Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby Thornton Melon on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:23 pm

With Turner ending up in Washington and O'Connell looking like he's getting another NFL OC gig - I'm not as annoyed that Hafley didn't close his preferred choices at OC.

I think Cignetti is a mediocrity that's rode his father's brand name into a bunch of jobs that haven't stuck but his pedigree is enough it isn't going to hurt us on paper. Ultimately as we've learned, if the HC handcuffs the OC, doesn't really matter how good they are or are not (see Day, Ryan).
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:With Turner ending up in Washington and O'Connell looking like he's getting another NFL OC gig - I'm not as annoyed that Hafley didn't close his preferred choices at OC.

I think Cignetti is a mediocrity that's rode his father's brand name into a bunch of jobs that haven't stuck but his pedigree is enough it isn't going to hurt us on paper. Ultimately as we've learned, if the HC handcuffs the OC, doesn't really matter how good they are or are not (see Day, Ryan).

Can a guy who went 17-27 at WVU in the mid-70s and then coached at IUP for twenty years really have enough brand name to lead to his son getting 4 P5 OC jobs (plus Fresno) and a couple of NFL OC jobs?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

In all seriousness, S&C coaches are the most important hires a head coach makes.
The NCAA allows them the most contact year round with the players (even in the offseason) so you need a guy that knows what the fuck he is doing. I'm pretty sure everything funnels through them as a result: workouts, conditioning, strength program, etc. I like the fact we got a guy at a big time program like tOSU.

Herbstreit and Brian Hartline both tweeted positive comments about him
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:With Turner ending up in Washington and O'Connell looking like he's getting another NFL OC gig - I'm not as annoyed that Hafley didn't close his preferred choices at OC.

I largely agree. There isn't a coach in the world who passes on an NFL coordinator gig to be a coordinator in college. What I don't like is the feel that Cignetti was a safe fallback. I wish he went with a bolder option (as were his first two choices). That said, I am confident that Cignetti will be given free reign to implement his offense (for better or worse).

I do not like that we lost Camp to Schiano's checkbook. That bothers me. However, as I posted yesterday, I'm excited Haf went with another young, up-and-coming coach (instead of a safe fallback). If you want to look on the bright side, you could say that Hafley recovered well after his best laid plans fell a part.

For the rest of the staff, I really would like to expand outside the Schiano coaching tree. Between Fleck and the PatronSaint, there is little fruit left.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 am

sean duggan will be LB coach, was working at ohio state last season
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:sean duggan will be LB coach, was working at ohio state last season

Nice to get an alum back who has been away at some different programs
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:sean duggan will be LB coach, was working at ohio state last season

Grad asst at tOSU, LB coach at Hawaii for 2 years before that
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Sean Duggan will be added to the staff I bet. Was with Hafley this year at OSU and would be a great recruiter for the state of Ohio and of course at St. X. Can sell the kids on playing with Keeks in HS through college. Wouldnt mind him as a LB coach.

Nailed this one
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Sean Duggan will be added to the staff I bet. Was with Hafley this year at OSU and would be a great recruiter for the state of Ohio and of course at St. X. Can sell the kids on playing with Keeks in HS through college. Wouldnt mind him as a LB coach.

Nailed this one

was he not good enough for the patron saint?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:06 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:

Nailed this one

was he not good enough for the patron saint?

Patron saint offered more money but Duggan has taken a vow of poverty as a true Jesuit.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 pm

Marc Colombo's job with the Cowboys as OL coach is apparently in jeopardy, as McCarthy has yet to retain him.

https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/1214978936939196418

from Bridgewater Mass, 2 year starter at BC, 10 year NFL vet, OL Coach for 2 years for one of the best lines in the league. would be a great get if Cowboys go a different direction.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:57 pm

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:Marc Colombo's job with the Cowboys as OL coach is apparently in jeopardy, as McCarthy has yet to retain him.

https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/1214978936939196418

from Bridgewater Mass, 2 year starter at BC, 10 year NFL vet, OL Coach for 2 years for one of the best lines in the league. would be a great get if Cowboys go a different direction.

would be a great get.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:Anyone have any idea how lukabo is supposed to have been as a recruiter when he was in college?

Poor. His 2019 247 sports ranking was 19.06. I believe that put him lowest on Miss State staff. And below BC guys like Trautwein, Brown and Lewis (not exactly the Hafley's, Locksley and Cristobal of the world)

2018 , he was 15.18. Again, Low.

He's ascended to Coordinator. And while I don't love the hire, people have to understand that coordinators, as a general rule, do not have nearly as much time and responsibility for recruiting. If you really love a guy's recruiting output, you want them as a position coach. If you want them at Coordinator, it's because they can design and install a great system. Such system will ideally be easy to sell for all the monster recruiters you hired as position coaches. Rinse and repeat.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:02 pm

I do think Hafley could have hit more of a home run on his coordinators if the 49ers were not on the path to the Super Bowl. That being said, I don't understand all the negativity to Cignetti. He looks like a solid hire to me (Mike McDaniel and Moorhead are only possibilities I thought of that I would prefer). We've badly needed a QB guru for a long time. And he's only 54. It's not like he's 68 or something. I think his career movements have been dictated by hitching himself to coaches where their star diminished - Fisher, McCarthy, McAdoo. When he joined all those coaches, they had much higher perception in the profession. He probably feels fortunate to attach himself to Hafley, who should be a rising star in the more patient college world.

There are many seriously bad NFL coaches and teams that Cignetti could have alternatively worked for - Steve Wilks Arizona, Hue Jackson Cincinnati, Gus Bradley Jacksonville, Vance Joseph Broncos . Cignetti worked on solid staffs in the NFL. It's just a highly impatient league where they throw crap against the wall. He also chose wisely to join Fisher in 2012 with the Rams over joining Schiano in Tampa Bay, lol. The Rams were basically a .500 team in 2012/13, while Schiano's TB team stunk out loud.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 pm

At some of Cignetti's college stops, they had decent records when he was there as QB coach or OC.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:10 am

Don't know whether Gunnell will be retained or not, but seems to me he missed a real opportunity in the bowl game to ace a job interview. Stepping back and letting White call the same old tired and quickly apparent ineffective game plan doesn't reflect well on him. Yeah it was just one meaningless bowl game, but that is exactly why he might have used it to make a splash, rather than the thud it was.

Beyond that, I don't think Ricky Brown did anything to warrant further consideration. Cut him loose. Next to QB development, ST was maybe the next worst continuous weakness in the Addazio era.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:49 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:Don't know whether Gunnell will be retained or not, but seems to me he missed a real opportunity in the bowl game to ace a job interview. Stepping back and letting White call the same old tired and quickly apparent ineffective game plan doesn't reflect well on him. Yeah it was just one meaningless bowl game, but that is exactly why he might have used it to make a splash, rather than the thud it was.

Beyond that, I don't think Ricky Brown did anything to warrant further consideration. Cut him loose. Next to QB development, ST was maybe the next worst continuous weakness in the Addazio era.

I'll personally drive Ricky Brown to anywhere but BC based on the play of his Special Teams unit.

That bowl game was one of the worst coached teams I've ever seen. A LB almost took a handoff from our QB. With that said, I think the WRs have improved under Gunnell so I hope he sticks around.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 pm

New DB coach is UMass DC Aazaar Abdul-Rahim

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aazaar_Abdul-Rahim

Interesting story, and apparently a great recruiter of the DC/Maryland/VA area.

OC/QB Cignetti
DC Tem
LB Duggan
DB Aazar

Still a decent amount of spots to fill.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:10 pm

3 yrs with Maryland as well. Decent pickup.

I contacted a recent UMass grad acquaintance and he said:
"Odd move his defense wasn’t great but he is a legit recruiter and DB coach"
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:3 yrs with Maryland as well. Decent pickup.

Recent UMass grad acquaintance said:

Spent 2-3 years under Saban as well.
I have no worries about any of the defensive hires because of Halfey. The offensive side of the ball is where the hires have to be spot on.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:32 pm

I don't think it's an odd move. He's not here to be the DC. He's a position coach in a position where the HC specializes. So long as he can recruit, great.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I don't think it's an odd move. He's not here to be the DC. He's a position coach in a position where the HC specializes. So long as he can recruit, great.

I'm all for it. Just asked my friend for some insight. Anything info outside of the wiki entry, etc.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:Anyone have any idea how lukabo is supposed to have been as a recruiter when he was in college?

Poor. His 2019 247 sports ranking was 19.06. I believe that put him lowest on Miss State staff. And below BC guys like Trautwein, Brown and Lewis (not exactly the Hafley's, Locksley and Cristobal of the world)

2018 , he was 15.18. Again, Low.

He's ascended to Coordinator. And while I don't love the hire, people have to understand that coordinators, as a general rule, do not have nearly as much time and responsibility for recruiting. If you really love a guy's recruiting output, you want them as a position coach. If you want them at Coordinator, it's because they can design and install a great system. Such system will ideally be easy to sell for all the monster recruiters you hired as position coaches. Rinse and repeat.

He only coached for one year at Mississippi state. The article announcing his hire was from March 2018 and the article announcing his hire by the Bengals was February 2019. I'm not sure how he could have two years worth of recruiting ratings for one season. I think he is credited with a single three star recruit covering both years for some reason. It seems like kind of a flawed system for guys who aren't Locksley/Hafley top ten types.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 pm

The only thing I care about with respect to these hires is that Hafley is making them and not Jarmond.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:53 pm

That’s a massive hire from a recruiting perspective BC just became a massive player in the DMV he’s an ELITE recruiter.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm all for it. Just asked my friend for some insight. Anything info outside of the wiki entry, etc.

I guess it would be similar to Daz getting hired as say an OL coach at like Penn State and someone asking one of us what they thought of it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The only thing I care about with respect to these hires is that Hafley is making them and not Jarmond.

I'd prefer they also be good hires and not bad hires.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The only thing I care about with respect to these hires is that Hafley is making them and not Jarmond.

i'd prefer them to be GRAND SLAM HIRES
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

i'd prefer them to be GRAND SLAM HIRES

Puscadore talk.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:26 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
I guess it would be similar to Daz getting hired as say an OL coach at like Penn State and someone asking one of us what they thought of it.

I'm guessing you meant Trautwein. And yes, exactly that.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium