2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: PCJR's resume is stellar, but so was Dan Henning's.

Henning had two failed NFL head coaching gigs on his resume with a record of 38-73-1. Not quite the same as PCJR who hasn't gotten his shot yet.

PCJR may be great or terrible, I don't know. But on paper, he looks better than Henning.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Being a failed coach in the NFL means nothing as it relates to college.

15-17
12-20
3-10
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm guessing yesterday's win sealed the deal on The Dazzler's return. I'm thinking he'll grab 2 more wins and we will play in the inaugural gay-ass Fenway Bowl. Someone will tout our current Bowl streak and the mediocrity will continue
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Matt Nagy and Dan Quinn should be available soon. Two terrible coaches.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 pm

imagine trading up to draft trubisky passing on mahomes & deshaun
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Matt Nagy and Dan Quinn should be available soon. Two terrible coaches.

hard no

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Matt Nagy and Dan Quinn should be available soon. Two terrible coaches.

hard no

:whalepants

Hey Nagy is a genius
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Doug Pederson's getting stupid fast.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:37 am

It’s like a rookie qb with a few nice games, a big part of it is how you adjust once the rest of the league picks up on your success.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:40 am

I’ve said this a million times, but failure as an NFL head coach really means nothing as it relates to success in the college game. I believe that the best coaches for Xs & Os are coaches in the NFL. I also think they are among the hardest workers in the coaching ranks.

However, so much more goes into the college game (from recruiting to development to teaching to babysitting). When your looking at NFL candidates, I believe it is important that you have someone who has coached in college so they know these additional responsibilities. We’ve seen guys like Gregg Williams and Dan Henning completely unprepared for their responsibilities. Accordingly, NFL guys like Brian Daboll, Greg Roman, Brett Beilema and Al Golden should get looks at top open college jobs.

All that said, just as I pointed to Herm Edwards years ago as a guy who would do very well in college (even though he had no college experience), I’m calling Anthony Lynn as the same. He’s not the answer at San Diego. But, damn, he’d make a great college head coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am

I’d love to give Greg Roman a shot, but I’m not sure Jarmond would look at the NFL
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I’ve said this a million times, but failure as an NFL head coach really means nothing as it relates to success in the college game. I believe that the best coaches for Xs & Os are coaches in the NFL. I also think they are among the hardest workers in the coaching ranks.

However, so much more goes into the college game (from recruiting to development to teaching to babysitting). When your looking at NFL candidates, I believe it is important that you have someone who has coached in college so they know these additional responsibilities. We’ve seen guys like Gregg Williams and Dan Henning completely unprepared for their responsibilities. Accordingly, NFL guys like Brian Daboll, Greg Roman, Brett Beilema and Al Golden should get looks at top open college jobs.

All that said, just as I pointed to Herm Edwards years ago as a guy who would do very well in college (even though he had no college experience), I’m calling Anthony Lynn as the same. He’s not the answer at San Diego. But, damn, he’d make a great college head coach.

Guy who fits this criteria best is Rob Chudzinski.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 am

Bernard Lonergan {l Wrote}:Guy who fits this criteria best is Rob Chudzinski.

Has Chud coached at any level in the past 2 years? He was a rockstar at the U 15 years ago. But, his career has kinda gone sideways.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Jury is still out on Herm. He was 7-6 last year and is off to a decent start this year, but let's see how he finishes.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Has Chud coached at any level in the past 2 years? He was a rockstar at the U 15 years ago. But, his career has kinda gone sideways.

Not since Indy, but I believe he has had several OC offers in NFL and NCAA (Oregon offered him the OC position last summer I think). He's been around BC, advising the offense a little bit.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Bernard Lonergan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Not since Indy, but I believe he has had several OC offers in NFL and NCAA (Oregon offered him the OC position last summer I think). He's been around BC, advising the offense a little bit.

I had no idea. Good to know.

Looks like we had the same conversation about Chud in 2011: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&p=238584&hilit=chudzinksi#p238584
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Listening to Daz's Monday 10/14/19 interview at Donohue's in Watertown is very revealing. He had these dynamite sound bites:

"2015, we're on the way to another 8 or 9 win season, and bam! Darius Wade gets injured!" My favorite part of what he said was "ANOTHER". Proof that he has his own facts.

Asked to explain what you want in a good football team, "Good Defense, run the ball, special teams". I'm paraphrasing a bit, but in his whole explanation, he did NOT mention the QB or the passing game ONCE. I'm not sure there is a more disrespected position on a football team than the QB of a Steve Addazio team, lol. Maybe the Fullback on a Mike Leach team?

On the subject of what we need in our next coach, I actually have just 3 requirements:

1) He must have demonstrated the willingness to throw the ball heavily and successfully. It will take years to re-establish a QB friendly system at BC. I actually don't want someone that LOVES one style of play. I want someone that is able to do everything, and will do WHAT WORKS AT THAT TIME. Saban and Belicheck do what works.

2) Head Coaching experience. The risk is higher with a guy that hasn't been a Head Coach. There's a ton of administrative stuff, managing people, dealing with media, delegating, etc....that guys need to learn. After Spaz and Daz, we can't afford a guy that has a low floor. Even if they have had stops that did not go so well, that is not in itself an elimination. People learn from bad tenures. They can improve at future stops. It's human nature. I obviously prefer the guys that have NOT had a bad stop, but if the overall winning % is over 60%, I think it's clear the guy knows how to WIN.

3) Must be Cerebral. I believe one of the reasons that BC Alumni have had a hard time with Daz from the beginning is that we don't want a HC that is low on the intellect scale. It may be that we are all a bit elitist, lol. But I believe we'll all feel more supportive if we consistently believe we have the smarter coach than the opposition. Daz would always have been a better fit with some other programs where the alumni would place higher value on having the tougher coach. Of course, toughness and high intellect are not mutually exclusive.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:21 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:Listening to Daz's Monday 10/14/19 interview at Donohue's in Watertown is very revealing. He had these dynamite sound bites:

"2015, we're on the way to another 8 or 9 win season, and bam! Darius Wade gets injured!" My favorite part of what he said was "ANOTHER". Proof that he has his own facts.

Asked to explain what you want in a good football team, "Good Defense, run the ball, special teams". I'm paraphrasing a bit, but in his whole explanation, he did NOT mention the QB or the passing game ONCE. I'm not sure there is a more disrespected position on a football team than the QB of a Steve Addazio team, lol. Maybe the Fullback on a Mike Leach team?

On the subject of what we need in our next coach, I actually have just 3 requirements:

1) He must have demonstrated the willingness to throw the ball heavily and successfully. It will take years to re-establish a QB friendly system at BC. I actually don't want someone that LOVES one style of play. I want someone that is able to do everything, and will do WHAT WORKS AT THAT TIME. Saban and Belicheck do what works.

2) Head Coaching experience. The risk is higher with a guy that hasn't been a Head Coach. There's a ton of administrative stuff, managing people, dealing with media, delegating, etc....that guys need to learn. After Spaz and Daz, we can't afford a guy that has a low floor. Even if they have had stops that did not go so well, that is not in itself an elimination. People learn from bad tenures. They can improve at future stops. It's human nature. I obviously prefer the guys that have NOT had a bad stop, but if the overall winning % is over 60%, I think it's clear the guy knows how to WIN.

3) Must be Cerebral. I believe one of the reasons that BC Alumni have had a hard time with Daz from the beginning is that we don't want a HC that is low on the intellect scale. It may be that we are all a bit elitist, lol. But I believe we'll all feel more supportive if we consistently believe we have the smarter coach than the opposition. Daz would always have been a better fit with some other programs where the alumni would place higher value on having the tougher coach. Of course, toughness and high intellect are not mutually exclusive.

I'm super glad you're not hiring the next head coach!
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:50 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I'm guessing yesterday's win sealed the deal on The Dazzler's return. I'm thinking he'll grab 2 more wins and we will play in the inaugural gay-ass Fenway Bowl. Someone will tout our current Bowl streak and the mediocrity will continue

OK, I guess the Fenway Bowl isn't happening this season, but looks like we are going bowling!!! Yay (and Daz is still our Head Coach)

ESPN College football bowl projections

Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Independence Stadium, Shreveport, Louisiana
Dec. 26, 4 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Louisiana Tech vs. Florida State
Schlabach: Boston College vs. Southern Miss
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Truly believe that anything other than losing out and Daz is back.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:All that said, just as I pointed to Herm Edwards years ago as a guy who would do very well in college (even though he had no college experience), I’m calling Anthony Lynn as the same. He’s not the answer at San Diego. But, damn, he’d make a great college head coach.

As the biggest Herm promoter on this board, I will back your Lynn play here. That's a great hire once he is fired.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 am

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 am

iwnh

CLEMSON, S.C. — As Rutgers athletic administration does its due diligence in its search for a new head coach, the team has been secretly polling powerful high school coaches across New Jersey to get a feel for who might be the most fit candidate.

Boston College coach Steve Addazio was one among the host of names that came up as viable options.

Addazio was endorsed by Mater Dei Prep coach Dino Mangiero as “the kind of guy I think we need.”

With the Eagles in the thick of the season, preparing for their matchup Saturday night against Clemson, Addazio was flattered but focused on his own players.

“I’m worried about my team, BC, the Eagles,” said Addazio before his Eagles got thumped, 59-7, by Clemson on Saturday night. “I love these guys. We’re just grinding. I’m impervious to all that stuff. I put myself in a vacuum right now. We have such a talented team, a young team — especially on defense — there’s so much work that has to be done here.”

Rutgers last month fired Chris Ash, who amassed an 8-32 record in his three-plus seasons as head coach.

The Scarlet Knights were 1-3 at the time of his dismissal and the combined score of those losses was 112-16. One of those losses came at the hands of Addazio’s Eagles, 30-16.

The program is in a state of flux having lost six straight games before Saturday’s 44-34 win over Liberty. Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile is currently serving as interim coach.

New Jersey has been a recruiting hotbed for the Eagles under Addazio. The state accounts for 17 players on the Eagles’ roster this season.

Addazio is 42-42 in seven seasons at BC. He guided the Eagles to five bowl games in his first six seasons, though it didn’t come without some turbulence. In 2015, the Eagles went 3-9 and failed to win a game in the ACC.

Addazio has found himself on several “hot seat” lists over the years, but last December he got a two-year contract extension from athletic director Martin Jarmond.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:06 am

On the one hand, no more Daz is a good thing.
On the other hand, the thought of BC being a stepping-stone hire to Rutgers is disgusting.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:11 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Truly believe that anything other than losing out and Daz is back.

I thought 5 wins and he might be safe, but how does the admin defend a loss to Cuse?

4 wins with this schedule is embarrassing.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am

this wouldn't be a stepping stone at all, just like toby to ncst wasn't. this is just an opportunity for daz to get a new 5 year deal
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:26 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:this wouldn't be a stepping stone at all, just like toby to ncst wasn't. this is just an opportunity for daz to get a new 5 year deal

If I were Daz I'd very seriously consider this. Head coach at Rutgers makes a lot more than O line coach at South Carolina
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:this wouldn't be a stepping stone at all, just like toby to ncst wasn't. this is just an opportunity for daz to get a new 5 year deal

If I were Daz I'd very seriously consider this. Head coach at Rutgers makes a lot more than O line coach at South Carolina

Agreed. Five more years of HC pay is better than even one more year at BC where he might get fired. He can sell his Cape house and get one on the Shore.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium