2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Urban Meyer would be a disaster at BC. If you guys think Daz likes to not take responsibility, there is nobody worse than Utban. It wouldn’t be the football that sinks him but everything else would. He is a firm believer that players are there to play football and not play school. He takes no ownership of the academic side and that wouldn’t fly at BC.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I just want the next coach to take ownership of the football side of the program. We’ve spent over a decade with coaches whose sole concern was taking ownership of the academic side.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 pm

While I don’t disagree, that’s not the way it is at BC.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Jay Gruden is now available.

He played for Cowboy Jack at Barcelona. works for me.

This would be a more disorganized version of the Dan Henning era, and while I realize that people now look back with fondness on the Dan Henning era, it really was not good.

Who looks back in fondness on that error?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Jay Gruden is now available.

He played for Cowboy Jack at Barcelona. works for me.

This would be a more disorganized version of the Dan Henning era, and while I realize that people now look back with fondness on the Dan Henning era, it really was not good.

Who looks back in fondness on that error?

people that endured the Spaz error?

EDIT. I originally meant "era" but come to think of it, this might be more applicable.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Urban Meyer would be a disaster at BC. If you guys think Daz likes to not take responsibility, there is nobody worse than Utban. It wouldn’t be the football that sinks him but everything else would. He is a firm believer that players are there to play football and not play school. He takes no ownership of the academic side and that wouldn’t fly at BC.

I'll regret diving into this discussion, but isn't that why the football team has a fleet of tutors, academic advisors, etc.? You can go to class and win football games it's not mutually exclusive.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Urban Meyer would be a disaster at BC. If you guys think Daz likes to not take responsibility, there is nobody worse than Utban. It wouldn’t be the football that sinks him but everything else would. He is a firm believer that players are there to play football and not play school. He takes no ownership of the academic side and that wouldn’t fly at BC.

I'll regret diving into this discussion, but isn't that why the football team has a fleet of tutors, academic advisors, etc.? You can go to class and win football games it's not mutually exclusive.

BC requiring its student-athletes to attend classes is an institutionalized requirement. It is essentially out of a coach's hands. Daz isn't the one who is monitoring grades or attendance. All he does is allows the athletic department's academic support to work with the players. BC's coaches essentially would have to go out of their way to prevent the well-trenched system from operating.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 am

BC has academic support but it is not the “fleet” one would think like at 0.0hio st or other places where recruits can’t spell their own name. I am not looking to provoke the “BC can only recruit certain kids argument” here but recruits are told pretty much up front that if they aren’t willing to work hard in the classroom this isn’t the place for them. Scares away the kids that don’t want to “play school” which are the ones Urban would want.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:BC has academic support but it is not the “fleet” one would think like at 0.0hio st or other places where recruits can’t spell their own name. I am not looking to provoke the “BC can only recruit certain kids argument” here but recruits are told pretty much up front that if they aren’t willing to work hard in the classroom this isn’t the place for them. Scares away the kids that don’t want to “play school” which are the ones Urban would want.

I have no interest in recruiting kids that have IQs are room temperature. It's also not the reason we don't win football or basketball games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

Look, I am all in on a coaching change. I just know that we aren’t getting the Urban Meyer type at the end of the day. They aren’t the proper “fit” at BC.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 am

There’s no chance of Urban Meyer or anyone of his type. Doesn’t mean we couldn’t find a guy that could do well or at least better than Sarge.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:06 am

Scanning radio stations driving to work this morning I landed on toucher and rich while they were in the middle of shitting all over meyer. They were rattling off all the player arrests at florida and osu and of course hernandez. Don't know why they were talking about him in the first place, but it's a pipe dream for him comming to bc with all that baggage.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Scanning radio stations driving to work this morning I landed on toucher and rich while they were in the middle of shitting all over meyer. They were rattling off all the player arrests at florida and osu and of course hernandez.

Funny how they won't dare do the same regarding Belichick for the same reasons (and even the same players).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 am

Even debating someone like Urban Meyer is pointless. No way BC would hire him and no chance he'd have any interest in dealing with BC or its fans. Whoever pointed out that coaching at BC would not be less stressful for a guy like Meyer was right. A lot of the stress is internal.

And that's not to make a "we are what we are" kind of statement. There are people who can thrive at a place like BC. Coughlin was the gold standard. I also think someone with the temperament of Mike Leach would work...I thought he'd bail on Pullman at the first opportunity but he seems to like being at WSU.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Irishriviera {l Wrote}:Even debating someone like Urban Meyer is pointless. No way BC would hire him and no chance he'd have any interest in dealing with BC or its fans. Whoever pointed out that coaching at BC would not be less stressful for a guy like Meyer was right. A lot of the stress is internal.

And that's not to make a "we are what we are" kind of statement. There are people who can thrive at a place like BC. Coughlin was the gold standard. I also think someone with the temperament of Mike Leach would work...I thought he'd bail on Pullman at the first opportunity but he seems to like being at WSU.

Who are these BC fans you speak of? Especially compared to OsU, USC, etc.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Scanning radio stations driving to work this morning I landed on toucher and rich while they were in the middle of shitting all over meyer. They were rattling off all the player arrests at florida and osu and of course hernandez. Don't know why they were talking about him in the first place, but it's a pipe dream for him comming to bc with all that baggage.

Of course, you know who was Aaron Hernandez' chief recruiter to FLA was,don't you?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Scanning radio stations driving to work this morning I landed on toucher and rich while they were in the middle of shitting all over meyer. They were rattling off all the player arrests at florida and osu and of course hernandez. Don't know why they were talking about him in the first place, but it's a pipe dream for him comming to bc with all that baggage.

Marijuana led to Golden Tate robbing a donut shop led to Seattle led to Percy Harvin which started it.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Scanning radio stations driving to work this morning I landed on toucher and rich while they were in the middle of shitting all over meyer. They were rattling off all the player arrests at florida and osu and of course hernandez.

Funny how they won't dare do the same regarding Belichick for the same reasons (and even the same players).

These guys are shock jock comedians. Belichick isn't funny. Golden Tate getting high and robbing a donut shop is funny.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Irishriviera on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:36 pm

What about Brett Bielema? He had a good run at Wisconsin. His style would fit the roster.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Let’s pretend...
Let’s pretend Daz’s tenure ends this season.
Let’s pretend BC gets the fuck out of its own way.
Let’s pretend that Leahy sits on the sidelines.
Let’s pretend that Marty is motivated to nail this pick.
Let’s pretend that we don’t add burdens on the next coach.
Let’s pretend that we pay the average for the ACC.

Who would you want that we could realistically land?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Let’s pretend...

Bill Belichick
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 pm

The key word being “realistic “

Don Brown

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BC96 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Bill Belichick

Shane Waldron, but BC will end up with Randy Edsall.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby HammarMA on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I say roll the dice with Paul Peterson of the 5-1 Dixie State Trailblazers.
HammarMA
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 am

If I’m any AD, the first call I’d make is to Brent Venables. He may be as insane as Bob Diaco. But, you have to call and at least find out why he’s becoming the next Bud Foster.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

If I’m any AD, the first call I’d make is to Brent Venables. He may be as insane as Bob Diaco. But, you have to call and at least find out why he’s becoming the next Bud Foster.

He is a horrible "fit" at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

Venables is an absolute jackass. He gets a reach-around after every defensive call by some pissant coach assigned to make sure he’s behind the line. He may be talented at calling a defense but he is fucking embarrassing on the sideline. No thanks.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am

Again, go 10-2 and you can be a jackass on the sideline. It is the 6-6 version of the jackass that is already here that is embarrassing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, go 10-2 and you can be a jackass on the sideline. It is the 6-6 version of the jackass that is already here that is embarrassing.

Agreed. But 1999 has been incredibly consistent about this topic (and support of a BC "fit").
From a year ago: "Would love to see Venables get the TT job. It is embarassing to watch an ACC game and see this asshole get a reach-around by the assistant OL coach every defensive play because the bitch gets “lost in the moment” and has to get pulled back off the field."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am

If by “fit” you mean:
a. Can be successful at BC and
b. Won’t embarrass himself and the school

Then yeah. I’m looking for a good fit. Sarge is failing at both so I want a change.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium