2020 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Day has benefited from transfer waivers so of course he will be in favor of them. My guess is Notre Dame is will cooperate eventually. They need the ACC this year and are likely to play BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 621

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:40 pm

ATLeagle wrote:Day has benefited from transfer waivers so of course he will be in favor of them. My guess is Notre Dame is will cooperate eventually. They need the ACC this year and are likely to play BC.


In response to this, I just wrote the best post of my goddam life and then my iPad battery died. Motherfucker!
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16967
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -432

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:22 pm

hansen wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:Day has benefited from transfer waivers so of course he will be in favor of them. My guess is Notre Dame is will cooperate eventually. They need the ACC this year and are likely to play BC.


In response to this, I just wrote the best post of my goddam life and then my iPad battery died. Motherfucker!

it shouldn't be that difficult to retype "i am leaving and never coming back."
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 10th year in a row
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20781
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5774

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
hansen wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:Day has benefited from transfer waivers so of course he will be in favor of them. My guess is Notre Dame is will cooperate eventually. They need the ACC this year and are likely to play BC.


In response to this, I just wrote the best post of my goddam life and then my iPad battery died. Motherfucker!

it shouldn't be that difficult to retype "i am leaving and never coming back."


shut up, tyrant
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16967
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -432

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle wrote:
StratEagle wrote:
BC923 wrote:Per twitter, Jaelen Gill has been granted immediate eligibility should we play this year. Can’t imagine what the hang up with Jurk is


Rumored that Ryan Day vouched for Gill's case, while Notre Dame did the complete opposite. No idea if true though.


I believe both happened. With Gill, claver2010 at 7:53PM yesterday points out that Gill didn't fit Ryan Day's offense and was stuck behind extremely talented players anywhere he'd play. If Day threw his full support behind Gill's effort to transfer, citing these factors, I could see the NCAA doing the easy thing and going along with the waiver. Why would Day do this? It indicates that he has the best interest of his players and staff at heart, which helps his recruiting long-term. Look at how classy and secure Day appeared to be with Burrow and Hafley. He also has a soft spot for BC, and knows it's unlikely this will blow up on him personally unless BC somehow meets OSU in the CFP. We hope for a 'ship, but obviously unlikely in the next couple of years.

Phil Jurkovec's in a different situation. At the time of the transfer, it was clear his departure was related to his treatment at ND. It appears Kelly (and Tommy Rees) had elevated what was said to be the less talented QB, rather than focusing the offense on the skills of the more talented one. Something akin to how the Pittsburgh Steelers demonstrated John Bunting's misuse of Willie Parker at UNC.

It's one thing to maintain a scheme to serve multiple 5* players, rather than change for a single 5* player. It's entirely different to maintain an offense to serve a less talented QB, rather than to adjust so that you fit the skills of a more talented QB.

ND was never going to cooperate in Jurkovec's transfer. Doing so undercuts ND's depth at QB. More importantly, Jurkovec's success will redound negatively on Kelly and Rees. That will be moreso the case if Jurkovec plays well THIS season and shows what Kelly (and Rees) could have done with the ND offense--if only they had been willing to change the scheme to suit their personnel.

So ND fights, forcing BC and Jurkovec to decide how far they want to go to secure the transfer. Do they want to air all the dirty laundry, knowing ND will fight all the harder? That kind of conflict intimidates the NCAA, and will lead them to drag this out as they try to decide what to do. Probably the best option for them is to wait and see if CFB gets canceled before they have to decide.


There's no "securing the transfer." He's transferred. The question is whether he can play this year. Turns out, may not matter. They are all getting waivers for next year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32486
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:19 pm

The CAA (which includes some solid FCS schools like Maine, Villanova, Delaware, JMU, etc.), decides to suspend football conference play this fall but allow individual schools to still play an independent schedule, and they will explore playing conference games in the spring. Seems like they are saying if you can find someone local to play or still play a nearby power-5 team and get a payday, go for it.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 4858
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 pm
Karma: 1101

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm



David Bailey
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:I do think there is a college education bubble that is in the process of bursting—it was coming anyway, but t DXC he Wuhan Virus has sped the process up considerably. A lot of small liberal arts colleges are going away. Non-flagship state schools are going to largely go away. Private universities are going to have to get less expensive with some exceptions. And everyone is going to have to offer cheaper on-line options—even places like Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Stanford are going to have to offer at least some graduate degrees in a cheaper on-line model, especially in the humanities because the value proposition can’t justify the current cost model.


Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Stanford are going to be just fine. Why? That $350,000 piece of paper = $100,000/year at age 22.



NYU Professor Scott Galloway gets into the numbers. Basically Covid-19 is going to "cull the herd" in academia. Yale, Harvard, Princeton, UVa, Michigan, (and yes, BC, you guys are Tier-1) they will be fine. They will be fine because the 1% already know that the degree from those schools automatically get your son or daughter the social/professional network connections and the 6 figure salary at age 22. That is because they will be working for someone who ALSO got that Tier-1 education. Operation Varsity Blues, that was the reality for the 1% who had to sell their souls to get their fuckhead children to maximize our 2020 economy.

The Tier-2 universities (places like where I graduated) are going to get screwed. Parents are just not going to "send" their kids to a Tier-2 school, pay $47,000 for one year of education, just so their kids can sit at home and watch a Zoom/Skype call. Covid-19 may END them. There is a HUGE number of 2020 high school graduates taking a gap year (or if all they can do is Zoom calls, community college will be fine) and the Tier-2 schools, they don't have the Yale endowments and they will go bankrupt (or likely, they will just "cash out" like Pine Manor did with BC.) This year will mark the single largest DROP in university enrollment since 1942. We all know what Notre Dame had to do with the United States Navy when their enrollment dropped in 1942.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby hansen on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am

anyone know when practice starts?
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16967
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -432

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:30 pm

not before they delay the season next week
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3202

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am

video of halfye's zoom call with donors re recruiting



talked about process, added 2 FTEs to recruiting staff when hired, every assistant's #1 job is recruiting.

don't get caught up in stars but just scratching surface on what he's looking to do
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3202

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby BC923 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:36 am

claver2010 wrote:video of halfye's zoom call with donors re recruiting



talked about process, added 2 FTEs to recruiting staff when hired, every assistant's #1 job is recruiting.

don't get caught up in stars but just scratching surface on what he's looking to do

Acknowledged that there would be a lot of decommits this year with no on campus visits too
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 440

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 pm

claver2010 wrote:video of halfye's zoom call with donors re recruiting



talked about process, added 2 FTEs to recruiting staff when hired, every assistant's #1 job is recruiting.


I'm real happy to hear that. Every assistant's #1 job should be recruiting. If you don't get the recruits, you don't win big games. You go (at best) 7-5.

Problem is, I heard the same comment 7 years ago when meathead joined the team. He went on the record stipulating that every morning he would have all his assistants go over exactly where each one of them were with their potential recruits. Look at how all that turned out.

Talk is cheap. We need results. Hafley gets a pass this year (and maybe next year) because the team is completed hollowed out of any real talent. We don't even know who the QB will be, that is assuming that there will even be a season. But he needs to do a far better job with the recruiting than meathead ever did.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:47 pm

claver2010 wrote:video of halfye's zoom call with donors re recruiting



talked about process, added 2 FTEs to recruiting staff when hired, every assistant's #1 job is recruiting.

don't get caught up in stars but just scratching surface on what he's looking to do


The kid hosting seems to have his act together. Someone must have thought it would be better for him to host, as opposed to MeatBaum?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:41 am

The ACC is looking at a 10+1 schedule with Notre Dame counting as conference games. That makes for more meaningful games but also makes for a tough first year for Hafley.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 621

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:18 am

yeah this season ain't happening in the fall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3202

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am

claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall


you may be right
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 pm

claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall



I am holding out for greed. A football less fall will wreck college sports. Lots of cushy administrators are going to be out on their asses and non-rev sports are going to get cut to the bone.

The pro leagues have billionaire owners who can backstop things and use covid to control future costs. College isn't the same model.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 621

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm

ATLeagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall



I am holding out for greed. A football less fall will wreck college sports. Lots of cushy administrators are going to be out on their asses and non-rev sports are going to get cut to the bone.

The pro leagues have billionaire owners who can backstop things and use covid to control future costs. College isn't the same model.


Pro players all have unions to negotiate on behalf of their collective interests. Colleges have a lot more latitude to pursue such greed.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm
Karma: 31

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Except that the pro players in the unions, unlike the college football players, have millions of reasons to be greedy too. And for the bottom 25-50% of them, far less ability to backstop.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32486
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2455

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall



I am holding out for greed. A football less fall will wreck college sports. Lots of cushy administrators are going to be out on their asses and non-rev sports are going to get cut to the bone.

The pro leagues have billionaire owners who can backstop things and use covid to control future costs. College isn't the same model.


Pro players all have unions to negotiate on behalf of their collective interests. Colleges have a lot more latitude to pursue such greed.


And you'll notice that pro players are back playing before the college players - which tells you something about their collective interests.
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 32

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
OCs_Inner_Eagle wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall



I am holding out for greed. A football less fall will wreck college sports. Lots of cushy administrators are going to be out on their asses and non-rev sports are going to get cut to the bone.

The pro leagues have billionaire owners who can backstop things and use covid to control future costs. College isn't the same model.


Pro players all have unions to negotiate on behalf of their collective interests. Colleges have a lot more latitude to pursue such greed.


And you'll notice that pro players are back playing before the college players - which tells you something about their collective interests.


What college sports plays in July?
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 154

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:
OCs_Inner_Eagle wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:yeah this season ain't happening in the fall



I am holding out for greed. A football less fall will wreck college sports. Lots of cushy administrators are going to be out on their asses and non-rev sports are going to get cut to the bone.

The pro leagues have billionaire owners who can backstop things and use covid to control future costs. College isn't the same model.


Pro players all have unions to negotiate on behalf of their collective interests. Colleges have a lot more latitude to pursue such greed.


And you'll notice that pro players are back playing before the college players - which tells you something about their collective interests.


What college sports plays in July?


The NBA doesn't usually play in July either. They found a way
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 32

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 am

flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5613
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 33

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:30 pm

acc just released their plan

10+1 OOC must be home or in state

ND full football member, all revenue shared equally

games start week after labor day

edit: opponents
Home: GT, VIlle, UNC, ND, Pitt
Away: Clem, Duke, Cuse, UVA, VT
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3202

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby MaxxPower325 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:14 pm

claver2010 wrote:acc just released their plan

10+1 OOC must be home or in state

ND full football member, all revenue shared equally

games start week after labor day

edit: opponents
Home: GT, VIlle, UNC, ND, Pitt
Away: Clem, Duke, Cuse, UVA, VT


So does this finally open the door for Jurkovic to get his waiver approved???
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 am
Karma: 106

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:21 pm

claver2010 wrote:acc just released their plan

10+1 OOC must be home or in state

ND full football member, all revenue shared equally

games start week after labor day

edit: opponents
Home: GT, VIlle, UNC, ND, Pitt
Away: Clem, Duke, Cuse, UVA, VT


Do this every year. So much better.
User avatar
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 155

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Who is our OOC then? Is it UMass or bust?
In.
User avatar
JesuitIvy
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm
Karma: 239

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby hansen on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:07 pm

JesuitIvy wrote:Who is our OOC then? Is it UMass or bust?


my guess is it will be someone shitty. this schedule seems pretty tough at first glance.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16967
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -432

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Untitled document