Transfer portal?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Transfer portal?

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:35 pm

It remains to be seen what the transfer portal will do to the overall fanbase of college sports.

Kind of like the Chads and the TatooedAlphaMcStudleys on Tinder and technology portals getting a harem of women to fuck, (and loving every second of their digitized advantages while the other 95% of men are "sweep left"), the transfer portal is great for the best college athletes. They get to show how super athletic they are playing for teams they didn't really want to play for in the first place. And then, after a season or two, when the expert recruiters and coaches realize how wrong they were and regret overlooking them, the offers from the powerhouses go out to the overlooked athletes with a chip on their shoulders.

Devotion? Loyalty? Honor? Sure, I am sure that exists with some of the super athletes. Some of them will remain wherever they are. But for the ones that really want at least a shot at a national championship, they will exit. The highest scorer for the Michigan State Spartans men's hoops team, he was playing for Coen and my Northeastern Huskies. There was nothing Coen could do to keep Walker on the roster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Walker

The fans? Well, I am sure the fans at Michigan State appreciate the transfer portal for this reason. And for the universities that get picked over, the ones that are just a farm system for the baby rapists (for lack of a better term), do they really have much of a fan base to matter? If they did, they would already be a baby rapist.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:32 pm

Which is the parody account again? Space or nospace?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Which is the parody account again? Space or nospace?

Parody account is HJS.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Which is the parody account again? Space or nospace?

Parody account is HJS.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:30 pm

Its all I've got.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:40 pm

It's a terrible product and it is going to die.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm

Let's bring Kyle McCord to the Heights! :)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:54 pm

From the offers by BC that I’ve seen, the staff appears to be looking to add at OL, WR, DB. Other positions may be targeted as well; these are just the ones I’ve seen.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 am

hansen {l Wrote}:From the offers by BC that I’ve seen, the staff appears to be looking to add at OL, WR, DB. Other positions may be targeted as well; these are just the ones I’ve seen.

We have also offered two TEs, a DT from Harvard and a RB from Iowa St but IOLs seem to be the priority.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:36 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:From the offers by BC that I’ve seen, the staff appears to be looking to add at OL, WR, DB. Other positions may be targeted as well; these are just the ones I’ve seen.

We have also offered two TEs, a DT from Harvard and a RB from Iowa St but IOLs seem to be the priority.

Correction, 3 TEs, and the one from UNC just verballed.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:43 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/KamariMorales?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

UNC analysis after he announced entering the portal: https://keepingitheel.com/2023/11/26/un ... er-portal/

As much as this coaching staff should be launched to the moon, that's a really good pull out of the portal.

Edit - Him, Franklin & a healthy Tackas (he was really hurt apparently and tried to play through it) gives us something at least at TE.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/KamariMorales?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

UNC analysis after he announced entering the portal: https://keepingitheel.com/2023/11/26/un ... er-portal/

As much as this coaching staff should be launched to the moon, that's a really good pull out of the portal.

Edit - Him, Franklin & a healthy Tackas (he was really hurt apparently and tried to play through it) gives us something at least at TE.

The UNC kid was demoted to 3rd TE and had 11 receptions and 0.0 TDs last season.
Tackas is out of eligibility and you are thinking of the 2022 season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'm guessing it was his hands.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:20 pm

:kudos
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'm guessing it was his hands.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:39 pm

BCs in solid shape with Ryan Boultwood (JUCO TE). BC/ASU/WSU in the final 3.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Transfer Portal

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:38 pm

We got a DB from Georgia St, who I guess is originally from Mass
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Re: Transfer Portal

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:We got a DB from Georgia St, who I guess is originally from Mass

He's another good depth pick-up. Our secondary was a disaster last year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:38 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The UNC kid was demoted to 3rd TE and had 11 receptions and 0.0 TDs last season.
Tackas is out of eligibility and you are thinking of the 2022 season.

Morales was productive at UNC before he got hurt (and Nesbit their current TE is a NFL pick most likely). He's a huge improvement over putting Jack Conley or whatever out there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:44 pm

apparently kansas st (via FSU) RB Treshaun Ward was on campus last year. 5'10 195. ran for 600 yards each of last 2 seasons with 7 & 5 TDs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Confirmed to BC, nice grab for hafley
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:35 pm

Ryan Turner CB from Ohio State committed.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:28 pm

When all this transfer stuff started happening a few years ago, I thought it was best for BC to bring in P5 players. Then over time I watched the transfer players, looked at stats and PFF data. And I realized that my eyes told me something that makes sense if you think about it. P5 players that end up transferring to BC are, unless the previous PFF scores tell you otherwise, looking for something easier. They couldn't cut it at that SEC, Big 10 school, etc... They want playing time, but they're not willing to work as hard to get it. Meanwhile, the guys that are coming from G5, FCS, etc.... they want to face something that is more difficult. They don't want to continue to play at that level because the other guys don't challenge them enough. BC wants the latter, not the former.

The data (median PFF scores of players transferring in):
2020 BC transfer players - P5 players 64.2 , LOWER level 70.9
2021 transfer players - P5 players 68.3, LOWER level 66.2
2022 transfer players - P5 Players 60.7, LOWER level 69.7
2023 transfer players - P5 players 59, LOWER level 63.85

If you're wondering why 2021 looks pretty good for P5, PFF scored Jurkovec and JL Woodbey pretty strongly that year. Jurk obvi for limited reps. Both fell off a cliff in their 2022 eval.

So, using this info:
Kamari Morales - UNC TE transfer - is NOT someone to be excited about. His PFF score from last year was 49.7. He can't block. He lost his job to two younger guys. He's leaving to come to BC because he wants an easier path to playing. UNC doesn't want him.
Treshaun Ward - K State RB - Excited, he's a stud. His PFF score last year was 77.5 (even a touch higher than Robichaux). I don't know how we got him. I assume most guys like this are chasing NIL dollars.
Bryquice Brown - Ga State CB - I don't know. Maybe optimistic. His PFF score was 60.3 last year. Could be depth guy.
Ryan Turner - Ohio State CB. Excited. He only played limited snaps, but his PFF score was strong, 72. I'll take him. One thing you do know, is Hafley is going to start him. Even if someone else is better. He promised this guy starting time. That's the issue with the P5 transfers we take in. Takacs, Rooks (one of lowest PFF scores on BC defense this year. Watch the tape. An out of position sieve) , Jurkovec, etc... we promise them playing time.

Who I'd like to see us land (all offered by BC) :
Omar Aigbedion - Montana State IOL 90 PFF score
Easton Kilty - North Dakota OL 83 PFF score
Davion Carter - IOL Memphis 79.9 PFF score
Upton Scout - Western KY CB 78.6
Justin Mayers - UTEP IOL 78.2
Devon Marshall - the Villanova CB that we've offered. 76.5 PFF score.
Micah Robinson - the Furman CB that we've offered. 73.1 PFF score.

Who I don't want us to get, of the offered:
Lucas Heyer - OL Stanford. Hasn't played a snap. Basically Kevin Pyne (who btw couldnt start at Rhode Island this year)
Javan Robinson - CB Wash State
Taurean Carter - DL - Arkansas
Isaiah Hastings - DE Alabama

Others I wish we had or would target:
I wish we would have been able to get THor Griffith, the DL from Harvard that Louisville secured.
I like Joey Slackman DL from Penn, he has big time offers.
Cory Dyches, the TE from Maryland is a stud.
I'd be interested in a good FG kicker. the guy from Duke, Charlie Ham is in the portal. UConn's Kicker is as well
I would have pursued Justin Joly, the TE from UConn, but he chose NC State already.
Controversial, but I would have pursued Tyler Van Dyke. I think he'd be an upgrade on TC, sorry to say. I know that's controversial, but I worry about being this committed to a QB.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much. Hafley is not the guy. It's like bringing in great ingredients to someone that doesn't know how to cook. We will have losing year next year, and he will be gone. But I thought I would share how I would think about the portal, and who we get.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:21 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:When all this transfer stuff started happening a few years ago, I thought it was best for BC to bring in P5 players. Then over time I watched the transfer players, looked at stats and PFF data. And I realized that my eyes told me something that makes sense if you think about it. P5 players that end up transferring to BC are, unless the previous PFF scores tell you otherwise, looking for something easier. They couldn't cut it at that SEC, Big 10 school, etc... They want playing time, but they're not willing to work as hard to get it. Meanwhile, the guys that are coming from G5, FCS, etc.... they want to face something that is more difficult. They don't want to continue to play at that level because the other guys don't challenge them enough. BC wants the latter, not the former.

The data (median PFF scores of players transferring in):
2020 BC transfer players - P5 players 64.2 , LOWER level 70.9
2021 transfer players - P5 players 68.3, LOWER level 66.2
2022 transfer players - P5 Players 60.7, LOWER level 69.7
2023 transfer players - P5 players 59, LOWER level 63.85

If you're wondering why 2021 looks pretty good for P5, PFF scored Jurkovec and JL Woodbey pretty strongly that year. Jurk obvi for limited reps. Both fell off a cliff in their 2022 eval.

So, using this info:
Kamari Morales - UNC TE transfer - is NOT someone to be excited about. His PFF score from last year was 49.7. He can't block. He lost his job to two younger guys. He's leaving to come to BC because he wants an easier path to playing. UNC doesn't want him.
Treshaun Ward - K State RB - Excited, he's a stud. His PFF score last year was 77.5 (even a touch higher than Robichaux). I don't know how we got him. I assume most guys like this are chasing NIL dollars.
Bryquice Brown - Ga State CB - I don't know. Maybe optimistic. His PFF score was 60.3 last year. Could be depth guy.
Ryan Turner - Ohio State CB. Excited. He only played limited snaps, but his PFF score was strong, 72. I'll take him. One thing you do know, is Hafley is going to start him. Even if someone else is better. He promised this guy starting time. That's the issue with the P5 transfers we take in. Takacs, Rooks (one of lowest PFF scores on BC defense this year. Watch the tape. An out of position sieve) , Jurkovec, etc... we promise them playing time.

Who I'd like to see us land (all offered by BC) :
Omar Aigbedion - Montana State IOL 90 PFF score
Easton Kilty - North Dakota OL 83 PFF score
Davion Carter - IOL Memphis 79.9 PFF score
Upton Scout - Western KY CB 78.6
Justin Mayers - UTEP IOL 78.2
Devon Marshall - the Villanova CB that we've offered. 76.5 PFF score.
Micah Robinson - the Furman CB that we've offered. 73.1 PFF score.

Who I don't want us to get, of the offered:
Lucas Heyer - OL Stanford. Hasn't played a snap. Basically Kevin Pyne (who btw couldnt start at Rhode Island this year)
Javan Robinson - CB Wash State
Taurean Carter - DL - Arkansas
Isaiah Hastings - DE Alabama

Others I wish we had or would target:
I wish we would have been able to get THor Griffith, the DL from Harvard that Louisville secured.
I like Joey Slackman DL from Penn, he has big time offers.
Cory Dyches, the TE from Maryland is a stud.
I'd be interested in a good FG kicker. the guy from Duke, Charlie Ham is in the portal. UConn's Kicker is as well
I would have pursued Justin Joly, the TE from UConn, but he chose NC State already.
Controversial, but I would have pursued Tyler Van Dyke. I think he'd be an upgrade on TC, sorry to say. I know that's controversial, but I worry about being this committed to a QB.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much. Hafley is not the guy. It's like bringing in great ingredients to someone that doesn't know how to cook. We will have losing year next year, and he will be gone. But I thought I would share how I would think about the portal, and who we get.

I think your sample sizes are too small to declare some sort of profile superior to another. At the end of the day we need depth and contributors. Most of these guys look like they can play. Hafley is coaching for his job so get as many guys as you can and see what works. 75% of these cases are better than the high school prospects.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:12 am

durkcal,

Excellent detail.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby QuailMan on Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:22 pm

never been more interested in college football since the new transfer rules. not sure why you boomers romanticize making a kid stay at a school be a 4th string/practice rep guy
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:15 pm

Always good to have someone lack enough creativity to come up with a more derogatory ad hominem for a bunch of Gen-Xers than "boomer." Probably the most faux insult of all time, but these dipshits think it is the tits, for realz!

Anyway, the portal means no one has a fucking clue who anyone is anymore. For BC that means a lot of Pupels. That blows. Has nothing to do with trying to force kids to stay.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:52 am

RB from UCF, 6-1 / 220. didn't play much first 2 years, was a big recruit.

fine for 4th string RB
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:13 pm

Big time 6’5” WR from Texas Tech Jerand Bradley committed.

Still need a lot more in numbers, but this is a super impressive transfer portal from Hafley
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am

Need someone who can actually sack a QB.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium