2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Another huge indication that BC is small time football. We can't even flight track properly.

I don't know... the board has already identified Dirk Koetter and Dave Brown as finalists. What other school would even remember who those coaches are?

Did you forget to use red font? Someone claiming relation to 81 said that ... Search terms: Bill the butcher and look for the '81 saves ma's' thread.

TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Another huge indication that BC is small time football. We can't even flight track properly.

I don't know... the board has already identified Dirk Koetter and Dave Brown as finalists. What other school would even remember who those coaches are?

The Dave Brock/Brown reference floored me.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am

A new coach won’t be enough to take Boston College football to the big-time
By Christopher L. Gasper Globe Staff,December 3, 2019, 5:58 p.m.

Boston College can change football coaches, but it can’t change where it sits in the hierarchy of college football. It will take a lot more than a new coach to do that. BC will always have its facemasks pressed against a gridiron glass ceiling, unless it wants to abandon its core principles.

Doing so would constitute a greater loss for the institution than any football game. That’s just the way it is.

Face it, BC football fans: Even if charismatic athletic director Martin Jarmond lures the next Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or even the next Ryan Day to The Heights, it won’t be a marriage built to last. Boston College remains a stepping-stone job, not a college football final destination. It has been since the days of the legendary Frank Leahy. Tom Coughlin isn’t walking through that door, and if he does he’ll be on his way to a better job after a few years at a bigger program or in the NFL.

As a college football devotee, there is nothing I would love more than for Chestnut Hill to feel like Columbus, Ohio, or Tuscaloosa, Ala., or Baton Rouge, La., on fall Saturdays. But it’s not going to happen. This is a pro sports town to the core. College sports represent a niche here, and college hockey seems to resonate the most. BC is destined to be a small fish in Boston’s big sporting pond. Casual fans will pay more attention when there is a Flutie, a Ryan, a Kuechly or a Kiwi (Matthias Kiwanuka) to behold. Otherwise, BC is background noise.

It’s alright to have aspirations, but we can’t all be Tom Brady or LeBron James. At a certain point, you have to be content with your station in life. The Eagles are academic supermodels and ACC football also-rans. Since joining the ACC in 2005, BC is 52-60 in regular-season ACC play and 0-2 in the ACC Championship game. The Eagles haven’t finished with a winning record in ACC regular-season play since 2009. The best they’ve been able to muster since is five 4-4 marks, including the last two years.

As the great football philosopher Duane Charles Parcells said, “You are what your record says you are.”

The Eagles dumped football coach Steve Addazio overboard on Sunday, ending his seven-season tenure with the most BC records possible, a 6-6 mark in 2019 and a 44-44 career mark. He guided BC to bowl eligibility in six seasons, including this one, but could never get the Eagles past the seven-win plateau. The Spirit of 7-6 was always alive and well at Alumni Stadium with Addazio.

Addazio did a good job, especially considering he inherited a downtrodden program that had suffered back-to-back losing seasons and was coming off a 2-10 campaign. Like his program, he was solid, not elite. But a shocking home loss to Kansas and blowout defeats to Clemson (59-7) and Notre Dame (40-7) resonated with the administration. So did his 22-34 record in ACC play.

Addazio made the program reliable and respectable. BC craves more than that.

Possible candidates: Who will succeed Steve Addazio at BC?

Explaining the decision earlier this week, Jarmond, who came from Ohio State and took over in 2017 as the youngest AD of a Power Five school, said he wanted the program to be more competitive in the conference and nationally. He said the program is not “a rebuild” but “a retool for greater heights.”

This is Jarmond’s chance to make his mark. He possesses a grander vision for BC athletics than the hardened skeptics from these parts. He believes BC can fulfill the trope about imitating Harvard during the week and competing with Notre Dame on Saturday. If anyone can bring it to fruition it’s Jarmond. But he’s fighting years of institutional inertia, and more recently a malaise that has enveloped the program.

There is undoubtedly a financial element to Addazio’s ouster. Enthusiasm for the program and season-ticket sales, which are seeing a downward trend across college football, had started to wane with a program that inspired apathy more than fealty while mired in mediocrity.

Jarmond’s baby is the Greater Heights campaign, a $150 million capital drive to upgrade Boston College athletics from facilities to fan engagement. A Forever .500-ish football program fosters numbness, not numbers. It’s almost better to be bad because then alumni and fans are fired up about making improvements and about the prospect of being part of the solution. If a program is really good, they’re eager to associate with the brand and bask in the success.

Under Addazio, BC’s program became middling and emotionally muted. A change could jump-start the business side of BC football.

Changing coaches doesn’t come without risk, because the BC job isn’t an easy one. The academic standards are high, the recruiting territory isn’t fertile, and the competition is daunting, with the Eagles being ACC Atlantic Division cannon fodder for Clemson. Plus, when it comes to pay scale, the perception across the college football landscape is that BC wants Dom Perignon success on a Bud Light budget.

Jarmond is trying to thread the needle. He’s trying to find a unicorn — then keep him.

Any coach good enough to lift the Eagles to national prominence is going to attract job offers from programs with more pay, more resources, and the opportunity to contend for a A new coach won’t be enough to take Boston College football to the big-time
By Christopher L. Gasper Globe Staff,December 3, 2019, 5:58 p.m.

College Football Playoff berth. There is a very small sweet spot for the BC job, one that Tom O’Brien occupied before he departed for North Carolina State.

Bet on BC getting the best coach it can and worrying about retention later.

BC is a wonderful school with a picturesque campus, an enviable academic profile, and an accomplished national alumni base. It enjoys high-level success — the BC women’s’ lacrosse team played for the national championship in May. But BC folks have to accept that The Heights is home to a middle-of-the-pack college football program in perpetuity.

There will be occasional spikes of glory like Doug Flutie’s fling in 1984, David Gordon’s kick to upset No. 1 Notre Dame in 1993, and the Eagles rising to a No. 2 ranking in 2007. But most of the time BC will enjoy solid seasons, low-profile bowl games, great graduation rates, and some NFL draft picks. That should be enough.

It was 35 years ago Tuesday that Flutie was on the cover of Sports Illustrated following the most iconic moment in BC football history, the Hail Flutie touchdown toss to Gerard Phelan. Nationally, that’s still the defining image of BC football.

That doesn’t figure to change anytime soon, and neither does BC’s standing in the college football caste system.

Christopher L. Gasper can be reached at cgasper@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @cgasper.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm

This is a lazy and annoying article. "A new coach won’t be enough to take Boston College football to the big-time" states the headline, and what follows are references to Ohio State, Alabama, and LSU.

Find me two fans, or one outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro, who think that a new coach is what stands between BC football and Alabama status. Or anyone, anywhere, who would contend a priori that changing coaches is a poor choice unless we achieve such status.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm

i think that guy is the pats beat writer for the globe. i bet he hasn't set foot in alumni in years.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 pm

I do like the part about "the spirit of 7-6". that remark was well-done.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm

The Globe runs some version of this piece every few years. As if the excellent teams of the 80s, 90s, '00s (and 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s and 70s at times) are some aberration - and if past were prologue, why did anyone ever think the Patriots could be great before Bledsoe and Parcells?
It's tiresome and yes, we all know popular perception is BC, like all but 4 or 5 schools, shouldn't even bother aspiring and just be happy. Just once I'd like to read someone (outside of this board) write, yes, BC is right to want more and can be great - power 5 league, lots of TV and league money, only game in town for decent D-1 region, long history. Be contrarian to the usual knocks on BC for once.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:24 pm

For Flight Tracker, how do we know that BC has rented that particular flight? Or does BC own the plane?

I don't doubt that Jarmond is flying that way I just wasn't sure how we learned he was on a particular flight.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

It's a BU grad who repeatedly uses strawmen to promote "you are what you are". At least, he admits to BC's academic prominence.

The only thing that should ever be asked when firing a coach is whether an improvement can reasonably be found. The only question that should be asked when hiring is whether this is the best candidate for the job. You do not worry about future events (i.e. retention) and you do not hold other programs as some sort of metric for the new coach to surpass. Luckily for Jarmond (and as back-handedly alluded to in the article), the BC fanbase will allow you to make incremental moves... be that because of intelligence or apathy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:27 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:For Flight Tracker, how do we know that BC has rented that particular flight? Or does BC own the plane?

I don't doubt that Jarmond is flying that way I just wasn't sure how we learned he was on a particular flight.

Does the bathroom in the originating airport have holes between the stalls? If so, TRE.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:This is a lazy and annoying article. "A new coach won’t be enough to take Boston College football to the big-time" states the headline, and what follows are references to Ohio State, Alabama, and LSU.

Find me two fans, or one outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro, who think that a new coach is what stands between BC football and Alabama status. Or anyone, anywhere, who would contend a priori that changing coaches is a poor choice unless we achieve such status.

This
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:For Flight Tracker, how do we know that BC has rented that particular flight? Or does BC own the plane?

None of us is deranged enough to have a premium flight tracking account so we can’t get tail numbers, so we’re just guessing
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm

I hope BC doesn't own a plane. It would be a waste of money since there are so many great charter options.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:55 pm

My butler has one, I will get his credentials.

BC923 {l Wrote}:

None of us is deranged enough to have a premium flight tracking account so we can’t get tail numbers, so we’re just guessing
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Put out feelers to Ryan Day. Nothing to lose. Heck, why not bring Jim Tressel to BC. He could be president and football coach at the same time.

Someone said the West Point coach is a likely candidate but we all know that Marty needs someone more glamorous.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:13 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

I think chartering makes much more sense financially. But if BC wanted a jet not just for their athletic teams but for other administrative use, leasing would probably be the way to go (to save the most money) and get something more than 10 years old. The monthly payments on used aircraft is a fraction of what it would be a new aircraft.

Bombardier has 100 seat jets that BC's BOT could get for very little money. 100 seats would be the perfect size for the school.

https://www.bombardier.com/en/aviation/commercial-aircraft.html

The negative here for the regional jets is range. You aren't flying the team to Miami in the regional jet without a stop. North Carolina might be all that they can do without refueling. But they can do mach-0.8 which is a little faster than the Boeings.

That said, I would still stick with chartering. I'm not sure BC wants to get into the business of having pilots being university employees or (if not that) 1099 as subcontractors.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Flight tracker says the plane just landed in Istanbul. Is Marty planning to bust the Wolfman out of jail and name him HC?

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:21 pm

For what it’s worth (less than nothing):

Gumshoe says a deal is close with Al Washington or Jeff Hafley.

tgosb says there’s increasing interest with Jeff Monken.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:31 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I do like the part about "the spirit of 7-6". that remark was well-done.

Nothing worse than a sportswriter trying too hard with little talent. The apathy, fealty mediocrity line was vomit inducing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:35 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I hope BC doesn't own a plane. It would be a waste of money since there are so many great charter options.

BC owns a g700. It uses the retractable runway over the Res.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

I think chartering makes much more sense financially. But if BC wanted a jet not just for their athletic teams but for other administrative use, leasing would probably be the way to go (to save the most money) and get something more than 10 years old. The monthly payments on used aircraft is a fraction of what it would be a new aircraft.

Bombardier has 100 seat jets that BC's BOT could get for very little money. 100 seats would be the perfect size for the school.

The negative here for the regional jets is range. You aren't flying the team to Miami in the regional jet without a stop. North Carolina might be all that they can do without refueling. But they can do mach-0.8 which is a little faster than the Boeings.

That said, I would still stick with chartering. I'm not sure BC wants to get into the business of having pilots being university employees or (if not that) 1099 as subcontractors.

This is really dumb. Even a cheap lease is expensive plus you need crew and insurance and flight certificates.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:59 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:For what it’s worth (less than nothing):

Al Washington: BC Guy with no management experience who just landed a job in his hometown
Jeff Hafley: a well-regarded mover with no head coaching experience but just announced as a Broyles finalist (as well as a national recruiter award)
Jeff Monken: a brilliant, successful head coach who runs the triple option

I'd venture to say that there isn't an impartial school out there that wouldn't think that the Jeffs are an improvement over Dazoo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Al Washington: BC Guy with no management experience who just landed a job in his hometown
Jeff Hafley: a well-regarded mover with no head coaching experience but just announced as a Broyles finalist (as well as a national recruiter award)

I'd venture to say that there isn't an impartial school out there that wouldn't think that the Jeffs are an improvement over Dazoo.

Apparently Monken is open to adapting his offense too. That being said, neither of Blauds or Mike have heard anything worth a damn.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:11 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:tgosb

Where is my Mission ACComplished Done Deal t shirt? He said he'd give me a free one for grammar corrections on his resume.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

This is really dumb. Even a cheap lease is expensive plus you need crew and insurance and flight certificates.

:81
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

:81

Well... I did say that I thought they should stick with charters. I said that twice in fact. LOL!

I don't think its a good idea for BC to get a jet. I just know the cheapest, the most economical way to go about doing something that I don't think is a good idea. That's all.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm

ATL is pointing out hidden costs you aren't considering and since its established he started his working career under the Hackett brothers at Sandpiper Air, he probably knows more than you.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:ATL is pointing out hidden costs you aren't considering and since its established he started his working career under the Hackett brothers at Sandpiper Air, he probably knows more than you.

One of the Hackett Bros ended up mayor of New Orleans.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Can't say I'm excited by any of these candidates, but I don't think I'll be excited by any realistic candidate so whatever.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

monken is a very good coach, monken will not be our head coach
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy