Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am

Also its funny if Camp stays at Michigan. Takes the sting out of not bringing him here if he ever really was an option.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Also its funny if Camp stays at Michigan. Takes the sting out of not bringing him here if he ever really was an option.

Rutgers just named some re tread as DC so it looks like Camp burned them.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Also its funny if Camp stays at Michigan. Takes the sting out of not bringing him here if he ever really was an option.

Robb Smith looks like he would personally know some of our new staff. Camp was using both BC and RU to get more $$ from Michigan.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Camp was using both BC and RU to get more $$ from Michigan.

From what I understand... Campanile loves BC and wanted to come back but delayed his decision over concerns of burning Harbaugh after one season. Camp is someone who acts very deliberately and takes a long time to make career decisions. Schiano tried to get him even before Hafley was hired. Once BC came calling, Schiano came back with big money. When BC took Lukabu, I figured Camp took the ridiculous offer and ran. However, after I posted that, I was told that Camp NEVER asked for a dime more from BC and was really focused instead on his career path. BC folks were convinced that he wasn't going to RU and would likely stay at Michigan. As I understand it, Camp never told BC no... just wasn't yet ready to commit. So, BC politely moved on instead of waiting.

Regarding the guy we hired... Tem Lukabu... Rutgers apparently thought very highly of him but thought there was zero chance that he would come back to college (in any capacity beyond Head Coach). RU folks were shocked that he agreed to join Hafley. Further, Rutgers folks are pissed at Dailey landing at BC. Underwood is getting paid next to nothing, but they considered Dailey as a potential back-up at OC if they missed out on Gleeson. As an aside, Schiano allegedly is obsessed to the point of distraction over what Hafley is building at BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:From what I understand... Campanile loves BC and wanted to come back but delayed his decision over concerns of burning Harbaugh after one season. Camp is someone who acts very deliberately and takes a long time to make career decisions. Schiano tried to get him even before Hafley was hired. Once BC came calling, Schiano came back with big money. When BC took Lukabu, I figured Camp took the ridiculous offer and ran. However, after I posted that, I was told that Camp NEVER asked for a dime more from BC and was really focused instead on his career path. BC folks were convinced that he wasn't going to RU and would likely stay at Michigan. As I understand it, Camp never told BC no... just wasn't yet ready to commit. So, BC politely moved on instead of waiting.

Regarding the guy we hired... Tem Lukabu... Rutgers apparently thought very highly of him but thought there was zero chance that he would come back to college (in any capacity beyond Head Coach). RU folks were shocked that he agreed to join Hafley. Further, Rutgers folks are pissed at Dailey landing at BC. Underwood is getting paid next to nothing, but they considered Dailey as a potential back-up at OC if they missed out on Gleeson. As an aside, Schiano allegedly is obsessed to the point of distraction over what Hafley is building at BC.

confirming what i heard and bc met what camp was looking for $ wise. he waffled and bc wasn't willing to wait
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:From what I understand... Campanile loves BC and wanted to come back but delayed his decision over concerns of burning Harbaugh after one season. Camp is someone who acts very deliberately and takes a long time to make career decisions. Schiano tried to get him even before Hafley was hired. Once BC came calling, Schiano came back with big money. When BC took Lukabu, I figured Camp took the ridiculous offer and ran. However, after I posted that, I was told that Camp NEVER asked for a dime more from BC and was really focused instead on his career path. BC folks were convinced that he wasn't going to RU and would likely stay at Michigan. As I understand it, Camp never told BC no... just wasn't yet ready to commit. So, BC politely moved on instead of waiting.

sounds like the saint is losing his shit just a month or so into it.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Camp was using both BC and RU to get more $$ from Michigan.

As an aside, Schiano allegedly is obsessed to the point of distraction over what Hafley is building at BC.

This part I don't get. But whatevs. We still need to fill TE, and I assume that one of the staff will take the ST coach position in addition to whatever duties that coach has.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Thamel reporting Camp off to the Dolphins.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1217621320915128321?s=21
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Maybe for TE coach? Or one of those Quality Control positions?

https://www.shubigred.com/sports/m-foot ... s?view=bio

Also, he's followed by Beekman on twitter:
https://twitter.com/coach_matos?lang=en
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Maybe for TE coach? Or one of those Quality Control positions?

https://www.shubigred.com/sports/m-foot ... s?view=bio

Also, he's followed by Beekman on twitter:
https://twitter.com/coach_matos?lang=en

Do we have QC positions? I think we could def use them especially with Hafley being a first time head coach.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As an aside, Schiano allegedly is obsessed to the point of distraction over what Hafley is building at BC.

This part I don't get. But whatevs.

I don't have color here but can imagine why Schiano is sensitive. Hafley was on his staff at RU and Tampa and Schiano is probably competitive/jealous of the success his former pupil has had. In particular, HCRD basically fired Schiano and hired Hafley to replace him. It is widely rumored that Schiano really wanted the BC job (much more than a return to RU) and his interest in Rutgers waxed and waned depending on his view as to the possibility that Daz would be fired and whether he would be the prime target. So, after Hafley took Schiano's job at tOSU, he then goes on to take Schiano's preferred head coaching job at BC. Hafley (on the other hand) probably views Schiano's influence as somewhat diminished when put in context with that of all his other experiences (Wannestedt, Shanahan, Chudzinski, etc). Top it all off with them being in the same region, BC traditionally fishing well in Jersey waters and some hangover from the old Big East days.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As an aside, Schiano allegedly is obsessed to the point of distraction over what Hafley is building at BC.

I don't have color here but can imagine why Schiano is sensitive. Hafley was on his staff at RU and Tampa and Schiano is probably competitive/jealous of the success his former pupil has had. In particular, HCRD basically fired Schiano and hired Hafley to replace him. It is widely rumored that Schiano really wanted the BC job (much more than a return to RU) and his interest in Rutgers waxed and waned depending on his view as to the possibility that Daz would be fired and whether he would be the prime target. So, after Hafley took Schiano's job at tOSU, he then goes on to take Schiano's preferred head coaching job at BC. Hafley (on the other hand) probably views Schiano's influence as somewhat diminished when put in context with that of all his other experiences (Wannestedt, Shanahan, Chudzinski, etc). Top it all off with them being in the same region, BC traditionally fishing well in Jersey waters and some hangover from the old Big East days.

I can't wait to read your upcoming book on the psychological trials and tribulations of Schiano. There are world leaders who get less obsessive coverage than you give this guy.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

HJS is no doubt packaging dot connection as insider information, but this does make sense. Rutgers really only has one path to get out of the B10E basement and it requires punching about 1000 pound above weight in New Jersey. I think it is fair to say that traditionally there hasn't been a lot of overlap between RU recruiting and BC recruiting even though both schools rely heavily on the state. Traditionally (like TOB era), BC has done a lot of its recruiting in the northern Catholic programs and Rutgers has had what success it had in central, shore region and south jersey mostly public schools. However, when Schiano had his most "success", it was mostly Spaz era BC/Jags second year and some of his best classes had top flight Bosco/SPP recruits that I'd suggest would have been BC recruits in other eras. I don't know that there are enough high level NJ recruits to rebuild the way he needs to if Hafley/Dailey are able to do some damage in North Jerz.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

I also recall that Schiano relied heavily on SoFla under-recruited kids. That was something that TOB had no answer for.

But I get the point, slipped my mind that Schiano had worked at Ohio State for 3 seasons.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I also recall that Schiano relied heavily on SoFla under-recruited kids. That was something that TOB had no answer for.

But I get the point, slipped my mind that Schiano had worked at Ohio State for 3 seasons.

He did recruit SoFla significantly. I recall they being some sort of billboard in the area promoting RU football. But, remember, he was coming from being the DC at U of Miami. So, his recruitment of the area certainly made some sense. I think a lot has changed since. First, he hasn't been in SoFla in over a decade. Second, with the development of UCF, USF, FIU and FAU... all those 2nd tier players that Schiano used to get when UM, FSU and UF passed now have many more options. In almost every way, Schiano's rebuild of Rutgers is significantly harder today than it was the first time around.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I also recall that Schiano relied heavily on SoFla under-recruited kids. That was something that TOB had no answer for.

He did recruit SoFla significantly. I recall they being some sort of billboard in the area promoting RU football. But, remember, he was coming from being the DC at U of Miami. So, his recruitment of the area certainly made some sense. I think a lot has changed since. First, he hasn't been in SoFla in over a decade. Second, with the development of UCF, USF, FIU and FAU... all those 2nd tier players that Schiano used to get when UM, FSU and UF passed now have many more options. In almost every way, Schiano's rebuild of Rutgers is significantly harder today than it was the first time around.

Also, Schiano held camps in South Florida which are not allowed anymore.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm

so BC's recruiting push is largely limited to the northern NJ private schools? nobody from [central] Jersey or further south, like the Philly burbs on the NJ side?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:so BC's recruiting push is largely limited to the northern NJ private schools? nobody from [central] Jersey or further south, like the Philly burbs on the NJ side?

Don't forget the ISL!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:07 am

Steve Shimko, assistant QBs coach for the Seahawks, former UGA and Rutgers, is TE coach.

Wondering which of these guys will recruit Florida/the south generally
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:14 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Wondering which of these guys will recruit Florida/the south generally

would being an assistant coach for a college/pro team in that region help in terms of being able to recruit players? eg, the DLine coach is from Houston (Good News), but since he played for Duke, would he be the one to recruit NC? i've always wondered how that part of recruiting worked.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Wondering which of these guys will recruit Florida/the south generally

would being an assistant coach for a college/pro team in that region help in terms of being able to recruit players? eg, the DLine coach is from Houston (Good News), but since he played for Duke, would he be the one to recruit NC? i've always wondered how that part of recruiting worked.

It doesn't hurt, but most of college recruiting is having relationships with local high school coaches in the region you are covering--especially for a school like BC, who is unlikely to be in on too many 4 or 5 star recruits, but can catch lightning in a bottle if a trusted contact tells them about a diamond in the rough type player that they can get in with before the baby rapists coming calling.

And I didn't say it before because I thought it was obvious, but in addition to the relationships with high school coaches you also need to be able to relate to/sell the kids on your school. My feeling there is that is something you either have or don't. There are a lot of young, inexperienced coaches who are still dynamite recruiters because they have the right personality. There are also long-time assistants who are not really very good at coaching their positions but they are dynamite recruiters (Brian Polian comes immediately to mind) because they have the right personality. There are also excellent, long time position assistants who are terrible recruiters because they don't have the personality or just hate the recruiting process. Those guys can thrive at a Baby Rapist school because others or the school itself can draw the recruits in--the legendary Joe Moore for whom the offensive line award is named was said to absolutely hate the recruiting process or kissing 17 year old ass--but he developed multiple Outland Trophy and NFL Hall of Famers at Pitt and Notre Dame during his career (It is hard to believe, but Pitt was a Baby Rapist school in the 70s and 80s) and he never made a home visit to any of them (Fralic, May, Grimm, Taylor, Ruddy or Heck). That would not work at a place like BC that needs all hands on deck.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

It doesn't hurt, but most of college recruiting is having relationships with local high school coaches in the region you are covering--especially for a school like BC, who is unlikely to be in on too many 4 or 5 star recruits, but can catch lightning in a bottle if a trusted contact tells them about a diamond in the rough type player that they can get in with before the baby rapists coming calling.

And I didn't say it before because I thought it was obvious, but in addition to the relationships with high school coaches you also need to be able to relate to/sell the kids on your school. My feeling there is that is something you either have or don't. There are a lot of young, inexperienced coaches who are still dynamite recruiters because they have the right personality. There are also long-time assistants who are not really very good at coaching their positions but they are dynamite recruiters (Brian Polian comes immediately to mind) because they have the right personality. There are also excellent, long time position assistants who are terrible recruiters because they don't have the personality or just hate the recruiting process. Those guys can thrive at a Baby Rapist school because others or the school itself can draw the recruits in--the legendary Joe Moore for whom the offensive line award is named was said to absolutely hate the recruiting process or kissing 17 year old ass--but he developed multiple Outland Trophy and NFL Hall of Famers at Pitt and Notre Dame during his career (It is hard to believe, but Pitt was a Baby Rapist school in the 70s and 80s) and he never made a home visit to any of them (Fralic, May, Grimm, Taylor, Ruddy or Heck). That would not work at a place like BC that needs all hands on deck.

This is where the consultant/analyst position could really help, allowing the position coaches more time to recruit by taking on some of the load with watching film and game-planning.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby durkcal on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:04 pm

I see what Haf is doing. He's hiring guys that he sees as under his own model - Young, smart guys that are hard working and hungry.

However, I had hopes for more with this staff. He came in with a lot of positive energy, and in college football coaching circles, you want to join the ship with some smooth sailing ahead. I think there were more proven recruiters in necessary hunting grounds that we could have had. Many were unemployed. Many still are. Many are and were on staffs that are sinking ships - Texas, Arizona, South Carolina, Nebraska, Miami, Vanderbilt, UCLA (we got one, albeit one that apparently doesn't recruit), Michigan State, Maryland, etc....

If I want to give Haf the benefit of the doubt that some of these position coaches are about to bust out with recruiting success, there is one glaring need that still looks VERY Concerning : WHO is going to recruit Florida?? If BC wants to move up the talent scale, we have to recruit Florida!! M Walker, Milano, M Harris, W Ray, J Simmons, Spiffy Evans, Anderson, Jeff Smith II - we've actually produced a lot of good football players from the sunshine state. It was the 2009-2011 period where we seemed to forget about the Sunshine State, and we know how that turned out.

Abdur Rahim was an A+ for me
Cignetti was a B+
Lukabu - C+ - not surprised by the hire, but just not impressed with what he has been around in terms of coaches. Not sure he adds much value to the table.

I think Gunnell, Dailey, Applebaum and Oghobasse could be really good developmental coaches. We need them to be strong recruiters. Gunnell has been gaining, but we need more from him. Oghobasse's lack of any recruiting success at UCLA is not impressive.

Duggan concerns me because he has SO much weight to carry in Ohio. I think he can outperform Brown, who was such a disappointment in recruiting. But that's not saying much.

Shimko is just green, and has contacts in NJ, where this staff is already overly strong.

I would have prioritized monster recruiters in Ohio and Florida over and above any other geography.

btw, all the attention paid to Rutgers on this board is weird. They're a low ceiling program that is not even in our conference. I pretty much never recall seeing a kid that we're competing hard for from outside of NJ that chooses Rutgers. And some of the really top notch NJ kids like say Vanover and Moten from this year, they chose Penn State and Michigan.

Michigan moving recruiting attention West or South and away from the NE would , I believe, be at least as impactful to our recruiting win % as anything going on within the SUNJ.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I see what Haf is doing. He's hiring guys that he sees as under his own model - Young, smart guys that are hard working and hungry.

However, I had hopes for more with this staff. He came in with a lot of positive energy, and in college football coaching circles, you want to join the ship with some smooth sailing ahead. I think there were more proven recruiters in necessary hunting grounds that we could have had. Many were unemployed. Many still are. Many are and were on staffs that are sinking ships - Texas, Arizona, South Carolina, Nebraska, Miami, Vanderbilt, UCLA (we got one, albeit one that apparently doesn't recruit), Michigan State, Maryland, etc....

If I want to give Haf the benefit of the doubt that some of these position coaches are about to bust out with recruiting success, there is one glaring need that still looks VERY Concerning : WHO is going to recruit Florida?? If BC wants to move up the talent scale, we have to recruit Florida!! M Walker, Milano, M Harris, W Ray, J Simmons, Spiffy Evans, Anderson, Jeff Smith II - we've actually produced a lot of good football players from the sunshine state. It was the 2009-2011 period where we seemed to forget about the Sunshine State, and we know how that turned out.

Abdur Rahim was an A+ for me
Cignetti was a B+
Lukabu - C+ - not surprised by the hire, but just not impressed with what he has been around in terms of coaches. Not sure he adds much value to the table.

I think Gunnell, Dailey, Applebaum and Oghobasse could be really good developmental coaches. We need them to be strong recruiters. Gunnell has been gaining, but we need more from him. Oghobasse's lack of any recruiting success at UCLA is not impressive.

Duggan concerns me because he has SO much weight to carry in Ohio. I think he can outperform Brown, who was such a disappointment in recruiting. But that's not saying much.

Shimko is just green, and has contacts in NJ, where this staff is already overly strong.

I would have prioritized monster recruiters in Ohio and Florida over and above any other geography.

btw, all the attention paid to Rutgers on this board is weird. They're a low ceiling program that is not even in our conference. I pretty much never recall seeing a kid that we're competing hard for from outside of NJ that chooses Rutgers. And some of the really top notch NJ kids like say Vanover and Moten from this year, they chose Penn State and Michigan.

Michigan moving recruiting attention West or South and away from the NE would , I believe, be at least as impactful to our recruiting win % as anything going on within the SUNJ.

Who are “monster recruiters” in Ohio and Florida?

Also was Spiffy Evans a good player?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Matt Thurin officially in as ST coordinator. Assistant from tOSU
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Matt Thurin officially in as ST coordinator. Assistant from tOSU

Same hometown as "Swiggert", no? Maybe he and Duggan will be all up in OH.

Whatever happened to recruiting in ATL? Myles Willis was from there, as were some other guys, during the Daz era.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:02 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Matt Thurin officially in as ST coordinator. Assistant from tOSU

Whatever happened to recruiting in ATL? Myles Willis was from there, as were some other guys, during the Daz era.

It’s really hard for BC to get into Georgia.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:48 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

Al Washington recruited ATL well for BC and it has fallen off since he left. Antoine Smith had it the last few years and did nothing. I hope it will pick up again under Haf. Considering Taylor Goodson was one of Hafley's first flyers, I assume they will be back in ATL soon.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:54 pm

To echo what others have said, for a place like BC, recruiting territories don't really matter. If it is Houston or Anchorage, what matters is 1. does the coach have relationships there 2. Is there enough talent in the area to justify BC's time there 3. can the coach connect with recruits. Brian White, for all his faults, recruited Florida really well for BC and a lot of that was leveraging his relationships. Hamp Cheevers lived in a small town right near Gainesville but Florida never even invited him to camp, but the High School coach told White he could play. Look at Cincy. That has produced a lot of talent for three decades under various recruiters, yet Ricky Brown -- who is from the area -- struck out.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby basselope on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:39 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

Yes, Matt is a great guy and coach and excellent recruiter.
We have known him since he was a HS player for our LEPS.
Excited for him and for BC.
basselope
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium