Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:Anyone have any idea how lukabo is supposed to have been as a recruiter when he was in college?

The one yr he was at Miss St as LB coach, they were ranked Top 25 in recruiting, 9th in the SEC (jfc).

Defense commits
4* SSDE
3* WDE
two 3* S
3* CB
two 3* ILB
two 3* DT

https://247sports.com/college/mississip ... l/Commits/
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:36 am

I have no idea what BC pays its assistant coaches, but I'll bet that it isn't the $800K Gleeson is reportedly getting from Rutgers, that rises to over $900K in year three of his deal. (Source: Football Scoop)

Assuming numbers relatively similar numbers were offered to Campanile, its no wonder that $$ might be why BC was not in the running in a bidding war between Michigan and Rutgers.

P.S. Sure glad I'm not a NJ taxpayer.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:07 am

I understand that Camp was offered comparable (possibly even more) money to Gleeson. Fran Brown and the DL coach also are making more than $400k per. Folks here laughed about Schiano, but he got what he wanted and is putting it to damn good use. The elite NJ talent is still going to be poached by the bigger programs. But, make no mistake... this is going to hurt the pools that BC tends to fish. Those next tier prospects that BC grabs will be harder to come by with a relevant Piscataway.

Hafley would do well diversifying the geographic contacts for the remainder of the staff.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 am

I love how everyone is giving up on a home run hire because they didnt get the OC and DC their mom's hairdresser told them they'd get and because the Patron Saint is going to steal the Evan Stewarts of the world and rip off 4 wins in the Big 10.

I dont know anything about these coordinators other than Cignetti was the QB coach for a Hall of Famer and is tight with a guy known for running a decent NFL offense. And neither do you.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love how everyone is giving up on a home run hire because they didnt get the OC and DC their mom's hairdresser told them they'd get and because the Patron Saint is going to steal the Evan Stewarts of the world and rip off 4 wins in the Big 10.

I dont know anything about these coordinators other than Cignetti was the QB coach for a Hall of Famer and is tight with a guy known for running a decent NFL offense. And neither do you.

this

if rutgers is willing to pay campanile 800k/yr they can have him
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:00 am

Auggie Hoffman accepted a job at Rutgers after 6 years at St Joseph’s in NJ
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Auggie Hoffman accepted a job at Rutgers after 6 years at St Joseph’s in NJ

That happened over the weekend. Schiano was after him for weeks. I was told he listened to a pitch to join Hafley's staff. All that said, I don't think we were offering a position coaching gig. However, those administrative roles are becoming more and more important.

My concern with Hafley is that he continues to miss out on his first choices. I'd also like to see him hire a coach that isn't from the Schiano coaching tree that Schiano passed on. Hafley was only with Schiano for a 3 years (one a RU and 2 in Tampa)... I'd love to see the other staffers be based upon connections from Chip, Shanahan and the like.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am

Damn, I was wrong. When it didn't happen in the first week, I was guessing it would take until February before HJS irreversibly turned on Hafley. For those who weren't around or have managed to forget, HJS hated Jags and Logan when they were at BC. This is what he does. Nothing is good, and nothing ever could be good unless they move the campus to New Jersey, slap an R on the helmet and hire His Holiness MRSA Patient Zero to coach the team.

Also, he might know people at Rutgers (gross), but if he tells you something about the inner workings of BC, he's either guessing wildly, or guessing slightly less wildly based on things other people said online.

That's all background for this: I encourage you to feel however you feel about the hires, but if you let HJS influence your opinion you're dumber than he is.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 am

So we are not retaining any of the current assistants? I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Gunnell, Trautwein (PED State) and maybe Brown.
How about Beekman and Rouse?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:35 am

Manny {l Wrote}:HJS hated Jags and Logan when they were at BC.

Prove it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:So we are not retaining any of the current assistants? I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Gunnell, Trautwein (PED State) and maybe Brown.

I thought we were keeping Gunnell and the Football Ops guys. Is that not happening?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I understand that Camp was offered comparable (possibly even more) money to Gleeson. Fran Brown and the DL coach also are making more than $400k per. Folks here laughed about Schiano, but he got what he wanted and is putting it to damn good use. The elite NJ talent is still going to be poached by the bigger programs. But, make no mistake... this is going to hurt the pools that BC tends to fish. Those next tier prospects that BC grabs will be harder to come by with a relevant Piscataway.

Hafley would do well diversifying the geographic contacts for the remainder of the staff.

Perhaps, but as it relates to Schiano you and your fellow Rutgers fans would do well to remember what Thomas Wolfe wrote, to wit, “You can’t go home again.” Schiano was a .500 coach the last time he was on the banks of the Old Raritan. Five-Hundred. In a Big East Conference that lost its best teams and a BC program that was certainly respectable. And while NJU has always been an athletic punchline (excluding the 1976 Final Four Team) they are no longer a joke playing an Eastern Independent or Big East schedule that nobody paid attention to or cared about. Now, their incessant string of embarrassments are nationally visible and nationally derided. At best Schiano, after what will undoubtedly be a couple more brutal seasons spent trying to grab the second-tier Jersey recruits you speak of, supplemented by some epic recruiting battles with FAU, USF and FIU for 3rd tier Florida talent, might claw his way past Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern and possibly Indiana and Illinois (both of whom have climbed from terrible to abysmally mediocre), but he ain’t getting past PSU, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa or Michigan State. My guess, when given the choice between finishing at best in 7th place in the Big 10 or getting a good education, and finishing 3rd or 4th in the ACC the Catholic school kids in North Jersey are still going to go to BC in respectable numbers.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am

Any idea on the timetable for the rest of the staff. Need some recruiters...
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:So we are not retaining any of the current assistants? I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Gunnell, Trautwein (PED State) and maybe Brown.

I thought we were keeping Gunnell and the Football Ops guys. Is that not happening?

No clue. Just thought we would have heard by now.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I understand that Camp was offered comparable (possibly even more) money to Gleeson. Fran Brown and the DL coach also are making more than $400k per. Folks here laughed about Schiano, but he got what he wanted and is putting it to damn good use. The elite NJ talent is still going to be poached by the bigger programs. But, make no mistake... this is going to hurt the pools that BC tends to fish. Those next tier prospects that BC grabs will be harder to come by with a relevant Piscataway.

Second this, with the hope that Hafley sets up recruiting areas based on the presence of Catholic high schools. I think we have to lean into that as our focus, our unique advantage relative to all programs save ND. Probably means rather than blanketing say Chicago or even Illinois, there's an assistant for Illinois, St. Louis, northern Indiana, & Iowa. That assistant focuses on the Catholic schools, and only hits non-Catholic ones if the player proactively expresses interest or there is some other compelling tip.

Same approach to areas such as:
* California,
* Dallas/Houston/SanAntonio/Austin/NewOrleans (as one area),
* Atlanta/Tampa/SouthFlorida.
* Philly/Baltimore/DCMetro (incl. NoVa, MoCo & PG Counties) albeit adding in non-Catholic schools with relatively heavy matriculation rates to BC amongst their non-football students,
* Southern Ohio (Columbus & Cincinnati), southern Indiana, Louisville Metro as another area.

Then try to mine NorthernOhio/Pittsburgh, NY/Northern NJ, and New England on a more traditional (regional) basis.

I don't know exactly how recruiting areas are set up. I'd just like to see BC invest recruiting money into travel budgets for the assistants to cast a broader geographic net so they can hopscotch from Catholic school to Catholic school, and compensate financially by only going to non-Catholics where those efforts are more likely pay off due to indicators of interest or an existing positive profile in those regions.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I hope this is the case. Brown's ST & recruiting efforts weren't that stellar. How much of that is Addazio vs. Brown?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:52 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love how everyone is giving up on a home run hire because they didnt get the OC and DC their mom's hairdresser told them they'd get and because the Patron Saint is going to steal the Evan Stewarts of the world and rip off 4 wins in the Big 10.

this

if rutgers is willing to pay campanile 800k/yr they can have him

I think it's probably true both that: 1) Rutgers has good reason to overpay coordinators; and 2) it would be potentially net bad if we did so. I'd still like to see us pony up, but I do think the circumstances are pretty divergent.

If Rutgers doesn't win in the first 2 years one could argue that they are facing a quick return to program hibernation and future investments in the program will be very hard to come by. The B10E is too good and it's not just one team unlike the ACC Atlantic. Maryland blows, but Indiana appears to be trying these days and playing tOSU, PSU, UM and MSU every year is brutal. Rutgers is facing severe ongoing economic problems, there is strife between faculty and athletics. They invested heavily in football pre-2012 with a stadium expansion, practice facility, etc., only to have it become clear it was all built upon a cult of personality and that Schiano's 2 replacements weren't up to the task. Schiano has never been a great gameday coach. He punched down on a minimally talented New Big East first relying heavily on Ray Rice and later on a foundation built upon earlier success. Since it is very easy to see 4 or 5 win seasons, if they don't come in and make a big recruiting splash immediately the bloom will leave the rose quite quickly. Overpays to Camp and Brown make it more likely that they'll have some early recruiting victories they can sell to the fanbase as hope. Gleeson *may* increase their competitiveness short term (although they need talent IMO).

On the other hand, I don't think Hafley should have all that much trouble achieving BC's accustomed level of recruiting classes in the 40s and crappy mediocrity in the Atlantic resulting in bowl games on the 26th or after New Years as a floor (or if he does, he's awful and nothing matters anyway). I'd be concerned therefore, in paying guys like Camp (who I'm not confident is actually a very good DC, but would almost certainly help with recruiting) 800K because if there wasn't a material increase in performance - and fan interest - I'd be concerned that the untimely overpay would make it less likely we'd overpay at a better time later. Like you can see, for example, the team improving to the 8 or 9 win level and either Lubaku (Assume he is responsible for part of the success) getting restless and that being the more important time to overpay than right now, or maybe there is actually opportunity to bring in a top flight OC after some good seasons early on.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:57 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wouldn't the coordinators logically come first? I'm not sure the Ops guy will even get much of an announcement.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:02 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wouldn't the coordinators logically come first? I'm not sure the Ops guy will even get much of an announcement.

Correct

If the ops guy referred to is joe sullivan i believe he's staying on

as for ricky brown, know he's an alum but the S/T were consistently bad (i was going to say atrocious but we had some good returners of late until this year)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 am

For those keeping score, it appears HomoJS may have started his own blog and twitter account called @RutgersOutsider. For being a Rutgers blog, he sure does talk about BC a lot.

I do not actually believe it to be HomoJS though it could be
Last edited by BCMurt09 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

Phil Matusz from tOSU is S&C
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am

i can't wait to hear how much better the rutgers s&c hire is than ours and how screwed we are now.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:58 am

In all seriousness, S&C coaches are the most important hires a head coach makes.
The NCAA allows them the most contact year round with the players (even in the offseason) so you need a guy that knows what the fuck he is doing. I'm pretty sure everything funnels through them as a result: workouts, conditioning, strength program, etc. I like the fact we got a guy at a big time program like tOSU.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am

I have no problem with any of the hires, and I am looking forward to the results on the field in the years to come. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

In all seriousness, S&C coaches are the most important hires a head coach makes.
The NCAA allows them the most contact year round with the players (even in the offseason) so you need a guy that knows what the fuck he is doing. I'm pretty sure everything funnels through them as a result: workouts, conditioning, strength program, etc. I like the fact we got a guy at a big time program like tOSU.

WRONG. Only recruiting matters. SELLING is what matters, Hansen. It always has.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Correct

If the ops guy referred to is joe sullivan i believe he's staying on

as for ricky brown, know he's an alum but the S/T were consistently bad (i was going to say atrocious but we had some good returners of late until this year)

Ricky Brown can leave (and should've weeks ago). He is a bad ST Coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:33 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have no problem with any of the hires, and I am looking forward to the results on the field in the years to come. :shrug

For the moment, on this one issue I agree with wang wholeheartedly. I am for giving everyone a chance. So +5
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have no problem with any of the hires, and I am looking forward to the results on the field in the years to come. :shrug

Imagine what this board would be doing if we had hired Joe Judge.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Phil Matusz from tOSU is S&C

Seems like a decent hire. Other than Rice's stretching routines, these guys' success usually is pinned to how they interact with the players. I think the hardass coaches screaming at guys in the gym has gone by the wayside and the current situation is a combination of motivation and knowledge (especially to customize workouts to individuals). I think Matusz's relative youth will likely serve him well.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium