2020 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm

I was a big fan of Sports Radio when I lived in Boston. WEEI was pretty much the only radio I listened to if I bothered to listen to radio. But I never listed to Sports Radio in Phoenix, until today.

There are a couple/three stations that do Sports Radio in Phoenix. I tried to listen to 620 AM but all they had on was that financial guy who yells at people who use credit cards (even ones who pay off their entire balance in full each month and never pay of penny of interest claiming that they are "playing with snakes.") So I turned that off and tried to find another station. That is when I stumbled onto 98.7 FM, Arizona. Okay so it was mostly their people just talking about the Pac-12 decision and saying that it was the right thing to do because the doctors all said they had to do that. But the minute someone else mentioned the medical doctors in the ACC or the Big-XII giving the thumbs up, right away their response was "...well their doctors are STUPID!" LOL! Anyway they started taking some calls from the blood thirsty shut-in locals, ASU and U-of-A fans primarily. And the calls went one of two ways:

Disgruntled ASU fan {l Wrote}:Why the fuck did the Pac-12 cancel all fall sports for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year? A 12-0 vote? Why? The SEC didn't cancel. The ACC didn't cancel. The Big-XII didn't cancel. The AAC didn't even cancel. They are going to play! I have season's tickets and now not only did we lost college basketball this year, we are going to lose football as well? What about the Seniors???

Or

Vengeful/Calculating ASU fan {l Wrote}:Isn't there anyway we can appeal to some other kind of organization or person to FORCE the SEC/ACC/Big-XII to suspend their seasons to the spring? Can't the NCAA force them to play in the spring? It can't just be us and the Big-T(14)N playing in the spring, it doesn't work without the SEC. We have to have the SEC with us or we are not going to have a season. What can we do to force the SEC to suspend their season so that we can have someone to play other than each other?

Obviously, none of the calls were those exact words. But, the calls were of those two mindsets; one was bitching/complaining, the other, trying to make the OTHER GUY do what WE are doing because (after all) WE here in the West are SMARTER. I turned it off a while ago because I got bored with the radio jocks trying to talk people off the ledge or to convince other callers that there was nothing that could be done.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:58 pm

LET'S PLAY SOME BALL!!!!!!! :elephant :screamyeagle :elephant
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:02 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:LET'S PLAY SOME BALL!!!!!!! :elephant :screamyeagle :elephant

Hey nicely done BCDee freeing Jurk! Well done!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:06 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I was a big fan of Sports Radio when I lived in Boston. WEEI was pretty much the only radio I listened to if I bothered to listen to radio. But I never listed to Sports Radio in Phoenix, until today.

There are a couple/three stations that do Sports Radio in Phoenix. I tried to listen to 620 AM but all they had on was that financial guy who yells at people who use credit cards (even ones who pay off their entire balance in full each month and never pay of penny of interest claiming that they are "playing with snakes.") So I turned that off and tried to find another station. That is when I stumbled onto 98.7 FM, Arizona. Okay so it was mostly their people just talking about the Pac-12 decision and saying that it was the right thing to do because the doctors all said they had to do that. But the minute someone else mentioned the medical doctors in the ACC or the Big-XII giving the thumbs up, right away their response was "...well their doctors are STUPID!" LOL! Anyway they started taking some calls from the blood thirsty shut-in locals, ASU and U-of-A fans primarily. And the calls went one of two ways:

Disgruntled ASU fan {l Wrote}:Why the fuck did the Pac-12 cancel all fall sports for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year? A 12-0 vote? Why? The SEC didn't cancel. The ACC didn't cancel. The Big-XII didn't cancel. The AAC didn't even cancel. They are going to play! I have season's tickets and now not only did we lost college basketball this year, we are going to lose football as well? What about the Seniors???

Or

Vengeful/Calculating ASU fan {l Wrote}:Isn't there anyway we can appeal to some other kind of organization or person to FORCE the SEC/ACC/Big-XII to suspend their seasons to the spring? Can't the NCAA force them to play in the spring? It can't just be us and the Big-T(14)N playing in the spring, it doesn't work without the SEC. We have to have the SEC with us or we are not going to have a season. What can we do to force the SEC to suspend their season so that we can have someone to play other than each other?

Obviously, none of the calls were those exact words. But, the calls were of those two mindsets; one was bitching/complaining, the other, trying to make the OTHER GUY do what WE are doing because (after all) WE here in the West are SMARTER. I turned it off a while ago because I got bored with the radio jocks trying to talk people off the ledge or to convince other callers that there was nothing that could be done.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't get too excited about the ACC or other conferences saying they still intend to play as of today. I love that they are not throwing in the towel too, but we still have a month to go before the first (currently scheduled) game. Sept. 19 may as well be 10 years from now the way this whole thing is playing out. Let's see what things look like September 1 and then I'll start to let myself get excited about football.

First, I do not disagree with you.

But with that said, by what metric do you assume this to be the case? Or is it a liability issue? Or a PC issue? Or a purely political issue?

I find this very similar to the public school situation. None of the current metrics indicate a real risk for the children, deaths have basically disappeared for any but the very old and/or very sick, and the main drivers appear to be not pissing off the teachers unions. And even the absurd hybrid options don’t change the fact that a single sick child could potentially infect someone that, 6 degrees of separation later, kills a 90-year old.

So what does it take for the remaining schools/conferences to pull the plug? I think it will happen, unfortunately, but I am 100% of the belief that the nerds running the administration will cave to the screeching fear-mongerers.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:45 pm

The SEC is going to play unless there are plague carts going through the streets of Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, etc. picking up the corpses of Covid-killed KKGs, DGs, SAEs and Kappa Sigs and half of the teams are dead. First, because those universities more than any other are utterly and completely dependent on football to not only keep their athletic departments afloat, but in almost every case save Vanderbilt, both the college and the local economies are utterly dependent on football and football-related money to keep their universities afloat. Sure they get their tax contributions from the state, but those monies by themselves would be running a far more modest and smaller university. The money football pumps into their coffers aside, there is also the drawing of out-of-state students which add significantly to the schools bottom line and those Yankee kids aren’t coming in most cases without big time college football. The ACC, which has a significant number of wealthy private institutions with large endowments that are better suited to weather a shut down may shut it down, but it is going to set up a big split between the wealthier privates and schools like FSU, Clemson, NC State and Louisville and the rest of the conference—while GTech, UVA and UNC are obviously public schools, their financial profiles are closer to the wealthy privates then the aforementioned baby rapist publics.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:24 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't get too excited about the ACC or other conferences saying they still intend to play as of today. I love that they are not throwing in the towel too, but we still have a month to go before the first (currently scheduled) game. Sept. 19 may as well be 10 years from now the way this whole thing is playing out. Let's see what things look like September 1 and then I'll start to let myself get excited about football.

But with that said, by what metric do you assume this to be the case? Or is it a liability issue? Or a PC issue? Or a purely political issue?

I find this very similar to the public school situation. None of the current metrics indicate a real risk for the children, deaths have basically disappeared for any but the very old and/or very sick, and the main drivers appear to be not pissing off the teachers unions. And even the absurd hybrid options don’t change the fact that a single sick child could potentially infect someone that, 6 degrees of separation later, kills a 90-year old.

So what does it take for the remaining schools/conferences to pull the plug? I think it will happen, unfortunately, but I am 100% of the belief that the nerds running the administration will cave to the screeching fear-mongerers.

in my mind, it's potential liability that will shut this down. I'm sure the ambulance chasers are already circling the wagons as we speak.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:26 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Offensive Coordinator

He appeared very happy in this interview, very enthusiastic. I think that is because the ACC has not thrown in the towel the way they did on the West Coast and the Mid-West.

practice #6 (shoulder pads & helmets)

Meatbaum {l Wrote}:Following practice on Wednesday, junior center Alec Lindstrom hosted the latest “Listen Up My Dudes” podcast with offensive tackles Ben Petrula and Tyler Vrabel. Look for the latest episode on The Perch later today on iTunes, Spotify and BCEagles.com … Wednesday’s practice was without full contact, but the intensity level between the offense and defense was high throughout the workout … redshirt sophomore cornerback Elijah Jones had a productive day in the secondary, breaking up one pass and picking off a pass on a tipped ball over the middle versus the first-team offense … All-ACC linebacker Max Richardson led the league in solo tackles a season ago and showed great versatility in defending the pass with two pass breakups on Wednesday … quarterback Phil Jurkovec looked comfortable in the pocket on Wednesday, connecting early in team period with sophomore wide receiver Ethon Williams and junior tight end Hunter Long for a long gain … he also was in sync with a chunk play to sophomore wide out Zay Flowers and junior wide receiver CJ Lewis … redshirt freshman tight end Spencer Witter had the “play of the day” with a terrific diving reception on a throw from Jurkovec … senior linebacker John Lamot almost had an interception but settled for a PBU during team period … sophomore cornerback Josh DeBerry continued to be a presence in the secondary with a couple pass breakups on Wednesday … junior safety Jahmin Muse snatched an interception during team work while junior defensive end Marcus Valdez, sophomore defensive tackle Kyiev Bennermon and sophomore defensive end Shitta Sillah all tallied sacks during team periods.

more interviews from today

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:

in my mind, it's potential liability that will shut this down. I'm sure the ambulance chasers are already circling the wagons as we speak.

It's optics as well. A football player dies and that school, many other schools, and perhaps the NCAA is fucked from several angles.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:But with that said, by what metric do you assume this to be the case? Or is it a liability issue? Or a PC issue? Or a purely political issue?

Nothiong more then watching how the past two weeks have developed. What was it - 8 days ago that the Big 10 announced new conference-only schedules? And we all said: "Awesome, they've come up with a way to have a season and do it safely. Yay!" And here we are 8 or so days later and the season is canceled, mainly because the health professionals kept telling the college presidents: "Hey, if you run the numbers and probabilities, at least 5 or so players are gonna get real sick, and 1 or 2 may die before the season is over." And the college presidents said, "Well, if one of those kids that winds up on a ventilator or dies is from my school, that's the end of my career, so to hell with that."

Dick may be right in that the SEC may prove to be a different animal.

For what it's worth, the Big East cancelled all Fall sports. I know that is a totally different league with different schools, financial considerations (football is not a money maker at any of the schools that still have it), etc., but tell me that won't weigh on the minds of the presidents and ADs of the ACC schools in the northeast, or the high-end private schools in the conference. You really think at the end of the day the presidents and ADs of Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UVA and Wake are going to go forward with this?

I truly hope I'm wrong and that the season goes forward - I think they should play. But the trend I'm seeing gives me little reason to be optimistic that it will happen.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:17 am

What is a "chunk play"?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 am

A gain of 3-6 yards. Something that doesn't move the chains but gets you closer to the first down.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:30 am

so seems like fsu isn't testing weekly and trying to silence positive results...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:so seems like fsu isn't testing weekly and trying to silence positive results...

When did they hire Daz?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:47 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:For what it's worth, the Big East cancelled all Fall sports. I know that is a totally different league with different schools, financial considerations (football is not a money maker at any of the schools that still have it), etc., but tell me that won't weigh on the minds of the presidents and ADs of the ACC schools in the northeast, or the high-end private schools in the conference. You really think at the end of the day the presidents and ADs of Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UVA and Wake are going to go forward with this?

I truly hope I'm wrong and that the season goes forward - I think they should play. But the trend I'm seeing gives me little reason to be optimistic that it will happen.

No one in the ACC gives slightest crap about decisions made in the Big East. Local high schools have a greater impact on ACC decision-making than the Big East.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:For what it's worth, the Big East cancelled all Fall sports. I know that is a totally different league with different schools, financial considerations (football is not a money maker at any of the schools that still have it), etc., but tell me that won't weigh on the minds of the presidents and ADs of the ACC schools in the northeast, or the high-end private schools in the conference. You really think at the end of the day the presidents and ADs of Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UVA and Wake are going to go forward with this?

No one in the ACC gives slightest crap about decisions made in the Big East. Local high schools have a greater impact on ACC decision-making than the Big East.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overstating things, but I suspect Fr. Leahy would at least take interest in what the presidents of Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier are doing.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Primetime on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:A gain of 3-6 yards. Something that doesn't move the chains but gets you closer to the first down.

This is incorrect - "chunk plays" are large gains, definitely for first downs, and typically 15-20 yards. Picking up large "chunks" of yardage (but not a big play like 40+).

EDIT: after Googling, it looks like "chunk plays" are frequently used interchangeably with "big plays" - either way, definitely a good thing for this offense.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Appreciate the correction. I've been misunderstanding this whole time.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Practice #7

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:00 pm

innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:03 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Appreciate the correction. I've been misunderstanding this whole time.

The thing you were describing they usually say "staying ahead of schedule" or somesuch similar cliche.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 am

Practice #8 (full pads, 2 hours)

Practice Notes: The full pads practice featured an inside run period to start the day … during the first team period of work Friday, sophomore quarterback Phil Jurkovec found sophomore wide receiver Zay Flowers behind the secondary for a beautiful, 70-yard touchdown pass … Flowers had a big day receiving as he also hauled in a 45-yard reception from Jurkovec along with a red zone touchdown reception … the Eagles worked on red zone situations both in team work and 7-on-7 … junior defensive end Marcus Valdez recovered a fumble to go along with a sack Friday … senior safety Mike Palmer came down with an interception during team period … senior linebacker John Lamot finished with a tackle behind the line of scrimmage in team work … the linebackers also saw big plays during team periods from sophomore Joe Sparacio (TFL in the backfield) and a sack from sophomore Hugh Davis … junior safety Jahmin Muse broke up a touchdown pass in the end zone during red zone work … true freshman defensive tackle Cam Horsley blocked a field goal near the end of practice … redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Johnson connected with junior tight end Hunter Long on a long gain during team period work … junior quarterback Dennis Grosel found sophomore wide receiver Ezechiel Tiede on the sideline as he went up in traffic to come up with the terrific reception … Tiede, who has played defensive back and quarterback last season in practice, has looked to find a home at wide receiver so far this preseason … the running back room continues to show great depth as true freshman Andre Hines had a nice first-down carry in 11-on-11 drills Friday … senior defensive end Brandon Barlow had a would-be sack if the quarterbacks were live … sophomore linebacker Nick DeNucci came away with a pass breakup in the end zone during red zone work.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 pm

Practice #9 - light day

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 pm

If only the SEC and ACC play this fall* will BC finally finish in the top 25 again? Including ND, that's 29 teams. I still say no.

*I continue to think it ain't happening.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:If only the SEC and ACC play this fall* will BC finally finish in the top 25 again? Including ND, that's 29 teams. I still say no.

They won't finish in the bottom 4 of the ACC. Add Vandy and Kentucky, got them at 23 at worst.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:If only the SEC and ACC play this fall* will BC finally finish in the top 25 again? Including ND, that's 29 teams. I still say no.

Timestamp this:

IF (and ONLY if) the SEC plays this fall, the Big-XII and the ACC will play this fall. Both conferences look up to the SEC the way the Pac-12 looks up to the B1G T(14)N. They are going to do whatever the SEC does.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:46 am

so now you have the 4 largest brands and the best player in the conference in outward revolt towards the commissioner

good stuff
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:so now you have the 4 largest brands and the best player in the conference in outward revolt towards the commissioner

good stuff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8632093/Trump-says-Clemson-quarterback-Trevor-Lawrence-called-told-want-play-football.html
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:so now you have the 4 largest brands and the best player in the conference in outward revolt towards the commissioner

good stuff

Is this referring to the B10?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... one-season
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:22 am

yes sorry

the letters from player's parents, harbaugh, day, & frost wondering wtf is going on and the justin fields (the player in the conference with the most to lose by having a season) launching a petition to play with over 25k signatures in under an hour
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext