2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:For what it’s worth (less than nothing):

Gumshoe says a deal is close with Al Washington or Jeff Hafley.

tgosb says there’s increasing interest with Jeff Monken.

Al Washington: BC Guy with no management experience who just landed a job in his hometown
Jeff Hafley: a well-regarded mover with no head coaching experience but just announced as a Broyles finalist (as well as a national recruiter award)
Jeff Monken: a brilliant, successful head coach who runs the triple option

I'd venture to say that there isn't an impartial school out there that wouldn't think that the Jeffs are an improvement over Dazoo.

monken is a very good coach, monken will not be our head coach

Would he run the triple option here?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Al Washington: BC Guy with no management experience who just landed a job in his hometown
Jeff Hafley: a well-regarded mover with no head coaching experience but just announced as a Broyles finalist (as well as a national recruiter award)

I'd venture to say that there isn't an impartial school out there that wouldn't think that the Jeffs are an improvement over Dazoo.

It looks like he's always run it, but he could get better/larger athletes.

The bigger question is: Why would he leave Army? From all that he's said, he loves the place and like Ken N. at Navy, Murphy at Harvard, and several others, some guys know where they want to be: "I hoped that I would have a chance to coach at a service academy again," he said. "I told my wife about five weeks ago when something came up, I said 'I need to go coach at a service academy again and not have to worry about these kids.' I kind of said it offhanded, but I've always felt an incredible sense of connection to the service academies."
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Damnit, I wish I could track down that photoshop of the jet with the angry chicken logo on it. I think it was Talon's but I couldn't find it in the photoshop HOF thread.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I'd rather move in with IB full time than watch BC run a triple option offense. We thought Daz''s crack the rock offense was bad - this would be utter garbage to watch.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am

The lack of rumors about Jarmond's actions and whereabouts in regard to the coaching hire is annoying.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

hansen {l Wrote}:The lack of rumors about Jarmond's actions and whereabouts in regard to the coaching hire is annoying.

Annoying, sure but I prefer that. A quiet process may allow for a pleasant surprise.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am

Why are we even discussing Jeff Monken? I have as much chance of being the next HC at BC as he does, which isn't to say that he has not done good things at Army. I think after the way Georgia Tech has cratered at the end of the Paul Johnson era and in the clean up thereafter, there are exactly zero P5 teams that will ever consider running the wishbone again largely because you will never be able to recruit any sort of talent in that offense--even good OL, who would prefer to work on pass blocking skills which make them marketable at the next level.

In other news, USC decided to light the 2020 season on fire by retaining Clay Helton. I never thought I would see USC exhibiting anything even remotely resembling a conscience, but it appears that the shenanigans that went on under the Poodle--and they were apparently much worse than even the NCAA came down on them for--have made the academic-powers-that-be to squash the Heritage Hall contingent and veto hiring Urbie or taking the low hanging fruit that is James Franklin.

What is really interesting is what this means for Luke Fickell or Matt Norvell. Norvell apparently declined an offer from Arkansas and is expected to decline Ole Miss as well in favor of Florida State. The Arkansas job is absolutely awful and a total coach killer, but it is possible to win sufficiently at Ole Miss and the administration will turn a blind eye to everything short of dialing up hookers from the football office and using the school G6 for hooker rendezvous paid for on school expense reports. You want to pay your players and let them do whatever they want, the school isn't going to say peep. Not sure that FSU is still an elite job, given the shitty facilities, lack of money and the fact that everyone recruits Florida. Bowden's success--as well as Schnellenberger/Johnson' success--was largely built on the fact that no one knew how loaded Florida as recruiting ground until the mid-80s and then relied on momentum to keep feeding the machine once the Notre Dames, Michigans, Ohio States, etc. started recruiting heavily down there in the late 80s. As there is no momentum anymore at FSU, I think the rebuild there is a lot harder than anyone who is still looking at it through the prism of a time that no longer exists thinks its will be.

In any case, if USC is not available this year, what does Fickell do? Is he content to stay at Cincinnati? Does he take an SEC job despite having no connection to the conference or would he take BC as an interim gig betting that he can build his resume further and wait for something better to come along or does he figure Helton is done after next year and wait it out at Cincinnati and get another easy 10 win plus season under his belt.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Why are we even discussing Jeff Monken? I have as much chance of being the next HC at BC as he does, which isn't to say that he has not done good things at Army. I think after the way Georgia Tech has cratered at the end of the Paul Johnson era and in the clean up thereafter, there are exactly zero P5 teams that will ever consider running the wishbone again largely because you will never be able to recruit any sort of talent in that offense--even good OL, who would prefer to work on pass blocking skills which make them marketable at the next level.

In other news, USC decided to light the 2020 season on fire by retaining Clay Helton. I never thought I would see USC exhibiting anything even remotely resembling a conscience, but it appears that the shenanigans that went on under the Poodle--and they were apparently much worse than even the NCAA came down on them for--have made the academic-powers-that-be to squash the Heritage Hall contingent and veto hiring Urbie or taking the low hanging fruit that is James Franklin.

What is really interesting is what this means for Luke Fickell or Matt Norvell. Norvell apparently declined an offer from Arkansas and is expected to decline Ole Miss as well in favor of Florida State. The Arkansas job is absolutely awful and a total coach killer, but it is possible to win sufficiently at Ole Miss and the administration will turn a blind eye to everything short of dialing up hookers from the football office and using the school G6 for hooker rendezvous paid for on school expense reports. You want to pay your players and let them do whatever they want, the school isn't going to say peep. Not sure that FSU is still an elite job, given the shitty facilities, lack of money and the fact that everyone recruits Florida. Bowden's success--as well as Schnellenberger/Johnson' success--was largely built on the fact that no one knew how loaded Florida as recruiting ground until the mid-80s and then relied on momentum to keep feeding the machine once the Notre Dames, Michigans, Ohio States, etc. started recruiting heavily down there in the late 80s. As there is no momentum anymore at FSU, I think the rebuild there is a lot harder than anyone who is still looking at it through the prism of a time that no longer exists thinks its will be.

In any case, if USC is not available this year, what does Fickell do? Is he content to stay at Cincinnati? Does he take an SEC job despite having no connection to the conference or would he take BC as an interim gig betting that he can build his resume further and wait for something better to come along or does he figure Helton is done after next year and wait it out at Cincinnati and get another easy 10 win plus season under his belt.

My only concern about Ficknell is that he takes the BC job and leaves after a year or 2. I have no problem with coaches aspiring to take the next job but having a coach bolt less than 3 years or so puts a lot of pressure to absolutely nail recruiting since there will be transfer losses and recruiting losses each time a coaching change is made... it is inevitable. unless of course, Fickell has BC win the ACC championship after 1-2 years in that case, I would absolutely fine with him leaving quickly because he at least would have taken us to the next level.

As for FSU, the rise of the directional Floridas, FIU, etc. has really hurt the UF, FSU, and Miami's of the world. It's just another recruiting challenge for schools that presumably have even lower standards and less morals than the FSUs of the world which is really saying something. They would probably even allow the athletic program to pay for team hookers on school expense reports if not for the fact that the schools are public and their books are therefore public... dirty, dirty programs.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

The triple option rules and I will not hear it slandered. That doesn't mean Monken would be the best choice for BC, but if you don't like watching option football I fear for your sanity.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:but it is possible to win sufficiently at Ole Miss and the administration will turn a blind eye to everything short of dialing up hookers from the football office and using the school G6 for hooker rendezvous paid for on school expense reports.

Two best things about Mississippi hookers? No teeth and they prefer moonshine to crank. Hotty toddy! Louisiana hookers prefer crank, which means they will grab your wallet, watch, belt buckle, copper wiring from the hotel room, and leap out the window in the time it takes you to pee. Alabama hookers - well, look out. You pay an Alabama hooker for services there's a fifty/fifty chance you'll have to later pay a Tennessee hooker to tree and then kill Alabama. Supposedly Arkansas has hookers but no one has ever survived to tell the tale.

Everything about these states' respective football programs can be understood by viewing them through the lenses of prostitutes. Louisiana is the most difficult because of how different the French hookers are versus upstate, which is why LSU is just as likely a coach-maker as a coach-killer.

EDIT FOR HANSEN - large southern state schools have student organizations variously labelled 'spirit squads' that are essentially amateur hookers for jocks. Certain social niches of the south produce these girls as reliably as kicking a dumpster will produce raccoons and seagulls.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 am

Manny {l Wrote}:The triple option rules and I will not hear it slandered. That doesn't mean Monken would be the best choice for BC, but if you don't like watching option football I fear for your sanity.

As someone whose earliest childhood memory was watching Notre Dame "break the bone" with Ross Browner and Willie Fry (along with Bob Golic and Steve Heimkreiter) against Texas and Earl Campbell in the 1978 Cotton Bowl, grew up watching Oklahoma-Nebraska on Thanksgiving weekends as a child, cut off his peewee football jersey at the bottom so he could look like the white version of J.C. Watts and loved watching Nate Sassman and Dee Dowis run the bone in the 80s for some very good Air Force and Army teams (Sassman had a particularly memorable performance when he almost willed Army to victory over Doug Flutie during Flutie's Heisman season before falling short 42-31 or thereabouts), I will not take a back seat to anyone in my love for the wishbone. If I had my way, we'd return to the great days of the 1970s and 80s and we'd build monuments to QBs like Watts, Dowess, Sassman, as well as Turner Gill, Tony Rice, Jamelle Hollieway, Darian Hagan, Major Harris, Jack Mildren and the incomparable Tommy Frazier. Another reason among many to hate Da U and laugh and poke fun when their players are murdered in drug hits is the way they started the move away from the bone and pushed football towards its evolution to contact basketball on turf.

As for Tonto's excellent treatise on Deep Southern hookers, I have nothing to add except I believe that Hugh Freese wasting business with hookers in the Tampa Bay and Miami greater metro areas, so perhaps he enjoyed a little latin flavor from time to time. Now that he is back in the good graces of Jesus and living in Roanoke, I think his hooker options are severely limited to meth heads who work the truck stops and strip clubs along I-81--mostly Appalachian talent if I am guessing correctly.

True story, the most hideous "high end" hookers I have ever seen were, in fact, Boston hookers who showed up to strip for a friend's bachelor party in Newport back in the late 90s. The horrifying accents alone were enough to make me and a couple of other attendees leave the beach house and subject ourselves to some typical Newport summer bar populated almost entirely by girls from Simmons, URI, Providence, ZooMass and Bryant, which is a level of horror I would not wish on anyone.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am

I suspect this is because you're from New York - founded by Dutch traders, commercial and competitive sensibilities are driven deep into any enterprise of any variety that is going to hit expectations in New York. Trashy hookers can never be marketed or survive as 'high end', and thus they are pushed to certain geographies where quality is less of a concern. New England, settled as it was by utopian religious extremists who were then trash-compacted with slow and terrifying inevitability into increasingly smaller spaces by waves of poor immigrants from Italy, Portugal, Ireland, and various other places, left deep commercial gaps in prostitution. The high-end high-money types who would be able to discern quality were crazy-eyed froth-spewing Scarlet-letter witch-burners raving from pulpits, leaving shanty Irish and paisan momones' ideas about quality in ladies of the evening to guide the industry forward.

Thus, gum-smacking, loud-talking Newport Masshole hookers festooned with mall-kiosk watches and 80s bangles, slow-rolling cheap lipstick that requires bleaching your penis to remove, behind a Three-Mile-Island cloud of eye-watering perfume. The horror.

EDIT - Missed your mention of SImmons. Yikes. A roommate of mine at BC made the juice with a girl from Simmons. She looked like a Mon-chi-chi. Remember those? He never lived it down. One vacation, one of our roommates from California found a ton of Mon-chi-chis for sale used and he bought all of them and shipped them back, where they were used to hang on the door knob anytime this guy made the juice with any other girl. Terrible humans.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 am

Recruits read these boards!
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Recruits read these boards!

Which would explain why most remain committed even without a coaching staff.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:05 pm

tOSU fans seem to be scared that they’re losing Hafley to us.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Recruits read these boards!

Was it AngryDick or was it TRE that ran off O'Day Aboushi?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:tOSU fans seem to be scared that they’re losing Hafley to us.

I had a feeling other fan bases would be how we get our intel. what are they saying? links?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm

This is very good hooker analysis. Probably the 3rd best hooker analysis thread in this site's history ("URGENT: HOOKER DISPOSAL TIPS?" was probably #1).

I have never made teh juice with a pro but a friend of mine does so several times a week. He keeps a catalogue on his phone with pictures and various other metadata to track his hookersmanship. He said his favorite was banging a porn star while watching a video of the porn star do porn. :koolaid
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:tOSU fans seem to be scared that they’re losing Hafley to us.

I had a feeling other fan bases would be how we get our intel. what are they saying? links?

citing blauds (so LOL), Hafley AND Washington close to coming to BC [EDIT: misread the original tOSU post, not both, but would be awesome if it happened]

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-stat ... 139813802/
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:03 pm

UConn would tell you that it is important to at least vet candidates through YouTube to see if they can string a few words together.
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-stat ... 139749490/

BTW... Blauds with the strangest ever reason why BC won't hire Fickell.
https://mavensports.io/college/tmg/mark ... 8Y82ibrSw/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 pm

I listen to the SBNation guys and Godfrey said today that he knows that BC has been looking at Eli Drinkwitz, HC at App State, previously NC State OC. Doesn't seem super proven but I wouldn't mind that hire. Over last weekend the only news they had was that they had heard that BC was looking at Pete Carmichael Jr.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Did we hire a search firm?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-Stat ... 139830364/

If anyone has a membership, I'd love to know what's beyond this blurb: "THE BOSTON COLLEGE JOB: I was told that Jeff Hafley is at/near the top of the list for BC and he is absolutely interested. A person I..."
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:I listen to the SBNation guys and Godfrey said today that he knows that BC has been looking at Eli Drinkwitz, HC at App State, previously NC State OC. Doesn't seem super proven but I wouldn't mind that hire. Over last weekend the only news they had was that they had heard that BC was looking at Pete Carmichael Jr.

Cannot think of a more peculiar fit for BC than Eliah Drinkwitz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:Pete Carmichael Jr.

underwhelming
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:I listen to the SBNation guys and Godfrey said today that he knows that BC has been looking at Eli Drinkwitz, HC at App State, previously NC State OC. Doesn't seem super proven but I wouldn't mind that hire. Over last weekend the only news they had was that they had heard that BC was looking at Pete Carmichael Jr.

Cannot think of a more peculiar fit for BC than Eliah Drinkwitz.

Smart to at least talk to him. If nothing else you hear another vision for the program that might help you pick another guy.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:29 pm

BTW... Blauds with the strangest ever reason why BC won't hire Fickell.
https://mavensports.io/college/tmg/mark ... 8Y82ibrSw/

Blauds shilling for UConn? Get outta here.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby durkcal on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm

My Order of preference:

1. Chuck Pagano
Players Love him. (see below) Better NFL WIN % than Carroll (before USC), Saban and Herm before going to college. 59 YO, Saban was 56 and Herm 64 when they took Bama and ASU jobs. Chuck has 15 yrs college experience!
“Definitely going to miss Chuck,” Brissett said. “He’s meant so much. A great guy, a great coach. Excellent example as a man to look at. Can’t thank him enough.”
Star wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, who arrived via the draft in 2013, turned into one of the league’s top deep threats under Pagano’s command.
“Meant a lot – six years with him. A player’s coach, you know, everybody loved him. Always speak highly of him,” Hilton said of Pagano. “He’s a very emotional guy, it makes us emotional. It makes us want to play for him, and everything he did, he did for a reason. We love him.”

Tied at 2. Dave Fipp - Eagles
Chris Hewitt - Ravens
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State HC, turned them on one season from perennial doormats to Big Sky Champs (never had won conf). 2017 and 18 - OC at Utah. The QB position will return to importance in Chestnut Hill under this man
Jeff Hafley - I like his NFL experience
Glenn Thomas - Baylor OC, former Temple OC, worked with Matt Ryan as his Falcons QB coach for three seasons
Gary Kubiak

8 Joe Moorhead
Rex Ryan
21 Pete Carmichael Jr
Mike Norvell
Don Brown
Elijah Drinkwitz
Tony Elliott

26 Clark Lea
33 Butch Jones
Eric Mangini
35 Jason Candle
40 Luke Fickell
45 Bret Bielema
50 Lance Leipold
55 Jeff Monken
75 Mike Elko -
85 Michael Reed
100 Al Washington - let him be Pagano's DC. I just really don't understand why we would give him this job and let him learn on it? What other FBS school is considering Al for head coach? The staff for a completely green head coach is going to be so vital, but is BC going to pay $1mm plus for Coordinators that can carry the weight for a green head coach? Doubt it. People are mistakenly thinking that it is getting him early. Defensive position coaches are just not comparable to coaches from the offensive side of the ball!! All the bright young guys that excel are offensive coaches at skill positions. The defensive hit rate on coaches is lower, and most of them have to go through DC and / or HC at lower level schools. And almost ALL of defensive oriented coaches turn out to be too conservative in game decisions.
105 Anthony Campanile
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Jesus.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC96 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Jesus.

definitely as the the recruiting coordinator
BC96
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium