2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:41 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Of the names mentioned thus far (between Feldman and Thamel), my favorites (in order) are:
Hafley, Fickell and Elko. Beyond them, I could be convinced that Washington or Waldron wouldn’t be a disaster. Hard pass on the rest.

A lot of it is a crap shoot. Let’s be honest Fickell only one with a proven track record of success so after him, it’ll anyone’s guess.

Ficknell is going to have his pick of jobs. No way get him. Probably the same for Hafley.

Not denying that and I doubt he’ll be BC’s next coach. I’m just not going to fall in love with a candidate (read Diaco) and am just happy that that donkey, Addazio, is gone.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 pm

There’s an Espn premium article about this but I don’t have access
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Presser tomorrow is thanks Steve for your service, introducing Gunnell as interim. No way there’s a hire
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:There’s an Espn premium article about this but I don’t have access

First paragraph said Addazio “pulled off some big upsets” not sure what he was looking at.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Presser 9 am

Paging greenarthur

Feels like there will be a hiring announcement.

jarmond can't possibly be holding a press conference without having a hire lined up can he? imagine the questions

Press conference at 9 with jarmond followed by one with Gunnell

Although naming Gunnell interim wouldn’t really be necessary if there was a new coach announcement coming so soon...
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Presser 9 am

Paging greenarthur

Feels like there will be a hiring announcement.

jarmond can't possibly be holding a press conference without having a hire lined up can he? imagine the questions

Press conference at 9 with jarmond followed by one with Gunnell

Although naming Gunnell interim wouldn’t really be necessary if there was a new coach announcement coming so soon...

I assume you wouldn’t want the new coach to coach the team in the bowl so It makes sense to name an interim in the meantime. Can’t wait too long though... early signing period is in less than three weeks.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Jarmond has never done something like this. I think he’ll take a moment to reintroduce himself to the public. Explain what he is looking for (likely with an eye towards who he’s already identified as the most likely hire). I don’t think this search will last much beyond the week. But, I’d be shocked if it is done by Friday.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Probably got this list from this thread.

That list is terrifying. There are some really underwhelming names on there.

Most of that list is okay.

Only 3 of those 10 names received any relevant votes in our many polls.

Which is an endorsement.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Probably got this list from this thread.

That list is terrifying. There are some really underwhelming names on there.

Most of that list is okay.

Only 3 of those 10 names received any relevant votes in our many polls.

Which is an endorsement.

Fact.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:21 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Al Washington is our Dabo Swinney. Basically been vetted by his time here. This board has FOREVER overrated the HC position in their role in terms of calling offense/defense. I remember some assholes on this board going crazy that TOB didn’t wear a headset. In a well run program, most game day decisions are made midweek based on what to do given certain scenarios. HC is the emcee who trusts his coordinators and is a face of the program ala Dabo. Drinks coffee because he closes. If things go off script they make the big decisions (going for it on 4th down, fakes, etc). Al would be fine as our Dabo as long as he has good coordinators. He has enough experience (DL, LB, RB) position coaching and playing that he would get respect from the players. His response to Butler’s cheap shot on Kiwi is enough alone to earn that.

Yup, Addazio had nothing to do with us cracking the rock.

I said well run program. That was one of Addazio’s problem. Wanted to take ownership of everything and dipping his hands in.

But why wouldn't you want someone like Coughlin or Saban who have high attention to detail and want to get involved in things?

Jesus stop typing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:25 pm

I'd be alright with Waldron. Most of this board remains retarded. Next dumb ass that talks about the next Coughlin should be banned. Christ.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle1331 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 pm

A lot of Alumni players (who pushed after the ND loss for a change, threatening no more donations or public support for the program, like their intro's on TV) are pushing for Bill McGovern. Great guy, but not the right hire, IMO. Just throwing it our there.
Herzlich for Coach '09-'10
eagle1331
Carney Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 pm

I wish Addazio the best. He is leaving BC football in a better place than he found it, but he really needed to go. It was pretty obvious he knew his job was in jeopardy from his post-game speeches yesterday. I will be donating to BC athletics today. BC needs to know the fans support the decision.

I'd be fine with Washington. Definitely a risk, but I'm willing to gamble with him. Most of the following candidates would take the BC job and I would be okay with: Jeff Hafley, Anthony Campanile, Al Washington, Sonny Dykes, Bret Bielema, Brian Flores, Luke Fickell, Al Golden, Bill O'Brien, Mike Norvell.

I highly doubt it's Don Brown. Don Brown would be a disaster :suicide and will make me wish we kept Addazio.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 pm

The gumshoe is saying Al Washington is the leading candidate with Third Down Donnie Brown coming in as the DC and assistant head coach in a package deal fwiw.
Last edited by hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:49 pm

eagle1331 {l Wrote}:A lot of Alumni players (who pushed after the ND loss for a change, threatening no more donations or public support for the program, like their intro's on TV) are pushing for Bill McGovern. Great guy, but not the right hire, IMO. Just throwing it our there.

Jesus fuck. Those guys should stfu.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 pm

eagle1331 {l Wrote}:A lot of Alumni players (who pushed after the ND loss for a change, threatening no more donations or public support for the program, like their intro's on TV) are pushing for Bill McGovern. Great guy, but not the right hire, IMO. Just throwing it our there.

60 year old McGovern who was passed over like 3 previous searches??? As I‘ve said, our football alums are just terrible. They had nothing to do with Daz’s termination and hopefully won’t have any say on the next coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

60 year old McGovern who was passed over like 3 previous searches??? As I‘ve said, our football alums are just terrible. They had nothing to do with Daz’s termination and hopefully won’t have any say on the next coach.

Weren't they supportive of the Spaz hiring?

Speaking of retreads, has the ship sailed on Al Golden? Is he another 7 win type guy? I have to admit I am a little intrigued.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be alright with Waldron. Most of this board remains retarded. Next dumb ass that talks about the next Coughlin should be banned. Christ.

Because you think TC was a bad Hire (this wouldn't surprise me)????
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be alright with Waldron. Most of this board remains retarded. Next dumb ass that talks about the next Coughlin should be banned. Christ.

Why Waldron? Maybe he's a genius, but who knows whether he's mostly just a caretaker for McVay. He seems like a wonk more than a head coach, and stints as a positional coach at Umass don't suggest he has experience selling top recruits. It's nice to imagine a Logan type mind guiding the program, but I don't think we have much evidence that's what he is. And zero idea of whether he has the charisma and makeup to be the face of a program. At least Washington (who I'm not promoting) is known to be an excellent recruiter and understands the college game inside and out and is well respected for being a coach that can relate to players and inspire them (much more important in college than the pros)
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:09 pm

I'll bet Jarmond is happy that Daz won enough that he could put a foundation in place with facilities and fundraising, and now ecstatic he can put his stamp on the program with a hire. I'll believe he has been salivating for this moment and is comfortable that he'll get one of a small handful of guys he already knows. We'll see, but I have hope for the first time in a decade
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:I'll bet Jarmond is happy that Daz won enough that he could put a foundation in place with facilities and fundraising, and now ecstatic he can put his stamp on the program with a hire. I'll believe he has been salivating for this moment and is comfortable that he'll get one of a small handful of guys he already knows. We'll see, but I have hope for the first time in a decade

I’m kinda here. This is Marty’s chance to show bigger jobs what he can do. He may screw it up. But, I’d be floored if he pulled a Bates and hired Bill McGovern because he FB alums like him. I think he has an idea where he’s going. That said, shit changes fast when you go from hypothetical interest to marriage.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:I'll bet Jarmond is happy that Daz won enough that he could put a foundation in place with facilities and fundraising, and now ecstatic he can put his stamp on the program with a hire. I'll believe he has been salivating for this moment and is comfortable that he'll get one of a small handful of guys he already knows. We'll see, but I have hope for the first time in a decade

I’m kinda here. This is Marty’s chance to show bigger jobs what he can do. He may screw it up. But, I’d be floored if he pulled a Bates and hired Bill McGovern because he FB alums like him. I think he has an idea where he’s going. That said, shit changes fast when you go from hypothetical interest to marriage.

Maybe his confidence is in knowing that he has Al lined up as his final option. He would tell Al he's getting the job so long as he doesn't land a few other candidates (like Fickell or Hafley) he's going after. Al wouldn't balk because why would he ever turn down the BC job? And failing Fickell, maybe Jarmond is already working on a deal to land Hafley as HC with Al as DC. That would give us tOSU's two top recruiters. But if he's confident that Al is acceptable on his own if Hafley turns him down, then he really can't lose in this process.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Most of the donor class is living in the past. I've talked to the ones I know about bundling with conditions as a way to force BC to modernize. They look at me like I'm a communist. This is something that happens at most of the bigger programs. It's a way for larger donors to organize the smaller donors. One of my golf friends is part of a group that pools donations for his athletic department. He's only a ten grand a year donor, but he gets to meet with the AD a few times a year.

In so many ways, BC is behind the times. It is very frustrating.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 pm

I don’t think Al is in the picture. Again... no overlap with Marty. Jarmond is hitching his rep to this guy. He knows Fickell. He may view someone like Hafley as a top riser. I’d be shocked if he makes a very questionable hire of someone he doesn’t know. There is no coverage for his career unless that peculiar pick becomes a star.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I don’t think Al is in the picture. Again... no overlap with Marty. Jarmond is hitching his rep to this guy. He knows Fickell. He may view someone like Hafley as a top riser. I’d be shocked if he makes a very questionable hire of someone he doesn’t know. There is no coverage for his career unless that peculiar pick becomes a star.

He's not going to have direct overlap with anyone other than Fickell. But he undoubtedly has trusted sources at OSU who might be telling him Washington is ready. I'm not pushing Washington. Just saying that I bet MJ entered into this process knowing he has a guy he's OK with, not necessarily thrilled with, as a fallback option. Maybe that guy is Al, maybe it's someone else.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 pm

Where’s Bernard lonergan?? Bet he knows what’s up.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Because you think TC was a bad Hire (this wouldn't surprise me)????

Who the fuck is TC? The dumb fuck that destroyed the Giants a and Jags? Pass.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Years later, Al went after that motherfucker Brad Butler. Maybe Jarmond just wants to high-five him for taking care of his teammates.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Weren't they supportive of the Spaz hiring?

Speaking of retreads, has the ship sailed on Al Golden? Is he another 7 win type guy? I have to admit I am a little intrigued.

I still laugh when I think about spaz being locked out of a team meeting and pounding on the door [chuckles].
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Jesus BC alumni are stupid. It's not Tufts I guess.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium