2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This doesn’t mean anything has been decided or is not a read into Jarmonds mind, but, I was told that Addazio thinks the new coach will be Al Washington

I'm sure Al is a good guy, but what are his qualifications other than having played at BC? No other P5 school would consider him as head coach.

I’m just relaying what someone who is very close to addazio told me. Again, it’s just Addazios opinion.

If it was some kind of package deal where Brown came back as DC that makes it less worrisome I guess
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:38 pm

If you are hiring Washington, you basically need to give him training wheels. You’d have to hand him an accomplished OC and DC and then tell him to stay out of their way and be the hands-off figurehead that Daz refused to be.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:38 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This doesn’t mean anything has been decided or is not a read into Jarmonds mind, but, I was told that Addazio thinks the new coach will be Al Washington

I'm sure Al is a good guy, but what are his qualifications other than having played at BC? No other P5 school would consider him as head coach.

I’m just relaying what someone who is very close to addazio told me. Again, it’s just Addazios opinion.

If it was some kind of package deal where Brown came back as DC that makes it less worrisome I guess

I know, I didn't mean to imply otherwise by quoting you. The question was more of a rhetorical one.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm

i don't like this al/brown thing. i think it will be hafely
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Makes way more sense if Al is going to be the DC, with no head coaching experience on any level, it's too big a risk.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:43 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

WHy?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If you are hiring Washington, you basically need to give him training wheels. You’d have to hand him an accomplished OC and DC and then tell him to stay out of their way and be the hands-off figurehead that Daz refused to be.

Yup, but when those coordinators do well and move on, and puts pressure on Washington to backfill. I'd prefer to find the next Coughlin; someone who can succeed regardless of who fills the coordinator roles.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Al Washington is our Dabo Swinney. Basically been vetted by his time here. This board has FOREVER overrated the HC position in their role in terms of calling offense/defense. I remember some assholes on this board going crazy that TOB didn’t wear a headset. In a well run program, most game day decisions are made midweek based on what to do given certain scenarios. HC is the emcee who trusts his coordinators and is a face of the program ala Dabo. Drinks coffee because he closes. If things go off script they make the big decisions (going for it on 4th down, fakes, etc). Al would be fine as our Dabo as long as he has good coordinators. He has enough experience (DL, LB, RB) position coaching and playing that he would get respect from the players. His response to Butler’s cheap shot on Kiwi is enough alone to earn that.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Makes way more sense if Al is going to be the DC, with no head coaching experience on any level, it's too big a risk.

Bringing in Hafley as HC and Al as DC makes a ton of sense and would be completely plausible as it would be a major promotion for both. That said, I could understand why BC would prefer Wash to Haf. Hafley will have many options going forward in the NFL and college. We’d have to deal with the nervousness of losing our coach. No such concern for Al.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Al Washington is our Dabo Swinney. Basically been vetted by his time here.

This makes all the sense in the world if Bates is doing the hiring. Al was gone before Jarmond took the reigns. They never overlapped.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Who has The Athletic (claver ?) ... I’m guessing the current HC he refs is fickell ?

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1201270956355751936?s=21
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Al Washington is our Dabo Swinney. Basically been vetted by his time here. This board has FOREVER overrated the HC position in their role in terms of calling offense/defense. I remember some assholes on this board going crazy that TOB didn’t wear a headset. In a well run program, most game day decisions are made midweek based on what to do given certain scenarios. HC is the emcee who trusts his coordinators and is a face of the program ala Dabo. Drinks coffee because he closes. If things go off script they make the big decisions (going for it on 4th down, fakes, etc). Al would be fine as our Dabo as long as he has good coordinators. He has enough experience (DL, LB, RB) position coaching and playing that he would get respect from the players. His response to Butler’s cheap shot on Kiwi is enough alone to earn that.

Yup, Addazio had nothing to do with us cracking the rock.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Al Washington is our Dabo Swinney. Basically been vetted by his time here. This board has FOREVER overrated the HC position in their role in terms of calling offense/defense. I remember some assholes on this board going crazy that TOB didn’t wear a headset. In a well run program, most game day decisions are made midweek based on what to do given certain scenarios. HC is the emcee who trusts his coordinators and is a face of the program ala Dabo. Drinks coffee because he closes. If things go off script they make the big decisions (going for it on 4th down, fakes, etc). Al would be fine as our Dabo as long as he has good coordinators. He has enough experience (DL, LB, RB) position coaching and playing that he would get respect from the players. His response to Butler’s cheap shot on Kiwi is enough alone to earn that.

I said well run program. That was one of Addazio’s problem. Wanted to take ownership of everything and dipping his hands in.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Who has The Athletic (claver ?) ... I’m guessing the current HC he refs is fickell ?

Have to assume it is Fickell, Hafley, Washington and PCJR.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Who has The Athletic (claver ?) ... I’m guessing the current HC he refs is fickell ?

Just seeing the top of the article, Feldman says BC would like to take a big swing at Fickell.

BC should look at Norvell too.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I said well run program. That was one of Addazio’s problem. Wanted to take ownership of everything and dipping his hands in.

But why wouldn't you want someone like Coughlin or Saban who have high attention to detail and want to get involved in things?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Daz decided the type of offense he wanted to run and then hired an OC to implement it / call the plays. Pretty straightforward.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:01 pm

They need to find their Pat Fitzgerald. He is 99-79, 9 bowls in 14 seasons and finished ranked 4x. Plenty of 8.9 and 10 win seasons and one Big 10 championship game. He wasn’t a coordinator before Northwestern pegged him to take over. Wouldn’t be surprised if it is Al Washington.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

How many of the floated names are minorities? Is it just Washington? (I admittedly couldn't pick most of these guys off the street if I bumped into them) I wonder if making a minority hire for FB HC is a factor for Jarmond and the school. That's something that could elevate Washington over others.

I love Al - just thinking he might be a little too inexperienced right now.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:10 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

How many of the floated names are minorities? Is it just Washington? (I admittedly couldn't pick most of these guys off the street if I bumped into them) I wonder if making a minority hire for FB HC is a factor for Jarmond and the school.

3 of the 10 Thames mentioned (Tony Elliott, Wash and Reed) are minorities. I think Leahy would love to hire the first minority head coach. That said, Gunnell technically is that for the bowl game.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Feldman's athletic article:

Boston College is not a place with ridiculous expectations for football. That’s probably best evidenced by the tenure of the recently fired Steve Addazio, who was fired Sunday. He lasted seven seasons at BC and never won more than seven games or had a winning record in ACC play, going 21-35 overall. Compare that to 2001-2010, when the Eagles only had one season of less than eight wins and when they finished in the top 25 five times.
This is a pretty attractive job considering the expectations relevant to the program’s history of good success. The recruiting base isn’t great, but as Power 5 conferences go, the ACC is about as manageable as it gets considering there’s only one powerhouse in Clemson.
Word I’m hearing is the Eagles would love to take a big swing at Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell. The 46-year-old former Ohio State defensive lineman has turned the Bearcats into a legitimate Top 25-caliber program. They are 21-4 the past two seasons. The feeling here is that the Ohio native would probably only leave Cincinnati for a really good Big Ten vacancy, but maybe the Eagles could tempt him.
Two other Group of 5 head coaches also on the Boston College radar, according to a person familiar with the matter, are Toledo’s Jason Candle and Appalachian State’s Eli Drinkwitz. Candle is 34-19 with the Rockets, and though his team had a down season at 6-6 this year, I’m told he is still very well-regarded by some key folks in Chestnut Hill. Drinkwitz, 36, has produced a superb debut season, going 11-1. Both guys are considered very bright, creative offensive minds.
Skip Holtz is a New England native and has done a very nice job at Louisiana Tech. He is 9-3 this season, the fourth time he’s won nine in the previous six seasons. The 55-year-old once won 10 games at UConn in the late 1990s.
One NFL coach to know for this vacancy is Shane Waldron, who played at Tufts and has built an impressive résumé since, spending five years on the New England Patriots staff, three years at Notre Dame and a few years at UMass before returning to the NFL, where he linked up with Sean McVay in Washington. The 40-year-old is now the Los Angeles Rams’ passing game coordinator.
There are a bunch of rising star coordinators who might intrigue the Eagles brass. Pedigree and fit could be big factors here. Athletic director Martin Jarmond came from Ohio State and remains well-connected to the Buckeyes program, and there are several good options with Buckeyes ties.
Ohio State co-coordinator Jeff Hafley, 40, is a New Jersey native whose stock continues to rise. The architect of the nation’s No. 1 defense has emerged as a hot name in coaching circles. Hafley has strong ties in the Northeast and the talent-rich Garden State. Before coming to Rutgers, Hafley proved to be an elite recruiter in New Jersey for Pitt.
UCLA coach Chip Kelly said he figured Hafley was “the real deal” right before he hired him on his staff in San Francisco because he coached the secondary for Greg Schiano, himself a former defensive backs coach. “He really reminds me a lot of Ryan (Day),” says Kelly, who coached Day at New Hampshire and worked with him at several coaching stops. “He’s a hell of a teacher.”
Another defensive coordinator who I’m hearing could be in play is Cincinnati’s Marcus Freeman. The 33-year-old former Ohio State linebacker appears destined to run his own program in the not-too-distant future. His unit was No. 11 in the FBS in total defense during the Bearcats’ breakout 2018 season. Freeman was pursued for the Akron and Bowling Green head coaching jobs last year, and word is he really impressed those folks. He also turned down a Power 5 defensive coordinator job.
Another Buckeye who could end up in the mix is Ohio State linebackers coach Al Washington. The 35-year-old played at Boston College in the early 2000s. He spent five seasons as a coach with the Eagles before going from Cincinnati to Michigan to the Buckeyes. He’s done a terrific job this season improving the Buckeyes linebacking group.
An Ivy League guy to watch is Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko. From New Jersey, Elko took a run defense that had an average rank of 11 in the SEC against the the four seasons before he arrived and transformed it into the No. 2 unit in the league. His work at Notre Dame and Wake Forest, two places with tough academic standards, was also outstanding. Temple was very interested in Elko last season before he opted to remain at A&M.
One of Elko’s protégés, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea, also figures to get consideration. Lea, a former Vanderbilt player, has impressed while running the defense in South Bend and could be a very good fit with this vacancy.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Feldman spoke highly of job, expectations are realistic, history of success, acc isn’t great etc

Jarmond would love to take a big swing at fickell

Other current HC: candle and the app state coach

Wildcard nfl name: Shane Waldron w the rams

Then usual coordinator names
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Boston College is not a place with ridiculous expectations for football. That’s probably best evidenced by the tenure of the recently fired Steve Addazio, who was fired Sunday. He lasted seven seasons at BC and never won more than seven games or had a winning record in ACC play, going 21-35 overall. Compare that to 2001-2010, when the Eagles only had one season of less than eight wins and when they finished in the top 25 five times.

This is a pretty attractive job considering the expectations relevant to the program’s history of good success. The recruiting base isn’t great, but as Power 5 conferences go, the ACC is about as manageable as it gets considering there’s only one powerhouse in Clemson.

Word I’m hearing is the Eagles would love to take a big swing at Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell. The 46-year-old former Ohio State defensive lineman has turned the Bearcats into a legitimate Top 25-caliber program. They are 21-4 the past two seasons. The feeling here is that the Ohio native would probably only leave Cincinnati for a really good Big Ten vacancy, but maybe the Eagles could tempt him.

Two other Group of 5 head coaches also on the Boston College radar, according to a person familiar with the matter, are Toledo’s Jason Candle and Appalachian State’s Eli Drinkwitz. Candle is 34-19 with the Rockets, and though his team had a down season at 6-6 this year, I’m told he is still very well-regarded by some key folks in Chestnut Hill. Drinkwitz, 36, has produced a superb debut season, going 11-1. Both guys are considered very bright, creative offensive minds.

Skip Holtz is a New England native and has done a very nice job at Louisiana Tech. He is 9-3 this season, the fourth time he’s won nine in the previous six seasons. The 55-year-old once won 10 games at UConn in the late 1990s.

One NFL coach to know for this vacancy is Shane Waldron, who played at Tufts and has built an impressive résumé since, spending five years on the New England Patriots staff, three years at Notre Dame and a few years at UMass before returning to the NFL, where he linked up with Sean McVay in Washington. The 40-year-old is now the Los Angeles Rams’ passing game coordinator.

There are a bunch of rising star coordinators who might intrigue the Eagles brass. Pedigree and fit could be big factors here. Athletic director Martin Jarmond came from Ohio State and remains well-connected to the Buckeyes program, and there are several good options with Buckeyes ties.

Ohio State co-coordinator Jeff Hafley, 40, is a New Jersey native whose stock continues to rise. The architect of the nation’s No. 1 defense has emerged as a hot name in coaching circles. Hafley has strong ties in the Northeast and the talent-rich Garden State. Before coming to Rutgers, Hafley proved to be an elite recruiter in New Jersey for Pitt.

UCLA coach Chip Kelly said he figured Hafley was “the real deal” right before he hired him on his staff in San Francisco because he coached the secondary for Greg Schiano, himself a former defensive backs coach. “He really reminds me a lot of Ryan (Day),” says Kelly, who coached Day at New Hampshire and worked with him at several coaching stops. “He’s a hell of a teacher.”

Another defensive coordinator who I’m hearing could be in play is Cincinnati’s Marcus Freeman. The 33-year-old former Ohio State linebacker appears destined to run his own program in the not-too-distant future. His unit was No. 11 in the FBS in total defense during the Bearcats’ breakout 2018 season. Freeman was pursued for the Akron and Bowling Green head coaching jobs last year, and word is he really impressed those folks. He also turned down a Power 5 defensive coordinator job.

Another Buckeye who could end up in the mix is Ohio State linebackers coach Al Washington. The 35-year-old played at Boston College in the early 2000s. He spent five seasons as a coach with the Eagles before going from Cincinnati to Michigan to the Buckeyes. He’s done a terrific job this season improving the Buckeyes linebacking group.

An Ivy League guy to watch is Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko. From New Jersey, Elko took a run defense that had an average rank of 11 in the SEC against the the four seasons before he arrived and transformed it into the No. 2 unit in the league. His work at Notre Dame and Wake Forest, two places with tough academic standards, was also outstanding. Temple was very interested in Elko last season before he opted to remain at A&M.

One of Elko’s protégés, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea, also figures to get consideration. Lea, a former Vanderbilt player, has impressed while running the defense in South Bend and could be a very good fit with this vacancy.

(Photo: Joe Sargent / Getty Images)
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Of the names mentioned thus far (between Feldman and Thamel), my favorites (in order) are:
Hafley, Fickell and Elko. Beyond them, I could be convinced that Washington or Waldron wouldn’t be a disaster. Hard pass on the rest.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Presser 9 am

Paging greenarthur
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Of the names mentioned thus far (between Feldman and Thamel), my favorites (in order) are:
Hafley, Fickell and Elko. Beyond them, I could be convinced that Washington or Waldron wouldn’t be a disaster. Hard pass on the rest.

A lot of it is a crap shoot. Let’s be honest Fickell only one with a proven track record of success so after him, it’ll anyone’s guess.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Of the names mentioned thus far (between Feldman and Thamel), my favorites (in order) are:

A lot of it is a crap shoot. Let’s be honest Fickell only one with a proven track record of success so after him, it’ll anyone’s guess.

Ficknell is going to have his pick of jobs. No way get him. Probably the same for Hafley.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Presser 9 am

Paging greenarthur

Feels like there will be a hiring announcement.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:38 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Paging greenarthur

jarmond can't possibly be holding a press conference without having a hire lined up can he? imagine the questions
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Paging greenarthur

jarmond can't possibly be holding a press conference without having a hire lined up can he? imagine the questions

Press conference at 9 with jarmond followed by one with Gunnell

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium