2020 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Some bowl projections from ESPN:

SDCCU Holiday Bowl
SDCCU Stadium, San Diego
Bonagura: Washington vs. Boston College
Schlabach: Arizona State vs. North Carolina

Fenway Bowl
Fenway Park, Boston
Bonagura: Pittsburgh vs. SMU
Schlabach: Boston College vs. Memphis

I find it hard to believe they're playing Bowls this year beyond the CFP.

Holiday Bowl 100% wont be at SDCCU/Jack Murphy

I don't think they are supposed to demolish it until early next year. One last ride?

It's been demolished currently. Was in bad shape 5 or so years ago when I went to a game there for work.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:11 pm

No Stadium can be in worse shape than Legion Field.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:No Stadium can be in worse shape than Legion Field.

I can't speak for Legion Field. I was in the Georgia Dome for Ole Miss/Boise St. the year they demolished it and thought the facility was fine or good enough. I was pretty appalled by SDDC Stadium. Pretty clear the city/team had put no money into it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Some bowl projections from ESPN:

SDCCU Holiday Bowl
SDCCU Stadium, San Diego
Bonagura: Washington vs. Boston College
Schlabach: Arizona State vs. North Carolina

Fenway Bowl
Fenway Park, Boston
Bonagura: Pittsburgh vs. SMU
Schlabach: Boston College vs. Memphis

I find it hard to believe they're playing Bowls this year beyond the CFP.

Holiday Bowl 100% wont be at SDCCU/Jack Murphy

I don't think they are supposed to demolish it until early next year. One last ride?

It's been demolished currently. Was in bad shape 5 or so years ago when I went to a game there for work.

Given our recent Bowl history, BC is the perfect team for the Holiday Bowl.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:58 am

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Sounds like the retro unis are here to stay and are becoming the standard home and away sets.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 pm

Why is Levy getting more carries than Bailey?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Why is Levy getting more carries than Bailey?

Last year I thought Levy was under utilized, this year I think they are using him too much.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:54 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:50 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:34th in the Coaches poll.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... ches-poll/

Well, win 2 of the next 3 and I’m sure we’ll be ranked.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby xu9697 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Why is Levy getting more carries than Bailey?

Last year I thought Levy was under utilized, this year I think they are using him too much.

Pretty sure the Garwo and Bailey fumble issues are leading to Levy getting a lot more time.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Cuse is a 2 pm game (can't ever remember one of these) on NESN.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Cuse is a 2 pm game (can't ever remember one of these) on NESN.

YES network in the NY area. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:34th in the Coaches poll.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... ches-poll/

Well, win 2 of the next 3 and I’m sure we’ll be ranked.

At 6-3? I'm glad you are sure but I'm not sure of anything.

I'm happy they are 4-2.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:07 pm

garwo had surgery this week, hope is he can return later in year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm

i didn't know this was a thing and i'm only about 5 minutes in but so far it's really well done

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:05 pm

BC/ND got the 6 day ABC/ESPN hold.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Hafley's biggest cheerleader is without a doubt Herbstreit:

https://twitter.com/BCFootball/status/1 ... 7644899330
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Hafley's biggest cheerleader is without a doubt Herbstreit:

Every OSU fan I know tells us we got a great coach. Contrast that with how happy Temple fans were to have Daz off their hands.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:43 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Hafley's biggest cheerleader is without a doubt Herbstreit:

Every OSU fan I know tells us we got a great coach. Contrast that with how happy Temple fans were to have Daz off their hands.

Same. I have a couple of dyed-in-the-wool Buckeye fans who think the guy is a defensive genius. They view him as the D's version of Day and were LIVID that tOSU didn't make him the highest paid assistant in all of sports.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:25 am

Guess the ppl that are following us are now migrating to tiktok. Helps with the recruits, and I'll go further and can make the assumption that they ain't the vanilla AF tweets Daz's staff used to send out annoyingly the last couple of yrs.

https://twitter.com/bgreenberg96/status ... 0404044800
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:40 am

Go to where the recruits are. Good strategy.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 pm

https://theathletic.com/2196272/2020/11/13/boston-college-jeff-hafley-notre-dame/

How Jeff Hafley and Boston College are making the best of an unusual 2020 season.

There has been a preseason paintball outing and an end-of-week Wiffle ball tournament, a season-opening Powerade bath and some Friday night card games. There has been a new coach and a new coach’s boss, two milestone changes playing out amid a pandemic that threatened to upend this whole experiment before it even started. There has been the damn-near perfect discipline that has allowed it all to continue unabated, too.

Through it all there has been a football season at Boston College, a very fun one, to hear every person from this 5-3 outfit tell it. It reaches its biggest stage Saturday at home against the No. 2 team in the country, Notre Dame, two weeks after an exhausting battle with the then-No. 1 team in the country, Clemson. It’s the ninth game in nine weeks for an operation that has made up for lost time by simply deciding not to worry about it and make the best of this situation.

“I remember standing up in the indoor in our fieldhouse and guys were spaced out with masks on and still not knowing (if they would play),” Hafley said by phone of his first face-to-face meeting with the entire 2020 roster, back in June. “It was a really cool feeling to sit face-to-face with the players and the staff and to be around them in person again. Yeah, I have a vivid memory of that.”

It didn’t get much easier for the coach who had planned on having an open-door policy, who had hoped to regularly dine with players in his office and create as intimate of an environment as humanly possible. The Eagles have made the collective decision, though, to not take themselves too seriously.

(And here we pause, acknowledging the severity with which this program has approached this pandemic, which is the only way that a group of 100-plus folks can take nearly 6,500 COVID-19 tests in the past four and a half months and have just a single one, back in June, show up positive.)

What has happened since the ACC gave the green light to play has been one of the surprise stories in college football. No first-year Power 5 head coach who has coached more than one game this season has a better winning percentage than Hafley’s (.625). BC has been an underdog of two touchdowns or more three times, but it took two of three to the final play, not that the message in the locker room has changed much based on result.

“We’ll get better, too,” Hafley emphasized after a 20-point pasting of favored Duke in the opener.

“Truthfully, did we play great today?” he asked his players — No! — after beating Pitt. “No, but it shows you what we can do.”

“We don’t take it as a moral victory, we take it as something we could build off,” defensive end Brandon Barlow said after nearly upsetting Clemson. “We could get even better going forward.”

Now comes Notre Dame, which did to Clemson what BC almost did, and in doing so was able to turn the volume down on what could have been an exhausting storyline (at least for the visiting Irish) surrounding the quarterback matchup.

Everyone knows that Phil Jurkovec signed with Notre Dame as one of the most decorated quarterback prospects of the 2018 class. Everyone knows that he will lead BC against Notre Dame in Alumni Stadium as one of the most prolific quarterbacks of the 2020 season, leading the ACC in passing yards (2,083).

Jurkovec has made no bones about how his happiness level had sunk in South Bend, when he backed up Ian Book, who enters this duel coming off the best performance of his career. That the pandemic-induced, re-worked ACC schedule netted Jurkovec a face-off with his old comrades just two months into his new job as BC’s starter is a juicy storyline.

“There’s a lot of great things about Notre Dame, the school, just how much they win, the culture of it, the players; there’s a lot of good people there, there really is,” Jurkovec said this week. “But for me football was really changing for me. I was debating about switching positions because I don’t think I could have done another year just sitting on the bench. I had to go play somewhere. I was really down. I was basically on the brink of not playing quarterback, so at that point I was just talking to my family. They’re like, ‘You have to go somewhere to play.’”

Said Hafley: “I got such a good feel for him and his family. I just felt like he was a kid who needed some love in his life, needed some confidence in his life and needed a new, clean slate and a shot. And you combine that with Frank Cignetti, who I think is one of the best quarterback coaches in the country, and I just think it was the perfect fit for Phil at the perfect time. He just keeps getting better.”

This is Boston College’s annual Red Bandanna Game, and this is the Holy War. But emotions — and history, for anyone familiar with 1993 — will only take BC so far. This stretch, this season, this year, has been unforgiving. The week of the Clemson game, Hafley recognized the physical and mental fatigue in his players and staff. He pushed morning activities back a half-hour, telling all to sleep in. He shortened up periods, stressing efficiency above all.

And he relied on Patrick Kraft, whom he calls a “football guy,” the athletic director who came over from Temple in early June, and who was once a walk-on linebacker at Indiana.

“I think you’ve got to get out of what you assume, or what you’re used to, the norm,” Kraft said. “The push and pull is so drastically different now. Little things like making it easy for them to have food and access to food. Giving them a dinner and rewarding them for the incredible job they’ve done with COVID, being so successful there.

“(Hafley’s) done a great job of kind of taking the NFL approach, right, of backing off, letting their legs rest and listening to the players and letting them be a part of the process.”

It probably caught up to them last week at Syracuse, where they followed up their fight at Death Valley with a mere three-point win against a last-place team.

Again, the postgame message kept with the theme of this run, a run that was supposed to be a feeling-out period between staff and players that has thus far defied convention.

“Will we get better?” Hafley asked his guys. “Hell yeah, we’re gonna get better! But you’re 5-3. I love you guys. Understand that right there.”

Jack M.
2h ago
It's great to have a real coach in lieu of Addazzio.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Alright 5-4.

t the beginning of the season I said they would likely finish 5-6. I still think that is likely, but 6-5 is very possible. They have a shot at splitting the last two games. I am not displeased with the way Hafley has coached this year. He seems to have gotten the most out of marginal players in the most difficult season BC has played since 1995. And its entirely possible that this season was even tougher than the 1995 season.

For the first time in a long time, I have real hope for a BC team to actually be competitive for more than winning 7 games. Hafley appears to recruit quite a bit better than meathead ever did. And recruiting is everything.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:28 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Alright 5-4.

t the beginning of the season I said they would likely finish 5-6. I still think that is likely, but 6-5 is very possible. They have a shot at splitting the last two games. I am not displeased with the way Hafley has coached this year. He seems to have gotten the most out of marginal players in the most difficult season BC has played since 1995. And its entirely possible that this season was even tougher than the 1995 season.

For the first time in a long time, I have real hope for a BC team to actually be competitive for more than winning 7 games. Hafley appears to recruit quite a bit better than meathead ever did. And recruiting is everything.

The last two teams we play have a combined 5 wins...7-4 is very achievable.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Javian Hawkins just opted out too, that’s good news for us. I imagine the wheels are very close to coming off the bus for Louisville this season. A lot of teams with not so good records are fairly close to completely giving up. Tough to keep players focused on this weird season with nothing to play for. That’s one place where Hafley deserves a lot of credit.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Javian Hawkins just opted out too, that’s good news for us. I imagine the wheels are very close to coming off the bus for Louisville this season. A lot of teams with not so good records are fairly close to completely giving up. Tough to keep players focused on this weird season with nothing to play for. That’s one place where Hafley deserves a lot of credit.

A normal, non-COVID schedule and I think Hafley has 8/9 wins in his first season:

W – Syracuse
W – Ohio
W – at Kansas
W – Purdue
L – Clemson
W – Louisville
L – at Virginia Tech
W – Holy Cross
L – at NC State
W – at Florida State
L – North Carolina
W – at Wake Forest

I put NC State as an L, but thats a toss up that I think we would win getting him to 9.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:33 am

Considering that we all knew how meh the defense was going into the season, I'm pleasantly surprised that the team could possibly get 8 wins from the new schedule. And to those who said this team would be WAAAAAAY worse if Daz stayed/Grossel was the QB...you would be 100% correct.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

A normal, non-COVID schedule and I think Hafley has 8/9 wins in his first season:

W – Syracuse
W – Ohio
W – at Kansas
W – Purdue
L – Clemson
W – Louisville
L – at Virginia Tech
W – Holy Cross
L – at NC State
W – at Florida State
L – North Carolina
W – at Wake Forest

I put NC State as an L, but thats a toss up that I think we would win getting him to 9.

Wake as a W? They might have scored 70 on us.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Yeah I hope you are correct. We'll see.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium