2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I’d rather have Clark Lea than Mike Elko. As I do not think we will end up hiring anyone inspiring, if Leahy even bothers to get rid of the Dazzler, I want Lane Kiffin. While his tenure as SC was obviously a train wreck, he did well at Tennessee and has done well at FAMU. More importantly, his Twitter game is strong to very strong and I could see him posting here if he got the job, which should count for something.

Why Lea to Elko? I think BC would be culture shock for Lea, where Elko would understand how to win at BC and where and who to recruit.

The obvious answer is that Elko left ND and Lea is more loyal because he hasn't yet had the opportunity to leave. That said, WTF are you talking about culture shock? Lea has been tied at the hip with Elko (BG, WF, ND) accept for a few years at Cuse. How in the hell is BC a culture shock... outside of being located near buildings taller than 5 stories?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Wait Lane Kiffin? Lol
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I’d rather have Clark Lea than Mike Elko. As I do not think we will end up hiring anyone inspiring, if Leahy even bothers to get rid of the Dazzler, I want Lane Kiffin. While his tenure as SC was obviously a train wreck, he did well at Tennessee and has done well at FAMU. More importantly, his Twitter game is strong to very strong and I could see him posting here if he got the job, which should count for something.

Why Lea to Elko? I think BC would be culture shock for Lea, where Elko would understand how to win at BC and where and who to recruit.

The obvious answer is that Elko left ND and Lea is more loyal because he hasn't yet had the opportunity to leave. That said, WTF are you talking about culture shock? Lea has been tied at the hip with Elko (BG, WF, ND) accept for a few years at Cuse. How in the hell is BC a culture shock... outside of being located near buildings taller than 5 stories?

I think Lea's defenses have been objectively better than Elko's defense at Notre Dame--and Lea did it without having Jaylon Smith patrolling the middle and basically offsetting most mistakes made upfront. Moreover, Elko has not been setting the world on fire at Texas A&M. I have also been told from people close to the Notre Dame program that Lea presents better than Elko and that Lea has a better rapport with the players than Elko. Finally, when you consider the way Elko departed Notre Dame--the unseemly bidding war, the promise that if ND countered above Texas A&M (which they did the first time) he wouldn't shop the offer to Texas A&M (which he immediately did) lead me to believe that he is a first rate scumbag and someone who would not be a good cultural fit at BC. And I say that as someone who is glad he left Notre Dame because, as I have repeatedly stated, Lea is objectively better by pretty much every metric.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019 ... union.html
The Schiano-Rutgers reconciliation will soon be official. I am pointing this out because (a) I think he would've done well at BC and (b) a reminder that other programs are not going to sit idly by waiting for Daz to win an 8th game. It also should put into focus the importance of the next coach being a national recruiter. Because, picking the low-hanging fruit in Jersey is going to get significantly harder.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm sure there are examples I can't think of, but do reunions like that ever work well? There's UConn and once-future head coach Randy edsall. Whipple/UMass, Bill Walsh/Stanford, Petrino/L'Ville all duds. I guess Bill Snyder at Kansas St is maybe the best example, both tenures were pretty decent.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:38 am

what the hell is nebraska doing giving frost a 2 year extension? he was already signed for the next 5 years and no one is hunting for a coach that is 5-11 on the shitty side of the b1g
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:50 am

It’s too bad BC is always too cheap to hire and keep a very good coach. Matt Campbell gets 3.5 million at ISU, would BC ever step up and go after him? Clay Helton would definitely be worth considering. Unfortunately, BC will not invest the money to get head coaches at this level.

I think our best hope is to get Don Brown to give us 6-8 years. He will be light years better than Daz and leave the program in a position to attract a top coach. He would be a bridge to get through the Leahy years.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby flakes on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It’s too bad BC is always too cheap to hire and keep a very good coach. Matt Campbell gets 3.5 million at ISU, would BC ever step up and go after him? Clay Helton would definitely be worth considering. Unfortunately, BC will not invest the money to get head coaches at this level.

I think our best hope is to get Don Brown to give us 6-8 years. He will be light years better than Daz and leave the program in a position to attract a top coach. He would be a bridge to get through the Leahy years.

Go Eagles!

Matt Campbell is not considering BC. Lateral move. Fickell also waiting for bigger job. He’s not realistic
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Did the fake account really claim that Clay Helton is out of BC’s reach?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Mason safe at Vandy
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Campbell I get. He's done well at Iowa St. Probably thinks he deserves a big time job.

If we can't get Fickell, it's time to shut down the program.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:34 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Campbell I get. He's done well at Iowa St. Probably thinks he deserves a big time job.

Fickell is going to get an interview with USC. On top of that, the last three successful Cincinnati coaches went to Tennessee (where he failed miserably), Michigan State (where he had a very good run) and Notre Dame (where he has endured despite his own mediocrity). Those are all objectively much better jobs than BC. Of course we could sell Fickell on the notion that the last coach to come from Cincinnati to BC won a share of a National Championship. Of course, in that instance, Frank "the Iron Major" Cavanaugh had stops at Holy Cross, Dartmouth, the Western Front of WWI and Omaha before winning the 1920 National Championship with the undefeated Eagles. In addition, he died penniless and blind and warning anyone who would listen not to go into coaching as it will inevitably end in pain and heartbreak.

On the plus side, Pat O'Brien played him in a movie. On the downside O'Brien's roles as Knute Rockne was his far more famous star turn as a legendary college football coach.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:Campbell I get. He's done well at Iowa St. Probably thinks he deserves a big time job.

Fickell is going to get an interview with USC. On top of that, the last three successful Cincinnati coaches went to Tennessee (where he failed miserably), Michigan State (where he had a very good run) and Notre Dame (where he has endured despite his own mediocrity). Those are all objectively much better jobs than BC. Of course we could sell Fickell on the notion that the last coach to come from Cincinnati to BC won a share of a National Championship. Of course, in that instance, Frank "the Iron Major" Cavanaugh had stops at Holy Cross, Dartmouth, the Western Front of WWI and Omaha before winning the 1920 National Championship with the undefeated Eagles. In addition, he died penniless and blind and warning anyone who would listen not to go into coaching as it will inevitably end in pain and heartbreak.

On the plus side, Pat O'Brien played him in a movie. On the downside O'Brien's roles as Knute Rockne was his far more famous star turn as a legendary college football coach.

Dick summed up better than I could why Fickell won’t come here. Bielema is more realistic, same with some other random NFL assistant or underwhelming retread. I would count Roman as a random assistant and I would be fine with that, I guess. He might be clueless with recruiting though.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 pm

If your head coach is recruiting, you're lready screwed. Head coaches close. They also drink coffee. NFL coaches have the ammunition to close better than anyone - they have been in the NFL.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 am

I think Roman is going to be an NFL head coach next year. I would be very surprised if he takes a college job.
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:40 pm

I'd be happy with more than half of that list of top 10 hot seat guys....not that they'd want to be at BC....
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Schiano still not done
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:I'd be happy with more than half of that list of top 10 hot seat guys....not that they'd want to be at BC....

Believe it or not, the head coach position at a power 5 school in the Boston market is a pretty desirable job. I don’t think the talent pool has ever been an issue at BC, it’s the administration’s aversion to picking dynamic (riskier) coaches who can take us to the next level.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Put this in the game thread but it belongs here.

WEEI was mocking Bill O'Brien today, called the Texans "the BC of the NFL, always decent, maybe get an upset, guaranteed to lose every game that can get them to the next level." Then the HJS lightbulb came on and they started raving about how he'd be a perfect fit at BC. I had to laugh, it was like a Tuesday at EO.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm

BC has always been a 2nd class athletic program. Every good coach left over money. If there was any desire to win Daz and JC would have been fired last year. The desire to excel and win championships just does not exist at BC, except in ice hockey, field hockey, women’s lacrosse and coming on strong baseball.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Schiano still not done

There is a belief out of RU that Schiano’s interest in returning to Piscataway is inversely related to Daz’s odds of being fired. Schiano has wanted a crack at the BC job for years. He initially didn’t express interest in the RU job. But, then started talking around the time of NCS/Cuse wins. His demands upped significantly after FSU. He’s asking for new facilities. Top money to hire assistants. And supposedly a 10 year contract. This could be his way of saying “thanks but no thanks.”
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC has always been a 2nd class athletic program. Every good coach left over money. If there was any desire to win Daz and JC would have been fired last year. The desire to excel and win championships just does not exist at BC, except in ice hockey, field hockey, women’s lacrosse and coming on strong baseball.

Go Eagles!

Not for nothing, but excepting firings, usually a good coach leaves any/every program for money.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

There is a belief out of RU that Schiano’s interest in returning to Piscataway is inversely related to Daz’s odds of being fired. Schiano has wanted a crack at the BC job for years. He initially didn’t express interest in the RU job. But, then started talking around the time of NCS/Cuse wins. His demands upped significantly after FSU. He’s asking for new facilities. Top money to hire assistants. And supposedly a 10 year contract. This could be his way of saying “thanks but no thanks.”

wouldn't be overly thrilled w gregorio (think we need to swing for the fences and he does better in a program building job) but the idea of pairing schiano with camp and cleaning up in nj would be interesting
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Jags was active on twitter this week talking about ND week. He probably figures why not give it a shot and remind people he exists.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:31 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

wouldn't be overly thrilled w gregorio (think we need to swing for the fences and he does better in a program building job) but the idea of pairing schiano with camp and cleaning up in nj would be interesting

I just don't see him as a big improvement over Addazio. At least he is not a former O-lineman so he won't be married to the idea of cracking the rock.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Thing I’d be worried about is that Schiano’s success came in the dying days of the shitty Big East. Of course the ACC isn’t much better than that now, but I would still prefer swinging for the fences
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I would not count on Camp being part of a package with Schiano to BC. Rutgers is countering Schiano's demands by saying they will hire the entire Camp family to run the program with either Nunzio as HC or OC or Anthony as HC or DC. Which will certainly save them a lot of money but doesn't make any sense from a looking for instant credibility.

The local NJ writer that wrote about the Camp brothers taking over Rutgers and said the Patron St of Rapists is a good "fit" for BC had in his original article that Greg is a devout Catholic. Someone may have pointed out to him there is a difference between devout Catholic and Born Again Christian. It has since been removed. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium