2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:41 am

I know Rutgers is a disaster (even more than us) but how stupid can they possibly be looking to hire this fucking buffoon?

Even I’m shocked at how dumb this is. Is this just his agent floating a fake story?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I know Rutgers is a disaster (even more than us) but how stupid can they possibly be looking to hire this fucking buffoon?

Even I’m shocked at how dumb this is. Is this just his agent floating a fake story?

6 wins Steve is far better than what is happening there now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:06 am

exactly.

we're all sick of our program being mediocre and getting blasted by any good team we play but what happened last night happens every week for rutgers (here are there b1g scores this year: 30-0, 52-0, 48-7, 35-0, 42-7 with ohio state & ped state still to come) and has for years

there are multiple reports that many of the top candidates this cycle won't even look at the job. in daz you have some that is from the NE, has gotten a p5 program from disaster to mediocre and that's pretty appealing.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:51 am

In typical fake media fashion... Benbow’s source is just weeks-old throwing shit up against the wall “reporting” by a sister newspaper. Unless, Benbow is suggesting that the Star Ledger is now on the search committee for Rutgers.
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019 ... -them.html
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019 ... aying.html
http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2019/10/ru ... r.html?m=1

Rutgers is hiring Schiano and will do so before the last game of the year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 pm

"I’m worried about my team, BC, the Eagles,” said Addazio before his Eagles got thumped, 59-7, by Clemson on Saturday night. “I love these guys. We’re just grinding. I’m impervious to all that stuff. I put myself in a vacuum right now. We have such a talented team, a young team — especially on defense — there’s so much work that has to be done here.”

Given all the time I've spent wishing someone wound launch this moron into space, it's pretty fuckin rude of him to toy with my emotions like this.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:30 am

Sarge finds himself at #6 on coaches hot seat. Above Pruitt, Taggart and some other notables.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am

I'm pissed that, after suffering through a dozen years of Daz and Spaz, we are sitting here with no obvious replacement candidate.

Hafley has been lauded at every stop he's made in his career. He is a great recruiter and really ticks many of the boxes. But, it is a boring as all hell hire. Hot coaches like Aranda or Venables you could sell tickets on. Even previous failures like Schiano or Golden would at least create a buzz. But, after suffering what we've been through, to be deciding among Elko, Hafley, Campanile and Drayton is somewhat disappointing.

All that said, it may be for the best. If there was a perfect Bill O'Brien-like option available, I am confident that Leahy would never let it happen. And, it would just be one of those insanely frustrating exercises like the ones that resulted in hiring Daz and Jim Christian.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:52 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Sarge finds himself at #6 on coaches hot seat. Above Pruitt, Taggart and some other notables.

taggart has a $17 MM buyout + the whole optics of firing the school's first black head coach after only 2 years + he has a better record than other coaches in their second year (chip, frost, etc) who aren't going to get fired.

they also have moorehead as #1 who is clearly a fish out of water in starkville
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 am

I’d like Hafley, but it would be hard to make headlines with that hire. Then again, Jags and Logan weren’t huge names.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:22 am

Feel like Jeff Tedford is the type of guy the admin would love and possibly we could get a QB out of it. (Not at the top of my list though)
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Arizona fired their DC yesterday, they are ranked 119th in pts allowed. We are ranked 126th, ahead of only La Monroe, ark st., new mexico, and umass. uconn is 99th.

rushing defense 93rd and passing d is 114th.

sheridan still has a job.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Feel like Jeff Tedford is the type of guy the admin would love and possibly we could get a QB out of it. (Not at the top of my list though)

He might be boring, but he has a history of good QBs, he wins, and he did so at a so-called "academic" school that had no more of a football tradition than BC since 1950. That said, he graduated less than 50% of his players his last few seasons there. That would be a red flag with Leahy.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:56 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Arizona fired their DC yesterday, they are ranked 119th in pts allowed. We are ranked 126th, ahead of only La Monroe, ark st., new mexico, and umass. uconn is 99th.

Defense has been so bad I would let Sheridan go and give Reid a crack at improving it.
iwnh
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:26 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Arizona fired their DC yesterday, they are ranked 119th in pts allowed. We are ranked 126th, ahead of only La Monroe, ark st., new mexico, and umass. uconn is 99th.

From an offensive talent standpoint, the ACC is a little bit better than the Sun Belt, don't you think? That said, I agree with you. Addazio should pull the trigger on Sheridan for the same reason why the trigger was pulled in Tucson yesterday. And (of course) Sheridan would claim (correctly) that there is no one who could do a better job than he has done, certainly not with the players this staff has recruited for the defense. The players (particularly the ones on defense) should be playing in the Sun Belt, and not the ACC.

Did any of you see Graduate student Tanner Karafa get absolutely obliterated on the defensive line on Saturday? I focused all my attention on that game just watching him (and to a lesser extent, the other defensive linemen.) Clemson's o-linemen were just throwing Tanner around like he wasn't even there. He had no penetration into the backfield and no stops at the point of attack. I'm not asking for BC's defensive linemen to chase down and tackle Clemson tailbacks who break through the line. They are not fast enough to do that. But they DO need to be able to what they were ALL told to do in high school, clog up the middle, grab ankles, make piles, make confusion, keep the offensive linemen OFF the linebackers, and stay in their lanes. That hasn't happened for BC in years. The last time BC has had TWO defensive tackles that could do what I described, they played in the ACC championship (with a marginal defensive backfield, I might add.)

Firing Sheridan will not change any of this. I'm sure he is telling the defensive linemen what they need to do. They just can't do it against ACC offensive linemen. Its not going to happen. But they look just fine against Richmond.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:43 pm

The correct answer is Candle or Hafley and if you don't at least give Moorhead a call you're a fool.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:... if you don't at least give Moorhead a call you're a fool.

They are calling for Moorhead's firing in Starkville with a fervor similar to that which Gator fans wanted Daz gone. I'm not sure he is the answer.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:... if you don't at least give Moorhead a call you're a fool.

They are calling for Moorhead's firing in Starkville with a fervor similar to that which Gator fans wanted Daz gone. I'm not sure he is the answer.

It would be smart for most schools to call him and find out why things didn’t go right there. Let him explain. The problem is you can’t trust the people in charge here to judge this reasonably. I’m not convinced that Jarmond would make the right call about whether Moorhead doesn’t cut it, or whether Starkville is just the wrong place.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

We all questioned why Moorhead went to Mississippi State in the first place. I am willing to blame it on fit. This was his first trip south of the Mason-Dixon (I don't count Georgetown as south) and he was coming in behind Dan Mullen which was setting him up for failure in the first place.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Do yourself a big favor and watch an addazio press conference.

The ketchup king is extraordinarily transparent. He cannot fire his DC. The narrative is that this is a rebuild year for the defense. Tons of talent but very young.

Basically he is saying the defense sucks from lack of experience, lots of upside not poor coaching.

I think the defense sucks because it is totally void of talent and it has nothing to do with Sheridan. Sheridan might be terrible but he was also dealt a bad hand. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:07 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

The ketchup king is extraordinarily transparent. He cannot fire his DC. The narrative is that this is a rebuild year for the defense. Tons of talent but very young.

Basically he is saying the defense sucks from lack of experience, lots of upside not poor coaching.

I think the defense sucks because it is totally void of talent and it has nothing to do with Sheridan. Sheridan might be terrible but he was also dealt a bad hand. :ace

Agree, agree, agree. This defense is not a youth deficiency. It is a talent deficiency. The chaos that is so often apparent on defense is most often not that they don't know what to do, it is they are incapable of doing it.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

I would argue that the coach staff is entirely to blame:

1) I think there is talent that came in this year and maybe the year before but the people we are running out there do not have it and consistently have show they do not have it. SENIORITY!
2) No reason to put a LB consistently on a fast, athletic WR. Kept doing it Saturday and the results are about what you would expect. Probably other examples too but that is the one mistake that should be obvious to everyone regardless of their coaching experience.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 pm

#6 in the country

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/

hotseat {l Wrote}:6. Steve Addazio, Boston College – With the Boston College loss to Clemson on Saturday Steve Addazio’s records at BC now stand at…

Overall: 42 – 42

ACC: 20 – 33

….and maybe that’s OK for the folks in Boston but to us at a place like Boston College the above records are…

Sub-Damn-Average!

Now there are reports out that Rutgers is interested in hiring Steve Addazio and let’s think about that for a second….

Rutgers wants to hire a guy in Steve Addazio who is Sub-Damn-Average in our opinion at Boston College and they really believe he would be able to do anything at all in the Big Ten East Division at Rutgers?

Got Damn Idiocy BIGGER than the Damn Idiocy of hiring Chad Morris at Arkansas?

Yep…in our humble opinion!

Oh…the 4 – 4 Eagles have left on their schedule in 2019 games with….

At Syracuse
Florida State
At Notre Dame
At Pitt

Oh…that would be just GREAT for Rutgers to hire a guy with a losing season in the same year he was hired at the school he was coming from!

What a time to be alive!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:37 pm

As discussed ad nauseam, one of Addazio's biggest flaws is QB recruiting. Those who follow NFL rosters closer than I may already know this, but as I watched the Packers-Chiefs last night I saw somebody with the name, Boyle on the Packers sideline. Sure enough, it was Tim Boyle who had committed to BC under Spaz, but after the coaching change Addazio presumably told him to look elsewhere because he wasn't a good fit. While it didn't exactly work out for him at UConn, he did well at EKU and is now backing up Aaron Rodgers. He beat out second rounder DeShone Kizer for the second string spot. Addazio has not only failed at recruiting good QBs, he couldn't even correctly choose to keep a future NFL QB that was already committed.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:10 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

1) I think there is talent that came in this year and maybe the year before but the people we are running out there do not have it and consistently have show they do not have it. SENIORITY!
2) No reason to put a LB consistently on a fast, athletic WR. Kept doing it Saturday and the results are about what you would expect. Probably other examples too but that is the one mistake that should be obvious to everyone regardless of their coaching experience.

I would argue based on the new red-shirt rules he is not hiding anyone. There is not some monster talent he has nailed to the bench to play an upperclassman.

His job is literally on the line and if you have been following how addazio coaches he has no problem throwing someone with seniority under the bus and switching to a freshman. What he talks about in his press conferences is that he has indeed switched to all young players on defense. He says it over and over again each week.

In my view BC has missed on its top defensive recruiting targets for the last few years and it has finally caught up to them. Last year the wheels started falling off the bus and this year the bus fully broke down.

I predicted before the season an historically bad defense and that is where we are at.

As for the LB covering the WR, perhaps the coaches think that is the best athlete to have on the field since our dbs are not very good.

Rolling the dice with an athletic LB over a bad backup safety/cb. It might just be that simple.

Hopefully we get to 6 wins and you get your extra practices that have proven to be so helpful over the years. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I would argue based on the new red-shirt rules he is not hiding anyone. There is not some monster talent he has nailed to the bench to play an upperclassman.

His job is literally on the line and if you have been following how addazio coaches he has no problem throwing someone with seniority under the bus and switching to a freshman. What he talks about in his press conferences is that he has indeed switched to all young players on defense. He says it over and over again each week.

In my view BC has missed on its top defensive recruiting targets for the last few years and it has finally caught up to them. Last year the wheels started falling off the bus and this year the bus fully broke down.

I predicted before the season an historically bad defense and that is where we are at.

As for the LB covering the WR, perhaps the coaches think that is the best athlete to have on the field since our dbs are not very good.

Rolling the dice with an athletic LB over a bad backup safety/cb. It might just be that simple.

Hopefully we get to 6 wins and you get your extra practices that have proven to be so helpful over the years. :ace

best case scenario would be 6 wins, Daz is hired by Rutgers and/or some bottom feeder, Leahy retires, someone like Father Monan is hired to be president, Jarmond is given free reign, and we hire a competent coach.

of those, even with our shit defense, I will argue that 6 wins is the most likely.

I just keeping hoping that we keep making bowl games until Leahy throws in the towel. it has to be soon... he's in his 70s now. I just don't think there's any sense of blowing up the program to hire another lousy mac-level, eyetal coach. I really think until change comes to the very top bc football will be mired in mediocrity.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

best case scenario would be 6 wins, Daz is hired by Rutgers and/or some bottom feeder, Leahy retires, someone like Father Monan is hired to be president, Jarmond is given free reign, and we hire a competent coach.

of those, even with our shit defense, I will argue that 6 wins is the most likely.

I just keeping hoping that we keep making bowl games until Leahy throws in the towel. it has to be soon... he's in his 70s now. I just don't think there's any sense of blowing up the program to hire another lousy mac-level, eyetal coach. I really think until change comes to the very top bc football will be mired in mediocrity.

I am not afraid to choose the unknown. Leahy is not going anywhere and Jarmond desperately wants to be AD at a big state school so perhaps he uncovers a gem because his career would be made on such a hire.

To be historical about this the wrong BC football coach hire has broken the last three ADs so will history repeat itself? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:07 pm

I agree that it is unlikely that Leahy is willing to pay 4 million plus for a proven coach. I can’t wait for Leahy to retire that is why to me it makes the most sense to hire Don Brown. He will rebuild the defense and run a much better offense than this buffoon. He will take the job for 2.5 million and give us 8 years of great coaching. The job will be very attractive when he retires. It’s not an attractive job at this time due to all of the reasons we hate Leahy.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I am not afraid to choose the unknown. Leahy is not going anywhere and Jarmond desperately wants to be AD at a big state school so perhaps he uncovers a gem because his career would be made on such a hire.

To be historical about this the wrong BC football coach hire has broken the last three ADs so will history repeat itself? :ace

Jarmond's career will hinge on the hires he makes for the football and basketball teams. Gene and Bates were at the end of their careers (Bates whether he knew it or not). Big state schools will not be impressed with beer sales and longer tailgating, they want to see how you manage a department. His hires for non-revenue sports have been encouraging. If he lands coaches that turn around hoops and football he will have his choice of AD jobs. He knows this as much as we do.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am

being a yogi and the official tailgate greeter for football games will help his resume.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:I am not afraid to choose the unknown. Leahy is not going anywhere and Jarmond desperately wants to be AD at a big state school so perhaps he uncovers a gem because his career would be made on such a hire.

Ball-washing multiple-family alums who father despair-driven chefs is a very different skill from identifying, hiring, and enabling excellent football coaches. In fairness its hard for one guy to do both well; now, guys who can loofa rich alums' stretchmarks are a dime a dozen but hiring a football coach is a hard thing to get right, and I'm not surprised it breaks the ballwashing types. It will definitely make or break Jarmond. So hopefully he takes HJS' advice from a few years ago and hires Bob Diaco.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium