2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Is Urban Meyer completely unrealistic? He has the Jarmond connection, and this would be significantly less stressful than Ohio St, Florida, etc.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Is Urban Meyer completely unrealistic? He has the Jarmond connection, and this would be significantly less stressful than Ohio St, Florida, etc.

We should hire him today in an advisory position like other acc teams have done. Urban can run the team while daz eats fries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/10/02/acc-schools-see-benefit-in-adding-ex-coaches-as-advisers/40233381/
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Is Urban Meyer completely unrealistic? He has the Jarmond connection, and this would be significantly less stressful than Ohio St, Florida, etc.

We should hire him today in an advisory position like other acc teams have done. Urban can run the team while daz eats fries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/10/02/acc-schools-see-benefit-in-adding-ex-coaches-as-advisers/40233381/

I've often wondered if the stress thing would entice him to BC. He would barely make a wave in Massachusetts, unlike getting stopped in every supermarket and gas station in Gainesville. I doubt he comes 1) because Leahy would never approve him and 2) I'm not sure he would take his friend's job
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:54 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:

epic response

+5

yes Daz can eat fries
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:42 pm

The question with a guy like Meyer, even assuming he's passing on the bright lights to run a 9-3/10-2 program at BC, which he might, is will they pay to make it happen. BC pays Catsup too much, but it might not be enough for a guy like Meyer. If he has the bug so bad to take short money to get back in the game, he'll suck it up and take the Brinks truck USC will back up for 3-4 years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The question with a guy like Meyer, even assuming he's passing on the bright lights to run a 9-3/10-2 program at BC, which he might, is will they pay to make it happen. BC pays Catsup too much, but it might not be enough for a guy like Meyer. If he has the bug so bad to take short money to get back in the game, he'll suck it up and take the Brinks truck USC will back up for 3-4 years.

Urban pays for himself. Increased ticket sales, which lead to more concessions, t-shirts, parking and donations. The marketing dept can also start selling some signage etc.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The question with a guy like Meyer, even assuming he's passing on the bright lights to run a 9-3/10-2 program at BC, which he might, is will they pay to make it happen. BC pays Catsup too much, but it might not be enough for a guy like Meyer. If he has the bug so bad to take short money to get back in the game, he'll suck it up and take the Brinks truck USC will back up for 3-4 years.

Urban pays for himself. Increased ticket sales, which lead to more concessions, t-shirts, parking and donations. The marketing dept can also start selling some signage etc.

There is a better chance that HCRD wins out, wins the College Playoff in Columbus this year... and then says "my heart has always been in Chestnut Hill" resigns at OSU to come back to BC as Daz's offensive coordinator.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

There is a better chance that HCRD wins out, wins the College Playoff in Columbus this year... and then says "my heart has always been in Chestnut Hill" resigns at OSU to come back to BC as Daz's offensive coordinator.

Made me laugh
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:29 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

I would love to agree with this. I think I have to agree with it because the "increase" (ticket sales & concessions) will just be people who know a thing or two about today's college football. Alas, I fear that far too many of BC's paying fans (the ones eagerly awaiting for BC to kick-off against Holy Cross) might not even know who Urban Meyer is.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Darren6 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Urban to USC makes more sense. He's only going to get back into CFB to coach at a place that can be in contention for a National Championship very quickly, and that's not happening at BC (especially with Clemson being in the same conference). He will take the USC job, win 9-10 games a year, win the PAC12 and ease into the playoffs.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:Urban to USC makes more sense. He's only going to get back into CFB to coach at a place that can be in contention for a National Championship very quickly, and that's not happening at BC (especially with Clemson being in the same conference). He will take the USC job, win 9-10 games a year, win the PAC12 and ease into the playoffs.

Its highly unlikely winning 9 or 10 games in the Pac-12 will get Urban (or anyone) into the playoffs. With 120+ FBS teams competing for 4 slots and the way the Power-5 conferences are constructed (what with all the pro-SEC bias) it is virtually impossible to get into the playoffs winning 10 in the Pac-12. You need to win at least 11 (plus the Pac-12 championship to go to 12+ wins) to have a shot at a playoff spot. Win only 10, and you need the luck of the 2007 season where everyone (including the eventual national champions) lost 2 games.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Darren6 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm

what with all the pro-SEC bias

There's no question that the SEC is hands down the strongest conference in CFB this year, and is generally one of the top two in CFB most years. But you're right about the win total, what I guess I meant to say was that he would have a relatively easy time winning the PAC12 and getting into the playoffs
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:42 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Made me laugh

And it's true. Urban Meyer will never come here. These guys have egos and he would be at best, the fifth most relevant coach in the Boston area.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Made me laugh

And it's true. Urban Meyer will never come here. These guys have egos and he would be at best, the fifth most relevant coach in the Boston area.

Eh I know everyone likes hockey but I'd go 4th here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 pm

I wouldn't mind Marcus Freeman
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:I wouldn't mind Marcus Freeman

More like Fickell with Freeman as DC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 am

Jay Gruden is now available.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am

2 years ago today was the 'it'll come together and it'll be beautiful' presser

what a lost decade for this school
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:2 years ago today was the 'it'll come together and it'll be beautiful' presser

what a lost decade for this school

If you had asked me, I would've said this was a year ago. What a waste.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Jay Gruden is now available.

He played for Cowboy Jack at Barcelona. works for me.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:34 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Jay Gruden is now available.

He played for Cowboy Jack at Barcelona. works for me.

This would be a more disorganized version of the Dan Henning era, and while I realize that people now look back with fondness on the Dan Henning era, it really was not good.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Manny on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 pm

I don't know the man, but I feel safe in saying there's no such thing as a "less stressful" coaching job for Urban Meyer. I guess maybe the 2 AM "Hey coach sorry to bother you but they're saying Aaron shot at someone again" calls could create an incremental difference, but not a material one.

And hey look at that, now I've somehow ended up posting about Urban Meyer in a thread about options for the BC job. So that's pretty hilarious.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Can someone break these all into tiers of "Most Likely", "Maybe, but only if Leahy is Gone", and "IWNH."

Thanks in advance.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:13 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Can someone break these all into tiers of "Most Likely", "Maybe, but only if Leahy is Gone", and "IWNH."

Thanks in advance.

Most Likely: (a) coaches you never heard of and (b) coaches you know you don't want
IWNH: everyone else
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

I just feel like it makes the most sense for Jarmond to get someone relatively young and more exciting than Daz, but not interesting enough to move the needle at all. That just sounds like Jason Candle to me.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm

I can’t remember...did we go after Carmichal the first time and he said no? I think he checks a lot of boxes and probably won’t bolt quickly since he’s an alum. I wouldn’t blame him for turning it down but worth a shot unless he’s waiting for an NFL gig.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:29 pm

I don't know why people hate the Don Brown idea so much. He's very low risk and as someone that lived through the Henning and Spaz debacles, that's worth something. He's 100% an upgrade over Daz and Toby.

There may be better options out there, but I'd be OK with letting Brown right the ship here before retiring.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm

That you mention Spaz is weird, b/c Don Brown is basically Spaz 2.0, qualifications-wise.

My comment about Jay Gruden was meant tongue in cheek. What on earth would make BC and that guy a good fit?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:00 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:That you mention Spaz is weird, b/c Don Brown is basically Spaz 2.0, qualifications-wise.

My comment about Jay Gruden was meant tongue in cheek. What on earth would make BC and that guy a good fit?

Don Brown will be 65 by the start of next season. The only posters who see him as a "fit" are his contemporaries.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium