Notre Dame Weak

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm

Logitano wrote:
BCMurt09 wrote:I thought Dick was a Notre Dame fan


From first hand knowledge he does want Backup College to win but is not terribly broken up should the Fighting French prevail.

Although there have been conflicting reports over the years concerning his loyalty during the infamous 2002 green jersey game.

One side said angrydick was wearing a green return to glory t-shirt, stated he wanted ND to win and tried to get on the field to tackle Josh Ott to stop him from scoring, the other side said, "no." :ace


True. I always root for my alma mater, even this year when it serves our long term interest for us to get slaughtered so that we don't show up for Pitt and Dazzler gets voted off the island. As for 2002, I watched the game with one of Little Hitler's former roommates in the 50 yard line seats that Skip gave me. I had bedded her the previous evening and felt like I owed it to her. As I celebrated the BC victory, I was booed loudly by the rich Notre Dame alums who surrounded me and Little Hitler's former roomie left in a huff to meet up with Little Hitler and the rest of the cast from the Slut Hut. With that accomplished I went to Chicago to meet up with the Bulemic Alcoholic, who you might remember as being a slam piece shortly before I started dating The Beak and you had that unfortunate incident at Dorian's Red Hand.

All that detritus aside, I try to be brutally honest about the strengths and weaknesses of all of my rooting interests.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 515

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Who’s going to the game?
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 523

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Logitano on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
Logitano wrote:
BCMurt09 wrote:I thought Dick was a Notre Dame fan


From first hand knowledge he does want Backup College to win but is not terribly broken up should the Fighting French prevail.

Although there have been conflicting reports over the years concerning his loyalty during the infamous 2002 green jersey game.

One side said angrydick was wearing a green return to glory t-shirt, stated he wanted ND to win and tried to get on the field to tackle Josh Ott to stop him from scoring, the other side said, "no." :ace


True. I always root for my alma mater, even this year when it serves our long term interest for us to get slaughtered so that we don't show up for Pitt and Dazzler gets voted off the island. As for 2002, I watched the game with one of Little Hitler's former roommates in the 50 yard line seats that Skip gave me. I had bedded her the previous evening and felt like I owed it to her. As I celebrated the BC victory, I was booed loudly by the rich Notre Dame alums who surrounded me and Little Hitler's former roomie left in a huff to meet up with Little Hitler and the rest of the cast from the Slut Hut. With that accomplished I went to Chicago to meet up with the Bulemic Alcoholic, who you might remember as being a slam piece shortly before I started dating The Beak and you had that unfortunate incident at Dorian's Red Hand.

All that detritus aside, I try to be brutally honest about the strengths and weaknesses of all of my rooting interests.


I miss the good times like in 2003 when I showed up an hour late to tailgate because I was with the general counsel's daughter and the Tijuana twister kicked the winning fg and that glorious night in 2008 where Little Hitler sat in the car for the second half, Skip put the BC post game show on at my request and Martin Luther said he had such a great day tailgating and hanging out he was ok with the outcome.

I also miss cutty mccutsalot the most. :ace
Logitano
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 872

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 pm

2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

I’ll be at the name tag event this weekend. Also will be taking in the Jints game vs the Bears so I can see the blood sport of Daniel Jones being snapped in half by Mack.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14188
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 236

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05 am

2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?


Domingo!
FREE KRAFT
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 131

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20 am

HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

I’ll be at the name tag event this weekend. Also will be taking in the Jints game vs the Bears so I can see the blood sport of Daniel Jones being snapped in half by Mack.


are you john mara? if not ask him how he feels about the dazzler if you'd like a 74 type meltdown
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17968
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3066

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 am

claver2010 wrote:
HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

I’ll be at the name tag event this weekend. Also will be taking in the Jints game vs the Bears so I can see the blood sport of Daniel Jones being snapped in half by Mack.


are you john mara? if not ask him how he feels about the dazzler if you'd like a 74 type meltdown


:popcorn
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14934
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 282

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby eagle33 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:39 am

claver2010 wrote:
HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

I’ll be at the name tag event this weekend. Also will be taking in the Jints game vs the Bears so I can see the blood sport of Daniel Jones being snapped in half by Mack.


are you john mara? if not ask him how he feels about the dazzler if you'd like a 74 type meltdown


wonder if mara and 74 chummed around together during their undergrad days.
eagle33
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: 67

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby bcshater on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I would have a lot more respect for ND if they joined a conference, which is unlikely to happen.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
2015 EO Pick'em regular season champion
bcshater
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm
Karma: 1

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Los on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:04 am

2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

Second non-sellout in a row for the French. Plenty of good seats still available.
- Los
User avatar
Los
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am
Location: Here
Karma: 51

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby eagletx on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 am

Employing Hansen tools of analysis, I have a feeling that there might be a beat down in South Bend today......it's just a feeling.
eagletx
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:22 pm
Karma: -230

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:30 am

HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:Who’s going to the game?

I’ll be at the name tag event this weekend. Also will be taking in the Jints game vs the Bears so I can see the blood sport of Daniel Jones being snapped in half by Mack.



Same. Brought my dad out for his 70th bday. Have fun.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 523

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 am

bcshater wrote:I would have a lot more respect for ND if they joined a conference, which is unlikely to happen.


I hope they break the conference stranglehold on college athletics and show the other great programs they don’t need the corrupt conference model to be profitable. With the way the delivery of athletic products are going (much cheaper to produce and can be delivered a la carte to subscribers directly from the content producers (ie the college athletic programs) it is heading in that direction. ESPN 3 is the last gasp—when Alabama or Notre Dame or Texas or USC work out the few remaining kinks and realize they can charge viewers through a subscription model and cut out the middle men which allows them to maintain better control of their branding—have homer announcers and turn the broadcast into an infomercial for the school—they will do it in a heartbeat.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 515

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:28 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
bcshater wrote:I would have a lot more respect for ND if they joined a conference, which is unlikely to happen.


I hope they break the conference stranglehold on college athletics and show the other great programs they don’t need the corrupt conference model to be profitable. With the way the delivery of athletic products are going (much cheaper to produce and can be delivered a la carte to subscribers directly from the content producers (ie the college athletic programs) it is heading in that direction. ESPN 3 is the last gasp—when Alabama or Notre Dame or Texas or USC work out the few remaining kinks and realize they can charge viewers through a subscription model and cut out the middle men which allows them to maintain better control of their branding—have homer announcers and turn the broadcast into an infomercial for the school—they will do it in a heartbeat.


Why would you want that when it would necessarily marginalize 85 percent of college teams including BC?
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 523

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
bcshater wrote:I would have a lot more respect for ND if they joined a conference, which is unlikely to happen.


I hope they break the conference stranglehold on college athletics and show the other great programs they don’t need the corrupt conference model to be profitable. With the way the delivery of athletic products are going (much cheaper to produce and can be delivered a la carte to subscribers directly from the content producers (ie the college athletic programs) it is heading in that direction. ESPN 3 is the last gasp—when Alabama or Notre Dame or Texas or USC work out the few remaining kinks and realize they can charge viewers through a subscription model and cut out the middle men which allows them to maintain better control of their branding—have homer announcers and turn the broadcast into an infomercial for the school—they will do it in a heartbeat.


Dick normally I would agree with you. But on this one, I am going to have to concur with 2001Eagle. This is not good for 85% of the rest of college football. And if you think about it, its not good for these powerful schools either (not long term anyway.)

There is "network effects" in college sports. The big schools are most valuable so long as they have really good opponents to PLAY. NBC does not pay big dollars to Notre Dame so that people can watch the band. They pay big money to Notre Dame because people like to watch Notre Dame play opponents. That is what makes them valuable through "network effects."

Yes the Baby Rapists are all powerful mostly because they have such a vast and lucrative alumni association that are so focuses on athletics. How many living Ohio State alumni are there in the world? 1,000,000? 1.5 million? They marry each other and breed more Ohio State fans who watch Ohio State sports. Of course a school like Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, of course they could spin up their own internet, subscription only, broadcast model and at least 20% of their 1,000,000 or so alumni would buy it and pay (what?) $300 a year to watch every single football game and men's basketball game (and maybe even baseball?) That is only $25 a month. At $300 a pop for 200,000 subscriptions, that is $60 million a year for a school like Ohio State, just internet broadcasting. They don't even need to sell a game day ticket. Unlike Minnesota and Arizona State (schools who also have gigantic Alumni Associations that are NOT sports focused) Ohio State could do that.

The problem is, Rutgers could NOT do that. Neither could Illinois. And neither could Northwestern, Maryland, Purdue, and probably not Indiana (even with their gigantic alumni base that is so hoops focused.) The dollars and subscriptions just aren't going to be there. And if Ohio State bails on the Big-T(14)N, are those schools just going to line up to get their asses kicked by an "independent" Ohio State?

I think Notre Dame's financial success in their independence model is predicated mostly because they (and BYU) are independently-independent. So long as Notre Dame is the only Baby Rapist to remain independent and as long as they (and BC) remain as the only two Roman Catholic FBS teams, they will not struggle at all to find opponents. But if everyone did that (everyone = Ohio State, Half of the SEC, Texas, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Clemson) then other than EACH OTHER, who are they going to play?

BYU went independent because the Mountain West couldn't offer them anything. No $$$$$. There was no reason for BYU to stay in that conference. But there would be a HUGE reason to join a conference like the Big-XII if Texas ever gave them the nod. (Likely, they wont.) In any event, they are an outlier. And they are just hoping that Texas and Oklahoma will give them a chance.

In a true, free-market capitalist system, it would be wise for all the Baby Rapists to break off from their conferences and go full Notre Dame. Just get their own internet broadcasting companies spun up and sell the subscriptions. Free money. But the NCAA can't hold a gun to the head of all the other universities that do not have that athletic clout or alumni base to be able to pull something like that off and FORCE them to line up and play these new independents. The Baby Rapists are only so valuable because of "network effects." They have to play people. I think if they all broke away to maximize their own individual financial interests, they would wind up almost playing each other entirely. Either that, or the Baby Rapists will have to cut their former conference members a really big-ass game day check. And that check will come straight from all that annual subscription money which kind of defeats the purpose here.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16586
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -443

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Logitano on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:41 pm

hansen wrote:Assuming Bailey is fully healthy...

I think Daz pulls this one out of his ass to get his sixth win. Opens up the playbook with plenty of trick plays and new looks on defense.

BC has historically played Notre Dame close — even some really bad BC teams over the years minus a couple times here or there — and I think this year will be no different. The team just seems to get up for the children of the corn for whatever reason.I think BC will do just enough on defense, Dillon and Bailey will have monster and big games respectively, and we win 34-30.

I realize this prediction is not logical but I just have a feeling. :shrug


This has not aged well. Your historical data was not even correct and had no meaning to this "rivalry" because this has changed quite a bit since the dago brothers took over coaching BC.

We are getting dangerously close to not getting those extra practices you see as vital. :ace
Logitano
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 872

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:Assuming Bailey is fully healthy...

I think Daz pulls this one out of his ass to get his sixth win. Opens up the playbook with plenty of trick plays and new looks on defense.

BC has historically played Notre Dame close — even some really bad BC teams over the years minus a couple times here or there — and I think this year will be no different. The team just seems to get up for the children of the corn for whatever reason.I think BC will do just enough on defense, Dillon and Bailey will have monster and big games respectively, and we win 34-30.

I realize this prediction is not logical but I just have a feeling. :shrug


This has not aged well. Your historical data was not even correct and had no meaning to this "rivalry" because this has changed quite a bit since the dago brothers took over coaching BC.

We are getting dangerously close to not getting those extra practices you see as vital. :ace


Defense didn’t play bad until it became clear the offense couldn’t move the ball.
Otherwise, the rest was garbage. It was wishful thinking on my part.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14934
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 282

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 am

hansen wrote:
Logitano wrote:
hansen wrote:Assuming Bailey is fully healthy...

I think Daz pulls this one out of his ass to get his sixth win. Opens up the playbook with plenty of trick plays and new looks on defense.

BC has historically played Notre Dame close — even some really bad BC teams over the years minus a couple times here or there — and I think this year will be no different. The team just seems to get up for the children of the corn for whatever reason.I think BC will do just enough on defense, Dillon and Bailey will have monster and big games respectively, and we win 34-30.

I realize this prediction is not logical but I just have a feeling. :shrug


This has not aged well. Your historical data was not even correct and had no meaning to this "rivalry" because this has changed quite a bit since the dago brothers took over coaching BC.

We are getting dangerously close to not getting those extra practices you see as vital. :ace


Defense didn’t play bad until it became clear the offense couldn’t move the ball.
Otherwise, the rest was garbage. It was wishful thinking on my part.


Hansen was right if you only count the first quarter
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"
User avatar
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:49 am
Karma: 464

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am

innocentbystander wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:
bcshater wrote:I would have a lot more respect for ND if they joined a conference, which is unlikely to happen.


I hope they break the conference stranglehold on college athletics and show the other great programs they don’t need the corrupt conference model to be profitable. With the way the delivery of athletic products are going (much cheaper to produce and can be delivered a la carte to subscribers directly from the content producers (ie the college athletic programs) it is heading in that direction. ESPN 3 is the last gasp—when Alabama or Notre Dame or Texas or USC work out the few remaining kinks and realize they can charge viewers through a subscription model and cut out the middle men which allows them to maintain better control of their branding—have homer announcers and turn the broadcast into an infomercial for the school—they will do it in a heartbeat.


Dick normally I would agree with you. But on this one, I am going to have to concur with 2001Eagle. This is not good for 85% of the rest of college football. And if you think about it, its not good for these powerful schools either (not long term anyway.)

There is "network effects" in college sports. The big schools are most valuable so long as they have really good opponents to PLAY. NBC does not pay big dollars to Notre Dame so that people can watch the band. They pay big money to Notre Dame because people like to watch Notre Dame play opponents. That is what makes them valuable through "network effects."

Yes the Baby Rapists are all powerful mostly because they have such a vast and lucrative alumni association that are so focuses on athletics. How many living Ohio State alumni are there in the world? 1,000,000? 1.5 million? They marry each other and breed more Ohio State fans who watch Ohio State sports. Of course a school like Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, of course they could spin up their own internet, subscription only, broadcast model and at least 20% of their 1,000,000 or so alumni would buy it and pay (what?) $300 a year to watch every single football game and men's basketball game (and maybe even baseball?) That is only $25 a month. At $300 a pop for 200,000 subscriptions, that is $60 million a year for a school like Ohio State, just internet broadcasting. They don't even need to sell a game day ticket. Unlike Minnesota and Arizona State (schools who also have gigantic Alumni Associations that are NOT sports focused) Ohio State could do that.

The problem is, Rutgers could NOT do that. Neither could Illinois. And neither could Northwestern, Maryland, Purdue, and probably not Indiana (even with their gigantic alumni base that is so hoops focused.) The dollars and subscriptions just aren't going to be there. And if Ohio State bails on the Big-T(14)N, are those schools just going to line up to get their asses kicked by an "independent" Ohio State?

I think Notre Dame's financial success in their independence model is predicated mostly because they (and BYU) are independently-independent. So long as Notre Dame is the only Baby Rapist to remain independent and as long as they (and BC) remain as the only two Roman Catholic FBS teams, they will not struggle at all to find opponents. But if everyone did that (everyone = Ohio State, Half of the SEC, Texas, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Clemson) then other than EACH OTHER, who are they going to play?

BYU went independent because the Mountain West couldn't offer them anything. No $$$$$. There was no reason for BYU to stay in that conference. But there would be a HUGE reason to join a conference like the Big-XII if Texas ever gave them the nod. (Likely, they wont.) In any event, they are an outlier. And they are just hoping that Texas and Oklahoma will give them a chance.

In a true, free-market capitalist system, it would be wise for all the Baby Rapists to break off from their conferences and go full Notre Dame. Just get their own internet broadcasting companies spun up and sell the subscriptions. Free money. But the NCAA can't hold a gun to the head of all the other universities that do not have that athletic clout or alumni base to be able to pull something like that off and FORCE them to line up and play these new independents. The Baby Rapists are only so valuable because of "network effects." They have to play people. I think if they all broke away to maximize their own individual financial interests, they would wind up almost playing each other entirely. Either that, or the Baby Rapists will have to cut their former conference members a really big-ass game day check. And that check will come straight from all that annual subscription money which kind of defeats the purpose here.


It is going to happen regardless of what we want or don’t want. Rather than linger with the current untenable NCAA/Conference RICO-violation-in-action, I’d like us to be ready for what comes next and prepare accordingly. At a certain point, the Baby Rapists will blow this up—the monetary, technological and legal pressure is too much for it to end up any other way. At that point, schools like Stanford, ND, BC, Duke, Wake, UVA, Northwestern and Vandy—who have the means to go the pay-for-play route, but might object to the unseemly nature of it will have to make a choice. As I expect there are a lot of state schools who will not have the financial means/funding/audience to go the pay-for-play, NFL minor league route, the Baby Rapists will probably have to cut deals with some or all of what I’ll call the “academic block” to have a big enough league to make it financially viable. In truth, some of the academic block—Stanford and Notre Dame for two examples—could buy pretty much all of the Baby Rapists (outside of Texas) and never miss them, so they might be in a strong negotiating position and may want to bring along at least a few of their fellow academics to perfume the deal. In any case, probably best to get it over with sooner rather than later and position ourselves for the aftermath.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 515

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2013CommAve, billyshelby, HJS, innocentbystander and 14 guests

Untitled document