BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:57 pm

31southst wrote:I assume not for a while but does anyone know how quickly the waiver question will be resolved one way or another?


Considering it's the NCAA involved.....you get bet the answer is as slow as possible.
eaglesfan06
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm
Karma: -132

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eagle33 wrote:
HJS wrote:Btw... if we land him, I think credit goes directly to Cignetti.


not bad for a 3rd choice oc who's only been on the job for a week.

I shit on the hire because I thought it was boring and safe. But, I’m pointing this out because it’s only fair to give him credit if he lands a monster QB.


Is Ian Book's backup really a "monster QB"?


Yes. Look at Brian Kelly’s record of QB development. Jurkovec was the #4 QB in the country out of high school. He might have been higher, but he shut his recruiting down his sophomore year of HS and didn’t do any of the road shows like The Opening and the like.

As I said, and this comes from a very highly placed and source, Kelly prefers system QBs and has never done well with talent. There is a reason that Tommy Rees and Ian Book are the only guys who will have played 3 years under Kelly. Kiel left after a semester. Kizer regressed badly from year 1 to year 2 when Kelly made him stick in “his system” after letting him freelance his first year out of necessity because he didn’t know the playbook. And even if they were busts, take a look at Zaire and Wimbush’s first few starts versus after Kelly “installed” his offense in their brains and started going all purple face on them when they utilized their athleticism to make plays.

Go read the ND message boards and beat writers. Even the Kelly apologists are upset by this development. People close to the program are similarly angry. I watched him in spring ball and he was fantastic. His fall camp was allegedly not good, but know one knows and Kelly isn’t above throwing kids under the bus to justify putting his man-crush in the QB position (See Everett Golson v Tommy Rees), (Dayne Crist v Tommy Rees). I will also say that Jurkovec made one of the most impressive throws I have ever seen in what was mop up duty against UVA. Got drilled in the chest as he was throwing and still delivered a pinpoint accurate 40 yard rope across the field. Hope I will see more of it going forward (without him getting drilled).


ND insiders are spinning this as a recruit not being as good as expected and unwilling to stay and compete for a job. Not saying that’s accurate, but that’s what I’ve heard from 2 people close to ND program.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 496

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Irish writers saying he didn’t get along with Rees

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... notre-dame
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 496

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Most of the ND reporters are basically saying Kelly prefers system over talent. The starter jacket crowd is sure to bash the kid on his way out the door, but most of the ND articles say the kid is loaded with talent and wasn't what Kelly wanted. Regardless, he's far more highly regarded than anything BC could have next year and anything in the portal now that Newman is off the board.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31167
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2422

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm

2001Eagle wrote:Irish writers saying he didn’t get along with Rees

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... notre-dame


Tommy Rees, a mediocre at best QB that fit Kelly's system and caused Kelly to run off far better athletes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31167
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2422

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.
Last edited by hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15612
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 303

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby eagle33 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:01 pm

2001Eagle wrote:ND insiders are spinning this as a recruit not being as good as expected and unwilling to stay and compete for a job. Not saying that’s accurate, but that’s what I’ve heard from 2 people close to ND program.


'nd insiders' bashing the kid means we're getting a good one
eagle33
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: 65

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Combing through the ND site, the waiver actually should be likely. Somebody posted a list of NCAA criteria and one is lack of competition ("no participation opportunity"). Kelly has publicly said he wants Book back. Any coach would say that, sure, but it's reasonable to infer that Book would remain the starter coming back for a 5th year. Additionally, Jurkovec having a girlfriend in Boston and a family that would have an easier time seeing his games should make it a slam dunk.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 am
Karma: 51

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 am
Karma: 51

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:39 pm

billyshelby wrote:Combing through the ND site, the waiver actually should be likely. Somebody posted a list of NCAA criteria and one is lack of competition ("no participation opportunity"). Kelly has publicly said he wants Book back. Any coach would say that, sure, but it's reasonable to infer that Book would remain the starter coming back for a 5th year. Additionally, Jurkovec having a girlfriend in Boston and a family that would have an easier time seeing his games should make it a slam dunk.


Comparing Book’s offers to Jurkovec’s is an interesting exercise.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 496

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm

billyshelby wrote:Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games

I believe Cignetti is related to Jurkovec.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14519
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 281

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 pm

HJS wrote:
billyshelby wrote:Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games

I believe Cignetti is related to Jurkovec.


That would help too! But relative or not, the kid is not going to sign with a school that has a run run pass OC. Obviously Cignetti and Hafley assured him they want to utilize his skill set And I would be shocked if two guys recently in the NFL weren't also pitching that he would play in a system that would showcase his dual threat ability.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 am
Karma: 51

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:24 pm

HJS wrote:
billyshelby wrote:Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games

I believe Cignetti is related to Jurkovec.


Hafley’s playing chess while everyone else is still playing checkers.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15612
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 303

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 pm

If you watch this interview, after the spring game when he apparently got sacked 100 times, you can see his frustration with the ND system. What I like is it seems he is genuinely frustrated that he can't master Kelly's offense. But as he hints, he's also frustrated that he's been told not to make plays with his feet or use his creativity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jkr8OMkYXQ

And when you watch this video, you can see what he's capable of when he runs a system that utilizes his obvious gifts. I mean, that deep ball is a thing of beauty. He can throw it 40 yards on a dart (Rodgers like), but he also show the smarts to put loft on it when he needs to. And the running plays are just sick. High school, I know, but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98DbxKss_4
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 am
Karma: 51

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby NJM89 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 am

Image
User avatar
NJM89
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 pm
Karma: 45

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

Jurkovec sounds like a guy who should’ve transferred a long time ago. He’s either a star who was crushed by Tommy Rees and Kelly and will need to be rehabbed. Or, he’s not good. I’m guessing the former. But, I hope Sam Johnson sticks around for another season to see if it is the latter. On that front, I don’t know how Valecce and SJ did not get any chance after AB went down.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14519
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 281

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 am



Hopefully, he takes it for what it is, a challenge to find the best QB available.

That being said, I wouldn't blame him if he left. Whole new staff and all.
eaglesfan06
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm
Karma: -132

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 am

hansen wrote:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.


If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.
EagleNYC
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 am
Karma: 163

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am

EagleNYC wrote:
hansen wrote:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.


If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.


https://twitter.com/ForBlogston/status/ ... 9793751040

:shrug
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 138

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 am

i think there will be enough shuffling after spring ball to secure a qb for 2020 should the waiver not turn out as it should (cause these restrictions are garbage)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18326
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3106

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 am

Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14519
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 281

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 am

HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.


Probably even more than usual, you have no idea.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14311
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 1728

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 am

MilitantEagle wrote:
EagleNYC wrote:
hansen wrote:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.


If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.


https://twitter.com/ForBlogston/status/ ... 9793751040

:shrug


While I have no information on the waiver whatsoever, I have more information than that sort of blogger.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 31167
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2422

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57 am

HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.



Hansen, it's time for you to put that twitter account to use and become the Dooder-esque hero you so desperately want to be.

You know what you must do.
Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -317

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby hansen on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:15 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.



Hansen, it's time for you to put that twitter account to use and become the Dooder-esque hero you so desperately want to be.

You know what you must do.


Seriously this is like low-hanging fruit for the members of EO.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15612
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 303

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.



Hansen, it's time for you to put that twitter account to use and become the Dooder-esque hero you so desperately want to be.

You know what you must do.


hansens up for the task

Image
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18326
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3106

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:
EagleNYC wrote:
hansen wrote:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.


If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.


https://twitter.com/ForBlogston/status/ ... 9793751040

:shrug


While I have no information on the waiver whatsoever, I have more information than that sort of blogger.


Nor do I but I tend to believe Mr. Dick Rosenthal and if he says the waiver is forthcoming, I'd bet that way.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:51 pm
Karma: 193

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby Manny on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 pm

HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.

There was also the UGA baseball player who got expelled after calling him the N-word a bunch of times (published news) and the handful of said baseball player's teammates who harassed him for a while afterward (rumor from local people). But sure, make up some bullshit to make a 19-year-old look like the bad guy for wanting to play football somewhere else.
Manny
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:59 pm
Karma: 49

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm

BC believes they can get it. Also the NCAA doesn't want to change the rule but they also don't want to fight this in court, so there are lots of waivers especially for high profile players.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 595

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Manny wrote:
HJS wrote:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.

There was also the UGA baseball player who got expelled after calling him the N-word a bunch of times (published news) and the handful of said baseball player's teammates who harassed him for a while afterward (rumor from local people). But sure, make up some bullshit to make a 19-year-old look like the bad guy for wanting to play football somewhere else.


I’ve been saying elsewhere that I think Jurkovec’s people are going to produce documentary evidence that the coaches wouldn’t give him a fair shake, & that their treatment of him was poor enough to warrant the waiver based on the NCAA’s guidelines.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/council-adjusts-transfer-waiver-guidelines-addresses-other-topics
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm
Karma: 30

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 31southst and 11 guests

Untitled document