BC vs. Alabama 1983 @ Foxboro

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC vs. Alabama 1983 @ Foxboro

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:48 pm

I was talking to this guy about Hafley and BC football and the conversation turned to a BC game at Foxboro in 1983 or 1984 that he had attended. Weather was cold and possibly freezing rain/snow. Opponent was from the SEC possibly LSU.
does anyone remember this game? details?

prize is 0 Adsense dollars.

I thought we played Alabama around that time. did we play LSU as well?
Last edited by hansen on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: trivia question (sort of)

Postby BCEagles06 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:55 pm

BCEagles06
n00b

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 pm

BCEagles06 {l Wrote}:Haven't played LSU since the 50's.

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/boston-college/vs/lsu

Thinking it was the 1983 game against Alabama. Can someone confirm the weather on that day was freezing rain or snow?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Thinking it was the 1983 game against Alabama. Can someone confirm the weather on that day was freezing rain or snow?

both
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:15 pm

It was Alabama and it was at Schaeffer stadium. It had snowed, then rained, then frozen in the cold, then iced, then snowed again. The Alabama fans came up in Winnebagos and several ran off the road all along the access roads from the highway to the stadium. Several shitty little passenger cars (baby poop orange Datsuns and such) accustomed to paved roads in Boston full of local Sullys also had gone off the road; a lot of the Sullys left them and walked in wearing things like sweatshirts and hats as the sky spewed frozen awfulness at everything.

The Alabama people thought they had traveled to the brink of the abyss.

Steve DeOssie was playing shirtless - just pads and jersey - and at one point, either after a play or maybe after halftime, he stopped in front of the Alabama bench, full of players wearing huge overcoats, and rubbed a bunch of frozen dirt and slop all over his belly while pointing at the Bama players. New England uncorked everything it had on the game. BC won but I dont remember the score.

The following year, BC played Alabama in Alabama. Bama had a running back named Kerry Goode, who was untouchable, stupid good. He scored five TDs in the first half, then broke his leg on the second half kickoff (WHY was that guy on kick coverage), didn't play again, and Alabama didn't score again. We beat them by a TD.

Good times. Transfer my AdSense dollars, hansen.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Flutie beat Alabama TWICE, 1983 and 1984. They won one game 38-31, the other game 20-13. The game in Foxborough was played in weather quite common in Juneau Alaska.

These were the games that made me a BC fan for life.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:53 pm

iirc the lights went out during the bama game at schaefer

and i was drinking the one beer to have when you're having more than one that day
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:It was Alabama and it was at Schaeffer stadium. It had snowed, then rained, then frozen in the cold, then iced, then snowed again. The Alabama fans came up in Winnebagos and several ran off the road all along the access roads from the highway to the stadium. Several shitty little passenger cars (baby poop orange Datsuns and such) accustomed to paved roads in Boston full of local Sullys also had gone off the road; a lot of the Sullys left them and walked in wearing things like sweatshirts and hats as the sky spewed frozen awfulness at everything.

The Alabama people thought they had traveled to the brink of the abyss.

Steve DeOssie was playing shirtless - just pads and jersey - and at one point, either after a play or maybe after halftime, he stopped in front of the Alabama bench, full of players wearing huge overcoats, and rubbed a bunch of frozen dirt and slop all over his belly while pointing at the Bama players. New England uncorked everything it had on the game. BC won but I dont remember the score.

The following year, BC played Alabama in Alabama. Bama had a running back named Kerry Goode, who was untouchable, stupid good. He scored five TDs in the first half, then broke his leg on the second half kickoff (WHY was that guy on kick coverage), didn't play again, and Alabama didn't score again. We beat them by a TD.

Good times. Transfer my AdSense dollars, hansen.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/26/sports/boston-college-wins-by-20-13.html

The subject was mistakes, and Ricky Moore, Alabama's junior fullback, could speak with authority, for he made the fumble that led to the winning touchdown by Boston College in a 20-13 victory today at Sullivan Stadium.

''We made critical errors at crucial times,'' said Moore, after the game in which Alabama fumbled six times and was intercepted once. ''We kept giving them the ball in places where you can't do it - near the goal line - and you can't do that against a good team.''

Alabama made a pair of crucial fumbles in the fourth quarter, twice setting up the Eagles for touchdown drives. Doug Flutie, the Boston College junior quarterback, followed the first of those errors with a 5-yard touchdown pass to Bob Biestek with 6 minutes 29 seconds to play, which tied the score at 13-13. Less than two minutes later, after Moore fumbled a handoff and Boston College recovered, Biestek crashed over from the 2-yard line for the winning touchdown.

''It's just a dream to play my last regular-season game against Alabama,'' said Biestek, a senior fullback from Meriden, Conn. ''I've always worshiped them.'' Will Play Notre Dame

Boston College, which finished its regular season with a 9-2 record, will wrap up its year Dec. 29 against Notre Dame in the Liberty Bowl at Memphis. It will be Boston College's second straight bowl appearance.

The Crimson Tide, 7-3 with a game left against Auburn, will face Southern Methodist in the Sun Bowl at El Paso Dec. 24. It will be Alabama's 25th straight bowl appearance.

But today, in a harsh wind, driving rain and raw temperatures, the Eagles appeared more bowl-fit than the Crimson Tide, losing only one of three fumbles and being intercepted once. Alabama lost four of its six fumbles.

''We made too many mistakes and turned the ball over too many times to beat anybody,'' said Ray Perkins, the former head coach of the Giants, in his rookie season at Alabama. ''That's not taking anything away from B.C. But it's tough when you turn the ball over like that, especially late in the game. That was the whole key right there.'' Alabama Takes Early Lead

Alabama took a 6-0 lead in the first half on Van Tiffin's field goals of 20 and 28 yards. The Eagles, unlike the Crimson Tide, chose to ignore the fierce weather and let Flutie, their dynamic passer, carry on as if sunshine enveloped the stadium.

But Flutie, even with respectable first-half statistics of 7 completions in 14 attempts for 114 yards, could never generate an intimdating passing game. Nonetheless, the Eagles were able to pull even by halftime when Steve Strachan smashed in on a 1-yard run with 22 seconds to go.

Walter Lewis, the Alabama senior quarterback, threw only twice in the first half. He underthrew his receiver the first time and was intercepted the next time.

''They didn't throw because of the conditions,'' said Jack Bicknell, the Boston College coach, who watched Flutie finish with 14 completions in 29 attempts for 198 yards, bringing his total this year to 2,724 yards and 17 touchdowns. ''The conditions for both teams were awful. We couldn't throw as much as possible, but we didn't want to go into a shell and say we couldn't throw the ball because of the weather.'' Key Fumble by Freshman

The Crimson Tide took a 13-6 lead with 4:20 to play in the third quarter, a period in which the national television audience lost its picture due to a 42 1/2-minute local power failure, when Anthony Smiley romped 58 yards with a blocked punt.

Then the Crimson Tide began a drive on its 18-yard line with 8:57 to play. But, on the second play from scrimmage, the freshman halfback Kerry Goode fumbled after a 10-yard run. Boston College's Dave Thomas recovered, and six plays later Flutie threw the 5-yard scoring strike to Biestek.

The Eagles then received the ball back on the Alabama 34-yard line only one play after the ensuing kickoff. Lewis and Moore, looking to keep running the ball up the middle, where Moore struck for most of his 109 yards, muffed their handoff. Steve Lubischer recovered for Boston College, and only 69 seconds later Biestek went in for the victory.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Great game but miserable conditions. We rode behind a car with Alabama plates all the way down Route 1. The weather was so bad we left at halftime and went to an apartment, had a few beers and watched the 2nd half on TV. The following year, the Alabama game was on the the night of my wife's sister's wedding. I couldn't get out of it as my wife was a bridesmaid, but i saw many of the highlights later. Troy Strafford had a great game.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Gentlemen, I was there. A fellow named Walter Lewis played QB for Alabama. It was just awful weather and the freaking lights went out. I was 11 or 12 and a nice lad.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Re: BC vs. Alabama 1983 @ Foxboro

Postby Los on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:49 am

Not for nothing, but WTF was Alabama doing playing BC in Foxboro on the last weekend of November? I guess scheduling philosophies were much different back then.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Los {l Wrote}:Not for nothing, but WTF was Alabama doing playing BC in Foxboro on the last weekend of November? I guess scheduling philosophies were much different back then.

the philosophy at bc was way different.

back then we were independent with a coach, ad, and president who all had a anyone, anywhere, anytime attitude about sports. They wanted to get bc into the national limelight and they were successful. we scheduled the top teams of the time like ped st, usc, bama, unc, tamu, pitt, tosu, etc. and we beat most of them.

i think now we have two out of three with jarmond and hafley. we need leahy to go away and hire a replacement that knows the difference between a football and a hockey puck, and understands the importance to your university of having successful athletic programs today.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Eh, any smart AD/Coach knows it doesnt make sense to overload your schedule with tough games in the modern bowl era. We'll probably keep the formula of MAC school/1AA punching bag/"peer school"/Random P5 school formula no matter who is here.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:Not for nothing, but WTF was Alabama doing playing BC in Foxboro on the last weekend of November? I guess scheduling philosophies were much different back then.

the philosophy at bc was way different.

back then we were independent with a coach, ad, and president who all had a anyone, anywhere, anytime attitude about sports. They wanted to get bc into the national limelight and they were successful. we scheduled the top teams of the time like ped st, usc, bama, unc, tamu, pitt, tosu, etc. and we beat most of them.

:81
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby kobenhavn on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm

I was there with my father and brother, both now deceased. I had just returned weeks earlier from 4 years in the Middle East which made the weather seem even colder. I drove up from Virginia for the game, my first time seeing Flutie live, I had seen a vhs tape of a BC game against Texas A&M some time previously, maybe 1981 or 1982, ironically watched that one with a Bama fan whose wife sent him football tapes to play on his VCR in the desert - VCRs being pretty rare at that time at least where we were. Lights in the stadium seemed to be out forever. My dad would never leave a game until the clock hit zero. Late in the second half stands in our part of the stadium were almost deserted. Alabama players clearly did not want to be out there in the second half. I remember the BC player in a cut off shirt rubbing snow on himself. Really the most memorable game I have attended for so many reasons.
kobenhavn
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:33 pm

We definitely need more whalepants threads here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:41 pm

I 100% love hearing these stories.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 pm

The unhappy version of this story is a 42-7 home loss to Army in a biblical deluge.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:01 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I 100% love hearing these stories.

this

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:26 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:The unhappy version of this story is a 42-7 home loss to Army in a biblical deluge.

it was actually 7-49 and luckily, I stayed home.
The 2005 Butler cheap-shot game was one of the rainiest games I have attended. It poured the next week for the Wake game but I skipped that.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:34 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:The unhappy version of this story is a 42-7 home loss to Army in a biblical deluge.

The 2005 Butler cheap-shot game was one of the rainiest games I have attended. It poured the next week for the Wake game but I skipped that.

what was the blowout game where the student section dudes stripped down to boxers and the chicks down to bras/tanktops in the upper deck? it was cold as fuck, maybe snowing; the stadium was pretty empty. im thinking it was somewhere around 1996 or 1997? anyone else remember this? I was predictably pretty drunk so my memory may be hazy here. I may have also brought this up before so if I did I blame the alcohol for not remembering.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Chris crane v Buffalo is the rainiest game I can remember.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:33 pm

There was a terrible rainy one in the dying days of TOB, against Virginia I think. It was warm though
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

what was the blowout game where the student section dudes stripped down to boxers and the chicks down to bras/tanktops in the upper deck? it was cold as fuck, maybe snowing; the stadium was pretty empty. im thinking it was somewhere around 1996 or 1997? anyone else remember this? I was predictably pretty drunk so my memory may be hazy here. I may have also brought this up before so if I did I blame the alcohol for not remembering.

Last game of the season in 1997 vs Army. We won, finished the season 4-8, but it was a hopeful and optimistic 4-8. The Hen's first season.

That was the year Mike Cloud ran for a stupid amount of yards on one of Nehlen's last WVU teams to open the season, and Cirino murderated a WVU player on a reverse and took the ball in for 6.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:04 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Last game of the season in 1997 vs Army. We won, finished the season 4-8, but it was a hopeful and optimistic 4-8. The Hen's first season.

That was the year Mike Cloud ran for a stupid amount of yards on one of Nehlen's last WVU teams to open the season, and Cirino murderated a WVU player on a reverse and took the ball in for 6.

Apparently, it wasn't a blowout. BC 24-20. Maybe I am misremembering key details here.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:14 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Apparently, it wasn't a blowout. BC 24-20. Maybe I am misremembering key details here.

Maybe there was a blowout, Blyhope style, but it had nothing to do with the game?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Apparently, it wasn't a blowout. BC 24-20. Maybe I am misremembering key details here.

Maybe there was a blowout, Blyhope style, but it had nothing to do with the game?

now THAT I would have remembered.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:43 pm

This is a long answer but Georgia and Oklahoma sued the NCAA in the early 80s to get freedom on the NCAA TV deal. The Big Ten and Pac Ten signed with ABC. The SEC, Big 8, SWC, Notre Dame, ACC and some of the Eastern Independents (like BC) formed the CFA for a tv deals. The CFA put together a lot of these matchups.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 pm

I believe BC is the only school in the nation with a winning record against Alabama...2-1 if I am correct.

I went to the BCS title game at the Rose Bowl when Bama beat Texas and sat next to a Bama nut and we talked about BC/Bama for the better part of the game, reliving all of the aforementioned stories. When down the list of Kerry Goode, Stradford, Doug, Kelvin Martin, Gieselman...great footage of the game and the '84 season can be found on the iconic VHS tape, "Why Eagles Soar." A must for any BC diehard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCExyGFkysc
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Question for whale pants: how did Bicknell ever get hired. I just looked at his record at Maine. It was terrible.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium