EO Candidate Smackdown Finals - Turnkey Edition

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Who is best to lead this program into the next decade?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Bret Bielema
44%
Luke Fickell
56%

Total votes : 18

EO Candidate Smackdown Finals - Turnkey Edition

Postby HJS on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:11 pm

The EO Consulting Group has narrowed the search to two:
  • One is 49 and once considered among the elite coaches in college while guiding Wisconsin to 68-24. He was lured away by a massive SEC payday. But, those checks were issued by one of college’s worst programs. He has spent the past two seasons on the Patriots (currently as the DC).
  • The other is a 46 rising head coach. He’s spent his entire life in Ohio and spent 10 years as tOSU’s DC. He is 23-11 in his 3rd season at Cincy and was 6-7 as the interim replacement at OSU.

“Today is a very good day for our football team, for our fans, our alums, and more importantly, me.”
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: EO Candidate Smackdown Finals - Turnkey Edition

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Greg Roman
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am

Joe Moorhead
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

Joe mooraddazio.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Let me just say how proud I am of the EO intelligentsia. While Campanile made it interesting, all Italian coaches had been eliminated by the Semi-Finals (meaning none made the top 6).

In thinking back over previous searches, I just wanted to point out how fucking pathetic BC is as a fanbase. Every other college fan throughout the Power 5 have unrealistic dreams and aspirations. Each were certain they could be the school that woos Jon Gruden out of retirement. At BC, we are the battered spouses... the homeless kids at Christmas. We have our expectations hovering somewhere below mid-majors. Our last two substantive coaching searches saw a coalescing of fan support around Mark Whipple and Bob Diaco. What in the fuck is that? In retrospect, Whipple's highest career accomplishment has been a 16-44 record at FBS UMass... and Diaco's has been 11-26 at UConn.

It is pretty much universal for sports fans to be in a state of regular disappointment with their team. Those that aren't are the insufferable pricks who feel that their bandwagoning justifies their otherwise meaningless existence (I'm looking at you Yankees, ND and Patriots fans). While we scoff at schools like Tennessee, Florida and Arkansas for churning through mistakes caused by unrealistic pressure, in many ways it is fair for every fan to be disappointed because their team failed to hire the absolute best coach in the sport. There is a balance between the lunatic fringe of the SEC and the utter apathy of BC.

At the end of the day, I think that at least having some hope for competency leads to a modicum of focus on decision makers to provide results. BC fans have none allowing the Administration to take the easy route. They can focus on graduation rates and non-scandals while ignoring winning percentages. We are literally told by Trustees to be happy so long as there is White Mountain Creamery available on Saturdays. Pitifully, our desire for coaching adequacy is reliant solely upon the belief that Jarmond wants to some day advance beyond middle management. Nothing could be sadder for something that is supposed to be entertainment, a diversion, a welcome escape from the challenges of daily life.

While I'd view pretty much anyone from the Round One lists as a potential improvement... and while I think most would view Bielema or Fickell as solid hires for "a school like BC", I really wish that our fans cared enough that the final two choices here were Urban Meyer and Bill O'Brien.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Let me just say how proud I am of the EO intelligentsia. While Campanile made it interesting, all Italian coaches had been eliminated by the Semi-Finals (meaning none made the top 6).

In thinking back over previous searches, I just wanted to point out how fucking pathetic BC is as a fanbase. Every other college fan throughout the Power 5 have unrealistic dreams and aspirations. Each were certain they could be the school that woos Jon Gruden out of retirement. At BC, we are the battered spouses... the homeless kids at Christmas. We have our expectations hovering somewhere below mid-majors. Our last two substantive coaching searches saw a coalescing of fan support around Mark Whipple and Bob Diaco. What in the fuck is that? In retrospect, Whipple's highest career accomplishment has been a 16-44 record at FBS UMass... and Diaco's has been 11-26 at UConn.

It is pretty much universal for sports fans to be in a state of regular disappointment with their team. Those that aren't are the insufferable pricks who feel that their bandwagoning justifies their otherwise meaningless existence (I'm looking at you Yankees, ND and Patriots fans). While we scoff at schools like Tennessee, Florida and Arkansas for churning through mistakes caused by unrealistic pressure, in many ways it is fair for every fan to be disappointed because their team failed to hire the absolute best coach in the sport. There is a balance between the lunatic fringe of the SEC and the utter apathy of BC.

At the end of the day, I think that at least having some hope for competency leads to a modicum of focus on decision makers to provide results. BC fans have none allowing the Administration to take the easy route. They can focus on graduation rates and non-scandals while ignoring winning percentages. We are literally told by Trustees to be happy so long as there is White Mountain Creamery available on Saturdays. Pitifully, our desire for coaching adequacy is reliant solely upon the belief that Jarmond wants to some day advance beyond middle management. Nothing could be sadder for something that is supposed to be entertainment, a diversion, a welcome escape from the challenges of daily life.

While I'd view pretty much anyone from the Round One lists as a potential improvement... and while I think most would view Bielema or Fickell as solid hires for "a school like BC", I really wish that our fans cared enough that the final two choices here were Urban Meyer and Bill O'Brien.

1. What’s the White Mountain story?

B) Most of our fans are smart enough to know that Urban would never be hired here, whether by Leahy or his successor.

iii: We also have a rough idea of what BC is willing to pay for a head coach - and it’s not Clemson money.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:45 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:1. What’s the White Mountain story?

B) Most of our fans are smart enough to know that Urban would never be hired here, whether by Leahy or his successor.

iii: We also have a rough idea of what BC is willing to pay for a head coach - and it’s not Clemson money.

1. A certain poster on EA is a prominent Trustee. While folks were flipping out about one of those typical TOB moments where we failed in a meaningful game... said poster said that he had a great day at the game. He brought his young daughter to the game. It was beautiful outside. They cheered. They walked to get ice cream at White Mountain. Folks need proper perspective... there’s more to life than college football. Basically, a terribly patronizing post probably written to the great unwashed while on a private jet with his second (much younger) family.

B) and iii. This is the problem. We are so brow-beaten as a fan base that we won’t even bother asking for what similarly situated schools have. Yes. We all know how little Leahy gives a shit about sports. But, our acceptance of this fact validates his position and will perpetuate through his successor. When Monan was here, there wasn’t any of this shit. There was no compliance to “we are what we are” mentality. Look... I know a whole generation has no concept of BC dreaming of greatness. But, there was a time, though perhaps brief, when BC Athletics was a thing. And, Top 25 rankings weren’t some sort of voting fluke.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

1. A certain poster on EA is a prominent Trustee. While folks were flipping out about one of those typical TOB moments where we failed in a meaningful game... said poster said that he had a great day at the game. He brought his young daughter to the game. It was beautiful outside. They cheered. They walked to get ice cream at White Mountain. Folks need proper perspective... there’s more to life than college football. Basically, a terribly patronizing post probably written to the great unwashed while on a private jet with his second (much younger) family.

B) and iii. This is the problem. We are so brow-beaten as a fan base that we won’t even bother asking for what similarly situated schools have. Yes. We all know how little Leahy gives a shit about sports. But, our acceptance of this fact validates his position and will perpetuate through his successor. When Monan was here, there wasn’t any of this shit. There was no compliance to “we are what we are” mentality. Look... I know a whole generation has no concept of BC dreaming of greatness. But, there was a time, though perhaps brief, when BC Athletics was a thing. And, Top 25 rankings weren’t some sort of voting fluke.

Marineagle?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm

thank you for your CONTENT

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Marineagle?

Shut up Hansen
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Marineagle?

Shut up Hansen

That’s so 2014

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Marineagle?

Shut up Hansen

That’s so 2014

Yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:27 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Let me just say how proud I am of the EO intelligentsia. While Campanile made it interesting, all Italian coaches had been eliminated by the Semi-Finals (meaning none made the top 6).

In thinking back over previous searches, I just wanted to point out how fucking pathetic BC is as a fanbase. Every other college fan throughout the Power 5 have unrealistic dreams and aspirations. Each were certain they could be the school that woos Jon Gruden out of retirement. At BC, we are the battered spouses... the homeless kids at Christmas. We have our expectations hovering somewhere below mid-majors.

neither of our revenue sports have had a single season above .500 in our conference in a decade

the last 4 searches for these revenue sports have yielded:
1) the worst bc football coach in history
2) a coach that fordham chose not to hire
3) a coach coming off a 2-5 record in the big east
4) a coach that has the worst winning % in acc history (i have no idea if this is true or not but find someone else that has gotten 6 years and has a 20% acc winning %
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

In thinking back over previous searches, I just wanted to point out how fucking pathetic BC is as a fanbase. Every other college fan throughout the Power 5 have unrealistic dreams and aspirations. Each were certain they could be the school that woos Jon Gruden out of retirement. At BC, we are the battered spouses... the homeless kids at Christmas. We have our expectations hovering somewhere below mid-majors.

neither of our revenue sports have had a single season above .500 in our conference in a decade

4) a coach that has the worst winning % in acc history (i have no idea if this is true or not but find someone else that has gotten 6 years and has a 20% acc winning %

Jesus it’s really insane when you read this.

Gene obviously had his own terrible reasons for Spaz. No need to rehash how awful of a mistake that was.

I remember being okay with Don at the time, but can’t really remember who else was in the mix. Obviously he was awful, and really torched the program.

But Jesus Christ was Brad Bates a fucking idiot. Addazio and JC weren’t even accomplished, let alone interesting names. It’s seriously impressive that he managed to make such awful hires. Also that he was such an idiot about the Donahue firing.

Truly remarkable that there’s been so much incompetence and malice, and there are any fans left.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:26 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Jesus it’s really insane when you read this.

Gene obviously had his own terrible reasons for Spaz. No need to rehash how awful of a mistake that was.

I remember being okay with Don at the time, but can’t really remember who else was in the mix. Obviously he was awful, and really torched the program.

But Jesus Christ was Brad Bates a fucking idiot. Addazio and JC weren’t even accomplished, let alone interesting names. It’s seriously impressive that he managed to make such awful hires. Also that he was such an idiot about the Donahue firing.

Truly remarkable that there’s been so much incompetence and malice, and there are any fans left.

I'm embarrassed that it took me more than a few seconds to realize the answer to #3 was daz.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Blame herzy for #1
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:06 pm

I don't blame herzy, I blame Gene.

Also, Roman for this poll. Odd choice and a little out of his comfort zone but the word I hear is that he brings it all to whatever he does and he is a decent human. Our best hires are never going to roll right out of central casting.

I think a lot of people on this board are treating this as betting on a likely outcome rather than dreaming a little... thus Fickell.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I don't blame herzy, I blame Gene.

Also, Roman for this poll. Odd choice and a little out of his comfort zone but the word I hear is that he brings it all to whatever he does and he is a decent human. Our best hires are never going to roll right out of central casting.

I think a lot of people on this board are treating this as betting on a likely outcome rather than dreaming a little... thus Fickell.

It’s fun to mock our love of Diaco 7 years ago. But, when you actually read the posts, the guy I (and most posters here) wanted for head coach was Roman. It sounded like his reps thought it a good fit too. But, Bates never reached out as Greg disqualified himself by never coaching in the MAC.

Btw... agreed as to Fickell. He’s a boring. I voted for Bielema. He’s a prick who will rub the media the wrong way. But, that’ll be fun to watch. It’ll also be fun to see him get fatter with access to good restaurants. Bottom line for me is that BC is not terribly dissimilar to Wisconsin and he was an elite head coach while in that atmosphere.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I don't blame herzy, I blame Gene.

It’s fun to mock our love of Diaco 7 years ago. But, when you actually read the posts, the guy I (and most posters here) wanted for head coach was Roman..

CONFIRMED!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&hilit=Hansen&start=1770#p322272
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: It’ll also be fun to see him get fatter with access to good restaurants.

Bielema fattened up substantially in Arkansas and there's nothing good in Fayetteville AR except a greek place off the highway, and a couple of burger/bbq places in town - everything else probably serves possum. He'll get larger wherever he goes.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

For transparency purposes, I voted as follows:
Round 1: Bielema, Golden, Moorhead, Aranda, Hafley, Venables, Daboll, Lynn, Roman, Carmichael, Washington
Round 2: Aranda, Bielema, Moorhead, Venables
Round 3: Bielema, Golden
Round 4: Bielema

In looking back over this, I think I'd be most excited about the unknown. So, Aranda, Daboll, Hafley, Roman and Venables are my favorites... after Anthony Lynn (who I maintain will be an incredible college coach one day).
If I was doing the search, my pre-Diaco interview list would be (in order): Lynn, Roman, Aranda, Venables, Daboll, Hafley. After them, I would be in the group of retreads (Stoops, Bielema, Golden, Moorhead, Schiano). Fickell (who is going to win this thing) probably wouldn't make my Top 10.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 pm

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards an NFL guy who has had a stop in college. I don’t love the retread idea like HJS, but I do think taking a swing is better than going after G5 coach of the moment, even if I think Fickell would be a large step up from Daz
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:38 am

I wanted to congratulate HCLF on being the board fave for 2019.
He's an article to get to know him better: https://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-spo ... tball-team

I look forward to all the Cool Hand, Skywalker and Perry references until BC goes out and hires Scot Loeffler.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium