THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON--OPINIONS REQUESTED!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON--OPINIONS REQUESTED!

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:33 am

1--Say Russell Wilson has the game of his life and NCSU pings Clemson.

2--BC has had a week to rest to play a beat up by Miami team in Virginia, a tough and improving NC team at our last Senior home game and then the worst team in the Atlantic Maryland on the road.

This season started with no QB and the best I figured was 3-9 or 5-7. BC has had two horrible road losses where we were zombies and got dominated and physically intimidated from the opening gun like no other BC teams since the Blunders era.

BC looked pathetic...... and then the ND loss, to a bad ND team.

I will copy from the other thread the 5 FBS teams we have beaten and only CMU was playing well, but they are only a non-BCS power conference leader. BC has not beaten a winning team, other than CMU.

Kent State --- 5-5
Wake Forest --4-6
Florida State -- 4-5
NC State --4-5
Central Michigan -- 7-2

Aside from a MAC Power, not one winning record or tough ass win on the road.

BC should be favored or should beat these 3 teams.

I am disqualifying myself since after 7 years or more, I have very strong feelings about Spazoo, GDF and the present coaches.

I believe only a Tsunami or 3 BC coeds in bed with Spaz will prevent him being here at least 4. or probably all 5 years.

THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON:

If Clemson loses 1 and BC somehow loses a game, how do you feel about the coaching staff, team and is this a worst WTF then Diamond Orange Ferri and Syracuse?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON--OPINIONS REQUESTED!

Postby Eagledom on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:1--Say Russell Wilson has the game of his life and NCSU pings Clemson.

2--BC has had a week to rest to play a beat up by Miami team in Virginia, a tough and improving NC team at our last Senior home game and then the worst team in the Atlantic Maryland on the road.

This season started with no QB and the best I figured was 3-9 or 5-7. BC has had two horrible road losses where we were zombies and got dominated and physically intimidated from the opening gun like no other BC teams since the Blunders era.

BC looked pathetic...... and then the ND loss, to a bad ND team.

I will copy from the other thread the 5 FBS teams we have beaten and only CMU was playing well, but they are only a non-BCS power conference leader. BC has not beaten a winning team, other than CMU.

Kent State --- 5-5
Wake Forest --4-6
Florida State -- 4-5
NC State --4-5
Central Michigan -- 7-2

Aside from a MAC Power, not one winning record or tough ass win on the road.

BC should be favored or should beat these 3 teams.

I am disqualifying myself since after 7 years or more, I have very strong feelings about Spazoo, GDF and the present coaches.

I believe only a Tsunami or 3 BC coeds in bed with Spaz will prevent him being here at least 4. or probably all 5 years.

THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON:

If Clemson loses 1 and BC somehow loses a game, how do you feel about the coaching staff, team and is this a worst WTF then Diamond Orange Ferri and Syracuse?

too many fucking "ifs" here. Wait until the season is over and then assess it....
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 am

Eagledumb is just like some others---- gonna post the opposite of my political, sports or life opinion just to be an asshole.

He is a baby maker"S baby maker.

If Eagledumb is in fact the old OJ, then I was right to stop replying to this despicable twat.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:02 am

campion {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey oj - isn't this the point of the message board? if we waited until the end of the season to assess everything and provide opinions, there would be no need for anyone to be here (other than to oogle pictures of dinich necked clams)

Hey-- Gooey ducks are athletes, too.

it is truly a wondrous testament to the times and human accomplishments that this picture exists.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 am

I'll give you my opinion, 74. If things play out the way you describe, I will be satisfied with a prettu decent job for a first year, albeit older than Moses, coach. 8-4 and 5-3 in the ACC despite the watered down schedule is a decent outcome to a season that I had low expectations. I would give him a B for the season. Spaz' recruiting seems to be okay so I am fine with :spaz2 . He is a little like :toby but nowhere near as bad.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 am

campion {l Wrote}:I know. In the old days the gooey duck jockeys had to beat their horses into racing faster, and sometimes the clam turned on his rider, and it got really nasty.

what would PETA throw on people for abusing there gooey ducks? do they have blood? (i have a guess, you use it in your work)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 am

Fair enough Geronimo.

Recruiting is another variable, but as we can see from Weis, you can have 20 top recruits and still fail.

Recruiting is something you Judge on a 5 year rolling basis by wins and BCS wins.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:29 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:THE QUESTION OF THE 2009 SEASON:

As far as the WTF - definitely can't compare a hypothetical WTF loss with a real one unless you expand on how the loss occurs, to whom, etc.

Feeling about the coaching staff is different. Short of a NC, the goal every year is to be ACC champs. I don't care what the expectations are. There is no reason that shouldn't be a realistic goal every season. If they fall short, I will be disappointed. Not in the fact that they were in it down the stretch, though. I'll still be extremely disappointed at laying complete eggs at Lane and Death Valley - nothing will change that.

But my feelings at 8-4, 5-3 will be that this coaching staff does have the capacity to get this program to its goals. That it is capable of pleasing even the most critical fan. And with the right adjustments and continued recruiting, it can get BC to that next level despite its shortcomings.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 am

I'll answer the question.

8-4 is what I predicted at the beginning of the season. So an 8-4 season would not be a disappointment for me. I can't change my predictions based on expectations of beating 3 inferior teams and hold the players and the coaching staff responsible if they don't. I said 8-4, I'm sticking with that. That said, I thought Shinskie would have been better on the road than he has been, but I didn't expect the team to be so dominant at home. It all averaged out (so to speak.)

If Wilson punks out Clemson (wont happen, but if it does) and BC goes 2-1 over the remaining 3 games, my happiness or "contentment" depends entirely on which one of the 3 opponents BC loses to: #1) if they lose to Vagina, that is okay since they still go to Tampa #2) if they lose at home to UNC that is still okay since they still go to Tampa BUT #3) if they lose at Maryland that would be "unfortunate" since they had Tampa in the palms of their hands and they let it go. Of course, they went 8-4 so I won't disappointed. The team would have met my expectations.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:13 am

with this schedule, anything less than 9-3 is a disapointment.

all we can hope for is for BC to take care of business and let the chips fall as they may.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am

Let me also add that there is nothing that BC could do at the Kobayashi Maru (should they get the cahnce to be there) that would make me angry with the players, the coaching staff, or the BC administration. The mere fact that they got there in this tumultuous season, would leave me more than satisfied. If they get a dick up their ass and lose to GTech 45-0, well that is okay, at least they got there which means (win or lose) we can all look that asshole Heisman winner Andre Ware in the face and tell him that he has no clue about (today's) college football.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
If Wilson punks out Clemson (wont happen, but if it does) and BC goes 2-1 over the remaining 3 games, my happiness or "contentment" depends entirely on which one of the 3 opponents BC loses to: #1) if they lose to Vagina, that is okay since they still go to Tampa #2) if they lose at home to UNC that is still okay since they still go to Tampa BUT #3) if they lose at Maryland that would be "unfortunate" since they had Tampa in the palms of their hands and they let it go. Of course, they went 8-4 so I won't disappointed. The team would have met my expectations.

Is that still true, though? I thought those scenarios assumed a three-way tie in the Atlantic, which isn't happening unless BC and Clemson each lose two more. If I understand things right, if we lose one and Clemson loses one, it doesn't matter who the losses are to, we are out.

If we each lose two more, and we lose our two to Virginia and UNC, I believe we are in, with a ridiculous 4-4 conference record.

I will say that while I have been tough on the current coaching staff, if each team loses one I won't be too disappointed. I don't expect Clemson to lose, though. When we played Clemson, their offense was atrocious, and we should have been able to win that one. If we had done that, we wouldn't be having the same discussion that we are having now. I still believe that VT was just better than us, although not as good as we made them look. Notre Dame, it's tough to blame it too much on the coaching staff. We just put the ball on the ground/in the hands of their DBs too much. If you are going to blame the coaches for our players making those types of mistakes, you would also have to give them a lot of credit for the unexpected good play of keuchly and some others.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am

Is that still true, though? I thought those scenarios assumed a three-way tie in the Atlantic, which isn't happening unless BC and Clemson each lose two more. If I understand things right, if we lose one and Clemson loses one, it doesn't matter who the losses are to, we are out.

If BC and Clemson both go 6-2, Clemson goes to Tampa and BC doesn't since both teams have the same ACC record, the same ACC divisional record, and Clemson won the head to head.

If BC and Clemson both go 5-3, then it depends entirely on which ACC teams BC and Clemson lose to in the next couple/three weeks. Remember, it goes overall ACC record first, then divisional record, then head-to-head. So if Clemson loses to NCState on Saturday, the most important game (remaining) on BC's schedule is Maryland. If Clemson beats both NCState and Duke, then it doesn't matter.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

If we each lose two more, and we lose our two to Virginia and UNC, I believe we are in, with a ridiculous 4-4 conference record.

I will say that while I have been tough on the current coaching staff, if each team loses one I won't be too disappointed. I don't expect Clemson to lose, though. When we played Clemson, their offense was atrocious, and we should have been able to win that one. If we had done that, we wouldn't be having the same discussion that we are having now. I still believe that VT was just better than us, although not as good as we made them look. Notre Dame, it's tough to blame it too much on the coaching staff. We just put the ball on the ground/in the hands of their DBs too much. If you are going to blame the coaches for our players making those types of mistakes, you would also have to give them a lot of credit for the unexpected good play of keuchly and some others.

The 3 way tie came into play if FSU won out (meaning a win at Clemson) and BC lost 1. In that case it would have gone to best in division and beating UMD would have been essential for BC to get that tiebreaker. That would have made all 3 5-3, but FSU and BC would eliminate CU because Atlantic records would be 4-1, 4-1 and 3-2. BC would get the tiebreak because they beat FSU head to head. But that scenario is now out unless BC, CU and another team(s) end up in a tie at 4-4.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:44 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Is that still true, though? I thought those scenarios assumed a three-way tie in the Atlantic, which isn't happening unless BC and Clemson each lose two more. If I understand things right, if we lose one and Clemson loses one, it doesn't matter who the losses are to, we are out.

If BC and Clemson both go 6-2, Clemson goes to Tampa and BC doesn't since both teams have the same ACC record, the same ACC divisional record, and Clemson won the head to head.

If BC and Clemson both go 5-3, then it depends entirely on which ACC teams BC and Clemson lose to in the next couple/three weeks. Remember, it goes overall ACC record first, then divisional record, then head-to-head. So if Clemson loses to NCState on Saturday, the most important game (remaining) on BC's schedule is Maryland. If Clemson beats both NCState and Duke, then it doesn't matter.

Listen up Einstein...

BC and Clemson go 5-3, Clemson beat BC and Clemson goes. Head to head is first.

end of fucking story.

look at the standings. all the other 4 have 4 losses?????????????????????????????????????????

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 am

I think it goes divisional record before head-to-head.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:49 am

INNOCENT RETARDO IS A FUCKING IDIOT.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 am

If more than one team in the same division is tied for the
best winning percentage in its Conference games, then, in
order to determine the Divisional Champions, the procedures
listed below will be followed:
Two-Team Tie:
1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division
with the best overall record. (Divisional) Conference
record and preceding through the division. Multiple ties
within the division broken from fi rst-to-last.
4. Overall record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all non-divisional teams.
6. Record versus common non-divisional teams based on
their order of fi nish (divisional and non-divisional) and
proceeding through other common non-divisional teams
based on their order of fi nish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl
Championship Series Standings following the end of regular
season game shall be the divisional representative in the ACC
Championship Game.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw.
Three-Team (or More) Team Tie
(Once tie has been reduced to two teams,
the two-team tiebreaker format is used.)
1. Combined head-to-head record among teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the
division with the best overall (divisional or conference)
record, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties
within the division will be broken fi rst to last.
4. Overall record for non-divisional teams.
5. Combined record versus all common non-divisional
teams.
6. Record versus common non-divisional with the best
overall Conference (divisional and non divisional record)
and proceeding through the other common non-divisional
teams based on their order of fi nish within the division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the BCS Standings
following the conclusion of regular season games shall
be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship
Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within
fi ve-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In
this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked
tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC
Championship Game.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I think it goes divisional record before head-to-head.

In what galaxy is this EVER true? Head to head matters more than division record. Everywhere all the time. Always.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 pm

For a two team tie for overall ACC record, it appears head-to-head is more important than divisional record. I was wrong. :suicide

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082105aad.html
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:For a two team tie for overall ACC record, it appears head-to-head is more important than divisional record. I was wrong. :suicide

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082105aad.html

No fucking shit.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:08 pm

We're all looking ahead too much. If we message board posters don't start focusing on the UVA game, it won't matter what Clemson does or what the tiebreaker is because we'll have been stomped to death by Al Groh's floppy red shoes.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i can't believe you guys continue to argue with a person that SWORE UP AND DOWN that bc was a college (not a university) because it didn't have an engineering school.

all of you deserve the agita

I don't believe that anything I did would be considered "arguing". I am giving him the Eagledom-ass treatment.

:backpedal
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:We're all looking ahead too much. If we message board posters don't start focusing on the UVA game, it won't matter what Clemson does or what the tiebreaker is because we'll have been stomped to death by Al Groh's floppy red shoes.

:kudos
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:27 pm

i can't believe you guys continue to argue with a person that SWORE UP AND DOWN that bc was a college (not a university) because it didn't have an engineering school.

Oh I am not even arguing this one TRE, I totally screwed up. I got it backwards and assumed (incorrectly) that divisional record was more important than head-to-head. Mea culpa.

Lets just focus on fucking Vagina.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bcsouth on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Given the expectations before the season, including having no quarterback, losing your best player to cancer, and his sidekick linebacker as well, then accounting for a new untested head coach and a curious offensive coordiantor hiring, then having your projected starting QB dismissed from school, led me to believe that this was a seven win at best season, and that was if things broke right. After what I saw in the first real game of the seaon at Clemson, I reassessed to a 5 win season. so for me in the end if this team gets a break through NC State and then loses to say UNC at home, I would not consider that a WTF loss. IF NC beats Miami this weekend which I think will happen then they will have beaten a top ten team on the raod in VT and a top 15 BCS team in Miami. Any loss to to a team that has that on its resume is not a WTF loss. Just cant be.
bcsouth
n00b

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:30 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Oh I am not even arguing this one TRE, I totally screwed up.
Lets just focus on fucking Vagina.

LISTEN UP. WHAT THE TWO OF YOU DO TOGETHER IS YOUR OWN BUSINESS. LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:We're all looking ahead too much. If we message board posters don't start focusing on the UVA game, it won't matter what Clemson does or what the tiebreaker is because we'll have been stomped to death by Al Groh's floppy red shoes.

:kudos

:pepper2 :81 :kudos :kudos

If we lose to Vagina and Blunders beats Clemson, then Spazoo, Topoo and McGoo have some 'splaining to do since Virginia is spent and beaten up from Miami and we are well rested and Shinskie has had more reps to practice and knows he is the man..and the smae for UNC at home on Senior Day and the Turtles.

No Excuses.

9-3 should be the deal.

Clemson wins the last 2, then so be it.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby AMDG on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:If Clemson loses 1 and BC somehow loses a game, how do you feel about the coaching staff, team and is this a worst WTF then Diamond Orange Ferri and Syracuse?

1. The 2004 Syracuse game is among the top 3 WTF's in the history of the school (1942 and 1977 HC are the other 2). There is no way either of the remaining games can come close.

2. So far this year there has not been a true WTF.

BC was not prepared for VT or Clemson, however, I was not surprised by the losses. The ND loss was due to a -5 turnover ratio - The fact that BC was in it to the very end with a -4 ratio going into the last drive is a surprise in and of itself.

At the beginning of the year I thought 8-4 was a beast case scenario. While upset about the Clemson and VT games the games that really pissed me off were Wake and FSU. These games were flashbacks to the TOB heart wrenching victories (Boise State for example - you know the games where you walk out pissed even though BC won) or defeats snatched from the jaws of victory (NCSU, ect.).

The good news is that BC seemed to take a different tack against NC State and never took the foot off their throat.

Bottom line - Even if we lose one of the three remaining games my view of the coaching staff will be neutral to slightly positive.

The good -
1. It looks like they made the correct choice on QB. Tough for me to say because I was a Tuggle guy.
2. The defense has played much better than I anticipated. I was only able to attend the Wake Forest game and I noticed that they were very disciplined in staying in their lanes. This could bode well for a potential match-up against GT.
3. The NC State game is a hopeful sign that BC will not take its foot off the accelerator if there is 4th quarter lead. The plus is that this is a sign that the staff can learn from their mistakes (The thing about TOB is that he never learned from his mistakes.).
4. The play of Schinskie and Kuechly indicates an ability to coach players up. It also shows an ability to find diamonds in the rough - something BC recruiting needs to succeed.

The Bad -
1. The team was unprepared and uninspired (except for the defense against Clemson) for the two biggest games of the year.
2. Spaz comes across as being too low key. I don't know how he is in the locker room but I wish he showed a little more fire when talking to the media.

Overall -
Finish 3-0 and I think the staff gets a B+. The grade is down from an A not so much for the losses to VT and Clemson but for the way BC lost. I could tell mid way through the first quarter of each of these games that it was going to be a disaster.

Finish 2-1 and they get a C+. Though BC will have exceeded my preseason expectations those were based on the idea that UNC, Virginia and NC State were going to be significantly better - since they are not as good as expected, 8-4 is not what I thought it was going to be at the beginning of the year.

The true test will be next year. The team will have to come out big for big games, otherwise, it will be TOB II.
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Now that kids and 74 was a great post!

I love the WTF historicals. That was special.

Your good and bad and grade analysis was simply superb!

Here are my favorite TOB WTF's in just the last 4 years of the Puscadore.

>> Here are the last 10 horrible losses over just TOB's last 4 years!

2003 -- Wake Forest -12, Syracuse -4, West Virginia -4.
2004 -- Wake Forest -3, Pittsburgh -10, Syracuse -12
== No BCS Bunny!
2005 -- North Carolina -5
== NO ACCCG Bunny/possible BCS Bunny.
2006 -- North Carolina State -6, Wake Forest -4 Miami -4.5
== NO ACCCG Bunny/possible BCS Bunny.
>>> TOBLUNDERS0-10, lost to 3 virtual freshman quarterbacks in 2006 as a favored team.

Like I said, BC had some shots at National Titles, and no one had a ceiling except TOBlunders0-13.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium