2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BC923 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:21 pm

Herald guy on twitter says Hafley barring a snag or last minute candidate. Doubt he’s got an inside line but fwiw.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:30 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Herald guy on twitter says Hafley barring a snag or last minute candidate. Doubt he’s got an inside line but fwiw.

I'm surprised TRE has yet to post about this guy's haircut.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:05 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Herald guy on twitter says Hafley barring a snag or last minute candidate. Doubt he’s got an inside line but fwiw.

I don’t think it’s that far along yet. But, wouldn’t be surprised (and would be happy) if that was the result.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I don’t think it’s that far along yet. But, wouldn’t be surprised (and would be happy) if that was the result.

I agree. I don’t think it’s as close to wrapped up as the few headlines there have been have made it out to be.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Hafley is a good choice. Ron Rivera is an idiot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Ten thousand GoogleAdSense dollars says that Hafley is announced by noon on Tuesday.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:44 pm

First interview with Hafley was yesterday and 2nd is most likely Sunday or Monday. OSU people have reported he absolutely wants the job and if offered he’ll take it. Seems like Elko is the other top candidate with a couple after them but Hafley seems to be plan A.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Ten thousand GoogleAdSense dollars says that Hafley is announced by noon on Tuesday.

I only wager bitcoin
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:52 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:First interview with Hafley was yesterday and 2nd is most likely Sunday or Monday. OSU people have reported he absolutely wants the job and if offered he’ll take it. Seems like Elko is the other top candidate with a couple after them but Hafley seems to be plan A.

I would so much rather have Hafley than Elko
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:05 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree. I don’t think it’s as close to wrapped up as the few headlines there have been have made it out to be.

BC is different than pretty much every Power 5 conference (with the exceptions of Stanford, Duke, Wake, Northwestern and Vandy). The school's value is not inextricably tied to its sports teams. While we all hope for the best, we don't go around painting boulders to get people fired before they are officially hired.

The result here is that there is no pressure to inform the fandom on an hourly basis. There are no alumni factions whose counsel needs to be pacified. BC can operate in a business-like fashion that respects the candidates and the school. This all is maddening to media types who want to show their insider status. At the top of the search, those poor souls charged with covering BC sat down and looked for BC and Jarmond connections. They quickly scuttled together a list of Don Brown, Mike Reed, Al Washington and Jeff Hafley. Every moment that list is not denied is a confirmation in their mind.

Most schools float names to see what the fan reaction is. BC won't do that mainly because Marty doesn't give a shit what you think. He isn't looking to hire a coach so he can sell a handful of season tickets or parking passes. Marty is looking to hire a coach that will be an asset on his resume when Michigan State is looking for an AD (or when Gene Smith retires). He likely wants to hire an impressive name or be the guy who identified a rising star. That said, I'd guess he won't want to relive the sins of the past and drop a bomb minutes before the presser. So, I would expect the name would leak as it enters the final stage so the raw emotion would subside.

I believe that Marty had a carefully cultivated list of 3 or so targets heading into this process. I suspect that he opened up that list based on recommendations and surprising inbound interest. He has likely already whittled down the list significantly. I would guess that we may hear a name or two of real finalists as early as Sunday night. I could see Marty's top choice being known by Wednesday night.

BTW... folks should note how incredibly difficult it is to get a Power 5 job. Two of the best coordinators in the game (Venables and Aranda) have not had their names attached to any of these openings. Just something to think about when you hear things about coaches not interested in the job.
Last edited by HJS on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:05 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I’m already in the hole 10k Adsense dollars so I’ll pass. Starting to think a Chris Huang has an inside source at BC.

Tuesday would allow for plenty of time for a coach involved with a game tomorrow time to formally interview, negotiate a contract, meet with Father Leahy for a final blessing so this rumor seems believable.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:13 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:First interview with Hafley was yesterday and 2nd is most likely Sunday or Monday. OSU people have reported he absolutely wants the job and if offered he’ll take it. Seems like Elko is the other top candidate with a couple after them but Hafley seems to be plan A.

I would so much rather have Hafley than Elko

this, zero interest in Elko

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 pm

I get nervous about hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach in his life — at any level. But if he can recruit at an elite level I don’t care what his resume says. The only way we compete for an ACC championship or playoff is by upgrading our talent.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Los {l Wrote}:I get nervous about hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach in his life — at any level. But if he can recruit at an elite level I don’t care what his resume says. The only way we compete for an ACC championship or playoff is by upgrading our talent.

what you didn't like palmer, el attrach and sparaccio trying to chase around WRs all year?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Bajakian to Northwestern per 247
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 pm

OC Bajakian has left for Northwestern.

Do not like.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I'm surprised TRE has yet to post about this guy's haircut.

Come on. Tre is much more likely to mock Hafley's height and status as a little person.

This would be a great hire. Lots of guys have good reps as recruiters but what was impressive at Pitt and RU was his ability to identify guys who turned out great. His bust rate wasn't high.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Here is the Herald article...
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/12/06 ... tball-job/

Good for Bajakian. He did a good job in his one season here. Unless we were hiring Butch Jones or promoting from the current staff, there was no chance that a new coach would’ve retained Bajakian. The new coach will want everyone on his first staff to be folks he is familiar with and trusts.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Here is the Herald article...
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/12/06 ... tball-job/

Good for Bajakian. He did a good job in his one season here. Unless we were hiring Butch Jones or promoting from the current staff, there was no chance that a new coach would’ve retained Bajakian. The new coach will want everyone on his first staff to be folks he is familiar with and trusts.

Hafley and Bajakian have history but I understand taking a job when offered.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Starting to think a Chris Huang has an inside source at BC

He has a hole in fifth floor O’Neill where the tips come through.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:14 am

I have a bunch of goods stories about Hafley that I’ll post if he gets th job. But, a strike against him is that I just remembered when he was the DB coach in Tampa, his DC was... Bill Sheridan. However, when he was with Chip Kelly and the 49ers, he was on the same staff as Bob Bicknell and Jerry Azzinaro.

Also, I heard that a certain agent represents some coaches who badly want the BC job and he talks to the press to get stories out there. Monken, Elko and Graham were the guy’s clients who were pushing for it. May explain the recent Monken articles and the latest rumblings of Elko. Personally,I don’t think any of those guys would be hired. But, I wouldn’t be upset if they were. All are improvements over Daz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:39 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 am

FSU has been quiet as well, have to assume it's norvell or other stoops no?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:56 am

Los {l Wrote}:I get nervous about hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach in his life — at any level. But if he can recruit at an elite level I don’t care what his resume says. The only way we compete for an ACC championship or playoff is by upgrading our talent.

+5

ABC Always Be Closing
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:FSU has been quiet as well, have to assume it's norvell or other stoops no?

God knows what the hell they are doing? They can hire anyone. Why they limit shit to Tallahassee ties is beyond me... but bodes well for our next coach in that the path will be easier.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:FSU has been quiet as well, have to assume it's norvell or other stoops no?

God knows what the hell they are doing? They can hire anyone. Why they limit shit to Tallahassee ties is beyond me... but bodes well for our next coach in that the path will be easier.

That job is as unattractive as its been in decades.

The institutional & financial questions are legit. You add to it you gave your first minority coach less than 2 years with a record that isn't all that terrible given the personnel restrictions on him.

Then you have the mongo fsu fans that think a new coach should be challenging clemson instantly
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:42 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That job is as unattractive as its been in decades.

The institutional & financial questions are legit. You add to it you gave your first minority coach less than 2 years with a record that isn't all that terrible given the personnel restrictions on him.

Then you have the mongo fsu fans that think a new coach should be challenging clemson instantly

I get all of that, but it's still the second best job in the ACC and even Spaziani could recruit top talent to FSU. A turnaround should not be hard in a very weak ACC even with their subpar situation by FSU standards. Despite all of their issues, they still went 4-4 in the ACC so it's also a retool not a rebuild. If UNC can take Clemson to the last minute, then FSU should be able to stay on the same field with them with good coaching.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:30 pm

If I’m FSU, I either hire a huge name to be a figurehead for your program (Bob Stoops or Butch Davis) or you grab a great coach like Matt Rhule and let him build your program. I didn’t think they gave Taggart a shot to do the latter, so the crazies down there should try the former. Hire a big name give him $6mm to hire a great staff and call it a day.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 pm

I expect that we will know soon after tOSU game whether or not there is truth to the Hafley rumors.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:51 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I expect that we will know soon after tOSU game whether or not there is truth to the Hafley rumors.

A first time head coach needs to have a staff that (a) he trusts and (b) has some experience. Often, a first time head coach would like to have a close assistant who has already been a head coach. Further, for an offensive-minded head coach, the most important hire is the DC. For a defensive-minded head coach, the most important hire is the OC. Outside of that, the rest of the staff should be recruiters.

If Hafley is the choice, it will be interesting to see how his staff fills out. He’s been a lot of places and has made a ton of connections throughout the industry.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium