2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Coughlin’s Offense was unpredictable. He could run or pass on 3rd and long and get the first down. His offense had multiple formations and always had a player in motion to disrupt the defense. His offense was nothing like this stiff we’re stuck with.

This isn’t remotely true.

You have no clue about football. That is the worst post of the year, congratulations!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Anyone outside of Meyer and a few others who think they're really close to bigger jobs would take this job. There are only so many P5 jobs available. There might be a few people who won't want to go someplace with such a challenging recruiting area but BC won't be looking at them anyway. If you coached your entire career within a gas tank of Last Chance U. BC is probably not a good fit for a lot of reasons. Although Blog Boy says non-Catholics aren't considered (which seems insane to me) and his sources are usually good.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:24 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Anyone outside of Meyer and a few others who think they're really close to bigger jobs would take this job. There are only so many P5 jobs available. There might be a few people who won't want to go someplace with such a challenging recruiting area but BC won't be looking at them anyway.

It's this. The majority of candidates listed would take the BC job if offered.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Coughlin’s Offense was unpredictable. He could run or pass on 3rd and long and get the first down. His offense had multiple formations and always had a player in motion to disrupt the defense. His offense was nothing like this stiff we’re stuck with.

This isn’t remotely true.

You have no clue about football. That is the worst post of the year, congratulations!

Says the person who just posted about Don Brown being the best person we could hire for head coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:OT but Ash out at Rutgers, rumor has it Schiano going back. Would be interesting to see if Campanile goes back to run D / recruit (his brother is interim HC)

Do you not realize that Campy is on Michigan’s staff? Or, are you somehow suggesting that he is going to be able to leave Michigan midseason to help out his brother who is the interim head coach?

I also heard at the RU game that, while the fans desperately want Schiano back, there is many in the administration who want someone with an offensive focus. Their overall first choice would be Moorehead.

I wasn't clear, I meant next season as Schiano is filling his staff

I don’t think mid-season firings make sense unless (a) you think an assistant could be the head guy or (b) you want to go out and be the first to grab a hot name or free agent.

The timing of this move is curious. Ash hasn’t had the slightest sniff of a scandal. He’s owed $8.5mm. With Schiano just sitting at home doing absolutely nothing, I wonder if he’ll be coming in mid-season to start evaluating the players and staff and get a jump recruiting.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:25 pm

bc is not firing daz mid season barring scandal

regarding rutgres, it's an interesting idea, especially with the early signing period.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:38 pm

feldman put out his list for rutgres which not surprisingly looks a lot like ours, but also said he approached names you'd expect to be interested and they said they wouldn't touch the job

https://theathletic.com/1251753/2019/09 ... andidates/

schiano if he wants it
retreads (butch jones, which :laugh )
mac specials (candle, leipold)
p5 coordinators (hafley, elko)
odd suggestions who may be interested: moorhead
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:45 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:bc is not firing daz mid season barring scandal

regarding rutgres, it's an interesting idea, especially with the early signing period.

I don’t see us hiring the type of coach many people here are asking for as long as Leahy is in charge. You all are serious masochists posting in this thread.

So, in the meantime everyone, you have realistic two choices: 1) be a prick miserable prick and post complaints about shit that won’t change as long as Leahy is pulling the strings or 2) embrace seven win steve and what we get. I’ve chosen to do the latter knowing full well that the next coach isn’t going to be cut from a different cloth even if Daz goes. Just hoping we can make small incremental gains in the meantime so I can have more winning Saturdays than losing ones. For example, An 8 win season this year would be nice although it’s going to be tough to pull off now even with the defense getting better each week as long as AB struggles.

P.s. and to all you who root against BC to get a new coach... I hope you get fucked in the ass raw with an aid infected dick.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:53 pm

I don’t see us hiring the type of coach many people here are asking for as long as Leahy is in charge.

There are improvements to Daz who are still within Leahy's range. Candle, Fickell, Flores, and anyone of that ilk would have no trouble getting by Leahy. And the people who Leahy would object to, heavily overlap with the same small group that wouldn't take the job.

You all are serious masochists posting in this thread.

It shouldn't have taken you this long to figure that out.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:feldman put out his list for rutgres which not surprisingly looks a lot like ours, but also said he approached names you'd expect to be interested and they said they wouldn't touch the job

schiano if he wants it

I think they’ll stay clear of anyone who hasn’t had success as a head coach. Schiano aside, I think Butch Jones makes a ton of sense for them. He’s been successful. His first ever coaching job was at Rutgers. His abrasiveness plays well in Jersey. The crazies in Tennessee ran him out of town because he wasn’t a Southern Boy... and then did the same to Schiano. So, his one bad season gets an asterisk. They sure as shit could do a lot worse.

As for Moorehead, most everyone feels that he is not a good it in Miss. I don’t see him there 4 years from now (be it his choice or not). That said, RU is bleeding money. The firing of Ash and McNulty means they likely won’t have the cash to come anywhere near whatever Moorehead is making at MSU. If Butch and Greg balk at the $2.5-$3mm per that RU will likely offer, I think Piscataway will be stuck fishing the MAC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wake is a more difficult job than here

Clawson was an ass clown. Live. In person. No thanks
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:feldman put out his list for rutgres which not surprisingly looks a lot like ours, but also said he approached names you'd expect to be interested and they said they wouldn't touch the job

schiano if he wants it

I think they’ll stay clear of anyone who hasn’t had success as a head coach. Schiano aside, I think Butch Jones makes a ton of sense for them. He’s been successful. His first ever coaching job was at Rutgers. His abrasiveness plays well in Jersey. The crazies in Tennessee ran him out of town because he wasn’t a Southern Boy... and then did the same to Schiano. So, his one bad season gets an asterisk. They sure as shit could do a lot worse.

As for Moorehead, most everyone feels that he is not a good it in Miss. I don’t see him there 4 years from now (be it his choice or not). That said, RU is bleeding money. The firing of Ash and McNulty means they likely won’t have the cash to come anywhere near whatever Moorehead is making at MSU. If Butch and Greg balk at the $2.5-$3mm per that RU will likely offer, I think Piscataway will be stuck fishing the MAC.

Moorhead is making about $2.5-3mm at MSU. He will not leave an sEC job for Rutgers but I do believe, as you put it, the crazies will run him out for not being a Southern boy.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Moorehead makes $4 million a year. The SEC minimum wage for head football coaches is like $3.5mm.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 am

Let's hire Lane Kiffin. Sure he sucked at USC, but he did pretty well at Tennessee and his twitter feed is pretty epic at times. I imagine his past would probably be disqualifying, but he apparently has become a born again and is big into the whole Jesus spiel now--although he is obviously not a Catholic. I have to believe he is anxious to leave FAU, where he has done as well as could be expected.

Anyway, the fact I would now be good with hiring Kiffin is a pretty good indication I see nothing good coming down the hiring pipeline once we are rid of the Dazzler.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Anyway, the fact I would now be good with hiring Kiffin is a pretty good indication I see nothing good coming down the hiring pipeline once we are rid of the Dazzler.

I think the BC job is very attractive. However I have no confidence that the administration will be able to get out of its own way.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Anyway, the fact I would now be good with hiring Kiffin is a pretty good indication I see nothing good coming down the hiring pipeline once we are rid of the Dazzler.

I think the BC job is very attractive. However I have no confidence that the administration will be able to get out of its own way.

I don't disagree, but you know that with this administration we are going to end up getting MAC attacked on this hire.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't disagree, but you know that with this administration we are going to end up getting MAC attacked on this hire.

I don't think the MAC is in our future. I think that Leahy/BOT will push to hire someone familiar (like the Daz hire). That means former assistants (like Campanile) or names that have been floating around forever (like Schiano, Golden, JDF).

The wild card in this is Marty. He is well aware that this hire will determine the quality of his next job. Bates' focus was always about keeping the BC gig (as a result, he tried to make Leahy happy). Marty's focus is on moving to bigger program (as a result, he will be more concerned about winning the press conference). Accordingly, I doubt he will acquiesce as easily as Bates.

This is not to say that Marty will be given a ton of leeway to go out and hire/pay for anyone. Some of Leahy's preferred choices may overlap with Marty's. Too the extent that Marty does not like the familiar names, a smart political Jarmond move would be going with a minority (let's say someone like Stan Drayton). No one at the school would say a peep against the hiring of our first minority head football coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think the MAC is in our future. I think that Leahy/BOT will push to hire someone familiar (like the Daz hire). That means former assistants (like Campanile) or names that have been floating around forever (like Schiano, Golden, JDF).

The wild card in this is Marty. He is well aware that this hire will determine the quality of his next job. Bates' focus was always about keeping the BC gig (as a result, he tried to make Leahy happy). Marty's focus is on moving to bigger program (as a result, he will be more concerned about winning the press conference). Accordingly, I doubt he will acquiesce as easily as Bates.

This is not to say that Marty will be given a ton of leeway to go out and hire/pay for anyone. Some of Leahy's preferred choices may overlap with Marty's. Too the extent that Marty does not like the familiar names, a smart political Jarmond move would be going with a minority (let's say someone like Stan Drayton). No one at the school would say a peep against the hiring of our first minority head football coach.

I think that’s an angle that Marty will be able to play if he can’t get a preferred first choice through. At least that gives us an out if Leahy wants to box us into the usual suspects
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:06 pm

I understand that he is the boss, but it really is crazy that Leahy, who doesn't know a soccer ball from a football, can even weigh in on the hiring of a football coach beyond small general things and could be holding this program hostage. He's not exactly a modern-day Fr. Monan who was as much a BC diehard as us all. I can only wonder what boxes he is asking to be checked off. He should trust his people that know this stuff and sign off on it as long as there is no egregious issue with a candidate.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby flakes on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I understand that he is the boss, but it really is crazy that Leahy, who doesn't know a soccer ball from a football, can even weigh in on the hiring of a football coach beyond small general things and could be holding this program hostage. He's not exactly a modern-day Fr. Monan who was as much a BC diehard as us all. I can only wonder what boxes he is asking to be checked off. He should trust his people that know this stuff and sign off on it as long as there is no egregious issue with a candidate.

The guy devotes his life to a man-made fairy tale, of course he’s fucking delusional.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:52 pm

I have to say that the football team is boringly mediocre and the basketball team sucks, but intangibles wise, Marty has his shit together. Let him hire whomever he likes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

For the record Greg Schiano is not Catholic. I got burned on that back in the EA days where I went on the RU board and said he was one of my friends, we knew each other from mass. I was corrected by one of the RU faithful that although a wop not wop Catholic.

Finally, he will never be the head coach of Boston College even if he converted. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Some of you have set yourself up for a massive disappointment after Leahy leaves by convincing yourself he's the primary impediment to our greatness
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 pm

I too wonder where the idea that Leahy blocks people comes from other than factors that would stop someone from being BC Head Coach no matter who is President: salary, Catholic, and scandal-free. And that does eliminate a few desirable candidates and a few people are shitty in the room, but that alone shouldn't result in these half-assed "searches."
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why people think Bob Kraft let Antonio Brown go. I mean hes just the owner. The QB and coach must've made that decision, the guy in charge never makes calls like that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Is it a generally accepted thought that Flores is going to be fired by Miami this year ? Isn't it understood that they're tanking this year and he would presumably be safe ?

Just to play devils advocate with re: to Bill O'Brien (and I understand its corners saying he would never come which means nothing), despite having decent regular season success over his career in HOU, he seems to perpetually be on the "hot seat" (as an example, he had the 4th shortest odds to be first coach fired going in to this year off of an 11-5 season). I don't think its insane to think that he could come here where (in his mind) he probably thinks he could, worst case, get 7-10 years of job security if he wanted it with slightly above average results (at worst) after seeing what BC has done with the results of both TOB and Addazio.

It would be a pay cut no doubt, but with his/his family connections to the area and the assumed job security, I don't think its an insane proposition. If BC is at ~$3mm now with Addazio, you'd have to think they could make a competitive base offer with some back-end performance incentives to make it attractive. Maybe the guy wants no part of college after having to deal with the nut jobs at Ped State, idk the answer to that, but I don't think his name is completely unreasonable.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm

O'Brien's wife would appreciate returning took the Cape.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:50 am

info on moorehead / rutgres

https://footballscoop.com/news/joe-moor ... nse-sides/

he was asked about it this week

“We ask our players to focus on the task at hand, and right now I’m focused on us getting better tomorrow, us doing a great job of recruiting this weekend and doing what we need to do with the team next week to find a way to beat Tennessee.”

and since it's always about $$ w leahyhoo

Leaving after this season would cost Moorhead less than $2 million.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 am

also since i'm on the rutgres train, meatbaum makes a decent living:

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/10/rutgers ... youts.html

Senior Associate Athletic Director/Chief Communications Officer Jason Baum

Payout: $33,000

Baum, the longtime Scarlet Knights chief spokesman, agreed to step down from his $130,000-a-year post after the 2014 football season. He declined to comment on the reason for his departure.

His separation agreement included a severance package worth more than $33,000, according to university documents. Rutgers agreed to pay Baum the equivalent of about three months salary, plus an additional lump sum of $4,417 money to cover his health benefits.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:07 am

If Moorhead is actually looking, he would take BC over Rutgers in a second. I don't know if BC would be willing to buy him out at Miss St.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium