Official Gameday Thead - BC at Louisville - 10/5/2019

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC at Louisville - 10/5/2019

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I thought Daz might hand the headset back to Reid this week but he won't 1) because he's all about consistency as mentioned before and 2) being "all about consistency" is just another way of saying too stubborn to admit a mistake and make a change.

No DC in the world is saving this defense with no pass rush and this secondary.

disagree

at this point, "saving the defense" has to be defined as to doing whatever necessary to get us 3-4 wins out of the next six. it's gonna be difficult but not impossible ; it's going to take playing the right people in the right positions and a lot of good coaching.

I firmly believe a good DC could accomplish this against a mediocre ACC this year

The absolute worst result here is Daz figuring out a way to win another 3-4 games. I can't sit here and cheer for BC to lose, but the best result for the long-term of the BC football program is 3-9 and firing everyone.

FUCK YOU micropenis

how is winning no more games this year the best result long-term for the program? it will destroy this year's and probably next year's recruiting class, no 4 weeks of practice this year will disadvantage the team and make next year an upward climb, plenty of athletes will transfer out reducing the talent on the team, and lastt but not least probably make us the joke of the ACC again, etc. and for what? another MAC hire? it will set the program back another 5 years. um, no thanks.

I'll let you go to bat advocating for retaining Addazio to win 6 or 7 games every year.

1. Recruiting rankings are stupid, but it's not like either of these classes are program altering
2. All the practice in the world isn't going to cure the stupid scheme or lack of talent on defense nor the Head Coach being unable to manage a game
3. God forbid we lose some players via transfer off of this team
4. This program is already a joke. We won 1 conference game already. There's nowhere to go but up

As long as Leahy is running the show, nothing is going to change regardless of who is the coach.
so what's the point of blowing up the program to get another uninspiring hire?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:17 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I thought Daz might hand the headset back to Reid this week but he won't 1) because he's all about consistency as mentioned before and 2) being "all about consistency" is just another way of saying too stubborn to admit a mistake and make a change.

disagree

at this point, "saving the defense" has to be defined as to doing whatever necessary to get us 3-4 wins out of the next six. it's gonna be difficult but not impossible ; it's going to take playing the right people in the right positions and a lot of good coaching.

I firmly believe a good DC could accomplish this against a mediocre ACC this year

The absolute worst result here is Daz figuring out a way to win another 3-4 games. I can't sit here and cheer for BC to lose, but the best result for the long-term of the BC football program is 3-9 and firing everyone.

FUCK YOU micropenis

how is winning no more games this year the best result long-term for the program? it will destroy this year's and probably next year's recruiting class, no 4 weeks of practice this year will disadvantage the team and make next year an upward climb, plenty of athletes will transfer out reducing the talent on the team, and lastt but not least probably make us the joke of the ACC again, etc. and for what? another MAC hire? it will set the program back another 5 years. um, no thanks.

I'll let you go to bat advocating for retaining Addazio to win 6 or 7 games every year.

1. Recruiting rankings are stupid, but it's not like either of these classes are program altering
2. All the practice in the world isn't going to cure the stupid scheme or lack of talent on defense nor the Head Coach being unable to manage a game
3. God forbid we lose some players via transfer off of this team
4. This program is already a joke. We won 1 conference game already. There's nowhere to go but up
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

disagree

FUCK YOU micropenis

Just want to be sure I understand your position. The proven 7 win ceiling and associated mediocrity is preferable even desirable to change (since change assures, in your opinion, mediocrity or worse)?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Hansen you're struggling here. We may need to exhume tre
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:42 pm

i don;t even think it matters if people want to win more games. realistically, can we win any more games? i am not sure we can.

for the record: i like bc football.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

disagree

FUCK YOU micropenis

Just want to be sure I understand your position. The proven 7 win ceiling and associated mediocrity is preferable even desirable to change (since change assures, in your opinion, mediocrity or worse)?

No, that is not my point... I don’t want to go through a rebuild for a lateral hire. And that’s the best we’re going to get with Leahy-hoo in charge. It’s delusional to think otherwise.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:32 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:i don;t even think it matters if people want to win more games. realistically, can we win any more games? i am not sure we can.

for the record: i like bc football.

:whalepants

I think we can win six if the defense improves. Small outside chance at seven but I would not put money on it.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 am

hansen {l Wrote}:As long as Leahy is running the show, nothing is going to change regardless of who is the coach.

Whoah! I did not realize that there were people still in the “he just needs more time” camp. In Year 7, Daz’s winning percentage at BC is currently .500. It is a certainty that he will finish his tenure with a losing record. I understand hating Leahy and not thinking him capable of making a good hire. But, the pool of candidates that would be worse shrinks with every subsequent loss.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:As long as Leahy is running the show, nothing is going to change regardless of who is the coach.

Whoah! I did not realize that there were people still in the “he just needs more time” camp. In Year 7, Daz’s winning percentage at BC is currently .500. It is a certainty that he will finish his tenure with a losing record. I understand hating Leahy and not thinking him capable of making a good hire. But, the pool of candidates that would be worse shrinks with every subsequent loss.

.500 yes but also 21-40 against p5 teams
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Nice try. I never said Daz was anything but a seven win coach on average or that he needs more time. But with Leahy in charge that's about the best we are going to get. By the time you get down to anyone who checks off all the BC boxes, you've got a small, uninspiring pool of potential hires that will produce the same shit results possibly worse. So until Leahy-hoo goes, nothing will change. And thus, I see no reason to make a change (barring a collapse this season)... what's the point of enduring a couple shit seasons of rebuild only to end up back where we started. I'm just being a realist.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

the 21-40 and 19-32 against ACC teams are bad but I wonder

1) how much of that is due to the Spaz dumpster fire? I would be willing to ignore the first 3 seasons but maybe that is too generous.
2) what would comparable coaches in the ACC have for P5 and ACC records? I would be interested to see what Clawson, Doeren, and some of his fellow ACC coaches have for records in these categories? I wouldn't be surprised if most of them have about .500 records here.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

the 21-40 and 19-32 against ACC teams are bad but I wonder

1) how much of that is due to the Spaz dumpster fire? I would be willing to ignore the first 3 seasons but maybe that is too generous.
2) what would comparable coaches in the ACC have for P5 and ACC records? I would be interested to see what Clawson, Doeren, and some of his fellow ACC coaches have for records in these categories? I wouldn't be surprised if most of them have about .500 records here.

if for some reason we exclude his first 3 years, his acc win % moves from 37% to 41%. if you do the same, doeren's is 56%, clawson is 47% (was hired 1 year after daz & dd)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Nice try. I never said Daz was anything but a seven win coach on average or that he needs more time. But with Leahy in charge that's about the best we are going to get. By the time you get down to anyone who checks off all the BC boxes, you've got a small, uninspiring pool of potential hires that will produce the same shit results possibly worse. So until Leahy-hoo goes, nothing will change. And thus, I see no reason to make a change (barring a collapse this season)... what's the point of enduring a couple shit seasons of rebuild only to end up back where we started. I'm just being a realist.

If you think the above, why do you even bother with the games? BC can do way better than Daz even with whatever limitations Leahy puts on the hire.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This is moronic. I'd much rather roll the dice than remain in this quagmire of ketchup.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 am

The Leahy limitations are a dumb argument. All that’s needed is a willingness to take a 7-10th paycheck in the ACC, pay lip service to academics and character, and go to mass on game days.

We might never get an established name, but do you think that a smart, up and coming coach wouldn’t deal with that for a shot at one of a finite number of P5 jobs?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:I see no reason to make a change (barring a collapse this season)... what's the point of enduring a couple shit seasons of rebuild only to end up back where we started. I'm just being a realist.

I removed the "we are what we are" sentiment as others have already challenged. My questions is... what do you consider to be a "collapse" for this season? Do the kids have to revolt? Does there have to be a scandal? Can win/loss record get there alone?

From my vantage point, this was supposed to be a very good year but will instead be 4-win season. BC is in need of a rebuild. The question is... do you feel that the person to lead that build is a 60-year-old entering into his 8th year at the helm. Or, do you think the person to undertake the project is someone who at least has a chance to be in his prime when it starts to take hold?

In my view, we are a 4-win team. We don't have much to risk by making a change. I think your arguments may be applicable if we had 8-wins and folks were disappointed we didn't pop for 10. But, we are the worst team in the Atlantic Division.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I see no reason to make a change (barring a collapse this season)... what's the point of enduring a couple shit seasons of rebuild only to end up back where we started. I'm just being a realist.

I removed the "we are what we are" sentiment as others have already challenged. My questions is... what do you consider to be a "collapse" for this season? Do the kids have to revolt? Does there have to be a scandal? Can win/loss record get there alone?

From my vantage point, this was supposed to be a very good year but will instead be 4-win season. BC is in need of a rebuild. The question is... do you feel that the person to lead that build is a 60-year-old entering into his 8th year at the helm. Or, do you think the person to undertake the project is someone who at least has a chance to be in his prime when it starts to take hold?

In my view, we are a 4-win team. We don't have much to risk by making a change. I think your arguments may be applicable if we had 8-wins and folks were disappointed we didn't pop for 10. But, we are the worst team in the Atlantic Division.

Who is this 4th win coming against?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Who is this 4th win coming against?

We won’t be favored in any game from here on out. However, Cuse and FSU are pretty shitty. BC teams don’t quit. So, knocking off one more win would not be a shock.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

We won’t be favored in any game from here on out. However, Cuse and FSU are pretty shitty. BC teams don’t quit. So, knocking off one more win would not be a shock.

Pretty sure we quit against Kansas...and if we didn’t then that’s a much bigger problem.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

for me, a collapse is anything less than a bowl game. the team has played comically bad but there is enough talent to win the necessary games to get to a bowl mainly due to the shittiness of 2/3 of the teams we will be playing. this is the main difference between your arguments and mine. I am coming at it from I don't think we are as bad as we've shown and you believe we are a 3 win team. I would be all for a coaching change but I don't count on BC pulling it off whatsoever. instead, I see another MAC hire or retread and 10 more years of going nowhere fast.

of course, if we don't go to a bowl, then you might as well blow the whole thing up as that's the bare minimum in college football these days.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

for me, a collapse is anything less than a bowl game. the team has played comically bad but there is enough talent to win the necessary games to get to a bowl mainly due to the shittiness of 2/3 of the teams we will be playing. this is the main difference between your arguments and mine. I am coming at it from I don't think we are as bad as we've shown and you believe we are a 3 win team. I would be all for a coaching change but I don't count on BC pulling it off whatsoever. instead, I see another MAC hire or retread and 10 more years of going nowhere fast.

of course, if we don't go to a bowl, then you might as well blow the whole thing up as that's the bare minimum in college football these days.

There's enough talent on this team to get to a bowl WITH GOOD COACHING! We don't have good coaching, which is why we won't get to a bowl game, and why this idiot needs to be fired the day after the season ends.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

i think fsu has shown some improvement since taggart brought leavitt on board and su always seems to give us problems. if ab comes back we might win one of ncst, fsu, or su.
Last edited by eagle33 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:47 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

i think fsu has shown some improvement since taggart brought leavitt on board and su always seems to give us problems. if ab comes back we might win one of ncst, fsu, or su.

I expect one, maybe two of those three. Pitt is a possibility as well.

With our luck, he'll beat ND and the whalepants-that-be will stop caring and he'll get an extension.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

There's enough talent on this team to get to a bowl WITH GOOD COACHING! We don't have good coaching, which is why we won't get to a bowl game, and why this idiot needs to be fired the day after the season ends.

Now is as good a time to fire him, as ever.

At 3-3, I don't see this team making a bowl game (not that any of us would care what bullshit bowl they attend.) End of the season, let him go. Right now, let him go. I don't care as long as they pull the trigger. Addazio gave it a shot and the school gave him more than a shot. It's time to pull the plug (been that time for a few years now.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby blueline on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Good Luck with that

Leahy will never allow him to be fired

That's why Jarman is powerless
blueline
n00b

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 pm

blueline {l Wrote}:Good Luck with that

I think it would be hard for him to survive 3-4 wins. 5 he probably could and 6 or more he's safe as safe could be.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am

Mid-season firings are pointless except to make everyone feel better.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 am

blueline {l Wrote}:Good Luck with that

He's getting fired on December 2nd, and it would be December 1st if we weren't a Jesuit school.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah, I am pretty certain he's done this time, feels like echos of Spaz getting blown out by Kansas. When he was keeping games close and winning 7, there was no way. Things feel different.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:06 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

After watching a little of their games last week, I couldn't have been more wrong. All three are horrifically bad and we *should* win all three games even without ab. But we probably won't.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium