2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Image

Well done, hansen, and I hope you've scored with that story. Homo Kick of Dicks JS - what are your sources saying? the last dispatch from christopher huang said announcement today.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:02 am

Rumblings about a dark horse candidate who has big time support from certain Trustees (both current and former).
https://uclabruins.com/staff-directory/dana-bible/2682
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 am

EO getting mad about a fake dog twitter account announcing Hafley as coach is probably the best thing that happened this week.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Rumblings about a dark horse candidate who has big time support from certain Trustees (both current and former).

Who would be a worse head coach Dana Bible or Steve Addazio?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:EO getting mad about a fake dog twitter account announcing Hafley as coach is probably the best thing that happened this week.

Let’s be clear, it’s a real dog
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:EO getting mad about a fake dog twitter account announcing Hafley as coach is probably the best thing that happened this week.

And... while I get 50% accuracy on predictions isn't that great it is (a) better than that of any poster here and (b) ultimately impressive whenever a 4-legged mammal is able to navigate the interwebs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am

I imagine any actual announcement would be after the funeral Friday, but enough in advance of next weeks signing day if we are sticking to that sort of timeline.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:

The dog is typing?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am

With all the usual caveats, the rumor going round is that things hit a snag. Jarmond quickly targeted Hafley and made the preliminary offer. Then things went pear shaped when it came to contract terms and all the other stuff that goes into hiring a coach these days. I don't know the specific issue, but apparently they are at an impasse of some sort. The search is now onto other options.

I think Jarmond knows what type of coach he needs. I just hope he is allowed to hire him.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:52 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I imagine any actual announcement would be after the funeral Friday, but enough in advance of next weeks signing day if we are sticking to that sort of timeline.

Ideally, you want the announcement on Friday so the coach can host recruits on the final weekend.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:With all the usual caveats, the rumor going round is that things hit a snag. Jarmond quickly targeted Hafley and made the preliminary offer. Then things went pear shaped when it came to contract terms and all the other stuff that goes into hiring a coach these days. I don't know the specific issue, but apparently they are at an impasse of some sort. The search is now onto other options.

I think Jarmond knows what type of coach he needs. I just hope he is allowed to hire him.

Infuriating if true... we might as well just go with Big Al then if we are going to cheap out on the hire. #nEverToExcel

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 pm

if rutgers is willing to cave to schianos demands there is no reason we shouldn't be able to get hafley unless he just isn't interested no matter the offer.

or, maybe mj is learning the hard way that we are bc
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:39 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Rumblings about a dark horse candidate who has big time support from certain Trustees (both current and former).

Who would be a worse head coach Dana Bible or Steve Addazio?

On a scale of maximum indifference they are about equal.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:42 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:With all the usual caveats, the rumor going round is that things hit a snag. Jarmond quickly targeted Hafley and made the preliminary offer. Then things went pear shaped when it came to contract terms and all the other stuff that goes into hiring a coach these days. I don't know the specific issue, but apparently they are at an impasse of some sort. The search is now onto other options.

Is that from a source or internet rumblings on 247 and EA?

I have heard from the Rutgers guys (before we even fired Addazio) that Hafley wanted the BC job. I do not believe he has any leverage here. We are the last Power 5 job open. As for going back to OSU... sure that is an option and probably with a nice raise. But, then what? Did Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss or even Rutgers target him in their search? The highest paid coordinator in college (Dave Aranda... the DC for the #1 team, a minority and the same age) just interviewed for the freaking UNLV job. PSU's young up-and-coming offensive coordinator (Ricky Rahne) just took the Old Dominion job.

My point is simply that, while BC sucks at pretty much everything under Leahy, and it is well within the realm of possibility that we completely screw this with a Don Brown hire... I also don't think that the candidate can get too cute in his demands. I recall a similar situation with Whipple where he negotiated himself into a forgetful career. There is a MASSIVE difference between Schiano negotiating with the school that worships him and a first time head coach negotiating with a school he has never been.

All that said, I do not think there has been a delay. I predicted that we wouldn't here the choice leak until tonight. I think everyone is freaking out because there is no info... which is par for the course since GDF retired.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Is that from a source or internet rumblings on 247 and EA?

I have heard from the Rutgers guys (before we even fired Addazio) that Hafley wanted the BC job. I do not believe he has any leverage here. We are the last Power 5 job open. As for going back to OSU... sure that is an option and probably with a nice raise. But, then what? Did Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss or even Rutgers target him in their search? The highest paid coordinator in college (Dave Aranda... the DC for the #1 team, a minority and the same age) just interviewed for the freaking UNLV job. PSU's young up-and-coming offensive coordinator (Ricky Rahne) just took the Old Dominion job.

My point is simply that, while BC sucks at pretty much everything under Leahy, and it is well within the realm of possibility that we completely screw this with a Don Brown hire... I also don't think that the candidate can get too cute in his demands. I recall a similar situation with Whipple where he negotiated himself into a forgetful career. There is a MASSIVE difference between Schiano negotiating with the school that worships him and a first time head coach negotiating with a school he has never been.

All that said, I do not think there has been a delay. I predicted that we wouldn't here the choice leak until tonight. I think everyone is freaking out because there is no info... which is par for the course since GDF retired.

i'm guessing we didn't use turnkey if there's been no leaks.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I've got 160 pounds of dog asleep in the two people chairs where they are permitted, and if I measure a snore as a dash and a fart as a dot, the last hour transcribes in Morse code as M A R K W H I P P L Q W S W S Q Q G T R E B L O W S G O A T S Z D E W.

FWIW.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Could it be that MJ made demands (keep Gunnell) and Hafley refused?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby billyshelby on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 pm

If this is true I fear it's because BC is trying to go cheap on his staff. I'll bet Hafley knows exactly who he wants as coordinators.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Here lies the problem when BC doesn't leak info... people who have zero info can manufacture fake news... which is taken as truth by the few who care. In that vein, I give you Blauds' latest missive.
https://mavensports.io/college/tmg/mark ... dp6rtQJuQ/

Jarmond, who has been a fund-raising cyclone and a presence on campus since his arrival at The Heights in June 2016, made his first move by going backs to his base--Ohio State, where he had spent the previous 7 years.
One of Jarmond's first missions at BC was to evaluate the football program, perhaps the main area used to determine the overall effectiveness of an athletic director.
What Jarmond saw with then BC football Steve Addazio was a program which wasn't bad, but wasn't really good, or at least trending to a status as a Top 25 program, a goal Jarmond felt was obtainable.
When BC sputtered at the start of last season, losing 4 of its first 6 games, Jarmond made up his mind. He wanted to make a change and he had his candidate, who just happened to be working at Ohio State.

BC lost 4 of 6 in 2017... not 2016.
Jarmond had worked with Day at OSU. He knew about Day's BC connection--two stints. He knew about his recruiting abilities, he knew that he had NFL experience as well. And he was only 39 years old.

Jarmond and Day never overlapped at OSU and in 2017 Day was 38 (and 37 in 2016).
In short, Day checked out all of the boxes that Jarmond wanted in his next coach.
"I will get back to you on that,'' Smith told Jarmond, while immediately making the decision to find a way to separate OSU from Meyer, who was immersed in several off the field activities, which had led to a 3-game suspension (with Day as interim coach, where OSU was 3-0).
It all happened quickly. Meyer announced his retirement, Day was named the Buckeyes new football coach and Martin Jarmond didn't have his top candidate, which was enough for Jarmond to allow Addazio one more year to prove he could bring BC to the next level.

HCRD was announced as interim in 2018... as was Urban's suspension and retirement.
Essentially, everything he wrote was pure fiction based upon misrembering of somewhat recent events.

That said... as with all crazy, there is sometimes a nugget of truth. I had heard a rumor during the 2017 season that Jarmond (who did not want to make a change that soon) started feeling pressure when Daz started 2-4. I had heard that he did contemplate who he would hire if the losing continued. That person was not HCRD (who he did not know)... that person was Greg Schiano (who he did). Also, kudos to Blauds to also throw Fickell and Bielema into the still a candidate pool.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:45 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:If this is true I fear it's because BC is trying to go cheap on his staff. I'll bet Hafley knows exactly who he wants as coordinators.

Or maybe Hafley demanded 0.0hio St type standards (none) for the players he was allowed to bring in?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

That strikes me as unlikely. The more likely issue is something Hafley wants that BC was unprepared to accept. It does not mean they won't come around on it. It's just that Jarmond has to go rounds with the various people involved in the process on the BC side.

Most seem to think the delay is a bad thing, but I read it different. I think we are seeing somewhat of a culture change at BC over this hire. They are talking like they view this as the biggest hire in a generation. People are using that phrase. We'll see, but I think there is reason to be optimistic.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:08 pm

I still say the decision is made and we should be looking to Cincinnati, but the announcement can't be made because of the stupid bowl game. As a result, for 3 more weeks Martin Jarmond will be playing "Hide the Fickell."
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:17 pm

i have heard from multiple people who would know & who i trust that money is not an issue in this process (same people who have told me it has been an issue before)

ultimately, we will see.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Colorado St. is reportedly kicking the tires on Daz
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:30 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

That strikes me as unlikely. The more likely issue is something Hafley wants that BC was unprepared to accept. It does not mean they won't come around on it. It's just that Jarmond has to go rounds with the various people involved in the process on the BC side. .

Hearing he wants the corners filled in.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Like everyone else, Im obviously grasping at straws because of lack on information (ie this is prob bullshit) ...

https://twitter.com/ToughDSheridan/status/1204620899368013824?s=20
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Chip Long is leaving ND. FAU is on the verge of hiring Willie Taggart. Bajakian officially going to Northwestern.
https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:09 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I've got 160 pounds of dog asleep in the two people chairs where they are permitted, and if I measure a snore as a dash and a fart as a dot, the last hour transcribes in Morse code as M A R K W H I P P L Q W S W S Q Q G T R E B L O W S G O A T S Z D E W.

FWIW.

Any updates?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:26 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I've got 160 pounds of dog asleep in the two people chairs where they are permitted, and if I measure a snore as a dash and a fart as a dot, the last hour transcribes in Morse code as M A R K W H I P P L Q W S W S Q Q G T R E B L O W S G O A T S Z D E W.

FWIW.

Any updates?

I put photographs of Fickel, Big Al, Hafley, Gene D, my uncle, Eddie Fogler, Bielema on the ground, alongside printouts of recent posts from bummer, MoJ, cowboyeagle, space, and huang. The younger one festooned space, my uncle, and Eddie Fogler with a long, sandy poop that came in a bout of extreme concentration and a few forward steps. The other one gave me a powerful RR head tilt (RRs have the strongest head tilt game) then peed in the corner of the yard, and danced around with the remaining papers in a beam of sunshine.

Asleep again. We probably have longer to wait.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:28 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Colorado St. is reportedly kicking the tires on Daz

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-late ... ado-state/
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium