team that BC was far and away mathematically better than in pretty much every on field category. That LOSS would invariably take BC out of mentioning nationally and would pretty much disqualify BC for ever having any real shot at winning the Big East/ACC.

Its been more than a decade since any of us could count on the annual WTF loss. That because these players suck (and have sucked for quite some time.) Addazio couldn't sell. Spaz couldn't sell. Jags? Well two years just doesn't give anyone enough of a window to measure their sales capabilities. But toby could sell. He could sell BC and he brought in the 4-star players (even brought in a 5-star once.) No matter how good AJ was or Andre Williams or any of them, as far as I'm concerned they were a distant second or third place behind William Green.

Lets hope Jeff Hafley can sell. If he can't, after two or three years we are all going to want him out of here. I miss the days when it drove me CRAZY when the team was so talented that we could actually have a WTF loss (and have the season ruined as a result.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium