Official Gameday Thead - BC at Louisville - 10/5/2019

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC at Louisville - 10/5/2019

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:24 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is no good explanation for how Valecce is not the backup.

Would Valecce sucking be a good enough explanation?

And of course TW would think that the O is the problem.

No, no, the defense is terrible, and far worse than the offense. I guess that automatically means the QB play is stellar. Carry on.

Grosel was fine given the situation. He looked better than EJ Perry, Flutie, Fadule, Wade, Jeff Smith, etc. Not a high standard, I know, but he played better than I was expecting. The offense still put up 563 yards.

The defense however, is a complete disaster. No resistance whatsoever.

That collection of QBs just made me very sad
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:45 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is no good explanation for how Valecce is not the backup.

No, no, the defense is terrible, and far worse than the offense. I guess that automatically means the QB play is stellar. Carry on.

Grosel was fine given the situation. He looked better than EJ Perry, Flutie, Fadule, Wade, Jeff Smith, etc. Not a high standard, I know, but he played better than I was expecting. The offense still put up 563 yards.

The fact that is Daz’s collection of QBs is evidence of a persistent failing of his tenure. After 7 years, Daz has yet to cultivate a specific theme for the throw game. Those names are a smash up of varying styles and talent. The working with what you have coaching was an asset in his first 2 seasons where there was a patchwork of Spaz holdovers. However, any good coach would have a vision to which he’d build his program. Dazoo never had one (which includes failing to have a back up for an oft-injured junior QB).

All that said, the offense is good enough to win in the ACC. It’s just not good enough to cover for one of the worst defenses we’ve ever had at the Heights. Next year, Daz can consider whether promoting from within (with Sheridan, like Fitch before) was a smart move during his drives to ACCN’s studio in Bristol.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The fact that is Daz’s collection of QBs is evidence of a persistent failing of his tenure. After 7 years, Daz has yet to cultivate a specific theme for the throw game. Those names are a smash up of varying styles and talent. The working with what you have coaching was an asset in his first 2 seasons where there was a patchwork of Spaz holdovers. However, any good coach would have a vision to which he’d build his program. Dazoo never had one (which includes failing to have a back up for an oft-injured junior QB).

All that said, the offense is good enough to win in the ACC. It’s just not good enough to cover for one of the worst defenses we’ve ever had at the Heights. Next year, Daz can consider whether promoting from within (with Sheridan, like Fitch before) was a smart move during his drives to ACCN’s studio in Bristol.

Would releasing Sheridan be too drastic of a move at this point?
Team is 3-3 at the midway point and the team is underachieving. Something needs to be done. it's make or break time. You've got 2 weeks to make changes until the next game and the remainder of a tough upcoming schedule.

* I realize iwnh (as Daz is all about keeping the boat steady, never getting too high or too low, yada yada yada) but would the move make sense?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:34 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Daz is a master of self-preservation. Fully expect the playcalling to open up with his back up against the wall and needing a win.

I expect this, too, but the defense can't hold up their end of the bargain this season. Daz is cooked.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:58 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Would releasing Sheridan be too drastic of a move at this point?
Team is 3-3 at the midway point and the team is underachieving. Something needs to be done. it's make or break time. You've got 2 weeks to make changes until the next game and the remainder of a tough upcoming schedule.

* I realize iwnh (as Daz is all about keeping the boat steady, never getting too high or too low, yada yada yada) but would the move make sense?

Give Sheridan time to work his magic. He'll make some adjustments and have the defense flying by the end of the season.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:27 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Louisville is terrible. Brown looked like Roger Staubach before the injury. Jury's out. We play real teams soon.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This captures my sentiments exactly. It is a failure of program management, period. The simple fact is that the faults and weaknesses in the program in year 7 are a result of a lack of stable program vision, of a consistent philosophy and the competent implementation, which has been ongoing for the past 5 or 6 years.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:49 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This captures my sentiments exactly. It is a failure of program management, period. The simple fact is that the faults and weaknesses in the program in year 7 are a result of a lack of stable program vision, of a consistent philosophy and the competent implementation, which has been ongoing for the past 5 or 6 years.

The style of the QB doesn’t matter. What all those QBs have in common is their lack of skill at football (except Jeff Smith).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The style of the QB doesn’t matter. What all those QBs have in common is their lack of skill at football (except Jeff Smith).

Fadule is midwest for Grosel.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Talked to someone last night relatively well plugged in. According to them the event in Jersey City before the Rutgers game was very tense. It was clear Martin knows he is in a tight spot with Dazzler. Interestingly they also said that BC is starting to feel the burn from a fundraising side and that development is saying they can no longer sustain what they’re doing. They’re making the rumblings internally that failures on the field are resulting in empty coffers. They also said that most people recognize that Leahy is the true problem and nothing will change until hes gone.

I wonder if Leahy apathy comes from feeling that he got burned by the move to the ACC. That seemed to be a savvy move on his part at the time but I wonder if the decisions since then are making him regret and thus take no interest in athletics.

Leahy okayed a $50 million (or whatever) football facility in a prime spot on campus and pays the head coach north of $3 mil. He’s not playing Palmer/Muse or calling running plays on 3rd and 1 with no TOs left.

Leahy approved a ten year strategic plan, of which the Fish Field House was a part. Let’s not pretend he all of a sudden became invested in the college football arms race. And while I admire the effort to get the program up to speed with most programs circa 2008, the indoor practice facility is a glorified Quonset hut plopped down over some Astro turf.

I’ll stack that indoor facility up against anyone else’s in the non-Clemson/Oregon division (including almost all NFL teams). That’s a super nice facility and they pumped a lot of money into it. The Bucs just built a new one and BCs is nicer. The weight room is also awesome.

The football facilities or admin support is not the problem with football. It’s the coaching.

You mean the admin support that determines when we can hire and fire coaches and how much we can pay them? That admin support?

Don’t be fooled into thinking that building a woefully long overdue indoor practice facility suddenly represents a sea change in Leahy’s support for athletics. I’ll believe admins support for athletics has changed when they approve us hiring a real coach at a salary that doesn’t rank in the bottom of the ACC.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:24 pm

I thought Grosel's arm strength was pretty live. His touch wasn't great but vice versa is prob a much worse situation
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:I thought Grosel's arm strength was pretty live. His touch wasn't great but vice versa is prob a much worse situation

Arm strength doesn't seem to be an issue and I think his fastball was actually the cause of some of the drops.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:I thought Grosel's arm strength was pretty live. His touch wasn't great but vice versa is prob a much worse situation

Lol.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Lol.

Anthony Brown has a better arm. For purposes of this discussion, I am comparing Grosel to the other QB greats over the last 5 years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Lol.

Anthony Brown has a better arm. For purposes of this discussion, I am comparing Grosel to the other QB greats over the last 5 years.

Do you prefer: smartest kid on the short bus... or tallest midget?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:22 am

That last possession reminded me of the our last possession in the FSU game last year, but at least we got one 1st down (because of a penalty) this time. I am not sure why Flowers was running a 5 yard slant on the 1st down incompletion and if we are going to have a TE in, shouldn't it be Long not Burt?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:That last possession reminded me of the our last possession in the FSU game last year, but at least we got one 1st down (because of a penalty) this time. I am not sure why Flowers was running a 5 yard slant on the 1st down incompletion and if we are going to have a TE in, shouldn't it be Long not Burt?

Louisville bringing the house obviously confused Grosel as to what to do in that situation. That wasn't too surprising considering his lack of reps. The OL letting them in so easy is a different story.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:39 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Talked to someone last night relatively well plugged in. According to them the event in Jersey City before the Rutgers game was very tense. It was clear Martin knows he is in a tight spot with Dazzler. Interestingly they also said that BC is starting to feel the burn from a fundraising side and that development is saying they can no longer sustain what they’re doing. They’re making the rumblings internally that failures on the field are resulting in empty coffers. They also said that most people recognize that Leahy is the true problem and nothing will change until hes gone.

I wonder if Leahy apathy comes from feeling that he got burned by the move to the ACC. That seemed to be a savvy move on his part at the time but I wonder if the decisions since then are making him regret and thus take no interest in athletics.

Leahy okayed a $50 million (or whatever) football facility in a prime spot on campus and pays the head coach north of $3 mil. He’s not playing Palmer/Muse or calling running plays on 3rd and 1 with no TOs left.

Leahy approved a ten year strategic plan, of which the Fish Field House was a part. Let’s not pretend he all of a sudden became invested in the college football arms race. And while I admire the effort to get the program up to speed with most programs circa 2008, the indoor practice facility is a glorified Quonset hut plopped down over some Astro turf.

I’ll stack that indoor facility up against anyone else’s in the non-Clemson/Oregon division (including almost all NFL teams). That’s a super nice facility and they pumped a lot of money into it. The Bucs just built a new one and BCs is nicer. The weight room is also awesome.

The football facilities or admin support is not the problem with football. It’s the coaching.

You mean the admin support that determines when we can hire and fire coaches and how much we can pay them? That admin support?

Don’t be fooled into thinking that building a woefully long overdue indoor practice facility suddenly represents a sea change in Leahy’s support for athletics. I’ll believe admins support for athletics has changed when they approve us hiring a real coach at a salary that doesn’t rank in the bottom of the ACC.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/colle ... 4ed72.html

Addazio got a raise to $3.3 million (or so) for this year. That would put him 7th in the ACC. You can blame them for hiring bad coaches, but it's not a money or facilities issue. BC is never going to pay what Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc. pays.

The admin support is not why they lose football games week after week.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:42 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:That last possession reminded me of the our last possession in the FSU game last year, but at least we got one 1st down (because of a penalty) this time. I am not sure why Flowers was running a 5 yard slant on the 1st down incompletion and if we are going to have a TE in, shouldn't it be Long not Burt?

Louisville bringing the house obviously confused Grosel as to what to do in that situation. That wasn't too surprising considering his lack of reps. The OL letting them in so easy is a different story.

I take no pleasure in being correct here, but expecting Grosel who was a PWO to be anything more than Fadule is going to leave you very upset. The fact he's your backup behind a kid who tore his ACL last year is a direct indictment on the coaching staff and their complete inability to evaluate talent (even on the current roster).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 am

Grosel is better than Fadule and I'm bored of people who bragged about not watching the game arguing about his arm strength
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Grosel is better than Fadule and I'm bored of people who bragged about not watching the game arguing about his arm strength

Billy Grosel is a more accurate thrower of the football in the throw game than Brown.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I take no pleasure in being correct here, but expecting Grosel who was a PWO to be anything more than Fadule is going to leave you very upset. The fact he's your backup behind a kid who tore his ACL last year is a direct indictment on the coaching staff and their complete inability to evaluate talent (even on the current roster).

He was All-Ohio Division I his junior year at St. Ignatius. I don't know why he didn't get more offers but obviously he was really good in a strong conference at a big time football school.
He's not a roadblock for us winning 6-7 games this year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I thought Daz might hand the headset back to Reid this week but he won't 1) because he's all about consistency as mentioned before and 2) being "all about consistency" is just another way of saying too stubborn to admit a mistake and make a change.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I thought Daz might hand the headset back to Reid this week but he won't 1) because he's all about consistency as mentioned before and 2) being "all about consistency" is just another way of saying too stubborn to admit a mistake and make a change.

No DC in the world is saving this defense with no pass rush and this secondary.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I thought Daz might hand the headset back to Reid this week but he won't 1) because he's all about consistency as mentioned before and 2) being "all about consistency" is just another way of saying too stubborn to admit a mistake and make a change.

disagree

at this point, "saving the defense" has to be defined as to doing whatever necessary to get us 3-4 wins out of the next six. it's gonna be difficult but not impossible ; it's going to take playing the right people in the right positions and a lot of good coaching.

I firmly believe a good DC could accomplish this against a mediocre ACC this year

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 am

if we see el attrach, palmer and haynes in the back end next saturday, it'll be time to close up shop and wait till black sunday
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

disagree

at this point, "saving the defense" has to be defined as to doing whatever necessary to get us 3-4 wins out of the next six. it's gonna be difficult but not impossible ; it's going to take playing the right people in the right positions and a lot of good coaching.

I firmly believe a good DC could accomplish this against a mediocre ACC this year

The absolute worst result here is Daz figuring out a way to win another 3-4 games. I can't sit here and cheer for BC to lose, but the best result for the long-term of the BC football program is 3-9 and firing everyone.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 am

he's certainly not winning 7 and probably not getting to 6. the question is 6 or less acceptable for mj in year 7.

after what went down this march with jc, no one can answer that
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

disagree

The absolute worst result here is Daz figuring out a way to win another 3-4 games. I can't sit here and cheer for BC to lose, but the best result for the long-term of the BC football program is 3-9 and firing everyone.

FUCK YOU micropenis

how is winning no more games this year the best result long-term for the program? it will destroy this year's and probably next year's recruiting class, no 4 weeks of practice this year will disadvantage the team and make next year an upward climb, plenty of athletes will transfer out reducing the talent on the team, and lastt but not least probably make us the joke of the ACC again, etc. and for what? another MAC hire? it will set the program back another 5 years. um, no thanks.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

disagree

FUCK YOU micropenis

how is winning no more games this year the best result long-term for the program? it will destroy this year's and probably next year's recruiting class, no 4 weeks of practice this year will disadvantage the team and make next year an upward climb, plenty of athletes will transfer out reducing the talent on the team, and lastt but not least probably make us the joke of the ACC again, etc. and for what? another MAC hire? it will set the program back another 5 years. um, no thanks.

I'll let you go to bat advocating for retaining Addazio to win 6 or 7 games every year.

1. Recruiting rankings are stupid, but it's not like either of these classes are program altering
2. All the practice in the world isn't going to cure the stupid scheme or lack of talent on defense nor the Head Coach being unable to manage a game
3. God forbid we lose some players via transfer off of this team
4. This program is already a joke. We won 1 conference game already. There's nowhere to go but up
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium