Official Gameday Thread - BC at Syracuse - 11/2/2019

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Syracuse - 11/2/2019

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:?..the optics of firing a coach who made a bowl with their backup QB is not good PR.

This is a loser's mentality.

The optics of retaining a coach who got his doors blown off by Kansas with a perfectly healthy starting QB is not good PR either.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm

He’s only under contract for this and one more season right? So he’s either getting extended or let go right? I think that’s the way of looking at it.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:?..the optics of firing a coach who made a bowl with their backup QB is not good PR.

This is a loser's mentality.

The optics of retaining a coach who got his doors blown off by Kansas with a perfectly healthy starting QB is not good PR either.

This is BC’s mentality
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:A bowl game and he’s safe for another year. He loses the next 3 and he’s gone. Nobody would be happy with 6 wins but the injured QB excuse and a game in December would ease that. Regardless of what the board thinks, the optics of firing a coach who made a bowl with their backup QB is not good PR.

I'm not so sure... in the media, the optics of BC football have been getting curbstomped by Kansas and having an 0-fer season in the ACC a while back and in Year 7 we are still a terrible football team. We've been a borderline laughing stock under Addazio in the media's eyes.

The optics of moving on from a coach that makes a bowl game (in an era where everyone gets a participation ribbon in Bowl Season) should be that this program is looking for something more than mediocrity. And more than anything, as has been pointed out many times the past few weeks, it's that this guy has no plan whatsoever for trying to get to a higher place while lacking in any ability to recruit the important position of QB.

I'm not sure how the media will play it if we do move on in a situation, but I would hope they would be fair and consistent. But sadly we'll probably never know as we'll likely have Addazio for a while longer and stay in neutral as a program. There is a 100% certainty this man can do no more than 7-8 wins with a schedule that includes a few chip shots a year.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 am

The PR I’m referencing is in relation to the whale pants. If BC cared about the national media and how the outside world sees us, do you think we hire Addazio, Christian, and every shooting star from the MAC? Most of the diehard fans had to look up who the hell Jimmy Mac even was. BC cares about the few whalepants that still donate. The we are what we are crowd. Most BC fans that donate do so regardless of athletic success. They want BC to win and make a bowl game. Doing so keeps them happy. If they are happy why would BC make a change?
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 am

there is only 1 p5 coach that has been employed longer and has a worse record (cutcliffe)

granted, i'm sure there's no instances for basketball

who knows
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:The PR I’m referencing is in relation to the whale pants. If BC cared about the national media and how the outside world sees us, do you think we hire Addazio, Christian, and every shooting star from the MAC? Most of the diehard fans had to look up who the hell Jimmy Mac even was. BC cares about the few whalepants that still donate. The we are what we are crowd. Most BC fans that donate do so regardless of athletic success. They want BC to win and make a bowl game. Doing so keeps them happy. If they are happy why would BC make a change?

I'm not sure the "whalepants" are as numerous as you think. They are certainly a dying minority of BC alumni.

Lets put it this way: I watch most of the games with the Phoenix chapter of the BC alumni association. A couple of the members post here. The majority of the Phoenix chapter are over 60 and retired. Some are over 70. A couple of them are over 80! None of them give a damn about Holy Cross or Addazio playing in his annual Massengil Moisture Bowl. I talk to these senior citizens and they all want what we want, for BC to be Clemson and challenge for the National Championship. Only they want it more than I do because they probably have fewer seasons left than I do. So no, they are not happy with Addazio. They want him terminated just like we do. I have no idea if they represent the average older BC fan, but I do know how they feel about Addazio.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Let’s use the Phoenix chapter as a sample pool then. First let’s agree that everyone wants BC to win. Does the number of victories influence how much these guys donate? I’m guessing it doesn’t. I don’t think the W/L ratio moves the needle for most donors. If it did, BC would be reaching higher than it does in hires, etc. because of the return on investment. If overall donations remain constant regardless of football success what push is there for a change? I don’t see a significant drop off if BC makes any bowl. If BC doesn’t make a bowl in year 7 of this clown (when we were supposed to be contending for championships) maybe it makes a noticeable difference and Jarmond brings the axe. But (sadly) I don’t see any way he brings the axe with BC playing in December.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:12 pm

If he’s not fired, he’ll be extended again, with the same explanation: for recruiting purposes.

We’ll kick the can down the road for another 7 win season. Contracts don’t run out anymore. There’s no more parting of ways. A guy is either fired or extended.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:40 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:If he’s not fired, he’ll be extended again, with the same explanation: for recruiting purposes.

We’ll kick the can down the road for another 7 win season. Contracts don’t run out anymore. There’s no more parting of ways. A guy is either fired or extended.

I would bet IB's RV that's he getting extended already. Program records being set on offense despite Brown going down will be enough...
Of course this will all be irrelevant once Seven Win Steve earns his monikor again this year.
I don't see him every getting let go unless one of three things happens: 1) scandal 2) someone else takes him off our hands 3) Leahy retires.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:23 pm

I'll bet my entire annual Google AdSense allotment that he gets fired after this season.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:29 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:If he’s not fired, he’ll be extended again, with the same explanation: for recruiting purposes.

I would bet IB's RV that's he getting extended already. Program records being set on offense despite Brown going down will be enough...
Of course this will all be irrelevant once Seven Win Steve earns his monikor again this year.
I don't see him every getting let go unless one of three things happens: 1) scandal 2) someone else takes him off our hands 3) Leahy retires.

If BC wins just one more regular season game (likely at this point) then no, he will not be fired. He'll be extended another year or even two. They just got 691 yards of offense and scored 8 fucking touchdowns vs BC's #1 intra-division rival, their closest ACC opponent geographically. Addazio's team scored more points vs Syracuse than Jim Christian's team is likely to score. How can Jarmond or the BOT bring down the axe on Addazio when he pulls that shit off?

This whole thing frustrates me terribly. I want him gone, and that is not likely to happen.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:40 pm

I don’t see 7 wins happening. I’m not even sure I see 6. We know how he does in close games and the idea that they even out presupposes all things are equal. They are not. We have an idiot leading us that I swear is living in bizarro-world where every decision he makes is the opposite of what it should be. FSU losing Taggart is a net plus for them. ND will score at will on us. I don’t know much about Pitt but I would take Narduzzi over Daz any day. He goes 0-3 to end the season he’s gone.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Cuse DC fired
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Cuse DC fired

Addazio's fault? :duchE
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:I don’t see 7 wins happening. I’m not even sure I see 6. We know how he does in close games and the idea that they even out presupposes all things are equal. They are not. We have an idiot leading us that I swear is living in bizarro-world where every decision he makes is the opposite of what it should be. FSU losing Taggart is a net plus for them. ND will score at will on us. I don’t know much about Pitt but I would take Narduzzi over Daz any day. He goes 0-3 to end the season he’s gone.

From a purely selfish standpoint, I hope you are right. I want Addazio gone as much as anyone. But for the players standpoint (particularly the small handful of seniors that are on this team) I hope you are wrong. I think they are very much looking forward to that Massengil Moisture Bowl in Shreveport or Yankee's Stadium or Detroit or whatever awful place they are banished to with no one rooting for them except their parents who are probably wishing they could be home for Christmas.

It looks to me like Wake Forest is pretty awesome this year (they likely win 10 regular season games, they should have been undefeated still) and I'm not convinced Notre Dame is all that good. One dropped pass, they lose to VPI at home last night. The Irish are "lucky" (something BC and Addazio are not.) If they can keep being lucky they can beat BC. Regardless, I'm pretty sure BC will at least "split" with FSU and Pitt. And whichever team BC beats, they beat them by 20+. We haven't seen this kind of running game from BC in (well) ever, and those 3 teams left on the schedule, their defenses are NOTHING like Clemson's.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 pm

:laugh
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

:laugh

Can we fire our DC?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm

The end of this season will be the perfect time to fire Addazio. It won't cost much (if anything) to buy out his contract. If he happens to get to a bowl, firing him will show that BC expects more and is committed to achieving more. The "bad PR" and "bad optics" argument is weak and can easily be turned into a positive. Plus, it's about time we had a head coach without gravy in his moustache. Embarrassing.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:10 pm

I think if Jarmond had any power Daz would have been gone last year. His announcement of Daz’s extension was anything but enthusiastic. To the average BC fan, what’s the real difference between 6-6 and a bowl vs 7-5 and a bowl? We’re still going to the same bowl (worst allowable per Swofford). I don’t think we’re firing anybody that gets us to a bowl game. Like every year under Daz we have the talking points of youth (defense) and injuries (QB). I just question his ability to win another game this year. He’s so awful even Vegas won’t give him the nod over a team with no coach. I just don’t have faith in BC to do anything about it.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:devito is the opposite of grosel, ton of talent but complete fucking moron

Impressive stats for DeVito and the G-Men in the Battle of New York!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:43 am

guess i was wrong on the talent, just spiking the ball every time would've been more productive
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:14 am

I like the conservation aspects of EO. We recycle used threads if they can be used again (even years later.)
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:07 pm

Looks like Shrader is out for tonights game
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:37 pm

There's really no explanation for the gameplan so far other than Castellanos is hurt. Turning this offense into an I formation drop back pocket passing scheme with Deep Sea Dana dive left and right is mind numbingly stupid, particularly with Cuse sending 9 defenders into the box.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:57 pm

That PI call was a gift, but I’ll take it. And let’s face it, when an O-line beats your ass so severely that they lead an 18 play drive, you should probably not whine.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm

The officiating has been terrible!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Our fucking players are so fucking dumb. Gift them 15 yards and hand them a possible 3 points.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 pm

How is that even a roughing the passer leg slime targeting?

I do enjoy any throw outside the numbers goes completely out of the picture

Run the damn ball
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:16 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:How is that even a roughing the passer leg slime targeting?

Exactly, he hit him .5 seconds after he released the ball!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium