Birmingham Bowl

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Reverend Mike wrote:
eagle33 wrote:please remove grosel at halftime

"nobody could be worse than Chris Crane."


I laughed, but after nearly getting Zay killed a moment ago, perhaps it's better for the health of other players.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:01 pm

And we have moved to ESPNews! :banana
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -246

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 pm

BostonCollege1 wrote:
Logitano wrote:Didn't ESPN step in and shut this down last year?

The Gator Bowl starts at 7.

There is a tweet that they will to be back on the field by 4:45. I wonder if ESPN's cut off time is 5. :ace


No other games being broadcast on ESPNews tonight.


HJS-level of prognostication. :roll:
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Is this the worst performance of the season?
It sure feels like it to me.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Next year, let’s not start a walk-on at QB
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16761
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:14 pm

eepstein0 wrote:Next year, let’s not start a walk-on at QB


Let Grosel play baseball.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -246

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 pm

hansen wrote:Is this the worst performance of the season?
It sure feels like it to me.


Seems like the O-line's worst performance. Grosel may be very limited, but he's running for his life on almost every passing play.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:22 pm

I haven't watched a second of this but Kansas. Thanks in advance.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32516
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Fickell is a baby maker for not kneeling the ball up 25 with 1min on the clock.

hope we play that fucker in the near future (whoever he is coaching at the time) and beat the fuck out of them
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Cincinnati pulling their starters with 12mins left is a new low.
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8778
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 159

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:33 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:Cincinnati pulling their starters with 12mins left is a new low.


I agree, this game felt way worse than Kansas.
we couldn't do anything on the field. so hopeless, it felt like we were playing Clemson but instead it was some shitty team from a G5 conference
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Eagle1999 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Now I know why Leahy didn’t want to play Cincinnati.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Karma: 68

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 pm

hansen wrote:Fickell is a baby maker for not kneeling the ball up 25 with 1min on the clock.

hope we play that fucker in the near future (whoever he is coaching at the time) and beat the fuck out of them


This.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 71

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:42 pm

This is definitely the worst shucksing I can remember since UCF ran train on Spaz. Thankfully, the era of low-rent, goombah head football coaches is now blessedly over and one can hope that the institutional memory of the humiliations that follow putting greaseballs in charge of our football program is long.

And one last time, for good measure, fuck Daz. Fuck his greasy, incompetent, ketchup gargling, D3 quarterback developing, petulant, vindictive, Central Connecticut State intellect. Right. In. His. Fucking. Ear. I hope he goes 0-11 at Colorado State and he finishes his career as a gimp living in a box in Dan Mullen’s basement.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 504

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:17 pm

This was a precursor to year 8 of Daz. This is a total rebuild job on both sides of the ball. This is definitely not a RE-tool, but a major rebuild.

GO BC!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -346

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby flakes on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Eaglekeeper wrote:This was a precursor to year 8 of Daz. This is a total rebuild job on both sides of the ball. This is definitely not a RE-tool, but a major rebuild.

GO BC!


With the exception of WR (ironically), this might be least talent we’ve ever had at every position. Hafley has a tough job on his hands.
flakes
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 pm
Karma: -29

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 pm

hansen wrote:Fickell is a baby maker for not kneeling the ball up 25 with 1min on the clock.


He's pissed he wasn't offered the BC HC job. This was revenge.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18037
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -21

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm

angrychicken wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:If Hafley has full control, this game (and the way Rich Gunnell handles things) may determine if Rich Gunnell will have a job under Hafley's leadership.

Nope


Well, I only said "may determine." I don't know.

Does it even matter?
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18037
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -21

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:29 pm

flakes wrote:
Eaglekeeper wrote:This was a precursor to year 8 of Daz. This is a total rebuild job on both sides of the ball. This is definitely not a RE-tool, but a major rebuild.

GO BC!


With the exception of WR (ironically), this might be least talent we’ve ever had at every position. Hafley has a tough job on his hands.


I’ll take Hafley’s analysis for the program over you two... just sayin’
The offensive playcalling was abysmal... Team never had a chance to succeed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:54 pm

Also cincy fans (yes, they apparently exist) posting on the Twitter machine about how much we suck et cetera... Bunch of f a g g o t s.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 pm

hansen wrote:Also cincy fans (yes, they apparently exist) posting on the Twitter machine about how much we suck et cetera... Bunch of f a g g o t s.


Well, we do, unequivocally suck at football. Can’t really blame them for stating the obvious just as they could not blame us for pointing out they go to a fourth rate commuter school that churns out a steady supply of low middle management types who find themselves in the sad position of never making enough money to justify the student loans they had to incur to get their nearly useless degrees.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 504

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby mod6A on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 pm

it was wet and cold and it sucked.



:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
User avatar
mod6A
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3144
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 am
Karma: 439

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Logitano on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:55 am

hansen wrote:
Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:Wtf is up with the OL?


The BC OL was extraordinarily overrated (they got dominated against every good team we played) and Cincinnati is pretty good.

WTF did you honestly expect from this game? :ace


We didn’t play well that half. We are much better than what we showed.


How did BC look in the second half?

Your view of where BC football is and the reality of the program are not aligned. This defense is not a coach up situation. There is literally no talent on it.

The biggest lesson from this game is this is why you don't give a coach that one more year. Dazz was done really in 2015 but this rebuild should have started last year. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 1012

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby kobenhavn on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 am

Considering that BC finished mid pack in the ACC and was mostly competitive in the losses aside from Clemson, it is shocking how bad the conference was. A ten win season would have been possible with better coaching and a few breaks. Team would still have sucked and would still have been destroyed in a bowl, but in a better bowl at least. The only positive from last night is that it was an early game (2100 here) and even with the delay didnt keep me up all night. The Pats game Saturday will be an all-nighter here and probably as disappointing.
kobenhavn
n00b
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm
Location: Europe GMT+1
Karma: 24

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 am

Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:
Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:Wtf is up with the OL?


The BC OL was extraordinarily overrated (they got dominated against every good team we played) and Cincinnati is pretty good.

WTF did you honestly expect from this game? :ace


We didn’t play well that half. We are much better than what we showed.


How did BC look in the second half?

Your view of where BC football is and the reality of the program are not aligned. This defense is not a coach up situation. There is literally no talent on it.

The biggest lesson from this game is this is why you don't give a coach that one more year. Dazz was done really in 2015 but this rebuild should have started last year. :ace


I think we may have lucked into Hafley by waiting but Addazio was done the minute we lost to Florida State last year. Regardless of how much talent he brought in, he was always going to screw up games that he had in the bag.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 626

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:26 am

ATLeagle wrote:
Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:
Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:Wtf is up with the OL?


The BC OL was extraordinarily overrated (they got dominated against every good team we played) and Cincinnati is pretty good.

WTF did you honestly expect from this game? :ace


We didn’t play well that half. We are much better than what we showed.


How did BC look in the second half?

Your view of where BC football is and the reality of the program are not aligned. This defense is not a coach up situation. There is literally no talent on it.

The biggest lesson from this game is this is why you don't give a coach that one more year. Dazz was done really in 2015 but this rebuild should have started last year. :ace


I think we may have lucked into Hafley by waiting but Addazio was done the minute we lost to Florida State last year. Regardless of how much talent he brought in, he was always going to screw up games that he had in the bag.


The last 2 losses to FSU were an amazing disaster.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16761
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 am

BC's talent deficiency is magnified by no QB, the combination of no pass rushers and ISL safeties.

It's not a long fix for a guy that specializes in secondary play. He needs to find a QB stat. That alone can make them competitive with all but Clemson
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32516
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 am

twballgame9 wrote:BC's talent deficiency is magnified by no QB, the combination of no pass rushers and ISL safeties.

It's not a long fix for a guy that specializes in secondary play. He needs to find a QB stat. That alone can make them competitive with all but Clemson


Agree 100%
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17006
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -454

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am

Generally, there are two types of defensive back problems—kids that are young and need time to learn technique and scheme and kids that simply lack the athleticism to actually play the position. Coaching can have a major impact on the former, but can only make marginal improvements with the latter. Herein lies our problem. I see our woes as far more the latter than the former. The talent deficiency just seems massive and an issue that will only be cured by flushing those kids once you can backfill the positions with kids who aren’t CAA-level talent. And while I expect that Hafley will be able to coach them up both from a technique and scheme perspective, it would take a miracle for the secondary to be anything other than an endurable weakness.

The best thing that Hafley can do for our flaming tire fire of a defensive backfield is to get a good QB from the transfer portal and implement a competent ball control offense—you can run it out of the spread, but milk the clock. The longer you keep the defense off the field the longer you can hide our massive defensive deficiencies behind a good scheme.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 504

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:Generally, there are two types of defensive back problems—kids that are young and need time to learn technique and scheme and kids that simply lack the athleticism to actually play the position. Coaching can have a major impact on the former, but can only make marginal improvements with the latter. Herein lies our problem. I see our woes as far more the latter than the former. The talent deficiency just seems massive and an issue that will only be cured by flushing those kids once you can backfill the positions with kids who aren’t CAA-level talent. And while I expect that Hafley will be able to coach them up both from a technique and scheme perspective, it would take a miracle for the secondary to be anything other than an endurable weakness.

The best thing that Hafley can do for our flaming tire fire of a defensive backfield is to get a good QB from the transfer portal and implement a competent ball control offense—you can run it out of the spread, but milk the clock. The longer you keep the defense off the field the longer you can hide our massive defensive deficiencies behind a good scheme.


There's got to be some relatively talented grad transfers available out of conferences like Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc. who could step in and be an improvement.
User avatar
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 155

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 25 guests

Untitled document