Official Gameday Thead - BC at Rutgres - 9/21/2019

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC at Rutgres - 9/21/2019

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Can anyone make out what was said in the background at around 7:56?

At around 9:00 or so, Daz addresses AB's inability to throw the ball consistently.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Decent game for the defense. Muse is a huge upgrade over Tate Haynes.
tho.

Muse was playing CB (I have not watched the 2nd half yet)?

Not to my knowledge. Maitre came in at CB in replace of Haynes.

Yes, confused Muse and Maitre. Maitre was a big upgrade. Muse is a very big S: assume he has coverage issues because the few times he showed up in ruin support he was a much better tackler than Palmer or Borgeson

Maitre, Muse and even Borgesen were a huge improvement over Palmer and Haynes
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 pm

I am not angry. I am not disappointed. I am happy the team won today by a couple touchdowns. Good. I'm sure that was a very pleasant bus ride back from New Jersey to Chestnut Hill.

That said, I watched the whole game and its clear to me, the players Addazio has are just not all the much better than the Rutgers player. They just aren't. We are expecting too much of them if we expect them to win much more than 5 or maybe 6 games this year. The players are marginal, terrible recruiting.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:This looks to me like the last win of the Steve Addazio era

What do you know that we don't?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:48 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I am not angry. I am not disappointed. I am happy the team won today by a couple touchdowns. Good. I'm sure that was a very pleasant bus ride back from New Jersey to Chestnut Hill.

They flew.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I am not angry. I am not disappointed. I am happy the team won today by a couple touchdowns. Good. I'm sure that was a very pleasant bus ride back from New Jersey to Chestnut Hill.

They flew.

ACC bucks?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 pm

just gonna get worse at this rate. that RU backup QB got a clean pocket almost every passing down by the looks of it.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:42 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

Wow. That is really impressive, really expensive, and really silly. That is too much aggravation. By the time you get to the airport, get checked in, go through security, wait at the gate for half an hour, fly 45 minutes to Logan, spend 15 minutes getting off the plane, wait to either pick up your bags at luggage claim and/or wait for the bus to get you back to Chestnut Hill, it would have been quicker just to drive the 5 hours in a bus.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:26 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

Wow. That is really impressive, really expensive, and really silly. That is too much aggravation. By the time you get to the airport, get checked in, go through security, wait at the gate for half an hour, fly 45 minutes to Logan, spend 15 minutes getting off the plane, wait to either pick up your bags at luggage claim and/or wait for the bus to get you back to Chestnut Hill, it would have been quicker just to drive the 5 hours in a bus.

Jesus nospace
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

They fly charter, they don't deal with any of that bullshit.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:16 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:How bad must Grosel and Valecce be that they can't beat out AB for the starting job?

Either that or SENIORITY

Both of them and Johnson looked really bad at the Spring Game. We can’t play them in real games

Valecce was the best QB st the Spring Game, not that it means anything against this D. The other two were horrific.

I'd recommend not basing talent evaluation on what Captain Catsup decides week to week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

Jesus nospace

I thought he was kidding at first then I realized who had posted. Like his hot takes on women and recruiting, never right but always certain.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 am

Ash’s seat is hotter than adazzio’s

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com ... utType=amp
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:How bad must Grosel and Valecce be that they can't beat out AB for the starting job?

Either that or SENIORITY

Both of them and Johnson looked really bad at the Spring Game. We can’t play them in real games

Valecce was the best QB st the Spring Game, not that it means anything against this D. The other two were horrific.

I'd recommend not basing talent evaluation on what Captain Catsup decides week to week.

This article about LSU switching to the spread offense lists Boston College as one of the hold outs against the modern football movement. Not a surprise to us obviously, but it drives home the point that skill players and QBs aren’t going to want to come and play in this system. That’s why it seems like every other program in the P5 has multiple QBs who can come in and make throws and we don’t.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:32 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Ash’s seat is hotter than adazzio’s

That article is laughably over optimistic about Rutgers. BC is terrible and far better than Rutgers. He seems to have ignored the fact that BC covered an 8 point spread that would have been 20 if not for the rightful overreaction to the Kansas game (which was reminiscent of Purdue last year).

Ash should be fired and his seat should be far hotter than Catsup but it's not because he lost to a BC team he should beat
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Either that or SENIORITY

This article about LSU switching to the spread offense lists Boston College as one of the hold outs against the modern football movement. Not a surprise to us obviously, but it drives home the point that skill players and QBs aren’t going to want to come and play in this system. That’s why it seems like every other program in the P5 has multiple QBs who can come in and make throws and we don’t.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron

This is true. But it also means they get TEs RBs and OL they shouldn't get. In theory.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 am

i don't have an issue with the overall offensive philosophy of power run with deep shots down field (it's working for wisconsin), i actually like it in it plays on some of our natural advantages and is different than others.

the execution with the throw game leaves a lot to be desired (that includes playcalling, WR, etc.)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am

in the last 36 drives, we have 1 sack
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:16 am

The philosophy isn’t terrible, it’s the execution and tactics that are mind numbing. Being unable to produce one decent qb in 7 years is also a miserable track record
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:12 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:The philosophy isn’t terrible, it’s the execution and tactics that are mind numbing. Being unable to produce one decent qb in 7 years is also a miserable track record

So you like 2 TEs on 3rd & long?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:35 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i don't have an issue with the overall offensive philosophy of power run with deep shots down field (it's working for wisconsin), i actually like it in it plays on some of our natural advantages and is different than others.

the execution with the throw game leaves a lot to be desired (that includes playcalling, WR, etc.)

It’s the above and also the personnel (on 3rd and 7 stop putting 3 TEs out there).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:The philosophy isn’t terrible, it’s the execution and tactics that are mind numbing. Being unable to produce one decent qb in 7 years is also a miserable track record

I don’t mind staying in 12 personnel, but they need to run vertical routes. Should be Levy in the backfield with Flowers and White out wide
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:45 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I don’t love the personnel no. I think running the hall and vertical passing are not a terrible idea. That being said it’d be far easier to make BC successful with a more modern offense.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 am

AB is not a bad quarterback. He is not put in a position to succeed by his coaches. When break the rock Daz runs AJ into the pile one first and second down, AB ends up throwing most of the time on 3rd and long. When he does this, our jackass coach has three TE on the field who get zero separation. So AB stares down the one true receiver that can (potentially) get free. I would love to see what AB could do with 3 or even 4 receivers.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:11 am

plus last year we had the highest drop % in p5, this year hasn't been much better.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:23 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

They fly charter, they don't deal with any of that bullshit.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

Jesus nospace

I thought he was kidding at first then I realized who had posted. Like his hot takes on women and recruiting, never right but always certain.

Do you not like him?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Ash’s seat is hotter than adazzio’s

This idea that the BC game is the straw that broke the camels back for Ash is insane. Hes won 3 B1G games in his first 3 seasons (0 in 2018 & 2016) and Rutgers has won 7 B1G games in last five full seasons. There is nothing that suggests they should be competitive with the bottom of the B1G or even BC under DopeyDick and this articles assertion that this was a winnable game for Rutgers is fantasy land.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

They flew.

Jesus nospace

Do you not like him?

Chickenman, with the exception of a puddle jumper flight out of Lexington/Concord airport to Mansfield airport to get "breakfast" at the airport restaurant 19 years ago, I have never flown charter in my life. And that one charter flight I was on took 2 hours on the tarmac to check the rented plane and make sure it was good to go. Now with so many family members of mine who work in the airline industry, I'm quite certain that I have flown more than almost anyone on this board (with the exception of Atlanta as I think he might also have family members who work for airlines.) But none of those flights have been "charter." So I have absolutely no idea how it really works.

You guys have educated me. Much like that glorious 1031 exchange information you gave me to avoid paying taxes on capital gains from real estate sales, I will not forget. I just "assumed" that the 60 players and 8 coaches had to check their bags, go through security, and sit at a gate for an hour (until their charter rolls up to the gate) like the rest of us commoners. We all know what happens when we "assume."
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:AB is not a bad quarterback.

Just stop. AB is about the worst 3-year starter I’ve ever seen. I thought that there was a punchers chance that the game would slow down for AB after so much time under center. It hasn’t. He was better as a freshman (because he was at least not afraid to run). He misses wide open guys. All. The. Time. The reason we crack the rock into a 10-man front is because the alternative offers less a chance. It speaks volumes that no QB has improved under Daz (or Spaz for that matter). It also speaks to how deplorable guys like Valecce and Johnson must be to not even be the backup to AB.

Finally... I despise people botching about playcalling. It is the laziest version of analysis based solely on the benefit of knowing what did and didn’t work. Folks here have bitched about play calling for every OC we’ve ever had. Even Logan got critiqued for not holding onto the ball long enough to give the D a chance to recover.

The problem with this team is the D. They are average against the run... but, historically bad against the pass. Like the first Pinstripe Bowl (with Tyler Murphy), this season was going to be one where the O would have to score a ton to carry the D. The only chance of this happening was (a) Dillon returning to his freshman form (he hasn’t) and (b) Brown taking the long-awaited step in his development (he may have regressed). We are losing to Pitt, NCS, CU and ND (no need to even watch those games). Ville, Cuse, FSU and Wake are all terrible teams comparable to VT, Kansas and Rutgers. We can lose them all or win them all... but will have a blend such that 5-7/6-6 is the result.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium