Bye Week Distraction Part Deux

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bye Week Distraction Part Deux

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Trivia Contest 6.0

Past Winners:
1.0 Campion
2.0 TRE
3.0 Notorious Orange
4.0 HolyCross87/Campion
5.0 AC/Campion

Overall Standings: 2 points for win. Annual Prize after 52.0-$94.94 store credit at BC Bookstore or a donation of similar amount to Herzy’s cause in the name of EO or the posters handle at their choice

1. Campion 6 points
2. TRE -2 points
2. NO- 2 points
2. HC87-2 points
2. AC-2 points

To win, the winner must provide the ENTIRE list of correct answers in one post. You may learn from the right/wrong answers from previous posters answers. I will not provide guidance on which answers are right/wrong but might provide hints. The winner gets to change 81’s avatar.

I have spoken with all the representative bowl committees and I will be instituting a BC Rule aka "THE SAINT CAMPION OF TRIVIA RULE". If 81declares a winner then a disputer must 1.have participated in attempting to legitimately answer the questions in a prior post and 2. file such dispute within one hour of the winner being declared, in order for the dispute to be considered. To win the dispute, the disputer must be correct in such dispute by providing verifiable evidence which 81 can fact check. The dispute post must include throwing the Flag :whiteflag as they do in the NFL thus declaring the dispute. Without a prior post attempting to answer the questions, the flag :whiteflag and without submitting the dispute within one hour then the declared winner stands. 81 is the final decision-maker of the dispute/winner.

1. The locally-born outfielder for the late 1960’s Red Sox who was beaned by a ball and seriously hurt. Name the player and his place of birth. Also, name the pitcher who threw the beanball and his team.

2. Name two Boston-related American born hockey players to have scored more than 500 goals in the NHL. Hint: One born in Boston and one went to BC.

3. Name the diminutive running mate to Sam “The Bam” Cunningham that played for
the Pats?

4. Name the famous equestrian and ringmaster born in Brookline that ran the National
Horse Show at MSG?
Hint His nickname is the same as a former Mayor of Boston and member of the
Fitzgerald/Kennedy clan. His last name when added to his
nickname makes him sound like a “Bond” girl.

5. What fighter gave Brockton’s Marvelous Marvin Hagler his long-awaited shot at
the Middleweight title? Who won the fight?

6. Who was “The Springfield Rifle” and where did he play his college basketball?

7. Who was the first BC hockey player to score 20 goals in a season?

8. Name the only linebacker in history to start in 5 Super Bowls.

9. Name the Division 3 Plymouth State N.H. star halfback that received votes for the
Heisman Trophy in the mid 1980’s?

10. What was the result of Larry Birds first shot attempt in the regular season as a
Celtic? Pick One: 2 points, 3 points, missed off backboard/rim, air ball.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Bye Week Distraction Part Deux

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I didn't read the post but do you know this isn't a bye week? We have a game on Sat.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:04 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I didn't read the post but do you know this isn't a bye week? We have a game on Sat.

True but we don't really don't focus on the game until later in the week.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:11 pm

This is not BC trivia it's some New Engand BS trivia, who cares?
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:This is not BC trivia it's some New Engand BS trivia, who cares?

It's always New England Trivia with some BC stuff mixed in. Not a new formula.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:19 pm

"Joe Dudek" is one of the answers.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Number one is pretty easy, Tony Conigliaro. He was from Swampscott, so I am going to say he was probobly born in either Swampscott or Lynn. I believe he still remains the youngest player to win the home run title at age 20 with 32 home runs. I once had an autographed baseball of Tony C from 1967 but did not put it in a case, and unfortunately it faded over the years so that eventually it became un readible. He was beaned by Jack Hamilton. One of the papers did an article about him a couple of years back, and he eventually wound up running a bar someplace. One can only speculate as to what might have been had Tony not been hit that day during the AL penant race of 1967.

Number 9 would be Joe Duceck, who played at Plymoth State.

On page 420 of the Denver Broncos' media guide is a chronological list of every 100-yard rushing performance by a Bronco. Near the top, Floyd Little and Otis Armstrong dominate the list. Down low, Terrell Davis is everywhere. Someplace near the middle, easily missed, is this line: JOE DUDEK...23-128, 2 TDS...OCT. 12, 1987 VS. L.A. RAIDERS.

The line's simplicity belies, at least in Dudek's eyes, a crowning moment. For one game, a 30-14 win over the hated Raiders, Dudek proved to himself that he had the goods to thrive in pro football. So what if it was a scab contest during an NFL strike? "That was my statement to the big boys," says Dudek. "I may have come from a small school, but I could play."

Eleven years later Dudek gets chills when he remembers cutting through the silver and black. He revels even more, however, in recalling that in 1985, as a 6'1", 195-pound senior running back at Division III Plymouth ( N.H.) State, he scored a college-record 79 touchdowns and, largely thanks to SI's Dec. 2 cover story, became a Heisman Trophy candidate. "I haven't been the same ever since," says Dudek, 35. "I'll always be remembered as SI's choice for the Heisman."

Truth be told, neither SI nor Dudek thought he had a real shot at winning the award. (He finished ninth, 1,453 votes behind winner Bo Jackson of Alabama.) The point was, small-college players such as Dudek, scrappy little guys with big hearts, deserve some attention too. Upon leaving Plymouth State after the '85 season, Dudek signed with the Broncos, who kept him on the taxi squad during '86. He was cut in training camp before the '87 season, but he came back to play in those two replacement games. Soon after, Denver let him go for good. "I've never been too disappointed," he says. "When I left high school, I was hardly recruited. I ended up being part of two Super Bowl teams." Not only that, but last August he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Dudek lives in Derry, N.H., and works as an account manager for Coors. He and his wife, Jodi, have a two-year-old son, Joey. Joe is finishing his college education, in business management, at Plymouth State. "I've had two great spans in my life," he says. "The first was that senior year of college, with the rushing records and the cover. The second, with the Hall of Fame and my family and my job, is right now."
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Number one is pretty easy, Tony Conigliaro. He was from Swampscott, so I am going to say he was probobly born in either Swampscott or Lynn. I believe he still remains the youngest player to win the home run title at age 20 with 32 home runs. I once had an autographed baseball of Tony C from 1967 but did not put it in a case, and unfortunately it faded over the years so that eventually it became un readible. He was beaned by Jack Hamilton. One of the papers did an article about him a couple of years back, and he eventually wound up running a bar someplace. One can only speculate as to what might have been had Tony not been hit that day during the AL penant race of 1967.

Number 9 would be Joe Duceck, who played at Plymoth State.

On page 420 of the Denver Broncos' media guide is a chronological list of every 100-yard rushing performance by a Bronco. Near the top, Floyd Little and Otis Armstrong dominate the list. Down low, Terrell Davis is everywhere. Someplace near the middle, easily missed, is this line: JOE DUDEK...23-128, 2 TDS...OCT. 12, 1987 VS. L.A. RAIDERS.

The line's simplicity belies, at least in Dudek's eyes, a crowning moment. For one game, a 30-14 win over the hated Raiders, Dudek proved to himself that he had the goods to thrive in pro football. So what if it was a scab contest during an NFL strike? "That was my statement to the big boys," says Dudek. "I may have come from a small school, but I could play."

Eleven years later Dudek gets chills when he remembers cutting through the silver and black. He revels even more, however, in recalling that in 1985, as a 6'1", 195-pound senior running back at Division III Plymouth ( N.H.) State, he scored a college-record 79 touchdowns and, largely thanks to SI's Dec. 2 cover story, became a Heisman Trophy candidate. "I haven't been the same ever since," says Dudek, 35. "I'll always be remembered as SI's choice for the Heisman."

Truth be told, neither SI nor Dudek thought he had a real shot at winning the award. (He finished ninth, 1,453 votes behind winner Bo Jackson of Alabama.) The point was, small-college players such as Dudek, scrappy little guys with big hearts, deserve some attention too. Upon leaving Plymouth State after the '85 season, Dudek signed with the Broncos, who kept him on the taxi squad during '86. He was cut in training camp before the '87 season, but he came back to play in those two replacement games. Soon after, Denver let him go for good. "I've never been too disappointed," he says. "When I left high school, I was hardly recruited. I ended up being part of two Super Bowl teams." Not only that, but last August he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Dudek lives in Derry, N.H., and works as an account manager for Coors. He and his wife, Jodi, have a two-year-old son, Joey. Joe is finishing his college education, in business management, at Plymouth State. "I've had two great spans in my life," he says. "The first was that senior year of college, with the rushing records and the cover. The second, with the Hall of Fame and my family and my job, is right now."

Thanks GG. Nice.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 pm

I think that there are actually two for Question Five.

Bill Romanowski and Charles Hailey
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:1. The locally-born outfielder for the late 1960’s Red Sox who was beaned by a ball and seriously hurt. Name the player and his place of birth. Also, name the pitcher who threw the beanball and his team.
Tony Conigliaro, Revere, Jack Hamilton, California Angels
2. Name two Boston-related American born hockey players to have scored more than 500 goals in the NHL. Hint: One born in Boston and one went to BC.
Keith Tkachuk & Joe Mullen
the Pats?
Mack Herron

4. Name the famous equestrian and ringmaster born in Brookline that ran the National
Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

5. What fighter gave Brockton’s Marvelous Marvin Hagler his long-awaited shot at
Vito Antuofermo, draw

6. Who was “The Springfield Rifle” and where did he play his college basketball?
Chuck Williams, Missouri State.
Bill Flynn and John Pryor both did it in '38-'39

Bill Romanowski

9. Name the Division 3 Plymouth State N.H. star halfback that received votes for the
Joe Dudek
10. What was the result of Larry Birds first shot attempt in the regular season as a
backboard/rim
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:09 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:1. The locally-born outfielder for the late 1960’s Red Sox who was beaned by a ball and seriously hurt. Name the player and his place of birth. Also, name the pitcher who threw the beanball and his team.
the Pats?
Mack Herron

Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

Vito Antuofermo, draw

Bill Romanowski

Joe Dudek
backboard/rim

Wow. I'm impressed AC. Only 2.5 wrong. You usually hang back and swoop in for the victory leveraging off others. I am truly impressed.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Hmmm...

1981Eagle wrote:1. The locally-born outfielder for the late 1960’s Red Sox who was beaned by a ball and seriously hurt. Name the player and his place of birth. Also, name the pitcher who threw the beanball and his team.
the Pats?
Mack Herron

Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

Vito Antuofermo, draw

Bill Romanowski

Joe Dudek
2 points
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:19 pm

There is no way that my first response was off by 2.5.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:There is no way that my first response was off by 2.5.

It still is off by 2.5. Sorry. Melrose is not Boston.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Me thinks I have Campion stumped on a few of these questions so he is laying back like a Cobra waiting to see if someone answers the few he can't so he can swoop in for the victory. Either that or he is drowning in squirt. Probably the latter. :shake :shake
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Hmmm...

1981Eagle wrote:1. The locally-born outfielder for the late 1960’s Red Sox who was beaned by a ball and seriously hurt. Name the player and his place of birth. Also, name the pitcher who threw the beanball and his team.
Jeremy Roenick & Joe Mullen
the Pats?
Mack Herron

Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

Vito Antuofermo, draw

Travis Best, GT
Bill Flynn. John Pryor did it as well in '38-'39

Bill Romanowski

Joe Dudek
air ball
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:45 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

the Pats?
Mack Herron

Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

Vito Antuofermo, draw

Bill Romanowski

Joe Dudek
2 points

You are down to two wrong. Think Springfield, Mass and the ACC.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

the Pats?
Mack Herron

Horse Show at MSG?
Clarence "Honey" Craven

Vito Antuofermo, draw

Travis Best, GT

Bill Romanowski

Joe Dudek
air ball
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

We have a declared winner. It is 10pmEST. Unless a valid protest is lodged within one hour then AC wins again.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Please move to Mary Ann's.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Please move to Mary Ann's.

Not yet Honey. We have to wait for the usual Campion rant protest. One more hour sweetie. xo. 81.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:We have a declared winner. It is 10pmEST. Unless a valid protest is lodged within one hour then AC wins again.

I actually worked for that one. Note to the MTBSC: I will take suggestions for 81's new avatar, but I think that the current one fits quite nicely. Suggestions from others are also welcome.

EndlessMike's suggestions will be given strong consideration.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:05 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:We have a declared winner. It is 10pmEST. Unless a valid protest is lodged within one hour then AC wins again.

I actually worked for that one. Note to the MTBSC: I will take suggestions for 81's new avatar, but I think that the current one fits quite nicely. Suggestions from others are also welcome.

You are also still welcome to a new sig. since I haven't heard from CAG yet.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:08 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I have repeatedly told you. I want this as your sig.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008 ... unburn.jpg

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:13 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I have repeatedly told you. I want this as your sig.

I have tried several times to load the previous ones. It does not work. I will try this one.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Does not work. Sorry. I copied it to my sig. Highlighted it. Hit Image and hit submit. This is the result. Can't you get something that works? Do I have to do everything around here? :suicide :gun
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Does not work. Sorry. I copied it to my sig. Highlighted it. Hit Image and hit submit. This is the result. Can't you get something that works? Do I have to do everything around here? :suicide :gun

How come I can do it?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

I just tried again. Are the instructions correct? Copy url to sig., highlight it, hit img, hit submit. That's what I have done several times. Me thinks you are jerking 81 and this is not the way to do it.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I just tried again. Are the instructions correct? Copy url to sig., highlight it, hit img, hit submit. That's what I have done several times. Me thinks you are jerking 81 and this is not the way to do it.

For some reason your image is being posted as
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}

How did you do that?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby shockdoct on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

With the permission of 81, I can fix this.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium