Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 am

2013CommAve {l Wrote}:Any one have info on JMU's scheme?

Its not Kurt from JMU. It's his brother Frank from Green Bay. BC923 later specified.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

I'm guessing Kitna and Kobay got the word over the weekend.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:53 am

I'd take Schiano and Gleeson over Hafley and Cignetti. There... I said it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I'd take Schiano and Gleeson over Hafley and Cignetti. There... I said it.

What's done is done. Are you "In?" Or are you "Out?"
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I'd take Schiano and Gleeson over Hafley and Cignetti. There... I said it.

I'm surprised you are not happy with the Cignetti hire since he spent a year at your beloved Rutgers.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:08 am

Yeah... I’m also done with the manufactured “get in” slogan as well.
Fucking win... that’s a much better slogan.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:16 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

I'm surprised you are not happy with the Cignetti hire since he spent a year at your beloved Rutgers.

He’s a 54 year old boring OC who has runs a staid system. The RU guys actually like him. They say he’s a good recruiter and excellent with Xs and Os. I just think it’s a very safe, uninspired move.

Cignetti wasn’t his first choice as OC. He’s likely the third choice. Not bad as fall back... but concerning that a newly hired up-and-coming head coach was striking out left and right. With word out there that Hafley is missing out on his first choice DCs (Washington and Campanile)... it’s a troubling trend.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

He’s a 54 year old boring OC who has runs a staid system. The RU guys actually like him. They say he’s a good recruiter and excellent with Xs and Os. I just think it’s a very safe, uninspired move.

Cignetti wasn’t his first choice as OC. He’s likely the third choice. Not bad as fall back... but concerning that a newly hired up-and-coming head coach was striking out left and right. With word out there that Hafley is missing out on his first choice DCs (Washington and Campanile)... it’s a troubling trend.

Agreed. Any idea who the top choices were for oc?
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 am

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:Agreed. Any idea who the top choices were for oc?

Scott Turner and Kevin O’Connell
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Both of those guys are candidates for an NFL OC position that is still open. Not sure them not deciding to come coach at BC during the interviewing process can really be chalked up as a loss. That seems unreasonable to me.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:trust feldman when it comes to evaluation of coaches. not surprising a veteran with overlap at pitt and i'm sure hafley's mentor wannstedt vouched for him.

making age generalizations here but probably want to go younger, recruiting guru as DC

Oof... Cignetti is not a strong hire as OC. With Scott Turner or Kevin O'Connell, you could bill it as some sort of new generation OC. Cignetti is like hiring Todd Fitch. I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't such a critical position for a new HC who hasn't had any experience on the offensive side of the ball.

Fitch is arguably better. Just got hired as Vanderbilt OC.

Really hope he can get Camp in as DC.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 pm

If we miss out on Camp, it will be the fastest the wheels have come off any good will train ever.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Both of those guys are candidates for an NFL OC position that is still open. Not sure them not deciding to come coach at BC during the interviewing process can really be chalked up as a loss. That seems unreasonable to me.

One of them is likely to get the Redskins job. The other is likely not going to be an NFL OC. So, if either was someone identified during the interview process (and at least one was), why not wait until Rivera makes his decision. Is there some sort of requirement to announce the OC before the National Championship game?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:14 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:If we miss out on Camp, it will be the fastest the wheels have come off any good will train ever.

Daz's wheels came off before his press conference. But, yes... Hafley's honeymoon of infallibility will be very short-lived.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Cignetti may not light the world on fire, but hasn't one thing we learned the past 10 years is that the HC really dictates the offense approach? If he can recruit, sell kids on the NFL pedigree and think of something other than run, run, jet sweep, punt, he'll be fine.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Cignetti may not light the world on fire, but hasn't one thing we learned the past 10 years is that the HC really dictates the offense approach? If he can recruit, sell kids on the NFL pedigree and think of something other than run, run, jet sweep, punt, he'll be fine.

Unless the rest of the staff is strong, I worry about their ability to get players given cignetti is a bit of a retread and Hafley doesn’t have offensive experience.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Cignetti may not light the world on fire, but hasn't one thing we learned the past 10 years is that the HC really dictates the offense approach? If he can recruit

That is all I care about.

All Osborne and Nebraska did in 1994 and 1995 was run, run, run, and Tom beat 5 different teams ranked in the top 10 in 1995 and pummeled Florida for the national championship. It wasn't the plays. It wasn't the scheme. It was just the Cornhusker players (two of whom were "alleged" rapists, literally) being stronger, faster, and more athletic than everyone else in all of college football (better than everyone else on both sides of the ball.)

Sell. Close. Always be closing.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:31 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Cignetti may not light the world on fire, but hasn't one thing we learned the past 10 years is that the HC really dictates the offense approach? If he can recruit, sell kids on the NFL pedigree and think of something other than run, run, jet sweep, punt, he'll be fine.

Unless the rest of the staff is strong, I worry about their ability to get players given cignetti is a bit of a retread and Hafley doesn’t have offensive experience.

My concern about Cignetti is that he was so poorly thought of that he wasn't employed by anyone at any level last year. I don't know how you go from not getting paid for year to coordinator at a Power 5 school... but, there you have it. I guess Gary Tranquill was the last to pull it off.

Again... I question the rush to hire him unless Hafley exhausted all other bridges (which is troubling).
Last edited by HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Cignetti may not light the world on fire, but hasn't one thing we learned the past 10 years is that the HC really dictates the offense approach? If he can recruit

That is all I care about.

All Osborne and Nebraska did in 1994 and 1995 was run, run, run, and Tom beat 5 different teams ranked in the top 10 in 1995 and pummeled Florida for the national championship. It wasn't the plays. It wasn't the scheme. It was just the Cornhusker players (two of whom were "alleged" rapists, literally) being stronger, faster, and more athletic than everyone else in all of college football (better than everyone else on both sides of the ball.)

Sell. Close. Always be closing.

This post amuses me. I’m in the car driving so I will let someone critique it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:37 pm

On the bright side, maybe we are paying him like $200k and will re-deploy the dollars we saved by hiring a coach with no other interest to bring in coaches other schools actually want. If we paid this retread market rate for a Power 5 coordinator, then this reeks of cronyism and paying back friends (instead of trying to win).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:

My concern about Cignetti is that he was so poorly thought of that he wasn't employed by anyone at any level last year. I don't know how you go from not getting paid for year to coordinator at a Power 5 school... but, there you have it. I guess Gary Tranquill was the last to pull it off.

Again... I question the rush to hire him unless Hafley exhausted all other bridges (which is troubling).

You may be right that Hafley is struggling to fill out his open coaching positions. And that would be troubling.

I didn't "get in" when he was hired. So I am not "getting out" either. I am for giving him a chance. We have no idea how good or bad Hafley will be. Everything depends on recruiting. If Hafley does no better than Addazio or :spaz3 in that regard, I will not be "getting in" at anytime. Lets wait and see.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:On the bright side, maybe we are paying him like $200k and will re-deploy the dollars we saved by hiring a coach with no other interest to bring in coaches other schools actually want. If we paid this retread market rate for a Power 5 coordinator, then this reeks of cronyism and paying back friends (instead of trying to win).

I believe it’s both. But then again that’s what coaching is today.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:57 pm

if this is a bad hire why does feldman think it's a good one? does he hate bc or something?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:if this is a bad hire why does feldman think it's a good one? does he hate bc or something?

If this is such a good hire, why was Cignetti out of work for so long?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

One of them is likely to get the Redskins job. The other is likely not going to be an NFL OC. So, if either was someone identified during the interview process (and at least one was), why not wait until Rivera makes his decision. Is there some sort of requirement to announce the OC before the National Championship game?

I have no idea whether the Redskins job is the only job those two would consider better than the BC job and I don't know whether the one who doesn't get it won't get another NFL OC job and I don't know whether a lesser title like NFL QB coach is more or less desirable to the loser of the Redskins coordinator job nevermind whether there are other college programs that would be more likely to get the Redskins job loser (whether or not they currently have a vacancy).

It is one of like three dozen possibilities that Hafley could have waited to hire whichever of Turner/O'Connell Rivera doesn't hire, but didn't want to wait and hired Cignetti instead.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:if this is a bad hire why does feldman think it's a good one? does he hate bc or something?

If this is such a good hire, why was Cignetti out of work for so long?

maybe he was trying to find himself.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Did someone on here tell us a few weeks ago we were getting Cignetti?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:13 pm

I like Feldman but he seems to think all coaches are great
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Did someone on here tell us a few weeks ago we were getting Cignetti?

Corners said Cignetti and Washington would be the coordinators.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17564&p=520130&hilit=cignetti#p520130
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Absolute buzzkill. If the rumors were true that Hafley made demands of Jarmond, and Jarmond went to the BOT to meet those demands, and then we end up with Cignetti.... who wasn’t even working....that’s a fucking joke.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium