Transfer portal?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Transfer portal?

Postby Los on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:57 pm

I want the team to be good, not to maintain the current state of mediocrity. If it takes a couple years to turn it around then best get started now. This is not like Jags taking over a senior-laden team with Matt Ryan at QB.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Would be nice to see what Sam Johnson can do. Grossel doesn't instill any confidence after watching the entire Pitt and Syracuse games on YT, kinda cringey watching his throws, like Fadule.

Sam Johnson had the most physical talent in the Spring Game, but every pass was thrown at about 100 mph and were uncatchable.

I think it's this part that I hazily recall from '19 Spring Practice in-game/post-game comments. If Cignetti can get through to him, we could be in business. Let's hope that that Johnson isn't fragile so we won't have to see Grossel unless he's the holder for FGAs/PATs.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:15 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Would be nice to see what Sam Johnson can do. Grossel doesn't instill any confidence after watching the entire Pitt and Syracuse games on YT, kinda cringey watching his throws, like Fadule.

Sam Johnson had the most physical talent in the Spring Game, but every pass was thrown at about 100 mph and were uncatchable.

I think it's this part that I hazily recall from '19 Spring Practice in-game/post-game comments. If Cignetti can get through to him, we could be in business. Let's hope that that Johnson isn't fragile so we won't have to see Grossel unless he's the holder for FGAs/PATs.

If this is remotely true, then Sam Johnson should be the starter. Give me a QB whose “problem” is that he throws too hard over a touch QB any day. If Jurk can’t go, I think Cig will have an open competition and pick who he thinks is the best (and not be held to the previous staff’s affinity for “toughness”).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Don't we usually hear about all incoming transfers by mid-June? Thought we would have had more, esp at DLine, we have spots available.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Johnson was all over the place in that Spring Game. Really good arm, but my recollection was that Valecce looked most like a QB in that game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

With a good QB coach (see not anyone involved in the last coaching staff) there is something there.

So apparently everyone involved in coaching our previous players was incompetent, but Johnson is somehow salvageable in a way Grosel is not, despite the fact Grosel was ahead of Johnson on the depth chart. Interesting.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

With a good QB coach (see not anyone involved in the last coaching staff) there is something there.

So apparently everyone involved in coaching our previous players was incompetent, but Johnson is somehow salvageable in a way Grosel is not, despite the fact Grosel was ahead of Johnson on the depth chart. Interesting.

Also true. One has talent but hasn't been coached. The other isn't good but was less risk throwing 8 times a game to the open spaces where no one ran routes. Not a difficult concept even for Gratuitous Contrarianism.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Well, hope during the summer, one of Valecce or Johnson can win the starting gig and push each other to be better and force Grossel to be 3rd string at best. Cignetti has a semi-tough task ahead of him, hope he's up for it.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:22 pm

I’ve always been confused why Valece hasn’t gotten more of a chance. Looked more promising, i thought, than Grosel or Johnson in the very limited sample size. I’d much rather roll the dice with him than watch a relatively known quantity in Grosel again.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:24 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:I’ve always been confused why Valece hasn’t gotten more of a chance. Looked more promising, i thought, than Grosel or Johnson in the very limited sample size. I’d much rather roll the dice with him than watch a relatively known quantity in Grosel again.

Concur. He also seemed to lead well and was helping Johnson on the sidelines.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 am

I don’t believe Jurk’s waiver denial is a sure thing. There is an appeal process.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:26 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:I don’t believe Jurk’s waiver denial is a sure thing. There is an appeal process.

correct. baum tweeted 'there's been no final decision on jurk's eligibility'. which leads to believe there was a decision but e will be appealing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Also true. One has talent but hasn't been coached. The other isn't good but was less risk throwing 8 times a game to the open spaces where no one ran routes. Not a difficult concept even for Gratuitous Contrarianism.

We rarely agree, but it's the above. I could've drawn the entire BC route tree on the back of a napkin.

I also assume we're going to play actual WRs this year and not RBs/TEs at WR
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We rarely agree, but it's the above. I could've drawn the entire BC route tree on the back of a napkin.

I also assume we're going to play actual WRs this year and not RBs/TEs at WR

So when Grosel is still ahead of Johnson on the depth chart this year, is it going to be because Hafley is also a terrible coach, or are you going to come up with some other justification? Because we all know it's impossible that Grosel could be better at football.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:53 am

If Grosel is ahead of anyone else on the roster it means the QB room is really bad and we were wrong about the other guys. I still think he played because he was least likely to make mistakes in an offense with 8 throws a game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 pm

I think Hafley's assumption is that he is going to have Jurk. The NCAA has folded like a cheap suit on every waiver appeal that has come down the pipe over the last year or so. It would be the height of folly for the NCAA to deny a waiver to a kid who was an honor student at Notre Dame from transferring to another excellent educational institution that, like Notre Dame, actually graduates its players with meaningful degrees.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:56 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Former 4 star, now walk-on Penn State safety CJ Holmes from Cheshire in the portal. Looks like we have a shot.

https://twitter.com/Bryce_Sebastian/status/1270408485935734784

bc is not pursuing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:29 am

does he have a history of injuries? cuz that would be the obvious explaination for not pursuing him.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:48 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:does he have a history of injuries? cuz that would be the obvious explaination for not pursuing him.

Dismissed from ND for shoplifting. Walked-on at Ped State. Did not contribute at either school. I think there would need an explanation as to why we would want to pursue him. A basement dweller pocket pooling the fluidity of this kid’s hips doesn’t equate to football ability. He’s just yet another New England 4-star recruit who left the region to suck elsewhere. Maybe Harbaugh should give him a look.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:does he have a history of injuries? cuz that would be the obvious explaination for not pursuing him.

Dismissed from ND for shoplifting. Walked-on at Ped State. Did not contribute at either school. I think there would need an explanation as to why we would want to pursue him. A basement dweller pocket pooling the fluidity of this kid’s hips doesn’t equate to football ability. He’s just yet another New England 4-star recruit who left the region to suck elsewhere. Maybe Harbaugh should give him a look.

i suspect csu might be a landing spot.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:56 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

i suspect csu might be a landing spot.

The word from ND is that he had a poor attitude, poor work ethic and was a bad influence in the locker room. It did not come as a surprise when he got nailed for shoplifting alongside his fellow locker room cancer, Kevin Stepherson. As Stepherson was far more talented then Holmes and ultimately landed at Jacksonville State (because there wasn't a single D1 school who thought he was worth the trouble), my guess is Holmes ends up at a similar 1AA-type school (or possibly UCONN, which is basically a 1AA school at this point and needs all the help it can get).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Ah. That explains it. Fair enough.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Grosel wasn't inept. BC put up 58 points against Cuse and blew out NCSU as well. Our OC (Bajakian) got a job at Northwestern pretty quickly based on the fact that the offense was fairly efficient. The bigger problem with the 2019 BC team was the defense.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Grosel is ahead of anyone else on the roster it means the QB room is really bad and we were wrong about the other guys. I still think he played because he was least likely to make mistakes in an offense with 8 throws a game.

There is too much (relative to BC) among the WRs to have a weak pass game: akin to GT running the triple option with Megatron.

Also, probably me but I completely forgot that Grosel went St. Ignatius. For some reason I was certain he was an ISL guy. Finally, I love everything he does, but he is not a D1 passer. We have multiple ACC receivers/TEs for the first time in how long??? Can’t waste that this year....
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Grosel wasn't inept. BC put up 58 points against Cuse and blew out NCSU as well. Our OC (Bajakian) got a job at Northwestern pretty quickly based on the fact that the offense was fairly efficient. The bigger problem with the 2019 BC team was the defense.

I’ll caveat this with it’s not his fault, but he’s completely inept. Against NCST he went 6 of 15 for like 50 yards. We would’ve won both games with TWB at QB. Please recruit and develop a real QB. I’m incredibly sick and tired of Fadule, Flutie, Grosel, etc. back there.

You are correct that the defense was the bigger problem. That Kansas game was a scarring experience.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:20 pm

The defense was awful, but Grosel played no part in any point tally. In the games where he passed for decent yards guys were completely uncovered because no one thought they would throw 8 times.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:22 pm

LOL, in that Cuse game he was 8-10 for 195 yards. BC rushed for 500 yards, only 25 of which were Grosel.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:LOL, in that Cuse game he was 8-10 for 195 yards. BC rushed for 500 yards, only 25 of which were Grosel.

You played baseball so I’m assuming you can also hit WRs that are 25 yards behind the DBs
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:LOL, in that Cuse game he was 8-10 for 195 yards. BC rushed for 500 yards, only 25 of which were Grosel.

You played baseball so I’m assuming you can also hit WRs that are 25 yards behind the DBs

Probably still can. Would hurt though.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Grosel wasn't inept. BC put up 58 points against Cuse and blew out NCSU as well. Our OC (Bajakian) got a job at Northwestern pretty quickly based on the fact that the offense was fairly efficient. The bigger problem with the 2019 BC team was the defense.

I’ll caveat this with it’s not his fault, but he’s completely inept. Against NCST he went 6 of 15 for like 50 yards. We would’ve won both games with TWB at QB. Please recruit and develop a real QB. I’m incredibly sick and tired of Fadule, Flutie, Grosel, etc. back there.

You are correct that the defense was the bigger problem. That Kansas game was a scarring experience.

I notice that you're tired of Fadule, Flutie, and Grosel rather than Wade or Smith.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium