Hafley to BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:Let's make the whole team transgender. Some things are much more important than winning football games.

I don't have any coaching experience
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9556
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 am

Logitano wrote:
So is Jarmond trolling EO or confirming the power of the Nexus by so prominently displaying netjets? :ace


MJ's answers in that press conf suggest someone who is low-bullshit and not afraid of critical or difficult opinions. Whether or not he has actually read any of the posts here, he has clearly witnessed and acknowledged the slice of our fandom that casts the long shadow of the nexus.

What a breath of fresh air ...
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2126

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am

hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:
hansen wrote:The Eagle HC has landed in Chestnut Hill.

I think I'll wait for Dooder to start a thread before believing this.




this was really well done

nice to see it piss off some of the puscadore alums too
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18914
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3203

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:44 am

claver2010 wrote:nice to see it piss off some of the puscadore alums too


I missed this ... details?
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2126

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 am

TontoKowalski wrote:
claver2010 wrote:nice to see it piss off some of the puscadore alums too


I missed this ... details?


bitching about bc using a private jet

it not reflecting jesuit values, poor use of $ when people are spending $70k a year to go to bc, etc. etc. :roll:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18914
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3203

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby MrAwesomeII on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 am

Is there any confirmation that the pilots of the NetJets charter are trans? This is important because historically trannies are not flying a lot of planes and that is wrong. Keep them off the coaching staffs, but do put them in the cockpits.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 pm
Karma: -168

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:10 am

claver2010 wrote:
TontoKowalski wrote:
claver2010 wrote:nice to see it piss off some of the puscadore alums too


I missed this ... details?


bitching about bc using a private jet

it not reflecting jesuit values, poor use of $ when people are spending $70k a year to go to bc, etc. etc. :roll:

OMG... those are posts from folks who don't understand the importance of time. Those Warren-lovers view things like private jets as some sort of luxury... when it is more necessity given the constraints of time on busy people.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15289
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 433

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:47 am

ATLeagle wrote:
durkcal wrote:The staff I'd like to see is:

Chris Kiffin - DC (49ers pass rush specialist, Lane's brother! I think he would revitalize our pass rush and recruit well, Recruiting Coord at Ole Miss)
Mike McDaniel - OC/WR (49 ers Run game Coord, former NFL WR coach, He probably knows a ton about good offensive structure from Shanahan, but doesn't have chance to call plays there)
Antoine Smith - DL coach
Ricky Brown -ST/OLB
Matt Thurin - LB - (Def QC coach at Ohio State, from Ohio, has coached in Ivy league)
Phil Trautwein - OL
Eric Lewis - DB (Hafley will be for the most part coaching DB's anyway)
Katie Sowers - TE (First female coach in FBS football, BC is a trendsetter!)
Bobby Slowik - RB (49ers off asst)
Chandler Whittmer - QB (Ohio State grad asst, played QB at UConn)

There are a few other 49er coaches I would have interest in, and of course Al Washington. But I'll take Kiffin over Al

By the way, that Browns staff Hafley was on under Mike Pettine was awful. With the benefit of hindsight, a coaching staff tells you so much!!



There is a lot of dumb in this post, but keeping three staffers from the worst D in BC history might be the most glaring,

This. I hope Gunnell stays, but that’s about it.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 pm
Karma: 35

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby Thornton Melon on Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre. We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruiting a QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:36 pm
Karma: 10

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Thornton Melon wrote:Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre. We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruiting a QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.


I think you can be a heavy run team but you still need an accurate QB that can make simple passes and hit wide open receivers. If you can’t at least threaten throwing the ball down field or hit simple routes, then you aren’t going to win. We haven’t had that QB since Murphy.

P.s. I can’t even imagine what Dillon would have put for stats if he wasn’t running into 8,9,10 man boxes
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:00 pm

hansen wrote:
Thornton Melon wrote:Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre. We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruiting a QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.


I think you can be a heavy run team but you still need an accurate QB that can make simple passes and hit wide open receivers. If you can’t at least threaten throwing the ball down field or hit simple routes, then you aren’t going to win. We haven’t had that QB since Murphy.

P.s. I can’t even imagine what Dillon would have put for stats if he wasn’t running into 8,9,10 man boxes


Given our demographics, I think its hard for BC to "chase systems". The kids at the highest level of any system likely aren't going to come here; we do our best when we turn that narrative on its head and build around the best of the kids that are going to come here. Historically, numbers give us more chances to score higher with dropback passers; but even that's somewhat untrue, as both Ryan and Hasslebeck could scramble enough to accelerate outta problems (think of Ryan's scramble before hucking to Dre Cal in VT's end zone).

Besides, teams can be better than individual excellence at a position provided we have coaching. Which we haven't really had in eleven years or so.
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2126

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Thornton Melon wrote:Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre.


I don't think so.

Personally, I think it was more that Addazio never went better than 4-4 in the ACC in a single year. He was mediocre (at best), horrible at worst. He was never good, not in 7 years, probably not in 17 years either.

Running the ball (or should I say, never establishing a passing game) wouldn't have mattered if running the ball wins the games. Forget the Kansas disaster. If BC had beaten Wake Forest and Florida State this year (they should have) and had gone 6-2 in conference (that was possible given how shitty the Atlantic division was this year outside of Clemson) not only would Addazio NOT have been fired, the team would have finished 8-4, they would have finished at about 24th or 25th best in the country (which might be all Jarmond is looking for), and Addazio would have had his contract extended another year. I truly believe that.

Do not get me wrong. I'm happy that he is gone but not because Addazio never developed much of a passing game. I don't give a fuck if they never throw the ball in 12 games as long as they win all 12 of those games. In that sense, Addazio didn't get it done (and never did.) That is the reason why he is gone.

Thornton Melon wrote:We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruitinga QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.


FYP.

You are correct though. I totally agree. Everything is about recruiting. Lets hope that Hafley does a significantly better job in that department.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18030
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby StratEagle on Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
Thornton Melon wrote:Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre.


I don't think so.

Personally, I think it was more that Addazio never went better than 4-4 in the ACC in a single year. He was mediocre (at best), horrible at worst. He was never good, not in 7 years, probably not in 17 years either.

Running the ball (or should I say, never establishing a passing game) wouldn't have mattered if running the ball wins the games. Forget the Kansas disaster. If BC had beaten Wake Forest and Florida State this year (they should have) and had gone 6-2 in conference (that was possible given how shitty the Atlantic division was this year outside of Clemson) not only would Addazio NOT have been fired, the team would have finished 8-4, they would have finished at about 24th or 25th best in the country (which might be all Jarmond is looking for), and Addazio would have had his contract extended another year. I truly believe that.

Do not get me wrong. I'm happy that he is gone but not because Addazio never developed much of a passing game. I don't give a fuck if they never throw the ball in 12 games as long as they win all 12 of those games. In that sense, Addazio didn't get it done (and never did.) That is the reason why he is gone.

Thornton Melon wrote:We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruitinga QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.


FYP.

You are correct though. I totally agree. Everything is about recruiting. Lets hope that Hafley does a significantly better job in that department.


Exclusively running the ball without any threat whatsoever of the pass doesn't win games.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:04 pm
Karma: 193

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby 31southst on Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDwmoLGYh8
Interesting short interview with Jarmond that discusses an assistant pool and specifically letting the administration know that we need to show greater financial commitment if we want to achieve the goals we say we do.
31southst
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2593
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm
Karma: 168

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm

31southst wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDwmoLGYh8
Interesting short interview with Jarmond that discusses an assistant pool and specifically letting the administration know that we need to show greater financial commitment if we want to achieve the goals we say we do.



that was a really encouraging interview, thanks
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18914
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3203

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:47 pm

StratEagle wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
Thornton Melon wrote:Im so, so focused on the OC and QB coach. We really haven't had anything resembling passing game development in this program since Steve Logan.

For everything I hated about Steve Addazio, it was his refusal to develop a passing game that sunk him and will always make him mediocre.


I don't think so.

Personally, I think it was more that Addazio never went better than 4-4 in the ACC in a single year. He was mediocre (at best), horrible at worst. He was never good, not in 7 years, probably not in 17 years either.

Running the ball (or should I say, never establishing a passing game) wouldn't have mattered if running the ball wins the games. Forget the Kansas disaster. If BC had beaten Wake Forest and Florida State this year (they should have) and had gone 6-2 in conference (that was possible given how shitty the Atlantic division was this year outside of Clemson) not only would Addazio NOT have been fired, the team would have finished 8-4, they would have finished at about 24th or 25th best in the country (which might be all Jarmond is looking for), and Addazio would have had his contract extended another year. I truly believe that.

Do not get me wrong. I'm happy that he is gone but not because Addazio never developed much of a passing game. I don't give a fuck if they never throw the ball in 12 games as long as they win all 12 of those games. In that sense, Addazio didn't get it done (and never did.) That is the reason why he is gone.

Thornton Melon wrote:We need to develop passers in this program. It is not a coincidence that BC's run has been propelled by QB play from Foley to Hasselbecks to PP to Ryan - QB play that kept us in most games for years.

Everything is about recruitinga QB and putting in an offense that maximizes that position. You win nothing behind a running game in college football.


FYP.

You are correct though. I totally agree. Everything is about recruiting. Lets hope that Hafley does a significantly better job in that department.


Exclusively running the ball without any threat whatsoever of the pass doesn't win games.


Agreed. I'd say that is right 99% of the time. But Nebraska proved (TWICE in the mid 1990s) that you can not only win games (but national championships) doing nothing on offense other than running the ball.

That said, we just want to win. I don't think anyone here cares how it is done, so long as Hafley wins.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18030
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -20

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby billyshelby on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Based on things I've read and seen about Hafley, notably Sherman's comments, I think the thing I'm most excited about is he is obviously a guy who is going to watch an immense amount of tape. One of the things I got from interviews of players -- both OSU and the pros -- is that he builds bonds with players by showing them he's seen all their plays and then teaches off that. And since that's with every player, they realize very quickly he's deeply invested in them. Furthermore, he strikes me as a guy who actually knows how to look at tape and distill it. He's going to get buy in from the players right from the jump.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 am
Karma: 51

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:56 pm

claver2010 wrote:
31southst wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDwmoLGYh8
Interesting short interview with Jarmond that discusses an assistant pool and specifically letting the administration know that we need to show greater financial commitment if we want to achieve the goals we say we do.

that was a really encouraging interview, thanks

Going back to TOB, BC coordinators have always been paid quite well. Bible and Spaz... Logan and Spaz... McGovern and Martin... Brown and HCRD... Reid and Loeffler... Bajakian and Sheridan. I think the only drop-off might be for position coaches. That said, JB3 got paid... Paul P was one of the highest paid DL coaches around... I'm sure tenured guys like White and Leonard are paid. Look back over our history, our assistant coaches have mostly been excellent. It was only at the very last season of Spaz where things were getting questionable.

The BC is cheap think is more a meme than truth. The only time I think it is correct is when BC won't pay a coach to leave. Bottom line is that I think we are generally market rate on coaches... we can extend beyond that for a select few (e.g. I'm sure we'd pay up if Wannstedt wanted to leave the NFL booth). However, we don't always make the best hires and we won't pay-up to quickly move from a mistake.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15289
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 433

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 pm

HJS wrote:
claver2010 wrote:
31southst wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDwmoLGYh8
Interesting short interview with Jarmond that discusses an assistant pool and specifically letting the administration know that we need to show greater financial commitment if we want to achieve the goals we say we do.

that was a really encouraging interview, thanks

Going back to TOB, BC coordinators have always been paid quite well. Bible and Spaz... Logan and Spaz... McGovern and Martin... Brown and HCRD... Reid and Loeffler... Bajakian and Sheridan. I think the only drop-off might be for position coaches. That said, JB3 got paid... Paul P was one of the highest paid DL coaches around... I'm sure tenured guys like White and Leonard are paid. Look back over our history, our assistant coaches have mostly been excellent. It was only at the very last season of Spaz where things were getting questionable.

The BC is cheap think is more a meme than truth. The only time I think it is correct is when BC won't pay a coach to leave. Bottom line is that I think we are generally market rate on coaches... we can extend beyond that for a select few (e.g. I'm sure we'd pay up if Wannstedt wanted to leave the NFL booth). However, we don't always make the best hires and we won't pay-up to quickly move from a mistake.


maybe back in the day but i think it's clearly an area bc got lapped over the last decade.

how much do you think reid & crew were paid when brown left for michigan ($1 MM / year)?

edit: bc also really needs to up the academic support for athletes, which given the academic rigors the athletes go through is really unacceptable
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18914
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3203

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:44 pm

claver2010 wrote:maybe back in the day but i think it's clearly an area bc got lapped over the last decade.

how much do you think reid & crew were paid when brown left for michigan ($1 MM / year)?

edit: bc also really needs to up the academic support for athletes, which given the academic rigors the athletes go through is really unacceptable

We get lapped by LSU and Bama and Clemson and OSU and MIchigan. Sure. We lap Rutgers and Wake and Duke and Vandy and Cuse. I'm not sure where you are going with this. I never claimed BC would be the top paying program... but we sure as hell ain't the cheapest. We pretty much pay middle of the road in the Power 5. That's not what is advertised. It is always packaged that we pay like we are in the MAC... and that simply isn't the case.

As for academic support, BC has it institutionalized and it is the envy of most schools. If you are talking about a system that does the kids papers for them, that will never BC... nor should it be.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15289
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 433

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm

I’ll catch criticism for this but whatever.

I think people really need to manage their expectations in Year 1 here. Completely new coaches and system including a roster that was built to a very specific system (see having about 15 TEs on the roster). It’s also his first HC job.

I think they’ll come on strong at the end of the season, but I could see some major speed bumps early. This roster is constructed weirdly and there is a serious lack of pure talent on D, especially on the DL and DB.

Bruce Arians, 2x NFL Coach of the Year, started 2-6 this year before ripping off 5 of 6.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:43 pm

HJS wrote:
claver2010 wrote:maybe back in the day but i think it's clearly an area bc got lapped over the last decade.

how much do you think reid & crew were paid when brown left for michigan ($1 MM / year)?

edit: bc also really needs to up the academic support for athletes, which given the academic rigors the athletes go through is really unacceptable

We get lapped by LSU and Bama and Clemson and OSU and MIchigan. Sure. We lap Rutgers and Wake and Duke and Vandy and Cuse. I'm not sure where you are going with this. I never claimed BC would be the top paying program... but we sure as hell ain't the cheapest. We pretty much pay middle of the road in the Power 5. That's not what is advertised. It is always packaged that we pay like we are in the MAC... and that simply isn't the case.

As for academic support, BC has it institutionalized and it is the envy of most schools. If you are talking about a system that does the kids papers for them, that will never BC... nor should it be.


I think you under estimate how difficult it is to play D1 football and actually go to class.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:47 pm

eepstein0 wrote:I’ll catch criticism for this but whatever.

I think people really need to manage their expectations in Year 1 here. Completely new coaches and system including a roster that was built to a very specific system (see having about 15 TEs on the roster). It’s also his first HC job.

I think they’ll come on strong at the end of the season, but I could see some major speed bumps early. This roster is constructed weirdly and there is a serious lack of pure talent on D, especially on the DL and DB.

Bruce Arians, 2x NFL Coach of the Year, started 2-6 this year before ripping off 5 of 6.


There’s six TEs on the roster. There’s def some roster spacing issues but honestly a lot of this can be sorted out with transfers and redshirts if needed. I see 2 issues. The biggest roster one is the lack of talent at QB. Unless Sam Johnson is magically the answer, we really need a graduate transfer at the position. The other issue would be the defense but I’m hoping it will sort itself out with improved coaching and experience.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16984
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 pm

eepstein0 wrote:I think you under estimate how difficult it is to play D1 football and actually go to class.

I get it. But, I also refuse to buy into the "Majoring in Football" mentality that others are quick to accept. That is what has led us to a point where kids need to be paid because, when they go to a factory, they are enrolling in a minor league system. The contrarian view is that their athletic services are being sold when they sign an LOI. Those services are repaid with in-kind currency in the form of access to an education. Depending on the school chosen, that access to an education is significantly more valuable than whatever $50k a year number a union would put on someone's football time.

To further the point, look at the recent scandal where the rich and famous pissed away hundreds of thousands of dollars to get their underperforming kids into some schools. That is just gaining acceptance... then, they paid full freight and probably donated even more for the opportunity. If you were to use that at as a benchmark, to get an unqualified kid into a school like USC and then spend 5 years there... that is a market value of about $700k (or $140k). If they chose a school like Bama which had low cost of attendance and no upfront cost for acceptance, you are talking about selling your services for roughly $200k. Now, there is ancillary value with being famous because you are on a successful team. However, I am not terribly sure of the monetary worth of Tua's famous name if he is never able to play football again.

Anyway... that's my rant. I hate the constant "we need to pay athletes" nonsense. We do pay them... just not in cash. The fact that they tend to sell their services to the lowest bidder and then fail to reap any value from the in-kind transfer is simply poor decision-making. But, I guess, in today's political environment, poor decisions are handsomely rewarded.
“Look, Joe’s not all there, everybody knows it and it’s sad when you look at it and you see it, you see it for yourself. He’s created his own sanctuary city in that basement, wherever he is, and he doesn’t come out.”
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15289
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 433

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:19 pm

eepstein0 wrote:I’ll catch criticism for this but whatever.

I think people really need to manage their expectations in Year 1 here. Completely new coaches and system including a roster that was built to a very specific system (see having about 15 TEs on the roster). It’s also his first HC job.

I think they’ll come on strong at the end of the season, but I could see some major speed bumps early. This roster is constructed weirdly and there is a serious lack of pure talent on D, especially on the DL and DB.

Bruce Arians, 2x NFL Coach of the Year, started 2-6 this year before ripping off 5 of 6.


There was a time when a post like this would cause me to want to point out your microdick. That time is still now. You have micropenis.

That out of the way, the qb question mark is substantial, but otherwise the offensive roster is sound at all areas other than wr (where it’s lacking but not as bad as usual). OL should be great again, rbs very good.

It’s not that the defense doesn’t have talent issues, but it was clearly much better with mcduffie back and the better dBs and he along with all contributors but Karafa and bergerson (and I guess yeargin) are returning. It’s not unreasonable to expect some underclassman to step up on the DL (sillah, ness, bono?). I also imagine there’s much room for schematic improvement considering how poor sheridan seemed to be.

That being said, I don’t know what expectations should be next year.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14311
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 1728

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:32 pm

hansen wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:I’ll catch criticism for this but whatever.

I think people really need to manage their expectations in Year 1 here. Completely new coaches and system including a roster that was built to a very specific system (see having about 15 TEs on the roster). It’s also his first HC job.

I think they’ll come on strong at the end of the season, but I could see some major speed bumps early. This roster is constructed weirdly and there is a serious lack of pure talent on D, especially on the DL and DB.

Bruce Arians, 2x NFL Coach of the Year, started 2-6 this year before ripping off 5 of 6.


There’s six TEs on the roster. There’s def some roster spacing issues but honestly a lot of this can be sorted out with transfers and redshirts if needed. I see 2 issues. The biggest roster one is the lack of talent at QB. Unless Sam Johnson is magically the answer, we really need a graduate transfer at the position. The other issue would be the defense but I’m hoping it will sort itself out with improved coaching and experience.


QB is a mess, these WRs aside from Kobay are bad, the DL got nowhere near a QB and the secondary has a myriad of issues. Better coaching will help, but it may take some time to click.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:36 pm

eagle9903 wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:I’ll catch criticism for this but whatever.

I think people really need to manage their expectations in Year 1 here. Completely new coaches and system including a roster that was built to a very specific system (see having about 15 TEs on the roster). It’s also his first HC job.

I think they’ll come on strong at the end of the season, but I could see some major speed bumps early. This roster is constructed weirdly and there is a serious lack of pure talent on D, especially on the DL and DB.

Bruce Arians, 2x NFL Coach of the Year, started 2-6 this year before ripping off 5 of 6.


There was a time when a post like this would cause me to want to point out your microdick. That time is still now. You have micropenis.

That out of the way, the qb question mark is substantial, but otherwise the offensive roster is sound at all areas other than wr (where it’s lacking but not as bad as usual). OL should be great again, rbs very good.

It’s not that the defense doesn’t have talent issues, but it was clearly much better with mcduffie back and the better dBs and he along with all contributors but Karafa and bergerson (and I guess yeargin) are returning. It’s not unreasonable to expect some underclassman to step up on the DL (sillah, ness, bono?). I also imagine there’s much room for schematic improvement considering how poor sheridan seemed to be.

That being said, I don’t know what expectations should be next year.


BC gave up 59 to Clemson, 38 to a bad FSU offense and 40 to ND (with McDuffie). Pitt had a D2 offense. Even Saban can’t turn El Attrach, Palmer and Borgesen into good safeties.

This is going to take some time to click, then it’ll be beautiful.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Ryan Day said he would be shocked and surprised if Big Al wanted to leave for BC's D-coordinator job, but that he would support him if he did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqg9rYs7gwc
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:18 am

I expect 7-5 in year one. We definitely lack talent at critical positions, but the ACC is down and the OOC games are manageable. I think we will see substantial progress by year 3.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -346

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:23 am

Eaglekeeper wrote:I expect 7-5 in year one. We definitely lack talent at critical positions, but the ACC is down and the OOC games are manageable. I think we will see substantial progress by year 3.

Go Eagles!


We can't win 7, anything but 7.
User avatar
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9216
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: I am the Duke of New York
Karma: 1645

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Los and 10 guests

Untitled document